• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Playstation Plus Thread 2: How do I hold all these games?

Magnus

Arkham Asylum and D&D? I'll take it! Was about to dip on D&D anyway!

(there are two D&D games up there, no?)

Unfamiliar with the PS4 games.

it's been a sad reflection of a huge part of the gaming community for a while, their reaction to indies. treating indies like their less of a game or some shit, or that they're somehow poorer quality. even though so many of the indies we've been getting are amongst the best games in their respective years

It's fucking regressive behavior that needs to be stopped.

The indie game stuff is fine, I don't mind it a bit. But if AA is really part of the PS+ package for october then the program has official jumped the shark. That's a 5 year old retail game that has had 2 direct sequels and one side game, of which one of those games already made it to the service.

I'm not asking for a game that came out two months ago, but fuck that noise if they're really going to give us games that came out in retail the last decade and pass it off as a value.

JP

Someone posted this in a spanish forum (EU Europe PS+ October games)

0.jpg
I know there's always a bit of luck with Plus when it comes to getting games that people have already played but for me at least this would be a really good month. That's without including DriveClub which I've already paid to upgrade to the full game.

hawk2025

it's been a sad reflection of a huge part of the gaming community for a while, their reaction to indies. treating indies like their less of a game or some shit, or that they're somehow poorer quality. even though so many of the indies we've been getting are amongst the best games in their respective years

It's fucking regressive behavior that needs to be stopped.

The worst thing is that people with awful taste will start dictating what comes to Ps+ if this keeps happening.

Disheartening situation all around.

Petrie

Banned
Well, you are free to think what you want, but I can assure you they are not "hardcore" gamers and they play all the games they buy.

If they are buying every humble bundle and such on PC and playing every single one of them, they are definitely the definition of "hardcore".

Amir0x

Banned
The indie game stuff is fine, I don't mind it a bit. But if AA is really part of the PS+ package for october then the program has official jumped the shark. That's a 5 year old retail game that has had 2 direct sequels and one side game, of which one of those games already made it to the service.

I'm not asking for a game that came out two months ago, but fuck that noise if they're really going to give us games that came out in retail the last decade and pass it off as a value.

Why? Why should there be a limit on how long ago a game came out that should be on PS+? It should be a MIX, as it currently is. Plenty of people have not played games from five years ago, six years ago.

Jesus christ, gamers love to put arbitrarily limitations on shit.

Spelunky seems to get a lot of praise, I'll check it out.
Dust is a decent addition to the backlog I guess. Some day ...
Would have been another poor month, but driveclub demo is a good thing. I need to feel how it plays before any purchase will be considered.

just treat them all like just games and it won't matter. I don't care what the damn budget it is on a game. is it good? yes? awesome!

The "drop" in AAAs is expected for PS4 in its first year; but PS3 has been getting AAAs so I don't know what you're talking about on that score.

I think I don't have to tell you that budget aside, they are different kind of games. Look what they gave for PS3 last year, look this past three months. Look also that they cut IGC so there are even less games, even less if you just jumped into PS+.

And there is the quality, the last three AAA games for PS3 this past months are the worst in their respective series, so no, there is a lack of that too. And there aren't many awesome indies either. Velocity 2x is one, and is for Vita/PS4, great adition! But, Proteus? Seriously?

Again, Vita is getting the good stuff, and I'm good with that since I have that console. PS4 is understandable that there aren't other games than indies, but PS3 lacks quality and quantity. Four months in a row.

bender

What time is it?
I didn't know Spelunky was coming this month. I'm one step closer to retiring my PS3 (come on Minna No Golf). If the rumor is true, not the most exciting month as I own most of those games already. I'll give D&D a whirl though.

Drayco21

I think I don't have to tell you that budget aside, they are different kind of games. Look what they gave for PS3 last year, look this past three months. Look also that they cut IGC so there are even less games, even less if you just jumped into PS+.

This has been the source of my disappointment- the last few months have felt like a substantial decrease in value for the same price as before. Plus last year was incredible, this one has been largely unremarkable.

