• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Playstation Plus Thread 2: How do I hold all these games?

I've wanted Spelunky on PS4 really badly, and would love to not have to buy it again. I already own it on 360 and again on Steam from a sale.

Amir0x

Banned
There was like, one dude that was kinda ok with Arkham Asylum being a freebie. Anyone who loves playing games has played it already, or they played its sequel as it went free in april.

Arkham Asylum sold six million copies across all platforms, in a world where there are over a hundred million gamers. Again, you guys are not the only people who exist.

There is no problem sharing your view that this month is not for you. That's cool. This month may have games you've already played. But to try to extrapolate that nonsense for everyone is bullshit. Arkham Asylum is a great game which most gamers have not played, by actual definition. There is no limit on how long ago a game came out that should be acceptable. There should be no limit on Sony to choose games that can maximize its impact for all gamers, period, no matter how experienced they are or not.

Quantify it. Some people don't like it, some people do. The quality of the complaints are what matters. Complaining because they are indie just makes the individual saying it look silly.

Well, of course there are people complaining because of that, but you are quoting me. And my complain, as well as the complaint of others, is about the quality of PS3 titles this past months.

Indies for PS4 is understandable, most of them are good. For Vita they are welcomed, they play so much better there. PS3 is where we need a mix, but a quality mix, and there, my friend, is where a lot of people think that there is a problem.

Hoo-doo

Banned
Sure, I get why people are sad when they have played the games already, but Spelunky and Dust are legitimately great games if critical reception (metacritic) is any indication.

Coupled with the PS+ version of Driveclub and this might be my favorite month for PS4 so far. Haven't played either of the above games yet.

Assuming the rumored list is true...

--PS4--
Dust: An Elysian Tail (New port, 83-85 Metacritic based on platform)
Spelunky (New port, 83-90 Metacritic based on platform)

--PS3--
Arkham Asylum (91 Metacritic, 2009 game)
D&D: Chronicles of Mystara (83 Metacritic, 2013 game)

--Vita--
Rainbow Moon (70 Metacritic, 2012-2013 game)
Pix the Cat (New Game)

So you get 1 new game, 2 new ports (both for critically acclaimed games), 2 games that are about a year or two old (with decent reviews), and an old blockbuster. If Arkham Asylum was replaced with another quality blockbuster game that was more recent, I'd say this was an excellent month, but even as it is, it's pretty good.

There was like, one dude that was kinda ok with Arkham Asylum being a freebie. Anyone who loves playing games has played it already, or they played its sequel as it went free in april.

It's a bad choice for this. No one is complaining about Dungeons & Dragons and there are some saying that they already have Dust and Spelunky from previous deals or humble bundles, sure, but AA - while being a great game - is bottom of the barrel stuff, man. I'd honestly rather have another quality indie release than that, and it almost feels like it's there because they didn't want people to bitch about there being no retail releases in Oct.

Of course, it could still be that that image isn't legit. I guess we'll find out soon enough.

Plus is never going to be a bastion for New AAA games

Its mostly a great back catalog motivator to catch people that might have skipped some games.

I know Indie games are proving to be an exception here and for good reason. Its great exposure to up and coming studios

That said PS+ is still an excellent value even when the list isn't always appealing to everyone. At least I am not seeing shovelware on the list.

The reaction to PS+ these days is so different to what it was even just a year ago. Then it was all 'Thank you based Sony! I can't believe I'm getting all these games for free! Is this for real?' etc. Now it's very, very mixed, with many people feeling like they're not getting value. PS+ is one of the things that really built up goodwill for Sony before the launch of the PS4. I wonder if Sony is aware of the change in perception. I wonder if, at this stage, they care.

Kind of pisses me off seeing all the indie crusaders in here upset that people don't like the games they like. If someone doesn't like the games on offer, or thinks that they are poor value compared to what PS+ offered in the past, they are entitled to that opinion.

Remember, indies tend to be niche games in niche genres - that's what's great about them, without them these genres would die. But that means that by definition they will appeal to far less people. Your big budget AAA games can be bland as fuck, but it's by design - they must appeal to tons of people, and they tend to. So it's not surprising that more people will be happy with the non-niche games than the niche ones. For example: We got Velocity last month and Spelunky this month. Both are pretty niche and I strongly dislike both, from a couple of hours with them. I'd take almost any AAA title over either because I'd probably get at least some enjoyment out of it. But people who like those two games love them to pieces because they're right down their alley. That's great. But PS+ used to have a broader appeal.

