• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

PlayStation 4 Pro |Launch Thread| PS4 Reloaded

guybrushfreeman

Unconfirmed Member
Cheers! Fixed it via a complicated jig of settings and removing/reattaching hdmi cables

That's great! Glad it's figured out. I'll steal my edit from above as well:

Edit: The Firewatch theme still looks amazing on the Pro thankfully by the way. Still the best theme on the system

Brandon F

Well congratulations! You got yourself caught!
Have my Firecuda ready to go, do I need to format it before replacing the drive in the Pro? exFat or FAT32 if so? I plan on putting in the new 2tb drive before even turning on the system initially with the included 1tb. I want to do a straight 2tb->2tb transfer between my PS4's.

Also, do I need to sign into PSN on the new console before doing an ethernet transfer? Like during the first boot initialization? Wouldn't that sign me out of the OG PS4 and deactivate that console before I even start the process? Would that be problematic?

Still just completely unsure on how this all is supposed to go.

Certinty

How nice, my PS4 Pro arrived with 2 huge scratches at the bottom.

Amazon offered me a £33.24 refund or a replacement but I would have to wait over a week for that. So I took the partial refund, scratches are at the bottom anyway.

grizzelye

Got my Pro today!

Installed the following:

Uncharted 4
The Last Of Us Remastered
World Of Final Fantasy
Disgaea 5
Street Fighter V
Gravity Rush
Bloodborne

Really looking forward to The Last Guardian.

Impressions of the console coming from X1/X1S - Controller is sturdy, but still prefer X1 (Triggers/Ergonmics), but def not as cheaply made as posts I have read over the years, seem to make it. Feels same build quality as the new X1S controller.

I like that the OS is two menus away to what you want, MS can take some of those, and implement into their OS. When I highlight a game, it very quickly loads up the store options for said game, which I like a lot.

Hate the default avatar pics, not as good as the gamer pics on X1

guybrushfreeman

Unconfirmed Member
Have my Firecuda ready to go, do I need to format it before replacing the drive in the Pro? exFat or FAT32 if so? I plan on putting in the new 2tb drive before even turning on the system initially with the included 1tb. I want to do a straight 2tb->2tb transfer between my PS4's.

Also, do I need to sign into PSN on the new console before doing an ethernet transfer? Like during the first boot initialization? Wouldn't that sign me out of the OG PS4 and deactivate that console before I even start the process? Would that be problematic?

exFAT is easiest but FAT32 is fine, the PS4 reformats it anyway so I think it can be anything. Put the new 2TB in the Pro and then put the full update file on a USB under PS4>UPDATE and let it initialise. Then sign in on both consoles and start the transfer. You could deactivate the OG PS4 at any time it shouldn't matter.

SHarris78

No need to format the drive - I performed the swap myself earlier. As for signing in, i signed into my PSN account on my Pro, only then did I remember to plug in the Ethernet lead and turn on my OG PS4, worked fine - really straight forward thankfully !

madmackem

Cw6N4__XEAEV7Vs.jpg:large

Not a great pic but might be useful for pixel counters? Dishonored 2 running in 1080p but it seems screenshot grab is 4K?.

Brandon F

exFAT is easiest but FAT32 is fine, the PS4 reformats it anyway so I think it can be anything. Put the new 2TB in the Pro and then put the full update file on a USB under PS4>UPDATE and let it initialise. Then sign in on both consoles and start the transfer. You could deactivate the OG PS4 at any time it shouldn't matter.

Oh so before I do any transfering or even connecting the two consoles, I need to pull the newest firmware on a USB and make sure my new 2tb is ready to go and the console is fully updated?

Once that is all good and I am signed into PSN on the Pro with an empty 2tb, then I can connect the two systems and start the long-ass transfer? (I will be transferring 1.6tb(!) as most of my installed games are Pro-enabled content or games I am currently playing)

alarre1

Neo Member
FYI, you can buy the PRO at Frys with no sales tax if you're using today's promo code. Going to pick mine up during lunch :)

Loudninja

World of Tanks:
While the game already looks fantastic on PS4, it’s jaw dropping on PS4 Pro. We’re rendering each frame at 3200 x 1800 resolution and the PS4 Pro does a high quality upscale from that to 4K which is 3840×2160 pixels. Tank and terrain textures are stunningly detailed, even up close. The already lush vegetation looks fuller and more natural on PS4 Pro due to the higher quality anti-aliasing.
There’s no question you’re going to want to play this on an HDR-enabled TV with your PS4 Pro. World of Tanks has always done its lighting in HDR and tone mapped the results. Now you’ll be able to see the true output of this lighting. HDR allows for a wider and more dynamic range of lighting and colors. You’ll see more detail in our HDR skies and physically-based lighting, particularly in levels like Siegfried Line War and Hills. The vibrant colors of the vegetation in the Karelia swamps are more intense and lifelike, and the water looks cool, blue, and inviting in its richness.
http://blog.us.playstation.com/2016/11/10/world-of-tanks-enhancing-the-battle-with-ps4-pro/

ktroopa

Do you need to deactivate your OG PS4 first or can you just start up the pro. I read sonewhere it asks you if you want to initialise it or something?