SerTapTap

Not too bad considering Drive Club, Dust is great, really do recommend you give it a shot, skip the dialogs if the art style/"furry" bothers you, it's a fun metroidvania with some neat combat mechanics. Everyone likes Spelunky but I guess most people who are interested already have it. PS3 games are old and/or bad AAA games and PS4 games are good indies, that's about what you should know to expect.

Will check out Pix the Cat, hadn't heard of it.

I think they already gave out Arkham City.

They did, at least in the US

Yep they did indeed.

Octobers games suck imo

I'd have liked dust on my vita rather than PS4 and spelunky will probably be X buy so i'll play that on vita instead

Spelunky was already PS+ on Vita, I'd be surprised if it's not cross-buy, but it would also be weird if they gave PS+ for a cross buy game that was already on +, I guess it wouldn't be too crazy because PS4 owners are the most likely to not have any other Sony consoles though.

They really should have kept plus optional, these threads show a lot of people are not finding any value in it.

Unfortunately, despite the bitching and possible decrease in spend by Sony to get games, PS+ subs are through the roof due to paid online so there's no way this wasn't a good decision for sony.

Seraphis Cain

bad gameplay lol
If the image is true, I'll be kinda disappointed. Already own Dust on Steam (don't have a PS4 but I figured I'd cover this one anyway), already own Spelunky on Steam and PS3 (and by extension Vita and PS4), already beaten Asylum on PS3 and own it on Steam, already own D&D CoM, already own Rainbow Moon on PS3 (and greatly dislike it)...Pix-Cat is the only one I have no experience with.

Amir0x

Banned

No, they are not. Indies are games just like any other. Sorry that you create imaginary lines in the sands between games.

And there is the quality, the last three AAA games for PS3 this past months are the worst in their respective series, so no, there is a lack of that too. And there aren't many awesome indies either. Velocity 2x is one, and is for Vita/PS4, great adition! But, Proteus? Seriously?

Serpens007 subjective evaluation of which games he deems are "good enough" to count for PS+ is surely quite a strong argument.

Again, Vita is getting the good stuff, and I'm good with that since I have that console. PS4 is understandable that there aren't other games than indies, but PS3 lacks quality and quantity. Four months in a row.

August PS+ (PS3)

Crysis 3 (76 metacritic "generally favorable reviews")
Dragon's Crown (82 metacritic "generally favorable reviews")

July PS+ (PS3)

Dead Space 3 (76 metacritic "generally favorable reviews")
Vessel (no metacritic; but reviews range in the 80s)

September PS+ (PS3)

Hoard (75 metacritic, "generally favorable reviews")
Sportsfriends (81 metacritic, 'generally favorable reviews")

So your metric now is - must be AAA, must be the highest rated games in their respective series. What other ropes you want to tie around PS+ neck? If you don't like the games, that's fine. But this shit is nonsense already. The service is not tailored for just you. Some months you'll like, others you won't. Some months you'll have games you've already played, others you won't.

Sony has done a phenomenal job at mixing things up.

It's fucking regressive behaviour that needs to be stopped.

Honestly, leading up to and post reveal of each months PS+ games on Gaf becomes unbearable these days.

It’s just the same shitty reasons from (most likely) the same people every month – Another Indie?!?, I already have that on Steam, I just bought that game, I didn’t buy a £350 PS4 for Indie games….All of these means the service is shit and not worth the meagre money it costs for a service that is optional on 2 consoles and needed for online/cloud storage etc. on the other apparently.

The thing is that if you look at all the excuses it mostly boils down to 2 types of gamers:

1) A hard-core gamer who buys hundreds of games on Steam/IOS etc. and probably hasn’t even played all their games.
2) Someone who can’t afford many big games and as such tops up their list with +.
3) An idiot who decided to buy the latest new shiny toy without doing any research or using any logic on how PS+ would work on PS4 or what the landscape would be like for the first year games wise.

