• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

PlayStation All-Stars Battle Royale Discussion Thread 2 (read OP first)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Honestly might not be so bad in time attack, since 1 super can bring 3 points for the single guy and the three guys have to split damage between 3 different super meters.

Good luck getting much AP with 3 people just ganging up on you.

Sony press-conference for TGS is next week right? I can't wait.
2 weeks I think. Luckily beta is online again next week.

Noi

That is a Japan only game iirc.

The DMC reboot is aimed more at the western audience, just like PS All-Stars.

That's what I meant though. I'd be less miffed about us getting Dino if Capcom actually tried to market him in every region, not just the West. :/

I kinda relate with your friend, since Enslaved to me was one of the worst games I've ever played. So even before the game was revealed the rumor that they were working on a new DMC made me puke.

I should go rent Heavenly Sword since I hear the combat is at least a bit better, even if it's still marred with technical issues.

Honestly might not be so bad in time attack, since 1 super can bring 3 points for the single guy and the three guys have to split damage between 3 different super meters.

Your character could have partial super armor/invincibility and he could flip out of combos faster. It could be handicapped in his favor easily, but it might not be as fun as in Smash Bros where you have more freedom in movement. First tournament should definitely be 2 vs 2 though, I think that'll be more fun than 1 vs 1.

Noi

NyVZl.jpg

Challenge accepted.

One unresolved issue is how to handle move-specific barks. In many fighting games, when characters perform a special attack--such as Ryu's hadoken--he or she will call out the name of the attack or give some other audio cue. Presently, the characters in All-Stars don't do this. Prior explained that when you're battling with four other people, having everyone call out move names every single time creates a lot of noise and confusion. Testing is still ongoing to find the right balance.

AHHAHAHAHAHAHAAHHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA

ARE YOU FUCKING KIDDING ME AAHHAHAHAHAHAHAAHAHAHAHAHAH

Sandover_Jax_And_Daxter_PaintoverV2_42284_640screen.jpg

A nearly complete concept of the Sandover Village from Jak & Daxter.

Thanks for the link, holy shit ahahahaahah

Drencrom

One unresolved issue is how to handle move-specific barks. In many fighting games, when characters perform a special attack--such as Ryu's hadoken--he or she will call out the name of the attack or give some other audio cue. Presently, the characters in All-Stars don't do this. Prior explained that when you're battling with four other people, having everyone call out move names every single time creates a lot of noise and confusion. Testing is still ongoing to find the right balance.

Really bots? Every move doesn't need a "move-specific bark", just the attacks with a delay and the ones that makes sense that the character would grunt or say something. You could always have different versions of the grunt or whatever to make it less repetitive.

Where's my reward?

Exactly. They don't need to shout it for all their simple attacks. Hell, even if it's for special ones, they don't need to open their trap every single time. It's so common in fighting games that voice clips are used sparingly but effectively. I'll use timelines to explain:

Action \/
Jab_Jab_Jab_Jab_Jab_Jab
Hm!____Huh!____Hah!__
Vocals /\

A player hits the jab button 6 times in rapid succession, yet he only shouts 3 times. However, there are fighting games where shit is definitely repetitive, like Street Fighter. Throw a Hadoken 5 times in a row and you hear the exact same voice. Then there are games where characters simply don't have a shut the fuck up button. Example:

Action: blocking a single attack
Quote: Nice try!

*Character blocks 10 rapid attacks*: NICETRYNICETRYNICETRYNICETRYNICETRYNICETRYNICETRYNICETRYNICETRYNICETRY

This was one of my many suggestions but ah fuck it, this is just way too funny. Variation and moderation, that's what it boils down to.

I watched the gamespot video. One of the podcast beyond guys (who got to see everything a while back) said more surprises are left to come.

20 main characters huh. Not sure if final roster or just trying to confuse. I will be surprised if the last TGS characters are not on disc.

Well I guess it's possible that TGS characters have no story mode, challenges and such If they rushed them. Or maybe they really have the balls to reveal DLC characters 2 months before release :I. Maybe there is no TGS characters and Gale and Omar are just talking out of their ass. Maybe they want to pleasantly surprise.

I don't know whats going on anymore. Hold me GAF ;_;.

I-hate-u

It irks me that we are this close to the launch and there are key characters that are worthy of being called All-Stars are not confirmed yet.

Maybe they are keeping it as a last minute wow surprise but I am unsure they will get the rest of the roster right

Takao

Banned
It irks me that we are this close to the launch and there are key characters that are worthy of being called All-Stars are not confirmed yet.

Maybe they are keeping it as a last minute wow surprise but I am unsure they will get the rest of the roster right

Or Crash Bandicoot, and Cloud just aren't in this game. Superbot doesn't want to say it yet in hopes of keeping eyes glued to their media which would hopefully still get them to buy the game even without their heroes.

I-hate-u

I wish there is a timeline somewhere that highlights the top tier franchises that enriched the playstation (1-3/psp/vita) library and has to have a representative in the game.

Off the top of my head
Crash
Resident Evil
Final Fantasy
Shadow of the Colossus
etc, etc

B.O.O.M

'20 main characters'

sounds like the final roster to me. More will come as DLC

I am very disappointed to be perfectly honest

J-Tier

I think 20 main characters means 20 characters that have a story. Doesn't seem like other characters/dlc characters will have a fleshed out story.

