• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Playstation Move Thread: It Only Does Everything

SSJ1Goku

Banned
snap0212 said:
Argh, Amazon just sent me an e-mail telling me that they don't even know when they will be able to deliver my Move. Called a few stores not one single store has a friggin Move-Controller left. I've never experienced that before. My guess is that Move will do pretty good in Europe.

Soooooooooo we won't be able to walk into the store and buy one :lol

Carl said:
Meh i very much doubt ThatGameCompany has Move SDKs when they made Flower...I doubt Idol Minds had Move SDKs when making PAIN...I doubt Team Ramrod had Move SDKs when making HVB.

You get the point.
Slightly smaller games though (PSN games that can be completely revamped), but yeah, they may be full of shit, we´ll never know.

Just came back from my local Media Markt and through some trickery managed to get the EU 320GB Move bundle + Sports Champions for 369€. Not a bad deal at all. :D

Bradach

No45 said:
Dead Space 2 (And Extraction, but we knew that already) confirmed for Move apparently. :)
just watched the EA conference on IGN, it was extraction they were talking about, not DS2 :(

They need to implement move controls into DS2, imagine twisting the move controller to get a vertical cut, you could slice and dice the necromorphs effortlessly!

TTP

Have a fun! Enjoy!
Bradach said:
just watched the EA conference on IGN, it was extraction they were talking about, not DS2 :(

They need to implement move controls into DS2, imagine twisting the move controller to get a vertical cut, you could slice and dice the necromorphs effortlessly!

Was it developed with the Move in mind from the ground up, you could twist the Move to any degree, not just horizontally / vertically. That would have been awesome.

TTP

Have a fun! Enjoy!
Bradach said:
That's the first i've heard of face tracking in sorcery, nice. If you're sitting i wonder how well it would work?

That's probably done via sphere tracking like in The Shoot. When seated, you just place the Move below knees level or something to duck.

Carl

Yes Dead Space is made for Move it cant be that difficult to implement it.

Every time they have been asked about it they dodge the question and just say "We've only announced that Dead Space Extraction will have Move" or words to that affect.

Could still happen yet

gofreak

GAF's Bob Woodward
Carl said:
Eurogamer have a nice random hands on with Sorcery. They love it

http://www.eurogamer.net/articles/2010-08-31-sorcery-hands-on?page=1

Sony should excerpt these parts of the preview for their 'buttons! lol' propaganda sites:

It's the combination of these two elements - the in-hand device and the camera tracking, of which Microsoft and Nintendo only have one each - which makes Move feel like a natural way of incorporating motion control into traditional games. More natural, in fact, than anything Kinect or Wii seem able to offer at this point.

The truth is that motion control is intuitive when you have something in your hands.
Watching the Weasley twins demonstrating Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows on Xbox 360 while their characters moved for them automatically on-screen at EA's gamescom press conference was pretty unconvincing. Unlike Kinect, PlayStation Move isn't limited by the absence of buttons and an analogue stick. The motion control augments the game rather than defining it.

Maybe their message is getting across. Perhaps because it is in fact true?

I feel a bit embarrassed for EA though. John Daly seems like it might upstage them in the golf motion control stakes, and now Sorcery looks tastier than anything they've done with Harry Potter on the same front.

So for Australians what would be the best bet, starter pack and then Sports Champions ? Don't really need a navigation controller yet... do i?!

Belfast

gofreak said:
Sony should excerpt these parts of the preview for their 'buttons! lol' propaganda sites:

Maybe their message is getting across. Perhaps because it is in fact true?

I feel a bit embarrassed for EA though. John Daly seems like it might upstage them in the golf motion control stakes, and now Sorcery looks tastier than anything they've done with Harry Potter on the same front.

Forgot to bold this one:

The motion control augments the game rather than defining it.

:)

Belfast

THE Caffeinated said:
So for Australians what would be the best bet, starter pack and then Sports Champions ? Don't really need a navigation controller yet... do i?!

No need for a nav controller yet, and you can always use a DS2 in its place.

No45

Ristlager said:
Anyone know when the demoes are up on PSN (Eurostore)?
I guess with the usual store updates, around 15:00 BST I think. Although what with today being a fairly highly anticipated updated for Move, I'm sure we can expect that to slip. :p

spats

c2f04e77-2f36-49a2-880f-bd7d6083c6df.jpg

b50114c2-14b4-40a0-8ddc-3b8b2b2d590b.jpg

The games and controllers weren't up on the shelf yet at my local retailer when I got there but I asked anyway and got a starter kit and a game from an inconspicuous cardboard box.

