• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

PlayStation Network Thread l January 2017

RK128

K7AYese.png

Today marks my tenure as the person behind the monthly PSN thread! It is a huge honor and I want to thank ZeroAKA for letting me take over for 2017. Lets all have a great 2017 together!

JHNpXIO.png

Jan. 4th
  • MX vs. ATV Supercross Encore 2017 Official Track Edition (PS4 – Retail)

2465.jpg

Jan. 10th
  • Spheroids (PS4, PS Vita – PSN, cross-buy)
  • Tales of Berseria Demo (PS4 – PSN)
  • Hatsune Miku: Project Diva Future Tone (PS4 – PSN)
  • Xenoraid (PS Vita – PSN, cross-buy)

Jan. 17th
  • 2064: Read Only Memories (PS4 – PSN)
  • Siegecraft Commander (PS4 – PSN)
  • Fate/Extella: The Umbral Star (PS4, PS Vita – Retail & PSN for NA)
  • Atelier Shallie Plus: Alchemists of the Dusk Sea (PS Vita - Retail & Digital for NA)

Jan. 18th
  • Gravity Rush 2 (PS4 – Retail & PSN for EU)

Jan. 20th
  • Fate/Extella: The Umbral Star (PS4, PS Vita – Retail & PSN for EU)
  • Gravity Rush 2 (PS4 – Retail & PSN for NA)
  • Atelier Shallie Plus: Alchemists of the Dusk Sea (PS Vita Retail & Digital for EU)

Jan. 24th
  • Kingdom Hearts HD 2.8 Final Chapter Prologue (PS4 – Retail & PSN)
  • Moto Racer 4 (PS4 – PSN)
  • Resident Evil 7 biohazard (PS4 – Retail & PSN)
  • Tales of Berseria (PS4 – Retail & PSN for NA)
  • Yakuza 0 (PS4 – Retail & PSN)

Jan. 26th
  • Syndrome (PS4 – PSN)

Jan. 27th
  • Digimon World: Next Order (PS4 – Retail & PSN for EU)
  • Tales of Berseria (PS4 - Retail & PSN for EU)
  • Valhalla Hills: Definitive Edition (PS4 – Retail & PSN)

Jan. 30th
  • Double Dragon IV (PS4 – PSN)

Jan. 31st
  • Call of Duty: Infinite Warfare ‘Sabotage' DLC (PS4 – PSN)
  • Digimon World: Next Order (PS4 – Retail & PSN for NA)
  • Divide (PS4 – PSN)
  • Dynasty Warriors: Godseekers (PS4, PS Vita – PSN)
  • Hitman: The Complete First Season (PS4 – Retail)

*All Games Listed Come from the Dates Found on PlayStation Lifestyle*
*Check the PS Blog ”Store Update" posts for full details on weekly releases and sales (NA/EU).
*See a more comprehensive list of future releases at PSNStores.

qyRR4lM.png

The Games for PlayStation Plus for this month will be blow!
- This List Applies for NA and EU PSN Regions; Will Update with Asian and Japan PS+ List Soon -
  • Day of The Tentacle Remastered — PS4 (Cross Buy on PS Vita)
  • This War of Mine: The Little Ones — PS4
  • BlazeRush — PS3
  • The Swindle — PS3 (Cross Buy on PS4 and PS Vita)
  • Azkend 2 — PS Vita
  • Titan Souls — PS Vita (Cross Buy on PS4)

WQhwkXV.png

• Quote to view and add yourself to the PSNGAF friend list (hidden behind email tags).
  • PM ZeroAKA to get an invite to the VitaGAF Line group.

If you have any questions feel free to send a message here or my Twitter. I will be writing various posts in this thread.

sonic_generations__serious_face__gif_by_xbox_ds_gameboy-d4lw6re.gif

- PlayStation Drop Round-Up: I cover every game on the drop that appears on the PS Blog through a short summary on each game with further information.
- PS+ Impressions: I talk about my time with each PS+ Game. If I cannot play the game (the PS4 games), I will just write some background information on the game instead.
- Links/Coverage to Stuff I Write: I do quite a bit of writing on a few game sites, so I will give links to news that happens in the realm of PlayStation in addition to reviews I publish.
- Game of the Month: This is coming back! Past PSN threads had Game of the Month, where people send me messages about what game they enjoyed the most. I would like for that to come back and start with January! Send me a PM with a short (1-2 sentence) comment about the game of your choice. The game with the most votes.....will be game of the month!

So, lets have a great 2017 and thank you for your time! All above banner graphics belong to ZeroAKA.