Either of these really aren’t who this service is for (Except online on PS4 of course). I mean, the hard-core gamer is a complete outliner compared to the majority of gamers. I mean the average attach rate for PS4 is something like 2.5/3 isn’t it? So the chances of actually owning both games on PS4 in a month are unlikely unless your someone who buys a tonne of games and as such isn’t the average gamer.

For the person who can’t afford many games, if the £40 you spent for at least 12 PS4 games (Plus any cross buy ones and PS3/V games too) is so much money for yourself that you regret it after the 12 months then I would dare you to try and get more value spending that money at GAME etc. and see how far you get.

For the idiot gamer – Is this your first start to a generation? Did you not have PS+ from day 1 and see what the content used to be like then compared to now? Did you not know that PS+ wasn’t even on Vita for nearly a year because of the standard lack of games on a new system?

Honestly, some people on Gaf need to get themselves a clue and realise that 99% of gamers aren’t like many on Gaf: They don’t own 1000’s games on Steam (Without actually playing at least 70% of them). They don’t have an irrational hate of indies just because it didn’t cost $100m to make. I know many gamers who have either played for years or are relatively new to the hobby and I can count on one hand how many have Steam accounts or will hate on a game before even trying it.

And most importantly – Just because you don’t like the list of games doesn’t mean its rubbish, many people enjoy what’s given out. Just because you already own some of the games doesn’t mean the list is rubbish, it’s just unfortunate/inevitable from your spending habits.

I have a bit more games, but I completed more then 30. If I buy a game, I will play it. One day. Eventually. If I buy a bundle, I generally play the game I was itnerested. If there are interesting games, I MAY play them.

That's called a backlog, dammit! We all have em! :p

The point I'm trying to make is this; some of these games are available on PC for cheaper, sure. That's the case for most of the time. But on consoles? It's still very nice to get them. Just because they're in your Steam backlog doesn't mean they're bad games for Plus. Quite the opposite, in fact.

This is a special month too, since we're getting #DRIVECLUB PS+ Edition too. Nobody's getting that on PC, ever.

Saiyan-Rox

Spelunky was already PS+ on Vita, I'd be surprised if it's not cross-buy, but it would also be weird if they gave PS+ for a cross buy game that was already on +, I guess it wouldn't be too crazy because PS4 owners are the most likely to not have any other Sony consoles though.

I don't think spelunky was on PS+ here before this though. I could be wrong but I'm sure it hasn't.

I for one am happy PS+ is slowly turning into the humble bundle. Looking forward to when they add each game's soundtrack to the mix as well. And the ability to gift games you already own. Steam keys wouldn't hurt either. And free online. PS+ will be great one day

I for one am happy PS+ is slowly turning into the humble bundle. Looking forward to when they add each game's soundtrack to the mix as well. And the ability to gift games you already own. Steam keys wouldn't hurt either. And free online. PS+ will be great one day

Ooh, that's be pretty cool..That'd be neat too, but I dunno if-wait what
wot
wot
WOT

If all we got was that D&D brawler this month I would still walk away happy.

It's so fucking good. Everybody Be A Wizard! #CRITDAGGER #CloudKill #FullScreenMagic

PS4 games are two titles I've tried and didn't like. Oh well.

I'd always advise people to give Spelunky a little bit more time if they don't like it at first. It's very good at alienating players by killing them very quickly at first, but every situation has a way around it, every enemy has a weakness, you just have to get to know them over a little time. The more you learn it, the better it gets, and it gets phenomenally good when you're at a level where you can play well (and you'll get there, trust me). The only game that comes close to this for that sense of feeling how much better you're getting is Trials, obviously a different beast but still, it's so fucking satisfying. That feeling that every single run you know a tiny bit more about the game that will let you go further next time.

Also, dying in Spelunky is hilarious. I've played 25 minute long runs and been filled to the brim with items and money and then died in some painfully stupid way and always I laugh out loud because it's so slapstick. Then I restart.

Give it another hour or so. If you still don't like it I'll personally give you back the $0 you pay for it on PS+

Sec0nd

PS4 lineup seems interesting. I hope the PS3 lineup is fake. I've already got Arkham Asylum and I have no interest in that D&D game.

SerTapTap

Spelunky was never PS+ on Vita... I caved and bought it during a sale after waiting for it to debut on PS+ for many months

It wasn't? I could have swore it was, maybe it was just crazy cheap. I own it for some reason but don't really care for it, I thought it was because of +

No, they are not. Indies are games just like any other. Sorry that you create imaginary lines in the sands between games.

August PS+ (PS3)

Crysis 3 (76 metacritic "generally favorable reviews")
Dragon's Crown (82 metacritic "generally favorable reviews")

July PS+ (PS3)

Dead Space 3 (76 metacritic "generally favorable reviews")
Vessel (no metacritic; but reviews range in the 80s)

September PS+ (PS3)

Hoard (75 metacritic, "generally favorable reviews")
Sportsfriends (81 metacritic, 'generally favorable reviews")

So your metric now is - must be AAA, must be the highest rated games in their respective series. What other ropes you want to tie around PS+ neck? If you don't like the games, that's fine. But this shit is nonsense already. The service is not tailored for just you. Some months you'll like, others you won't. Some months you'll have games you've already played, others you won't.

Sony has done a phenomenal job at mixing things up.

Again, look the year before. Higher rated games, IGC, etc.

I would tell you that you're right and my subjective opinion doesn't matter, but just take a look at this thread, is a general opinion that quality has decreased for PS3 titles. Shouldn't a general opinion matter instead of a minority that thinks that anything is okay?

And yes, indies are quite different. Some of them gives you more content that AAAs, other gives you far less, but just looking at them, you know they are different. I think that you are way too into defending indies, even if I have already said that I, personaly, like them, and enjoy them for Vita, some of them even in PS3. And also haven't said that every PS+ game should be AAA. But it is not just me that thinks that the mix quality has decreased for PS3, and the price hasn't decreased.

It wasn't? I could have swore it was, maybe it was just crazy cheap. I own it for some reason but don't really care for it, I thought it was because of +

It was super cheap on a PS+ sale in the summer, IIRC.

They have to support 3 platforms now instead of just 2. There also may be not as many available games for them to dig into, considering there are new platforms out now.

Griss

The reaction to PS+ these days is so different to what it was even just a year ago. Then it was all 'Thank you based Sony! I can't believe I'm getting all these games for free! Is this for real?' etc. Now it's very, very mixed, with many people feeling like they're not getting value. PS+ is one of the things that really built up goodwill for Sony before the launch of the PS4. I wonder if Sony is aware of the change in perception. I wonder if, at this stage, they care.

Kind of pisses me off seeing all the indie crusaders in here upset that people don't like the games they like. If someone doesn't like the games on offer, or thinks that they are poor value compared to what PS+ offered in the past, they are entitled to that opinion.

Remember, indies tend to be niche games in niche genres - that's what's great about them, without them these genres would die. But that means that by definition they will appeal to far less people. Your big budget AAA games can be bland as fuck, but it's by design - they must appeal to tons of people, and they tend to. So it's not surprising that more people will be happy with the non-niche games than the niche ones. For example: We got Velocity last month and Spelunky this month. Both are pretty niche and I strongly dislike both, from a couple of hours with them. I'd take almost any AAA title over either because I'd probably get at least some enjoyment out of it. But people who like those two games love them to pieces because they're right down their alley. That's great. But PS+ used to have a broader appeal.

Then there's the monetary argument. I originally signed up for PS+ because I felt guaranteed of getting 1-3 blockbuster games from 1 or 2 years ago for so little money. I was getting so many games that I had wanted to buy (but couldn't afford) that I actually stopped buying games. Many others did the same. It has been a long time since I saw a game like that on the service, really. A long time since I thought 'WOW! This is saving me so much money on games I'd otherwise have bought!'

The thing is that if you look at all the excuses it mostly boils down to 2 types of gamers:

1) A hard-core gamer who buys hundreds of games on Steam/IOS etc. and probably hasn’t even played all their games.
2) Someone who can’t afford many big games and as such tops up their list with +.
3) An idiot who decided to buy the latest new shiny toy without doing any research or using any logic on how PS+ would work on PS4 or what the landscape would be like for the first year games wise.