Then there's the monetary argument. I originally signed up for PS+ because I felt guaranteed of getting 1-3 blockbuster games from 1 or 2 years ago for so little money. I was getting so many games that I had wanted to buy (but couldn't afford) that I actually stopped buying games. Many others did the same. It has been a long time since I saw a game like that on the service, really. A long time since I thought 'WOW! This is saving me so much money on games I'd otherwise have bought!'

People aren't comparing PS+ to how far their money would go in a normal shop, they're comparing it
a) To what PS+ was a year ago, and how much more monetary value those games had when they were put on the service
b) To steam, on which most of these indie games are dirt cheap.

It's still great value, but it was utterly ridiculous value before and it's hard not to be a little disappointed that those days appear to be over for the moment.

The fact is, PS+ started as a service serving one device :- The PS3. Its "golden years" was really only 2012 and a chunk of 2013, when the PS4 didn't exist and the Vita wasnt getting all that much either.

Once Sony started to serve 3 devices evenly across the board, there was always going to be a dip for one platform. I dont understand how people cannot see this. 6 games is a better deal than 2.

Because you personally couldnt afford the games you were getting is neither here or there. The service was never meant to subsidise peoples gaming habits, its supposed to complement them.

The future if Plus is indies, niche games and the odd AAA title here and there. Its not going to significantly improve and people just have to accept it.

thelatestmodel

Junior, please.
Spelunky is one of the best games ever made, nice to have a new version for free.

I could not get past the character art of Dust, it creeps me out. Reminds me of Sonic the Hedgehog DeviantArt.

PS3 selection is really solid.

StuBurns

Banned
Arkham Asylum sold six million copies across all platforms, in a world where there are over a hundred million gamers. Again, you guys are not the only people who exist.

There is no problem sharing your view that this month is not for you. That's cool. This month may have games you've already played. But to try to extrapolate that nonsense for everyone is bullshit. Arkham Asylum is a great game which most gamers have not played, by actual definition. There is no limit on how long ago a game came out that should be acceptable. There should be no limit on Sony to choose games that can maximize its impact for all gamers, period, no matter how experienced they are or not.
Sony can include what they want, that's fine, and people can be vocal about their dissatisfaction as much as they like.

I think Sony have done an embarrassing job of PS+ since PS4 launched. Initially there were debates and the frequent response was 'it's too early in the system's life', which I never really agreed with, but it was a reasonable point. Maybe the retail games were just around the corner, but they weren't, they're not, and there's no sign they will be. Vita's + was incredible from the first month, because the Vita is a bomb, PS4's a huge hit, you need + to play online, so Sony have absolutely no incentive to improve the offerings, in fact, as their dominance grows, they have good reason to make it even worse.

Yes, there are billions of people who haven't played Batman, there are a good seventy five million PS3 owners that haven't. Those people have chosen not to buy it though. It's not an missed gem, it's not a rare print classic that's expensive.

It's a bad choice for this. No one is complaining about Dungeons & Dragons and there are some saying that they already have Dust and Spelunky from previous deals or humble bundles, sure, but AA - while being a great game - is bottom of the barrel stuff, man. I'd honestly rather have another quality indie release than that, and it almost feels like it's there because they didn't want people to bitch about there being no retail releases in Oct.

Of course, it could still be that that image isn't legit. I guess we'll find out soon enough.
Just to be clear, I own arkham asylum. The fact is, its a digital copy which to me has value in itself.

Seraphis Cain

bad gameplay lol
And if we're talking about the "golden period" of PS+, allow me to point out February 2012:

The Simpsons Arcade Game – 2/7
Final Fantasy V (PSOne Classic) – 2/7
Hungry Giraffe (minis) – 2/7
Gold Medalist (minis) – 2/7
Sega Genesis Bundle – 2/21
Altered Beast – 2/21
Comix Zone – 2/21
Golden Axe – 2/21
Sonic 1 – 2/21
Sonic 2 – 2/21
Streets of Rage 2 – 2/21
Battle Fantasia – 2/14
Fatal Inertia – 2/14
Hamsterball – 2/14
Inferno Pool – 2/7
Mahjong Tales: Ancient Wisdom – 2/14
Supersonic Acrobatic Rocket Powered Battle Cars – 2/14

I mean, holy shit, what a fucking month.

Toki767

The fact is, PS+ started as a service serving one device :- The PS3. Its "golden years" was really only 2012 and a chunk of 2013, when the PS4 didn't exist and the Vita wasnt getting all that much either.

Once Sony started to serve 3 devices evenly across the board, there was always going to be a dip for one platform. I dont understand how people cannot see this. 6 games is a better deal than 2.

