• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

PlayStation 4 Sales Surpass 7.0 Million Units (April 6th), 20.5M Software (April 13)

Mr Moose

To all those who believe that TLOU:R is a major killer- you seemed to forget that although TLOU sold like cakes, it didn't expand the userbase at all, it won June NPD at the time but XBOX beat PS3 again in NA.
Ps3 sales only increased by something like 10,000 units compared to may, TLOU didn't move units, only sold to the same user base.
Tlou:R won't change that all of a sudden, it's not a system seller.

So you are saying TLoU:R is the Titanfall for the PS4?

You okay with paying 610USD?

Standard SKU is 1849 Polish Zloty, which comes to about 610USD. =P
~480€

That's... Expensive.

Skeff

Why on earth is it so expensive? It should be 400 euros, or is it due to being an inFamous bundle?.. which should still be at 450 euros rather than 480?

Because Stock is still selling out, despite the picture, at those prices. that stack is all they will likely receive for 2 weeks to a month and will certainly be gone by the time they get new stock.

Revs

Poland is an European market so you shouldn't compare it to US prices.
Europe have more smaler countries with different languages, laws, distribution channels, warranty rules, less liberal market, larger currency risk etc. All those things make price of electronics and software higher, the rule of thumb is: Price of x$ in US translates to x€ in EU. And in case of PS4 400$ translates to 400€. But it is obvious.

So PS4 + Infamous should cost: 400€ + 60€ = 460€.
But... it costs 2 000 PLN = 480€.
So 20€ is the price we pay for not being in Eurozone.

SeanR1221

Saw some pallets of PS4's at my Costco yesterday, bundles (console, 1 year of PS+, extra controller) for $489.

They're definitely showing up in the wild now, even my rinky dink Gamestop has some. I'm in the Western Philly suburbs

About time too, want to pick one up in a couple of weeks.

!

We probably live right near each other. How far are you from King of Prussia?

jryi

Senior Analyst, Fanboy Drivel Research Partners LLC
Well, 449€ is quite standard price for PS4 (without a game) here in Finland (includes 24% VAT).

Its a new generation.

We have no idea what kinda affect it will have on the PS4.

It also launched 5 months before the new consoles were out, it, it was never going to have any sort of massive effect that late in a generation, where the die has already been cast.

But from out of my ass observations it will have played a part in some peoples choice to have switched to Sony, they saw sony weren't just phoning it in the lass couple of years and knocking out another sequeled franchise but, a new IP 5 months before their next console hit. And not just a new IP a game of the year IP.

Its a game with genuine hype about it, not just before the game, but after its release, through to its DLC. Its not going to sell consoles alone, but the PS4 doesnt need console sellers, TLOU iust gives another string to the bow of the console.

I'm also interested in seeing how people who have swapped from the 360 to the PS4 think of the game,

kadotsu

Banned
amachalkfcj.jpg

It is weird that even at a significant value gap the XB1 sales were only boosted for a short while. As anecdotal as amazon data is it probably is indicative for a real trend for XB1 sales in Europe, especially since the UK is probably MS' strongest region. MS needs to be way more aggressive in Europe.

TomShoe

Banned
It is weird that even at a significant value gap the XB1 sales were only boosted for a short while. As anecdotal as amazon data is it probably is indicative for a real trend for XB1 sales in Europe, especially since the UK is probably MS' strongest region. MS needs to be way more aggressive in Europe.

To be honest, what else can they really do price-wise besides drop the Kinect in the UK? They've effectively slashed 120 Euro off the price since launch (price cuts + bundle). Other than a new game that caters to the market, they really can't get much lower, nor can they sell vanilla Xbox Ones full price without sales dropping off a cliff.

iceatcs

Thanks Revs.

So we know that there is 7 million + 45 'from one shop' shipped.

7.5 to 8 million shipped by now?

To all those who believe that TLOU:R is a major killer- you seemed to forget that although TLOU sold like cakes, it didn't expand the userbase at all, it won June NPD at the time but XBOX beat PS3 again in NA.
Ps3 sales only increased by something like 10,000 units compared to may, TLOU didn't move units, only sold to the same user base.
Sony doesn't need a system seller. They already sell everything they make.
Many new PS4 owners were 360 owners before and would be happy to play TLoU in higher res.

Last time they had between a year and eighteen months head start, they had a huge price advantage, they had the better versions of multiplatform games, and they still came last by the end of it.

This is pretty much the gist of it.
People need to realize that PS3 sold the same amount of machines as 360 in one year less, while coming out the same time as the Wii and also dealing with a whole lot of other issues (price, multiplatforms, etc...).
The brand is way stronger worldwide than Xbox is or ever was, that's the reason we're seeing PS4 taking over in virtually all territories, since they don't have any of those disadvantages.

MS had no hope in Europe as soon as PS4 was coming out the same time as them .
It being cheaper made it worst and mean they were going to lose what ever market share they got last gen in Europe by a fair amount.

Call me crazy, but I think things can still change greatly.

Is the PS4 not the most powerful console in the run? The most powerful console doesn't win, and I'm sticking to that. If the opposite happens, it will be highly unusual. Right now, the PS4 is selling to those early adopters, based mostly on specifications and promise, that will pass like gas. Even the PS2 had DVD as a killer application, before the real software kicked in. So we'll see what happens in the long run. I think the picture can change dramatically very quickly.

Things can definitely change, It's foolish to assume otherwise. PS3 had a terrible start but for different reasons, and it turned it around later in the gen. The XB1 isn't in the same boat as WiiU, who's issues are much harder to fix.

No peasant can become a king anyways, not while the champ is still selling more
macbooks and low spec PCs :(

WHO CAN RUN THE MOST POPULAR GAME IN THE WORLD :)

Hoo-doo

Banned
Because the system seller is the system itself, not the games.