The controller feels fantastic. Pretty light and really sturdy. And squeezing the ball... *drool*

Massa

Gamespot RUSE review:

Using a standard Sixaxis or Dual Shock 3 controller, it's absolutely simple to scroll across the map, issue orders, and queue up additional units. R.U.S.E. also supports the PlayStation Move controller and supplementary navigation controller, which allows you to point at the screen to select units. Unfortunately, this alternate method of managing battles is far inferior to using a standard gamepad. To zoom in and out, and to rotate the camera, you hold the T button and maneuver the Move controller, which is much less precise than using an analog stick. Furthermore, the placement of the main buttons for selecting multiple units at once and bringing up the order interface make using the motion controller somewhat awkward. The requirement for you to keep pointing the controller at the screen at all times, even during cutscenes, further rubs salt in this wound; should you rest your arms during a cinematic, the game will pause the scene and tell you to move the controller back in range of the camera. For the best experience, stick to a standard controller and forget playing R.U.S.E. with motion controls.

Ouch.

Clear

CliffyB's Cock Holster
RE: Gamespot review

I strongly suspect its not about keeping the controller pointing at the screen, but rather keeping the controller within the camera's field of vision - something that could easily be achieved by moving the eye slightly...

Funny thing, I quite like Kevin VanOrd on the Hotspot podacst, but I have absolutely no time for his opinions as expressed in print.

Terrible, terrible, critic imho. He has the most annoying habit of fixating on small niggling points and inflating them to the extent that they obscure anything good about the games he reviews.

SSJ1Goku

Banned
snap0212 said:
Just saying all the stores near me don't have any left. :)

No dude that was a play on the old Wii joke, I wasn't trying to be an ass or anything.

The old Wii joke:

"You'll probably be able to walk into the store on launch day and get one"

mrklaw

MrArseFace
Carl said:
That's the blog update though. Store wont be up til 3ish i assume

presumably there is no hurry for them to update with content, if the release isn't until Friday.

Hey, can someone outline how the controllers work when you sync them with the PS3? I only have two DS3s at the moment, so not sure how they all interact with each other. Will they automatically assign themselves as the highest number controller? eg with just the PS3 on, I press the PS button on the move, it'll become controller 1, but if I turn the PS3 on with a DS3, then the move, it'll be controller 2?

Wondering what happens if you have a nav controller, and how the game knows to use that rather than a DS3 which might happen to be on (for navigating the XMB or playing a previous game). Does it look for a nav and prioritise it?

snap0212

SSJ1Goku said:
No dude that was a play on the old Wii joke, I wasn't trying to be an ass or anything.

The old Wii joke:

"You'll probably be able to walk into the store on launch day and get one"
Ah, okay. Didn't get it. My bad. :)

Anyways; I was able to buy one an hour ago. Went to the smallest store around and they had one Move controller left. Now it's time to play some Table Tennis. :]

Angst

mrklaw said:
presumably there is no hurry for them to update with content, if the release isn't until Friday.

Hey, can someone outline how the controllers work when you sync them with the PS3? I only have two DS3s at the moment, so not sure how they all interact with each other. Will they automatically assign themselves as the highest number controller? eg with just the PS3 on, I press the PS button on the move, it'll become controller 1, but if I turn the PS3 on with a DS3, then the move, it'll be controller 2?

Wondering what happens if you have a nav controller, and how the game knows to use that rather than a DS3 which might happen to be on (for navigating the XMB or playing a previous game). Does it look for a nav and prioritise it?
That's how it works with wheels, guitars etc so I presume it's the same with Move+Navi. Slightly annoying with some older games that requires the DS3 to be controller#1. New games (mostly) don't have that problem.

CoLaN

Bought 2 moves and 1 navigation controller today, togheter with Sports Champions.

Ive only tried table tennis for now, and i'm really impressed. It's...fun (addicting), i didn't notice any lag, and the 1:1 precision is quite nice.

El-Suave

Massa said:

Tried it myself just now. Not an issue for me to be honest since the ball never leaves the camera's field of vision unless I try really hard or try to hide it.

The Tumble demo is awesome. I built a tower clearly not intended to be built that way, but it worked. Very shaky but also very nice.

The controller works great with my projector setup. When the ball is going through all its colours during calibration it's quite hypnotic.

The only thing I don't like so far is the plastic on the device. I usually have no problems with sweaty controller hands, only when I'm using the Wiimote condom (which I don't use). With the Move stick my hand got a bit sweaty as well. Maybe it was the drama of Tumble? ;-)

pcostabel

Gold Member
El-Suave said:
The controller works great with my projector setup. When the ball is going through all its colours during calibration it's quite hypnotic.

Do you have a front projector? I assumed the Move would not work in a completely dark room.
Moreover, my PS3 is on the opposite side of the room, near the projector, so I'd need an extension cable to set the camera near the screen. I'm also wondering how the Move will work on a 110" screen,,,

Carl

Ahhh Play.com have finally posted my Move and Subcontroller.