Nice thread :)

Also doubt: Road Redemption was listed on Amazon. I even preordered it at some point. Then canned the preorder. It says PSN in your list. Did the retail release get canned?

RK128

Nice thread :)

Also doubt: Road Redemption was listed on Amazon. I even preordered it at some point. Then canned the preorder. It says PSN in your list. Did the retail release get canned?

Found the dates on PlayStation Lifestyle. Will remove the game for the moment though.

RK128

Hello!

I guess to kick things off for 2017, lets share games we really enjoyed in 2016.

I will list a few games, with links to stuff I wrote about them.

- Shantae: Half Genie Hero
Shantae Half Genie Hero is one of WayForward's best games, as it takes everything strong about the Shantae series and refines it to perfection. Strong level design that always offers something new, a charming story with sharp writing, tight gameplay mechanics that improve upon ideas from the first two games and a lot of content with the promise of more releasing in the future; Shantae has never been better. While some aspects make me prefer Pirates Curse, I overall find Half Genie Hero to be a great game in this strong series of action/platformers and highly recommend the game to any fan of the genre.

- VVVVVV
VVVVVV is a strong game that does a lot right. It is a challenging experience but one that is inviting to play with simple controls, strong 8-bit visuals and great level design. I highly recommend this game to any Vita owner who wants a fun challenge to overcome. It looks simple but it has a lot of hidden depth through engaging gameplay.

- Grand Kingdom
Grand Kingdom is one of the years best JRPG's thanks to its strong core mechanics, an enjoyable story, strong blend of real time combat & strategy elements and an excessive amount of replay value. You will love the game if you are a fan of JRPG's and I strongly encourage everyone to give this game a shot.

- Neptune vs. SEGA Hard Girls
Hyperdimension Neptune vs. SEGA Hard Girls is a well done spin-off that blends the series role playing roots with evolution to exploration, open-ended mission format and some refinements on combat mechanics. While the difficulty is not the most balanced and the has minor performance issues, they do not effect the game greatly. Neptune vs. SEGA Hard Girls is a rewarding role playing game that continues the series strong success on the PlayStation Vita platform.

- 10 Second Ninja X
10 Second Ninja X is a great title that offers some fun levels to run through with tight gameplay that rewards fast and successful runs through levels in addition to having a great deal of content to play through. The presentation is simple but well used and the story was enjoyable. I recommend this title if you are big fan of speedy platformers and like a fun challenge.

- SteamWorld Heist
Steamworld Heist is a very interesting title, as it blends 2D Action with a lot of elements you expect out of turn based action games. For someone who struggles with this genre of gaming, I had no issue jumping into the title. The game accomplishes being a fun and enjoyable adventure that opens the doors for people new to the Real Time Strategy genre

JPS Kai

Is Syndrome the FPS horror game? If so, that's a definite pass for me. Reviewed the PC version and didn't have much fun with it.

2064 is one that I'll have a review up in time for release and I can recommend (the PC version) if you like cyberpunk aesthetic and classic adventure games. It's very streamlined compared to the likes of Shadowgate.

Jan 27th will be a fight to the death between Yakuza 0 and Resi VII for my time. Berseria will be in the backlog until there's a slowdown of new RPG's on the market.

RK128

Is Syndrome the FPS horror game? If so, that's a definite pass for me. Reviewed the PC version and didn't have much fun with it.

2064 is one that I'll have a review up in time for release and I can recommend (the PC version) if you like cyberpunk aesthetic and classic adventure games. It's very streamlined compared to the likes of Shadowgate.

Jan 27th will be a fight to the death between Yakuza 0 and Resi VII for my time. Berseria will be in the backlog until there's a slowdown of new RPG's on the market.

Looking forward to 2064 personally and hope that many enjoy it on consoles :D!

Don't have a PS4 but I can already imagine a wallet crying at how packed this month is for JP titles :'(.

Saphirax

When someone mentions games in 2016 all my mind can think of is Stranger of Sword City and Cold Steel 2. Everything else is an insignificant blur.

RK128

When someone mentions games in 2016 all my mind can think of is Stranger of Sword City and Cold Steel 2. Everything else is an insignificant blur.

I feel bad saying I didn't play either of those games, but will keep an eye out for them in 2017. Talking with Names2Hard4You, I was sold on the Trials of Cold Steel series :).

......Though I will have to find some way to play the third game, I will enjoy the first two on my Vita this year.