For the person who can’t afford many games, if the £40 you spent for at least 12 PS4 games (Plus any cross buy ones and PS3/V games too) is so much money for yourself that you regret it after the 12 months then I would dare you to try and get more value spending that money at GAME etc. and see how far you get.

People aren't comparing PS+ to how far their money would go in a normal shop, they're comparing it
a) To what PS+ was a year ago, and how much more monetary value those games had when they were put on the service
b) To steam, on which most of these indie games are dirt cheap.

It's still great value, but it was utterly ridiculous value before and it's hard not to be a little disappointed that those days appear to be over for the moment.

alr1ght

bish gets all the credit :)
Everyone should play Spelunky. If it doesn't click after an hour or two, watch somebody on youtube who knows what they're doing. It really opens the game up. Had an absolute blast with it.

Letting mine expire for a while but I'm just glad that more people will play Spelunky
so there will be more people below me in the daily rankngs

Toki767

Kind of sad that I predicted Arkham Asylum correctly if that image is true.

The rest are pretty good choices though. I found Dust to be super boring, but I can see why people like it.

Amir0x

Banned

Last year was the same, a mix. Some games were really high rated, some games were rated just decently. All of them are games that matter to some people.

I would tell you that you're right and my subjective opinion doesn't matter, but just take a look at this thread, is a general opinion that quality has decreased for PS3 titles. Shouldn't a general opinion matter instead of a minority that thinks that anything is okay?

Quantify it. Some people don't like it, some people do. The quality of the complaints are what matters. Complaining because they are indie just makes the individual saying it look silly.

And yes, indies are quite different. Some of them gives you more content that AAAs, other gives you far less, but just looking at them, you know they are different. I think that you are way too into defending indies, even if I have already said that I, personaly, like them, and enjoy them for Vita, some of them even in PS3. And also haven't said that every PS+ game should be AAA. But it is not just me that thinks that the mix quality has decreased for PS3, and the price hasn't decreased.

The only difference is that they are games without major publishers and on average they have smaller budgets. They come in all shapes and sizes - every genre, every visual type, every content type, every length... just like AAA.

Again, you can draw lines in the sand if it makes you feel better. But for those of us who just love games, period, it just comes across as regressive nonsense.

alr1ght

bish gets all the credit :)
If they patched out all story and voice acting, Dust may actually be bearable. There is a good game underneath all that.

I think people are forgetting that the biggest and best PS3 games were being given away for free near the end of its lifecycle

Where is logically made the most sense to do so.

If you look at how they handle PS+ on the business side the pieces fall into place. Stcik around and I guarantee AAA will creep in to the PS4 list eventually

Dont expect miracles guys.

Hasney

Damn, at this rate, my Vita is only getting switched on when Dancing All Night hits.

I'll grab Spelunky again, but Dust... Goddamn that game.

Still, excited for Driveclub.

Last year was the same, a mix. Some games were really high rated, some games were rated just decently. All of them are games that matter to some people.

Quantify it. Some people don't like it, some people do. The quality of the complaints are what matters. Complaining because they are indie just makes the individual saying it look silly.

The only difference is that they are games without major publishers and on average they have smaller budgets. They come in all shapes and sizes - every genre, every visual type, every content type, every length... just like AAA.

Again, you can draw lines in the sand if it makes you feel better. But for those of us who just love games, period, it just comes across as regressive nonsense.
There was like, one dude that was kinda ok with Arkham Asylum being a freebie. Anyone who loves playing games has played it already, or they played its sequel as it went free in april.

It's a bad choice for this. No one is complaining about Dungeons & Dragons and there are some saying that they already have Dust and Spelunky from previous deals or humble bundles, sure, but AA - while being a great game - is bottom of the barrel stuff, man. I'd honestly rather have another quality indie release than that, and it almost feels like it's there because they didn't want people to bitch about there being no retail releases in Oct.

Of course, it could still be that that image isn't legit. I guess we'll find out soon enough.

Top Bottom