Because you personally couldnt afford the games you were getting is neither here or there. The service was never meant to subsidise peoples gaming habits, its supposed to complement them.

The future if Plus is indies, niche games and the odd AAA title here and there. Its not going to significantly improve and people just have to accept it.
Ever since the introduction of the Vita to PS+, it's always been 6 games a month. It just used to be 4 PS3 games and 2 Vita games. Now it's 2 PS4, 2 PS3, and 2 Vita games. The amount of games you get didn't really go up, but they do have to support one more platform so it's understandable that they take games away from somewhere else.

Yes, there are billions of people who haven't played Batman, there are a good seventy five million PS3 owners that haven't. Those people have chosen not to buy it though. It's not an missed gem, it's not a rare print classic that's expensive.

This line of reasoning can be used for every game in existence.

Amir0x

Banned

Oh that's amazing that you know the minds of all the people who didn't buy it. How lovely you know their reasons for not purchasing it.

I mean, surely there's not about five trillion other possibilities for why they never got it; surely they just have no remote interest in every touching it. Every game that has ever sold and is old has sold to exactly the amount of people who ever had interest in it!

Also, I didn't know PS+ purpose was either a.) to only share 'rare print classics' or b.) 'missed gems'

You guys are hilarious.

StuBurns

Banned
Oh that's amazing that you know the minds of all the people who didn't buy it. How lovely you know their reasons for not purchasing it.

I mean, surely there's not about five trillion other possibilities for why they never got it; surely they just have no remote interest in every touching it. Every game that has ever sold and is old has sold to exactly the amount of people who ever had interest in it!

Also, I didn't know PS+ purpose was either a.) to only share 'rare print classics' or b.) 'missed gems'

You guys are hilarious.
Did I say they have no interest? No, I said they've chosen not to buy it. Did I give a reason why they didn't? No.

Amir0x

Banned
Did I say they have no interest? No, I said they've chosen not to buy it. Did I give a reason why they didn't? No.

Good, then you agree. Arkham Asylum being on the service gives many many many people the new opportunity to play it when they haven't before.

Tucah

you speak so well
I own Spelunky on PC but I've always meant to pick up a console version. I'm okay with this month's Plus, assuming the US gets the same games.

dcelw540

Sony can include what they want, that's fine, and people can be vocal about their dissatisfaction as much as they like.

I think Sony have done an embarrassing job of PS+ since PS4 launched. Initially there were debates and the frequent response was 'it's too early in the system's life', which I never really agreed with, but it was a reasonable point. Maybe the retail games were just around the corner, but they weren't, they're not, and there's no sign they will be. Vita's + was incredible from the first month, because the Vita is a bomb, PS4's a huge hit, you need + to play online, so Sony have absolutely no incentive to improve the offerings, in fact, as their dominance grows, they have good reason to make it even worse.

im sorry but you have too high of expectations. The fact that the console has come out in less then a year still, of course it won't give away triple AAA games but saying there are no triple AAA games coming out for plus ever is saddening.

I have most of those announced games, thankfully NA is going to be different. I do think the games on + have declined in quality somewhat lately. The last 3 months as a PS3 owner have not been very impressive. Hoard and Sportsfriends made for a nothing month.

That said, I paid like $30 for a year of PS+ last Black Friday. I'm still definitely re-upping if I get a deal for like $40, it's worth it just for one or two games like Dragon's Dogma or X-Com or BF3. I would want to check out BF4's trial but 32 GB download? lol

I agree with your points, and don't expect PS+ for PS4 to be as stellar as it has been for PS3, but there is no doubt in my mind that retail PS4 games will start to show sometime in 2015. The console hasn't even been out a full year yet and the retail library hasn't filled out that much.

Aside from some generic FPS thing, I don't really see what that line-up would be missing as far as genres go. I mean, what more do people want? There'd be a great spread of stuff, especially when you include driveclub.

It's not really "I want better games," is it? It's just "I want more expensive games." It's the only reason people want Knack, it's because it costs $60 and Spelunky is $15 and so Knack is four times as valuable. It's also fucking shit, but that's not important, is it?

Kinyou

Someone posted this in a spanish forum (EU Europe PS+ October games)

0.jpg

davechapelleprinceno1wmkai.gif

SerTapTap

And if we're talking about the "golden period" of PS+, allow me to point out February 2012:

I mean, holy shit, what a fucking month.

I wish they'd still do PSX games and even minis from time to time. Given the amount of bitching a brand new indie causes these days I guess they don't think it'd be worth it though.