SmithnCo

I think 20 main characters means 20 characters that have a story. Doesn't seem like other characters/dlc characters will have a fleshed out story.

I was suspecting that too. That would kinda suck, Kat could have a funny story. But I'd be fine with it, online is where most of the time will be spent.

SSReborn

Well I don't necessarily think so especially if they are just doing an arcade ladder storyline. In MK9 all the dlc characters ended up having a storyline.

Your reality check is a bit silly. I mean basically what you're saying is ' I know a guy and he's not happy!' Well I also know the biggest devil may cry fan ever and he's down for trying the new game even if he's disappointed by the 30fps, he was turned around from trying it himself at a trade-show and the other positive impressions. The series damn well needs something, maybe DmC will be it. Also, alternate costumes dude. Sheesh.

I'd love to be proven wrong, if Ninja Theory finally makes a competent game, but if their track record is any thing to go by.. it's probably going to fail too. This isn't some new IP they can just wing either, this is Devil May Cry we're talking about - a franchise known for having awesome combat that's extremely fluid and responsive with zero technical problems.

On top of that, the original Dante just oozed coolness without even trying, while the new one is just trying to be cool, but ending up a douche instead. He isn't likable at all, the majority of the fan outcry against this reflects this sentiment too.

I kinda relate with your friend, since Enslaved to me was one of the worst games I've ever played. So even before the game was revealed the rumor that they were working on a new DMC made me puke.

I should go rent Heavenly Sword since I hear the combat is at least a bit better, even if it's still marred with technical issues.

Heavenly Sword was fun, it just had some pretty bad issues that held it back. It kind of reminds me of Lair? I enjoyed it, I love dragons but there were some serious issues in that game as well.

Yeah this is really, really saddening. Now it all makes sense why the characters are so damn quiet. That's one of the main things I love about various fighting games, what the characters say when they're doing moves. Captain Falcon is my main character in SSB, if that doesn't say something right there. One of my favorite fighting games of all time is Tech Romancer, where the characters are basically a parody on mecha anime and yell as much as possible.

... I really hope they realize how much of a mistake it is to have everyone silent, to avoid making things confusing. It won't. It helps give you an AUDIO CUE when you're doing stuff, or when other people are doing stuff. -_-

Yeah thats what I think. 2 more characters rushed to make it on disc, possibly the ones Mink is talking about. No story, no challenges, maybe not even costumes.

J-Tier

Yeah this is really, really saddening. Now it all makes sense why the characters are so damn quiet. That's one of the main things I love about various fighting games, what the characters say when they're doing moves. Captain Falcon is my main character in SSB, if that doesn't say something right there. One of my favorite fighting games of all time is Tech Romancer, where the characters are basically a parody on mecha anime and yell as much as possible.

... I really hope they realize how much of a mistake it is to have everyone silent, to avoid making things confusing. It won't. It helps give you an AUDIO CUE when you're doing stuff, or when other people are doing stuff. -_-

Well...it does say they're looking for the right balance. They didn't say they're not putting audio cues in.

SSReborn

'20 main characters'

sounds like the final roster to me. More will come as DLC

I am very disappointed to be perfectly honest

I found this new thread on the official forums started by indm50

Edit: Forgot the link lol http://community.us.playstation.com/t5/PlayStation-All-Stars-Battle/Still-not-announced-all-characters/m-p/38197329#U38197329

In the Playstation Latam Facebook page they posted pictures of all the characters revealed.

But in the comments they say in spanish (replied to somebody called Max) : estos no son todos los personajes y seguimos presentando

In english : These are not all the characters and we continue presenting

Here is the FB Page : http://www.facebook.com/Latam.PlayStation

^ That mixed in with the fact that Colin from IGN says there are more suprises left. So all hope is not lost and when he was saying 20 characters he was reffering to the already announced ones.

cyborg009

Banned
When I look at this i think of NSMB Wii then looking back at title fight demo makes me think the game wasn't a fighting game at first.

ratchet_level_3d_paintover_wip_02_91332_640screen.jpg

www.youtube.com/watch?v=5bPxlimYacc
2:10 Sackbot minion doing... something. Kudos to PS forums.

Lol. it is hard for me to see what's going on there but that is cool to see that minions can be part of the battle.

At the 2:53 mark Ivan talks about the give and take relationship with the IP holders and think subtly hints at why certain characters and looks were chosen

Edit: I just beat Tomba and would gladly put money towards him as DLC!!!

SSReborn

When I look at this i think of NSMB Wii then looking back at title fight demo makes me think the game wasn't a fighting game at first.

ratchet_level_3d_paintover_wip_02_91332_640screen.jpg

The article says that it was originally a capture the flag game lol. Which would definitely fit with the level design.

Kouichi

Found this article at Gamespot about The story of SuperBot:

http://l.gamespot.com/Q2s5Ti

That was a good read and a great video. Gah, I'm so hyped for this game!

The article says that it was originally a capture the flag game lol. Which would definitely fit with the level design.

I can't wait to see how the capture the flag mode plays. It would be awesome if they kept their old stage concepts for the mode.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom