• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Playstation Plus Thread 2: How do I hold all these games?

oti

Banned
After subscribing for two years in advance (cheap AmazonDE deal) and building a gaming PC a few months ago I honestly don't really care that much about every single game being offered anymore. I'm waiting for my wish list to appear on there, until then I can wait. My wish list:

- Beyond
- Ni no Kuni
- Danganronpa
- KH 1.5 HD (someone pointed out this is plain impossible, since it isn't on PSN)
- MGS Ground Zeroes
- ... just console exclusive stuff in general

Oh that's amazing that you know the minds of all the people who didn't buy it. How lovely you know their reasons for not purchasing it.

I mean, surely there's not about five trillion other possibilities for why they never got it; surely they just have no remote interest in every touching it. Every game that has ever sold and is old has sold to exactly the amount of people who ever had interest in it!

Also, I didn't know PS+ purpose was either a.) to only share 'rare print classics' or b.) 'missed gems'

You guys are hilarious.

You're assuming lots of things. What he meant with "rare print classics" or "missed gems" is that AA is an easy to get title, cheap, used or new. That makes that, if a player hasn't played it is because they don't have interest on it, since is so, sooo easy to get it. Of course, there will be the people who cannot afford it, or, I don't know, have other prioritys. Is hard to know of course the real reason, but it's most likely that a lot of those who haven't played it is because they don't care for it. It happens a lot in this industry that one don't care for a game, you know.

Arkham Asylum sold six million copies across all platforms, in a world where there are over a hundred million gamers. Again, you guys are not the only people who exist.

There is no problem sharing your view that this month is not for you. That's cool. This month may have games you've already played. But to try to extrapolate that nonsense for everyone is bullshit. Arkham Asylum is a great game which most gamers have not played, by actual definition. There is no limit on how long ago a game came out that should be acceptable. There should be no limit on Sony to choose games that can maximize its impact for all gamers, period, no matter how experienced they are or not.

Funny that you're forgeting used copies. After 5 years, we can mostly be sure that a whole lot more that 6 million across all platforms have already played it.

B-b-b-but their old games! And ive already played the sequel!

At least they were lots of them. The Simpsons Arcade was on its own a good deal, since it wasn't on any home console before this generation, and it was a cult classic.

flyover

But to try to extrapolate that nonsense for everyone is bullshit. Arkham Asylum is a great game which most gamers have not played, by actual definition.

Yeah, I've never gotten around to it, but I'd love to give it a try.

It's always fun to see what comes out on PS+. For whatever reason, I often feel compelled to play (or at least try) those games over anything in my backlog. It's kind of like radio. You find new things by having someone else serve them up to you. Maybe you'll like them; maybe not. But it keeps me from sticking narrowly to the series/genres I like best.

I Wanna Be The Guy

U-S-A! U-S-A! U-S-A!
It was always voing to be a tough ask to top September. I feel like it's a pretty good lineup but I already own the two best ones, which are Spelunky and Arkham Asylum. If you haven't played those games before you're in for a treat. But Pix the Cat looks great and Dust might be good. Plus there's the Driveclub demo.

BibiMaghoo

I have neither game on PS4, but have had spelunky on PC for ages and not even played it. I guess I should correct that. I hear Dust is good, so I'll try it. Not an amazing month, but more than good enough.

Amir0x

Banned
You're assuming lots of things. What he meant with "rare print classics" or "missed gems" is that AA is an easy to get title, cheap, used or new. That makes that, if a player hasn't played it is because they don't have interest on it, since is so, sooo easy to get it. Of course, there will be the people who cannot afford it, or, I don't know, have other prioritys. Is hard to know of course the real reason, but it's most likely that a lot of those who haven't played it is because they don't care for it. It happens a lot in this industry that one don't care for a game, you know.

I'm not assuming anything. It's simple human nature. There are a bazillion reasons why someone might choose not to buy a game, even if it's $4.99 on sale somewhere. And then when it's free, they try it and may find they like it. Maybe they thought they wouldn't, and then it's free and they love it. Maybe they were interested but got distracted by other games. Maybe they were interested but had their game stolen before they could get very far. Who the heck knows, the reasons are endless

Funny that you're forgeting used copies. After 5 years, we can mostly be sure that a whole lot more that 6 million across all platforms have already played it.

I can assure you that for every game ever to come out, even when factoring in used sales, the vast majority of gamers have not played the title. That's just the reality. Almost no game ever has been played by "most" gamers, just a fractional percentage. PS+ games are a great opportunity to try games you might have had some slight interest in, or games you might have not been interested in at all but now that it's free it's worth a shot.

Stop trying to place nonsense arbitrary restrictions on what should be released for the platform. It's fucking ridiculous, just another attempt to marginalize certain groups, developers or titles.

CASE IN POINT

flyover said:
Yeah, I've never gotten around to it, but I'd love to give it a try.

Wow! You apparently don't exist and your wants and desires for games should never be met!

carlos

Im still waiting on MGS HD, Lumines, little kings story to hit the USA Vita...friggin SCEA. I would take any of those over this months offerings, easily.

SerTapTap

Oh we get Pix on PS4 too, I'll try that. I'll download Dust for shits and giggles but I already have it on PC. Hey does the PC version have PS button prompts yet? I guess I barely got into it yet, wouldn't be so bad on PS4 if I get proper prompts, does it do anything else like use the DS4 speaker?

Oh God please be the same for NA, please be the same for NA... I just learned I want Pix the Cat in my life, and portable Spelunky too.

it is http://blog.us.playstation.com/2014/10/01/preview-octobers-free-game-lineup/#sf4923829

Fireblend

Banned
Oh we get Pix on PS4 too, I'll try that. I'll download Dust for shits and giggles but I already have it on PC. Hey does the PC version have PS button prompts yet? I guess I barely got into it yet, wouldn't be so bad on PS4 if I get proper prompts, does it do anything else like use the DS4 speaker?

it is http://blog.us.playstation.com/2014/10/01/preview-octobers-free-game-lineup/#sf4923829

tumblr_inline_ncpzlxKfsA1qljrg5.gif

Amir0x

Banned
FUCK YES IT'S THE SAME

Dungeons and Dragons AND Pix the Cat and Rainbow Moon for me. I'm buying DriveClub so don't need the PS+ edition, but raad

Toki767

It definitely seems like NA and EU will get the same games going forward, so I guess we can probably cancel out games that have come to one region already for future guesses.

kinoki

Illness is the doctor to whom we pay most heed; to kindness, to knowledge, we make promise only; pain we obey.
I haven't played Spelunky or Dust. Would love to try Pix. Everything else is just an added bonus. This is another good month in a series of good months.

Hexa

Rainbow Moon (PS3/PS Vita)
WOOOOOOOT!!! HELL YEEEEEEAAAAAAAAAAAHHHHHHH!!!

It definitely seems like NA and EU will get the same games going forward, so I guess we can probably cancel out games that have come to one region already for future guesses.

Fuck. I wanted MGSR.

flyover

I'm not assuming anything. It's simple human nature. There are a bazillion reasons why someone might choose not to buy a game, even if it's $4.99 on sale somewhere. And then when it's free, they try it and may find they like it.

There was a bit about this in Dan Ariely's Predictably Irrational. If I remember correctly, he ran an experiment on a college campus where he was selling chocolates for some ridiculously low price (one cent, I think). Not many people bought them. Then, he changed the price from one cent to free, and everybody who passed by grabbed one.

Part of it is that we don't want to regret wasting money on something we're not sure we'll use or like -- even if it's just a penny. The cost of anticipated regret is that high. But if it's free, sure!

Oh well... I hope Pix the Cat is as good as it looks.

EDIT: There is a poll for PS Plus games quality. Don't know if there has been some before, but this is something good for us dissaponted people.

Amir0x

Banned
There was a bit about this in Dan Ariely's Predictably Irrational. If I remember correctly, he ran an experiment on a college campus where he was selling chocolates for some ridiculously low price (one cent, I think). Not many people bought them. Then, he changed the price from one cent to free, and everybody who passed by grabbed one.

Part of it is that we don't want to regret wasting money on something we're not sure we'll use or like -- even if it's just a penny. The cost of anticipated regret is that high. But if it's free, sure!

Excellent post. Thanks for the link too :)

On Demand

Banned

This must explain the Destiny hate all of a sudden.

nero2082

I actually like this month's PS4 selection, good thing I don't care about PS3 stuff because Arkham Asylum is like a spit in the face, EU had Arkham City two years ago.

Well that is true. Maybe with this we'll have more people on the Arkham fanbase wagon.

But now there is no way I'm going to buy Arkham Origins Blackgate lol Will wait for the inevitable PS+ offering.

BadHand

PS4 titles usually match between NA and EU. Yay, Spelunky and Dust.

PS3/Vita titles don't usually match. Pix the Cat is billed as a Vita entry in the blog.

EDIT: Cool, it is the same

Griss

Oh, get off of it.

If you are free to post any opinion, I'm free to disagree with it as well since it's an opinion of my own. Turtles all the way down.

It's the point of having an actual message board instead of a series of blog posts. Discussion highlights and differentiates the reasoning behind thoughtful opinions and unsubstantiated ones. Don't take my posts as complaining that people are complaining about PS+ -- as Amir0x pointed out, people are free to like what they like: But that doesn't mean that all opinions come from equally strong footing.

There's always a significant amount of posts in these threads that takes any criticism of the PS+ offering as nothing more than ignorant bashing of indie games as inferior to 'real' games. Despite many people offering sound arguments based on monetary value, perceived quality (either personally or through Metacritic/reviews), comparison to past months on PS+ etc. My arguments relating to the broader appeal of AAA games are sound (though not infallible), as is shown by the unit sales and general popularity of most AAA games versus most indies, while many others' arguments boil down to nothing more than a pithy 'Indies are games too, morons' put down.

Let the infuriating monthly PS+ posts begin.

I refuse to engage this time after last month's pathetic reaction by a surprisingly large part of the community.

The worst thing is that people with awful taste will start dictating what comes to Ps+ if this keeps happening.

Disheartening situation all around.

So posts critical of the selection are 'pathetic' reactions, people who don't like what you don't like have 'awful taste'. That's your contribution so far. Sure are enlightening, grounded opinions, bro.

kevin1025

Banned
Oh man, Spelunky PS4... So much for completing all of the great October games coming. That's a mighty fine list, I'm interested in all of the games (though I've beaten Arkham Asylum thrice now).

oti

Banned
I want to replay Batman but will do so on PC.
Played two hours of Dust, won't play any more of that.
Bought Spelunky during a sale, I don't regret it.
Don't know what that D&D game is.
Cat game looks fun.
Rainbow Moon is my highlight of this month.

The only one of those games I have any interest in/don't own is Dungeons and Dragons. I guess I'll also get Dust for when I eventually get a PS4. Otherwise a meh month. I'm regretting my purchase of Rainbow Moon last month twice over now. It's not a great game.

On Demand

Banned
It's actually sort of the opposite; due to the Sunk Cost fallacy people will often complete things they have paid but are more likely to bail on the same thing if it were free.

I was more comparing it the beta. It had so much love from everyone. Then when the game released it got so much negativity. I guess when you have to pay for something you expect more.

Top Bottom