Anung

Un Rama
Can't be arsed swappig HDD's about so I'll just stick with the pro one until I can afford a new 2tb. What would easier to move saves across? Ethernet or just the cloud?

Anybody grabbing a ps plus year subscription card make sure you check if your store has the $50 sku. Mine did but they hid them in back. The guy tried to lie to me but I told him it says the store has them in stock online and made him grab me one from the back. I just saved $10 like a fucking boss!

guybrushfreeman

Unconfirmed Member
Oh so before I do any transfering or even connecting the two consoles, I need to pull the newest firmware on a USB and make sure my new 2tb is ready to go and the console is fully updated?

Once that is all good and I am signed into PSN on the Pro with an empty 2tb, then I can connect the two systems and start the long-ass transfer? (I will be transferring 1.6tb(!) as most of my installed games are Pro-enabled content or games I am currently playing)

The console doesn't need to be updated first but you will need the update on a USB and it will pull it from that once you switch the drives. I put the new drive in my PS4 Pro before ever plugging it in. After that it should be pretty smooth but pretty long to transfer that much data

Brandon F

The console doesn't need to be updated first but you will need the update on a USB and it will pull it from that once you switch the drives. I put the new drive in my PS4 Pro before ever plugging it in. After that it should be pretty smooth but pretty long to transfer that much data

Ok, but the firmware I assume needs to be updated before transferring right? I mean I will install the new drive first thing before plugging in the Pro at all, but before transferring, I should be running the latest 4.05 firmware that I got from a USB stick right?

Probably overthinking this whole process...I have covered wars you know and this is making me more nervous!

Vuze

is it true that the console takes only 4K upscaled screenshots of non-'enhanced' games? Another questionable design decision if true. Waste of space.

martino

Wasn't on the good ps4 to display advancement
So it transfered 85go in 2 hours --> 11Mo/s. it's bad
it will take 9hours and 1/2 for 346go transfert.
will stop it and launch it when i go to sleep ...

guybrushfreeman

Unconfirmed Member
Ok, but the firmware I assume needs to be updated before transferring right? I mean I will install the new drive first thing before plugging in the Pro at all, but before transferring, I should be running the latest 4.05 firmware that I got from a USB stick right?

Probably overthinking this whole process...I have covered wars you know and this is making me more nervous!

It's okay, haha. You'll have the latest firmware on the USB. It's this link if you need it. http://dus01.ps4.update.playstation...41cfe2f0dec1bb4663571de78ae31cf/PS4UPDATE.PUP

So once it's done installing that you'll be 'updated' already and ready to go.

guybrushfreeman

Unconfirmed Member
is it true that the console takes only 4K upscaled screenshots of non-'enhanced' games? Another questionable design decision if true. Waste of space.

I'll check, just a minute

Edit: oops sorry for the double post

Edit: yes, that does seem to be true. You can choose 4K or 1080 screenshot from the menu but it doesn't automatically take 1080 shots of non 4K games. This mean files sizes are almost 4x the size they really need to be. A normal screenshot of The Tomorrow Children is about 2MB in png format but this shot https://abload.de/img/thetomorrowchildren_2wfs2f.png is 7MB desptire the game not being Pro supported

Brandon F

Wasn't on the good ps4 to display advancement
So it transfered 85go in 2 hours --> 11Mo/s. it's bad
it will take 9hours and 1/2 for 346go transfert.
will stop it and launch it when i go to sleep ...

Well, I guess I will delete as many games as possible. Wanted to transfer everything that is PS4 Pro upgraded over, but it may be faster to transfer nothing and redownload from PSN actually.

Playing through infamous SS at 4k is insane, never thought I'd see the game so sharp, and the HDR is game changing, it's really unfortunate this game crushes blacks

kriskrosbbk

Guys my Pro came with default sound output HDMI and PCM(linear).
Honestly I never understood these settings.I am using not that fancy Philips 5.1 and the setup is like this:pS4 PRO to TV with HDMI and then TV to Philips with optical cable. Should I leave it like this or use Dolby/DTS under HDMI.

VertPin

I got my PS4 Pro. First one at work. We only got nine in stock. :)

All I need now is a 1080p60fps/2160p30fps Pro patch for Bloodborne. Apparently it's impossible though :/

Okay, so I just got reserved mine for instore pickup at Target.

Did the 10% off + 5% off Red Card trick so I got it for 360 out the door.

Top Bottom