And i caved and bought RE5: Gold Edition. Going to break a habit and sell my original copy of RE5 though.

El-Suave

pcostabel said:
Do you have a front projector? I assumed the Move would not work in a completely dark room.
Moreover, my PS3 is on the opposite side of the room, near the projector, so I'd need an extension cable to set the camera near the screen. I'm also wondering how the Move will work on a 110" screen,,,

No, my projector is basically above my couch a bit to the right. It's in the top right corner of the PS Eye's field of vision. The PS3 is next to my couch so I did need to use two USB extension cables to get the camera under the screen.

The move works great in a dark room. My room was almost completely dark (except for the projection of course) and it worked without any problem.

Screen size wasn't an issue either yet, but I just had time for the Tumble demo and the first mission of R.U.S.E. so far. Don't know about the other games, but it isn't an issue on the Wii ususally. I can imagine you might want a little bit of light for the augmented reality games though because the whole point is to also see yourself with a fake item.

pcostabel

Gold Member
El-Suave said:
No, my projector is basically above my couch a bit to the right. It's in the top right corner of the PS Eye's field of vision. The PS3 is next to my couch so I did need to use two USB extension cables to get the camera under the screen.

The move works great in a dark room. My room was almost completely dark (except for the projection of course) and it worked without any problem.

Screen size wasn't an issue either yet, but I just had time for the Tumble demo and the first mission of R.U.S.E. so far. Don't know about the other games, but it isn't an issue on the Wii ususally. I can imagine you might want a little bit of light for the augmented reality games though because the whole point is to also see yourself with a fake item.

Thank you. Might end up getting a move after all, if an interesting title comes out.

Not sure if it was already mentioned earlier this morning or late last night, but Amazon has the Move Start Kit back in stock for Release Date Delivery. I went in and updated my order from earlier this week.

I am disappointed to be honest, perhaps because I have not really been keeping track of Move up until today. The size of the controller is perfect, but the face buttons are just not good enough - they feel like the +/- buttons on Wii, which doesn't cut it for main buttons as far as i'm concerned. I'm also not liking the minimal tactile feedback of the T button in comparison to the Wii remote Z trigger. It needs some sort of click to it as opposed to nothing.

Calibration is also an absolute bitch in the XMB - they really need to make these things automated like on the Wii. Hell, the whole XMB interface should be re-done to accommodate a pointer rather than the scroll-and-pray mechanism they have for Move.

IonicSnake said:
Anyone know when LittleBigPlanet (the first one) will get the Move patch?

It won't. What you've seen of that is included on LBP2 in the form of 10 dedicated Move (co-op?) levels. Then LBP2 will get proper Move support (as in for create mode, direct seat and such) patched in early next year.

I NEED SCISSORS said:
I am disappointed to be honest, perhaps because I have not really been keeping track of Move up until today. The size of the controller is perfect, but the face buttons are just not good enough - they feel like the +/- buttons on Wii, which doesn't cut it for main buttons as far as i'm concerned. I'm also not liking the minimal tactile feedback of the T button in comparison to the Wii remote Z trigger. It needs some sort of click to it as opposed to nothing.

Calibration is also an absolute bitch in the XMB - they really need to make these things automated like on the Wii. Hell, the whole XMB interface should be re-done to accommodate a pointer rather than the scroll-and-pray mechanism they have for Move.

You don't need calibration in the XMB unless you have an issue. All necessary calibration that you need is in the game, and what that entails depends on the game (simple stuff is just point at the PS Eye and hold Action for a few seconds, other 1:1 games may want to know the length of your arm and such).

The T button is fully analog, and needs to be pressure sensitive in a linear fashion from start to finish, and easy to press. The same goes for the start button. It's not perfect for all games or situations, but you'll get used to it.

The face buttons are minimalist, but serviceable and not often used. I think they're ok. Give it some time, it's built for slightly different tasks so design has prioritized different functionality.

CoLaN

I'm having a blast.

I really like table tennis, but archery is just... cool. Playing with 2 move controllers makes you feel badass, having to take the arrow from the quiver, lining it up and everything :lol

The challenges are fun, and getting the max points is addicting (when targets are moving, throwing an arrow in the exact center isn't too easy).

I didn't expect to like it that much, honestly. No delay at all, and the 1:1 feels just right.

I didn't have any issues with the calibration in game, it takes about 2 seconds. The important thing when it tells to point at the tv, is to point at the right height, otherwise it can mess up your aim badly.

DryvBy

Dang. NewEgg sent my Move games. No idea when I'm getting my Move. Stupid end of the week shipment days in the ol' US of A!

Top Bottom