The games are the system sellers.

COD, Battlefield, Madden, FIFA, NBA, Assassin's Creed, Metal Gear Solid.

These are the system sellers right here. And they all look and play better on the cheaper system.
It's fun to talk about the impact of exclusive FPS X or RPG Y, but looking from a distance, these only really matter to the hardcore enthusiasts like all of us here on GAF.

(i'm trying to find the Y2Kev/other mod post that i'm referencing this from)

The masses want to play the big name hits. The PS4 offers all of those in a cheaper package. Simple.

D

Deleted member 752119

Unconfirmed Member
Saw some pallets of PS4's at my Costco yesterday, bundles (console, 1 year of PS+, extra controller) for $489.

They're definitely showing up in the wild now, even my rinky dink Gamestop has some. I'm in the Western Philly suburbs

About time too, want to pick one up in a couple of weeks.

My Costco had had them since mid march. I nabbed one on the 14th and they've had stick the two times I've been back since. Target snd best buy have had them lately as well. Atlanta area.

I Wanna Be The Guy

U-S-A! U-S-A! U-S-A!
The games are the system sellers.

COD, Battlefield, Madden, FIFA, NBA, Assassin's Creed, Metal Gear Solid.

These are the system sellers right here. And they all look and play better on the cheaper system.
It's fun to talk about the impact of exclusive FPS X or RPG Y, but looking from a distance, these only really matter to the hardcore enthusiasts like all of us here on GAF.

(i'm trying to find the Y2Kev/other mod post that i'm referencing this from)

The masses want to play the big name hits. The PS4 offers all of those in a cheaper package. Simple.
Those are all games they can already play on current systems. Playing those games on the cheapest package isn't the PS4. It's spending nothing and continuing on the consoles they currently use.

Those games might be what they buy once they get the system, but they aren't the reason they're buying the system. They're buying the system because of the system itself. It's new, shiny, has better word of mouth and is cheaper than the competing new shiny system.

Is the PS4 not the most powerful console in the run? The most powerful console doesn't win, and I'm sticking to that. If the opposite happens, it will be highly unusual. Right now, the PS4 is selling to those early adopters, based mostly on specifications and promise, that will pass like gas. Even the PS2 had DVD as a killer application, before the real software kicked in. So we'll see what happens in the long run. I think the picture can change dramatically very quickly.

Things can change? Sure. No doubt about it.

But the PS4 isn't selling more only because it's more powerfull. The PS4 is selling more than Xbox One because it's more powerfull, cheaper, have better versions of multiplatform games and because not all features are behind a paywall.

Those are all games they can already play on current systems. Playing those games on the cheapest package isn't the PS4. It's spending nothing and continuing on the consoles they currently use.

Those games might be what they buy once they get the system, but they aren't the reason they're buying the system. They're buying the system because of the system itself. It's new, shiny, has better word of mouth and is cheaper than the competing new shiny system.
Those games are selling more on new hardware.

BF is different on PS4 compare to PS3 so that really can be a system seller .
People want to play there games on better hardware even if it's the same games with better gfx and having some the biggest IPs in gaming on it makes them a system seller.
Alone with everything else.

Y2Kev

TLG Fan Caretaker Est. 2009

That doesn't really make sense. They're buying the system for the system itself? And what do they do with it?

It's not always about being the cheapest option. There are enough consumers out there and we are early enough in the process that the best option can also be a strong influence.

Everyone assumes lay people are so stupid and full of whimsy. They're buying it because it is "shiny"?

The PS3 and PS4 are in very different stages. TLOU wasn't really expected to push console sales that late in the generation when it was already at 80M or so. It could conceivably be a system seller for PS4 with its much lower base, but PS4's don't need much to sale now regardless.

ascii42

So...your idea is that the Xbox One is suddenly going to start outselling the PS4 on the basis of being less powerful? Okay.

I Wanna Be The Guy

U-S-A! U-S-A! U-S-A!
That doesn't really make sense. They're buying the system for the system itself? And what do they do with it?

It's not always about being the cheapest option. There are enough consumers out there and we are early enough in the process that the best option can also be a strong influence.

Everyone assumes lay people are so stupid and full of whimsy. They're buying it because it is "shiny"?
Shiny, new and with word of mouth and hype behind it. They're playing games on the new system that they can already play on the old system. That says it all doesn't it? If the games are the same on the new system then it has to be something about the system itself that's making the system worth buying.

TsuWave

Is the PS4 not the most powerful console in the run? The most powerful console doesn't win, and I'm sticking to that.

so essentially being less powerful than competitors is the fail-proof method to sell consoles in the long run?

Hoo-doo

Banned

Yes they are. What are you implying they buy the thing for, just to look at it?

No. The appeal of better-looking and better-playing versions of the big franchises people know and love is the biggest incentive to transition to the next generation of consoles.
Sure, some exclusives might actually spur the same kind of reaction, but that doesn't negate the fact that for a lot of people, the system sellers are already there.

Sony is still selling every unit they make for crying out loud, that's not through people that just want the "new and shiny" like you seem to think.

Shiny, new and with word of mouth and hype behind it. They're playing games on the new system that they can already play on the old system. That says it all doesn't it? If the games are the same on the new system then it has to be something about the system itself that's making the system worth buying.

Where do you think that the "hype" and "word of mouth" comes from? People playing games.
Or do you really think that people are hyped as fuck for these sweet PS4 OS transitions and the gloss-factor of the plastic casing.

Completely different.

TLoU sold at the end of the generation. At that point the user bases for both consoles were firmly set, the consoles were out for seven years at that point.

If you wanted a PS3 you would have had one by then.

Top Bottom