• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

PlayStation Plus Game of the Year 2014

Drac84

Man there were lots of great free games this year, but I have to go with Brothers: a Tale of Two Sons.

Damn you Spider Girl :(

There are some in that list that I bought day one and loved, like DmC, Puppeteer and Stick it to the Man!, so I can't choose any of those.

I guess Joe Danger on the Vita is my top candidate. That was so good that I ended up getting all the stars and 100% for the trophies, not because I forced myself to but because I genuinely enjoyed mastering all the levels and accomplishing all there was to accomplish. Taking a dump just hasn't been the same ever since I exhausted everything there was to do in that game.

Sora_N

I owned Dragons Crown and Muramasa already but didn't finish them.

Anyways I probably enjoyed Thomas was alone and Brothers the most from this year's freebies. Didn't finish anything else. I'm also enjoying Dust.

I Wanna Be The Guy

U-S-A! U-S-A! U-S-A!
There are some in that list that I bought day one and loved, like DmC, Puppeteer and Stick it to the Man!, so I can't choose any of those.

I guess Joe Danger on the Vita is my top candidate. That was so good that I ended up getting all the stars and 100% for the trophies, not because I forced myself to but because I genuinely enjoyed mastering all the levels and accomplishing all there was to accomplish. Taking a dump just hasn't been the same ever since I exhausted everything was to do in that game.
Joe Danger was so good and the perfect portable game.

Usobuko

Banned
List looks pretty good, at least better than Asia PS+ but then again that was 30% cheaper. Anyway, I'll pick Soul Sacrifice.

Binding of Isaac for sure. It's probably my regular GOTY given how underwhelming releases have been this year. Gets a ton of play time on both my PS4 and Vita (thank you cross-save).

This thread made me realize I actually forgot to "buy" Binding of Isaac
chansub-global-emoticon-f6c13c7fc0a5c93d-36x30.png

I Wanna Be The Guy

U-S-A! U-S-A! U-S-A!
I'm gonna go with borderlands 2. I'm not a huge indie fan I like a few but not the OD we got this year.
Not a huge indie fan, eh? I have no idea what this means. Be more specific. What, you don't like puzzle platformers? You don't like first person horror games? You don't like twin stick shooters? You don't like tower defense games? Indie is not a genre.

Duster

I actually think Sony's policy of releasing some indie games day 1 as PS+ titles is awesome.

Yep that's been a great evolution of the service.
Much better than the indy games I've bought near launch this year that ended up on PS+ within a few months, maybe I'm misremembering but I don't think that happened very often last year (maybe Thomas Was Alone and Stealth Inc?) so I wasn't happy with that trend.
Not counting those or something older like Spelunky that I already owned (which is what I expect to go on PS+) I'd say:

Pix The Cat - I became unhealthily obsessed with chasing high-scores and was in the global top 10 for a while. I had to take a break from that and thankfully the game provided the brilliant Nostalgia mode to bring me back to my senses, I think ended up preferring that part of the game in the end.

If I got TxK through PS+ I think that would have took top spot, it seems trippy colours on the Vita's OLED, great soundtracks and simple but perfectly pitched game-play are what I need to get me in that flow state.

I assume Dragon's Dogma was last year but I've loved playing that too, the combat is fantastic.

I don't understand ths BoI:R hype though.

Neither do I. I thought the game looked like ass before I downloaded it, but like everything on plus I gave it a try.

Its a slow 2d shooter that wont allow you to shoot diagonally. the fuck? Easily the most overhyped PS+ release this year. Would a prefered a PS1 classic over it.

D_Generate87

Neo Member
Binding of Isaac: Rebirth for sure.

Not only best playstation plus game, but one of the best games in general to come out this year. Not sure why it wasn't nominated for any of those Geoff awards, but it looks like it's going to win in this thread at least!

Antinash

Stick it to the Man (PS4)

One of the first time in ages that I had a smile on my face while playing a game. Really reminded me why I loved videogames in the first place. I guess I had been playing too many grim games, when I actually used to play a lot of happy games. This can be reflected in the game industry as well. Naughty Dog used to make colorful happy games, now they just make third person shooters where you kill people. A lot of devs are just going forward with making games where you shoot people to death as the point of the game, I can't take it anymore.

Sometimes you don't realize what you are truly missing. For me it was happiness while playing a game. I've been playing too many games where I have to kill people in cold blood.

This game really cheered me up in a time of need, I recommend it to anyone.

This post really sums up what I liked about Stick it to the Man. It was just a....happy game. Colourful, humorous, and it had an awesome theme at the start (Kenny Rogers track I think?) that really nailed the absurd feel of the game. The puzzles were just in the right sweet spot of difficulty I thought. Just a fun chilled out game, that really felt fresh after I had pretty much just spent the year shooting shit in games. I recommend it highly.

Neither do I. I thought the game looked like ass before I downloaded it, but like everything on plus I gave it a try.

Its a 2d shooter that wont allow you to shoot diagonally. the fuck? Easily the most overhyped PS+ release this year. Would a prefered a PS1 classic over it.

You can shoot diagonally. Your momentum can angle shots. Not that it makes a difference in your opinion of the game it seems.

I Wanna Be The Guy

U-S-A! U-S-A! U-S-A!

Its a 2d shooter that wont allow you to shoot diagonally. the fuck? Easily the most overhyped PS+ release this year. Would a prefered a PS1 classic over it.
Resogun is a 2d shooter that wont let you shoot diagonally. Is that shit too? Hell you cant even shoot up and down. Worst game ever, right?

I Wanna Be The Guy

U-S-A! U-S-A! U-S-A!
Resogun has far better level design and movement options. *shrugs* Unlike BOI, Ive never felt like im fighting with that game to do what I want to do.
The controls in BOI are fine. If you're not doing what you want to do then you're doing something wrong. Try shooting with the face buttons instead of the right stick.

truth411

Puppeteer!!!! Seriously that game should have been a PS4 launch title, it would have been far better received than Knack. It's a great game.

The controls in BOI are fine. If you're not doing what you want to do then you're doing something wrong. Try shooting with the face buttons instead of the right stick.

hmm. Maybe. But honestly, Ive already deleted it and i have no desire to try it again. Still its there , im sure one day in a dry enough spell, ill give it another go.

Riposte

DmC is better than what a lot of guys are suggesting in this thread.

I thought they gave out Metal Gear Rising, but maybe that was last year? Most of that list doesn't appeal to me. Even stuff like Dead Space 3, Dragon's Crown, and BioShock Infinite are just alright. I need to play the new Frozen Synapse though. Got that downloaded and ready to go once school is through.

EDIT: Doki Doki Universe is probably the worse game I played (for about 20 minutes) this year. I felt bad about downloading it for free.

I'm surprised more people haven't said Bioshock Infinite. I really enjoyed the art style and setting. Never would have played it if I didn't get it free thanks to PS+

MrBenchmark

Not a huge indie fan, eh? I have no idea what this means. Be more specific. What, you don't like puzzle platformers? You don't like first person horror games? You don't like twin stick shooters? You don't like tower defense games? Indie is not a genre.

Well I liked stick it to the man and max and the curse of the brotherhood, shovelknight but that's about it. I'm a 80s kid and still own and play many older games that many titles "try" to imitate.

I love the idea of horror games but just don't get into many

Most of the time my needs are simple shooters and racers, I don't like competitive multiplayer too much strokes took away a bit of my twitch speed. And when I need that old school fix many "Indies" go for I would just rather fire up some old games.

boingball

Velocity 2x followed by Luftrausers

If I also consider games which I already owned by the time they became PS+ games it would be Sly Cooper Thieves in Time.

Top Bottom