• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

PlayStation Now officially coming to PC

Unknown?

Fuck. Yes.

My PS4 will now officially be useless. No need to have it set up anymore. No need to constantly switch my ethernet cable every time I switch between using the PC and playing a PS Now game. Good times coming.

The bad news is that the dream of having PS4 games come to the service at some point is an even more distant fantasy now. But oh well. That PS3 library still mighty strong and will keep growing. Hope they put PS2 and PS1 games on the service too a some point.

Joke post?? Who would get a PS4 to solely play PS3 games that are streamed? Hahaha

Jinfash

needs 2 extra inches
The PS3 library that hasn't made the jump to PS4/Steam is my least favorite. The value of this service would be much higher if it included PS1, PS2 and PS4... Which it doesn't, right?

Nozomi

Banned
Cool, Atelier finally coming to PC!

not-like-this.gif

Walpurgis

Banned
This is an excellent chance for PC only gamers to try exclusives like God of War and The Last of Us. It's also good for console exclusives like Red Dead. Hopefully some changes are made to the pricing though.

I used to be a huge supporter of cloud gaming back in the day. However, I started getting back into PC and console gaming and haven't looked back since OnLive went under and Sony bought Gaikai (and bought OnLive assets).

I did try PS Now for a month but barely played it. The latency really depends on your connection and the distance from the server farm. These games are being streamed from custom PS3 servers made for cloud gaming.

EDIT: http://www.eurogamer.net/articles/digitalfoundry-2015-hands-on-with-playstation-now

Here is an early DF tech hands on of the service from last year.

FN-2187

Awesome news!

As someone who does not currently own a PS3 or PS4, I'll definitely try this for a month or two to play some of the Sony exclusives I have missed over the last ~10 years.

I could also never stand any variation of the Dual Shock prior to 4, so it will be great to play these with a 360 controller (assuming that is possible).

nullref

Well that's pretty cool, but... kind of defeats the purpose of consoles now if all their exclusives end up being available on PC.

The real "purpose" of consoles – as in, the actual market demand they fulfill – is for a relatively cheap and easy way to play games. That doesn't go away if they have no exclusives. Exclusives are about gaining competitive advantage against other consoles, and only one of many possible such advantages.

Rizific

So this is to stream ps3 games to my pc? Would it take advantage of my hardware or will it retain the same graphics and performance of the original? If it's the latter, then that's absolutely useless. Performance on last gen consoles was disgusting. Built a PC halfway through the gen and never looked back.

So this is to stream ps3 games to my pc? Would it take advantage of my hardware or will it retain the same graphics and performance of the original? If it's the latter, then that's absolutely useless. Performance on last gen consoles was disgusting. Built a PC halfway through the gen and never looked back.

Same performance as original.

Your PC isn't actually playing the game. A PS3 (or multiple) somewhere else is. The video/audio is just being streamed to you, and your input to them.

ekim

So this is only compatible with a DS4 I guess? Do I need a PS Plus subscription or "just" the Now sub? Can I "buy" single games without to subscribe?

ActWan

Actually it is a megaton! That's really big, I know ALOT of people dying to play some PS3 exclusives but don't own one.

So this is only compatible with a DS4 I guess? Do I need a PS Plus subscription or "just" the Now sub? Can I "buy" single games without to subscribe?

Just the PS Now sub. Separate service from PS+. You can rent single games without subscribing, but as far as I know you can't buy them. Much like you can't buy single movies on Netflix.

PS Now on televisions is compatible with DS3, not just DS4 - so it may be the same on PC.

krang

Just the PS Now sub. Separate service from PS+. You can rent single games without subscribing, but as far as I know you can't buy them. Much like you can't buy single movies on Netflix.

PS Now on televisions is compatible with DS3, not just DS4 - so it may be the same on PC.

Would be better if it supported non-PS controllers. Although mapping would be an issue.

I'm sure there'll be hacks in due course.

Should be clarified that is is cloud gaming. You're not actually running the game on your PC, it's being run on a PS3 and then streamed to your PC.

So yeah, I would rather just buy a PS3 than deal with the latency...

Fuck. Yes.

My PS4 will now officially be useless. No need to have it set up anymore. No need to constantly switch my ethernet cable every time I switch between using the PC and playing a PS Now game. Good times coming.

The bad news is that the dream of having PS4 games come to the service at some point is an even more distant fantasy now. But oh well. That PS3 library still mighty strong and will keep growing. Hope they put PS2 and PS1 games on the service too a some point.

Fuck Yes.

My Wii U became officialy uselles the Moment the Wii Emulator was announced for PC.

I Wanna Be The Guy

U-S-A! U-S-A! U-S-A!
Fuck Yes.

My Wii U became officialy uselles the Moment the Wii Emulator was announced for PC.
If that's all you use the Wii U for, perhaps it is. I literally only use my PS4 for PS Now. I buy all my games on PC now. Cheaper and better. My PS4 is my PS Now subscription box. Now I can just let my PC be that.

NoWayOut

Bloodborne in 4k@120fps here I come! #artthoudone #letstrengthbegranted #sotheworldmightbemended

You do realize that #1 PS Now has only PS3 games and #2 PS Now is a game streaming service so no matter what's your PC hardware the games will run at the same resolution and frame rate of the originals (at best)?

CSX

Do they put newish PS3 games to it often? I have a Vita but honestly I feel like I might get more out of Cold Steel 2 on Now if it's available relatively soon.

dont know how often they add new games but they added Cold Steel 1 and other rpgs in the beginning of this month.

HawaiianDreads

Neo Member
You do realize that #1 PS Now has only PS3 games and #2 PS Now is a game streaming service so no matter what's your PC hardware the games will run at the same resolution and frame rate of the originals (at best)?

Shhhh Shhhhh, don't ruin their dream...let them dream big.

Top Bottom