Saphirax

I feel bad saying I didn't play either of those games, but will keep an eye out for them in 2017. Talking with Names2Hard4You, I was sold on the Trials of Cold Steel series :).

......Though I will have to find some way to play the third game, I will enjoy the first two on my Vita this year.

They're a hefty investment but, some tropes aside, they're totally worth it! Wish more games would be like the Trails series.

Creamium

shut uuuuuuuuuuuuuuup
Man I have a lot planned on PS4 this month. RE7 at the tail end, but before that I'm planning to play Stories and/or Color Guardians, those seem like fun games from last month's PS+ batch. But I also have to set up my VR set and try the demos. I got the basic set as a gift, but I'm probably going to buy VR Worlds to get as many different experiences as possible. I also got Battlefront ult. edition as a gift. I don't play onli multi usually, but I'm an SW nut so might give it a try anyway.

After all this time I still need to jump into Rocket League as well... Is it still easy to find matches? Still a popular online game, and easy to break into for newcomers?

RK128

Man I have a lot planned on PS4 this month. RE7 at the tail end, but before that I'm planning to play Stories and/or Color Guardians, those seem like fun games from last month's PS+ batch. But I also have to set up my VR set and try the demos. I got the basic set as a gift, but I'm probably going to buy VR Worlds to get as many different experiences as possible. I also got Battlefront ult. edition as a gift. I don't play onli multi usually, but I'm an SW nut so might give it a try anyway.

After all this time I still need to jump into Rocket League as well... Is it still easy to find matches? Still a popular online game, and easy to break into for newcomers?

Working on reviewing Color Guardians for LatestVitaGames and Axiom Verge for 3WIREL, so I will be busy myself :).

Nice get with PS VR man :D! Hope you enjoy the demos and games! Rocket League is quite popular and it shouldn't be that hard to jump into. But I never played it, so not sure honestly.

Creamium

shut uuuuuuuuuuuuuuup
Working on reviewing Color Guardians for LatestVitaGames and Axiom Verge for 3WIREL, so I will be busy myself :).

Nice get with PS VR man :D! Hope you enjoy the demos and games! Rocket League is quite popular and it shouldn't be that hard to jump into. But I never played it, so not sure honestly.

Axiom Verge is incredible, hope you enjoy it.

About the VR: my parents are insane. They said 'don't go nuts for Xmas gifts', so I got them books/series, and they come parading in with Battlefront first, then the VR set... I was stunned. "We couldn't find the NES classic" they said, lol

RK128

Axiom Verge is incredible, hope you enjoy it.

About the VR: my parents are insane. They said 'don't go nuts for Xmas gifts', so I got them books/series, and they come parading in with Battlefront first, then the VR set... I was stunned. "We couldn't find the NES classic" they said, lol

XD! So instead of getting one of those SEGA Genesis systems that are cheap, they got you the price VR set! Congrats man :). Hope you enjoy both that and Battlefront :D!

RK128

http://3wirel.com/2017/01/01/ps2-harvest-moon-games-coming-to-ps4-esrb-ratings-come-out/

If you love the Harvest Moon series and own a PS2, you might be excited to read this :). I reported on something Gematsu discovered where two PS2 Era Harvest Moon games are coming to PS4! They are rated by the ESRB for the PS4, indicating a PS2 Classics release.

The games in question are called Harvest Moon: Save the Homeland and Harvest Moon: A Wonderful Life Special Edition.

Phototropic

Neo Member

Shouldn't be a problem. The community is still very active and probably will be for years at this point.

So I decided to write a couple of articles about my top 50 Vita games as of the end of 2016. I'd been planning to do this for a while but quite honestly, I always thought Vita was going to conk it so I was waiting to see what happens with that, but assuredly it's gonna live until at least 2018 so I'm doing a list now and then another one at the end of 2017.

Here's 50-31

Here's 30-11

Got the top 10 to do when I get chance (made the list, just have to write the post. Also gonna do top 10 PSP games playable on Vita and top 10 PS1 games playable on Vita too :)

RK128

So I decided to write a couple of articles about my top 50 Vita games as of the end of 2016. I'd been planning to do this for a while but quite honestly, I always thought Vita was going to conk it so I was waiting to see what happens with that, but assuredly it's gonna live until at least 2018 so I'm doing a list now and then another one at the end of 2017.

Here's 50-31

Here's 30-11

Got the top 10 to do when I get chance (made the list, just have to write the post. Also gonna do top 10 PSP games playable on Vita and top 10 PS1 games playable on Vita too :)

While disagree with the Jak games being on your list (the entire collection is really annoying to play on Vita and I enjoyed them far more on PS3/PS2) you did a great job making your list :). Can't wait to see your top 10 :D!