Hexa

If Rainbow Moon has cross-buy with PS3 I will be satisfied for the month. I know that when it was sold it did not, but there is precedent with Dragons Crown so I'm still hoping.
Oh wait it's the EU list. Hoping there'll be something or other different for PS3 in NA. Or at least cross buy Rainbow Moon.

hawk2025

Kind of pisses me off seeing all the indie crusaders in here upset that people don't like the games they like. If someone doesn't like the games on offer, or thinks that they are poor value compared to what PS+ offered in the past, they are entitled to that opinion.

Oh, get off of it.

If you are free to post any opinion, I'm free to disagree with it as well since it's an opinion of my own. Turtles all the way down.

It's the point of having an actual message board instead of a series of blog posts. Discussion highlights and differentiates the reasoning behind thoughtful opinions and unsubstantiated ones. Don't take my posts as complaining that people are complaining about PS+ -- as Amir0x pointed out, people are free to like what they like: But that doesn't mean that all opinions come from equally strong footing.

Amir0x

Banned
Aside from some generic FPS thing, I don't really see what that line-up would be missing as far as genres go. I mean, what more do people want? There'd be a great spread of stuff, especially when you include driveclub.

It's not really "I want better games," is it? It's just "I want more expensive games." It's the only reason people want Knack, it's because it costs $60 and Spelunky is $15 and so Knack is four times as valuable. It's also fucking shit, but that's not important, is it?

Plus the games can't be too old! And they can't have sold too much, or else too many people played them! And they must be the highest rated games in their series.. wait, except if they're too old! And they can't be indies! Or they can, but those indies must be brand new!

.............Spelunky PS4?

That's making me shiver. So many hours played on the Vita. Not sure if I want to go through that again on the PS4. Man.

Winter John

I own both Spelunky and Dust, so it's another disappointing month for me. My PS+ sub runs out next week. I doubt I'll be renewing it anytime soon. Now that Sony have paywalled their multiplayer service, I'd like to see them introduce a lower priced tier which offers the service without the free games. I can happily live without those.

Seraphis Cain

bad gameplay lol
I wish they'd still do PSX games and even minis from time to time. Given the amount of bitching a brand new indie causes these days I guess they don't think it'd be worth it though.

Personally I'm in the very small minority who still thinks PS+ was better before the IGC changeover. I miss PSOne Classics and random not-indie-but-not-full-retail PSN games.

dugdug

Banned
PS4's a huge hit, you need + to play online, so Sony have absolutely no incentive to improve the offerings, in fact, as their dominance grows, they have good reason to make it even worse.

What? How does this make any sense? How does it benefit them?

I don't feel like I'm getting a great value with PS+ anymore. I don't mind indies but outside of the first few months on PS4 I haven't cared for any of the games they've offered. I'm not saying they're bad since most of these games get good reviews but they're just not for me. People were spraying their shorts over Velocity (and rightly so, it's a $20 game for "free") but I played it for about 20 minutes before I lost interest.

I'd cancel if multiplayer wasn't behind a paywall. DriveClub is its only saving grace for me.

Toki767

Plus the games can't be too old! And they can't have sold too much, or else too many people played them! And they must be the highest rated games in their series.. wait, except if they're too old! And they can't be indies! Or they can, but those indies must be brand new!

Sony could give out GTA V next month and you'd still have people complaining that they've already played it.

.............Spelunky PS4?

That's making me shiver. So many hours played on the Vita. Not sure if I want to go through that again on the PS4. Man.

When it was announced they said there'd be some new Daily Challenge stuff to keep it interesting, so jump right back in ;)

Think of all the hilarious death replays you could post on PS4 with the share button! I hope it has new trophies, some of the old ones from XBLA that never made it across.

StuBurns

Banned
im sorry but you have too high of expectations. The fact that the console has come out in less then a year still, of course it won't give away triple AAA games but saying there are no triple AAA games coming out for plus ever is saddening.
Vita EU launch, June '12.
Vita EU IGC, Nov '12, Gravity Rush and Uncharted.

By June '13, Wipeout, Lumines, MGS HD, and Virtue's Last Reward had all been added. Not only were we getting full retail releases, we were getting arguably the most desirable titles on the platform.

Don't cling to the 'first year' argument, it's simply not true.
What? How does this make any sense? How does it benefit them?
Because paying to add something cheap to PS+, that few people want, is going to be massively cheaper than paying for a major game. Anyone who wants to play online needs + regardless, they can't abstain because they're not happy with the IGC, they're paying regardless, so the least of that money Sony has to spend on IGC games, the more they keep.

Top Bottom