Chuy

Oh hey here's the new thread. Was wondering where it was.

Happy new year guys! Here's to hoping for some more awesome vita games being released.
That said looking forward to Q1 this year. Too many games on both ps4/vita and not enough time to enjoy them.

I'm just getting into multiplayer games recently, and I really enjoyed what I played of Siege and The Division, that working as a team/communicating/etc. stuff. Are there more team tactical/MMO-ish games like that on PS4, or do I need to mainly look on PC?
If you haven't already played them I definitely recommend Overwatch/Destiny as they seem up your alley.
Star Wars Battlefront as well though not nearly as tactial/MMO as the other two but still loads of fun.

While disagree with the Jak games being on your list (the entire collection is really annoying to play on Vita and I enjoyed them far more on PS3/PS2)

To be fair, I have a fairly high tolerance for this kinda stuff. I've yet to find a Vita port "unplayable" like most people make out and that includes the Jak games & Borderlands 2.

They're incredibly ambitious open-world games and they run fine on Vita. I platinumed 1 and have made enough progress on 2 & 3 to know they're perfectly fine for me. It's a shame more people can't enjoy them the way I do.

edit: Saphirax fml

So I started playing Severed and just finished Domain of the Crows. Man, this game is really good. As expected, since it's Drinkbox.

Here's 50-31

Here's 30-11

Nice. Looking forward to the top 10.

Saphirax

To be fair, I have a fairly low tolerance for this kinda stuff. I've yet to find a Vita port "unplayable" like most people make out and that includes the Jak games & Borderlands 2.

They're incredibly ambitious open-world games and they run fine on Vita. I platinumed 1 and have made enough progress on 2 & 3 to know they're perfectly fine for me. It's a shame more people can't enjoy them the way I do.

And here I was thinking you had a high tolerance for that kind of stuff! :p

(Sorry, I had to.)

Here's 50-31

Here's 30-11

Two more articles up:

Top 10 PSP games playable on Vita

Top 10 PS1 games playable on Vita

I've really enjoyed writing all of these. Just got my top 10 Vita games to go which I've written but just need to put screenshots into.

Also, I think writing the last two articles (PSP/PS1) made me realise how how few of these I've actually played. Need to get round to doing more. MGS Peace Walker has been sitting on my memory card for ages.

RK128

Two more articles up:

Top 10 PSP games playable on Vita

Top 10 PS1 games playable on Vita

I've really enjoyed writing all of these. Just got my top 10 Vita games to go which I've written but just need to put screenshots into.

Also, I think writing the last two articles (PSP/PS1) made me realise how how few of these I've actually played. Need to get round to doing more. MGS Peace Walker has been sitting on my memory card for ages.

These are great articles man :). Really enjoyed reading them and happy to see the PS1 icons having some spotlight :D! Spyro 3 and Crash 3 & Team Racing are amazing games. Also worth noting (though you likely know this already) that you can map the camera controls to the right stick for both Daxter (L + R) and Ape Escape (D-Pad). Though the later I feel you are referencing the changed controls to work with one analog stick.

RK128

Hello everyone!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sRHUBMqj-vM

IGN released this gameplay footage covering every game via gameplay coming to PlayStation plus, so if you want to see what the games play like, consider watching the video. I will be writing a detailed post here (as well as on 3WIREL) about the six PS+ games and my thoughts on them, so that should be coming later today.

RK128

Are these live in the EU yet?

Mmm.....they are in NA, so they should be up on the EU PSN store. In many cases, EU gets the games first, then NA gets them. So, you should be able to get them on the EU PSN if you have PS+ :).

These are great articles man :). Really enjoyed reading them and happy to see the PS1 icons having some spotlight :D! Spyro 3 and Crash 3 & Team Racing are amazing games. Also worth noting (though you likely know this already) that you can map the camera controls to the right stick for both Daxter (L + R) and Ape Escape (D-Pad). Though the later I feel you are referencing the changed controls to work with one analog stick.

It's been a while since I played it but iirc you couldn't map the controls for Ape Escape well because you use x + directions for weapon moves so you're still having to press x to do anything.

Same thing with GTA, you use shoulder buttons + direction to control camera which doesn't map.

Here's 50-31

Here's 30-11

So the moment I'm sure everyone's been waiting for :)P), here's my top 10:

https://kresnik258gaming.wordpress.com/2017/01/03/top-50-vita-games-2016-top-10/

These articles were fun to write, I really enjoyed it. Here's to a 2017 full of new games for me to write about in the first week of next year!

Creamium

shut uuuuuuuuuuuuuuup
Man Stories (Path of Destinies) has a really cool concept. Kinda like Groundhog Day/Edge of Tomorrow and you can keep upgrading. Too bad that the plat apparently requires getting every ending.

Man Stories (Path of Destinies) has a really cool concept. Kinda like Groundhog Day/Edge of Tomorrow and you can keep upgrading. Too bad that the plat apparently requires getting every ending.

It does. I got like 8 of them when it first came out and got burned out.

bpfd

It's definitely a grind to get them all. It's possible to get 80% of the trophies in your first 5 or so times through too, which makes the grind even worse.

RK128

Hello guys :D!

I got a few reviews written up and I would like to share them with you all.

First up is Toy Story 2, a retro review based off the PS1 Platformer
http://3wirel.com/2017/01/03/retro-...scue-release-1999-platform-ps1-dreamcast-n64/

This is honestly much better than it has any right to be. Most platformers based on movies and cartoons suffer from poor quality and lack of care but here, Travelers Tales goes above and beyond to create a game that honors the Toy Story brand. Buzz’s adventure is filled with amazing music, fun gameplay, tight level design and a good deal of content to sink your teeth into. I highly recommend this if you love 3D platformers but keep in mind the somewhat dated graphics and camera controls.

Another review is for the PS3 game 'Prince of Persia 2008'
http://3wirel.com/2017/01/03/prince-of-perisa-2008-review-playstation-3-xbox-360-pc/

Prince of Persia 2008 is one of the Ubisoft’s strongest titles from the PS3/360/Wii Generation. Using timeless art direction to tell a strong story, having fun platforming and an enjoyable soundtrack creates one of the series best titles. While it is a bit too easy and minor issues like a heavy focus on collecting things can drag down the pace a bit, the game is still an really enjoyable experience.

Lastly, I wrote a review for the game 'Rayman 3 HD', which released on the PS3 and 360 in 2012 after Origins critical success
http://3wirel.com/2017/01/02/rayman-3-hd-review-ps3360/

Rayman 3 is a platforming experience that all fans of the franchise should consider giving a look. The game has aged well thanks to strong presentation values, fun gameplay and level design, and having a charming sense of humor. This is a 3D Platformer that you should consider giving a shot if you enjoyed past games in the Rayman series.

Hello guys :D!

I got a few reviews written up and I would like to share them with you all.

First up is Toy Story 2, a retro review based off the PS1 Platformer
http://3wirel.com/2017/01/03/retro-...scue-release-1999-platform-ps1-dreamcast-n64/

Another review is for the PS3 game 'Prince of Persia 2008'
http://3wirel.com/2017/01/03/prince-of-perisa-2008-review-playstation-3-xbox-360-pc/

Lastly, I wrote a review for the game 'Rayman 3 HD', which released on the PS3 and 360 in 2012 after Origins critical success
http://3wirel.com/2017/01/02/rayman-3-hd-review-ps3360/

3 great games, look forward to reading these on my lunch!

I'm really bummed Rayman 3 didn't come to Vita. Would've loved it. 2 through PS1 classics will have to do :p

Creamium

shut uuuuuuuuuuuuuuup
It does. I got like 8 of them when it first came out and got burned out.

It's definitely a grind to get them all. It's possible to get 80% of the trophies in your first 5 or so times through too, which makes the grind even worse.

Yeah I got everything beside those... I will always try to platinum a game I like, but that's just too much of a grind, especially because there's no fun left in the remaining runs: I have all the swords and gems. Plus,you're just playing through the same areas constantly. No can do, over to Color Guardians!

I know this isn't the right thread for it but there's not anywhere really better - I wonder why NISA never brought Mana Khemia 2 (PSP) to the west. Is it because the first got such bad reviews?

RK128

I know this isn't the right thread for it but there's not anywhere really better - I wonder why NISA never brought Mana Khemia 2 (PSP) to the west. Is it because the first got such bad reviews?

Mmm......When did Mana Khemia 1 release? If it did before the Vita's launch, then I would guess low sales of the first lead to the them not localizing it's sequel. But I'm honestly not sure.

Mmm......When did Mana Khemia 1 release? If it did before the Vita's launch, then I would guess low sales of the first lead to the them not localizing it's sequel. But I'm honestly not sure.

2009. Sequel released in Japan on PSP that same year. NISA released a PSP game in 2013 in the west, lol.

Top Bottom