• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Playstation Store 01/15/09

VegaShinra

Hey guys, I got an interview with the dev team of GTI Club. If any of you have questions on the game shoot me a PM or post them here.

Cruzader

Banned
One question about Fear2 filter. Did any1 feel the grainy look is too high? I thought it was an issue with my 22" till some1 pointed out.

I could have sworn I had read that the Ghost N' Goblins was going to be a PS3 downloadable game. So very disappointing that it's not, I had gotten so excited.

AFreak

Banned
Remy said:
I've seen a couple of requests for Magic Ball impressions, so here's mine after about an hour with the game:

I like it. After playing so many breakout clones that are just blocks + powerups, actually hitting objects that aren't blocks seems quite fresh and different. But maybe I'm not playing enough breakout clones.

But yeah, it's Breakout with objects, and all the objects adhere to the physics engine, and once you've cleared enough items out of the level (not sure what constitutes "enough"), a Next Level powerup will appear and you carry on. A lot of the objects require multiple hits to break them apart, like the sharks or the kraken. There's also weapons you can interact with on the playfield (lots of cannons on the pirate levels).

There are a lot of powerups. Some are traditional (multi-ball, bigger/smaller paddle/ball, faster/slower ball, super ball, magnet), some are weaponry (I've seen lasers, machine guns, cannons, and a bazooka), some are passive environmental attacks (meteors, lightning), and a few are there just to screw with you (Crazy Ball makes the ball randomly drift around the screen for about 15 seconds, which is panic inducing). The favorite one I've seen so far has been what's essentially a hurricane, which applies some wind against the objects on the playfield - which is great if you have multi-part things to hit.

Scoring wise, there's a combo system but I haven't figured it out yet, bonus rounds (1-10 is the only one I've reached), online leaderboards, and a few pages of statistics.

Didn't have a chance to try the multiplayer yet, but there's co-op and competitive, and it does indicate that voice chat works - but given that the only menu items I saw for getting into games were "Create Game" and "Accept Invitation", I'm not clear on how you do random matchmaking. Might have to play with it more tomorrow.

Framerate is steady, graphics look surprisingly nice, and there's a good amount of polish. Tik has impressed me thus far with their attention to detail.

I'm pretty happy with it, all things considered. It's a solid casual-ish title, and it's doesn't feel like the usual brand of Breakout clones.

Recommended, unless you really just don't like Breakout.

Breakout you say? I'm so good at Breakout games. I want to buy this now...

Susurrus

-Cv- said:
I could have sworn I had read that the Ghost N' Goblins was going to be a PS3 downloadable game. So very disappointing that it's not, I had gotten so excited.

I still don't understand why Sony doesn't allow for PSP emulation, surely the PS3 can handle it? I'm not expecting for UMDs, but for these games you download off of PSN, this would be great and probably increase sells.

holy shit F.E.A.R. 2 is incredible. PHENOMENAL. wow. had excellent horror aspects, the gunplay is fun, piloting the walking vehicle was a great time, and the graphics were pretty awesome.

may just be the horror fanatic in me, but that shit was awesome.

Phloxy

Yeah it was. Love the level design from an concept viewpoint. Much more like a badass version of F.E.A.R mixed with Condemned. after playing through on hard my hands were tight on the controller, so intense. Never would have thought killzone would have competition.

NO NO no flamewars here, it's just cool to see two great shooters coming out for the PS3 around the same time.

Darkpen

Banned
ok, so I just checked out the prices for the previous disgaea 3 dlc, and wow, seriously, the bundle option is for the lazy. I can't believe they're not discounting the "bundle" price :|

web01

I am a bit LTTP here but just picked up Savage Moon great game.
Highly recommended if you liked PJ Monsters.

dejay

Banned
Hmmm, magic ball looks like Arkanoid with 3d objects. Looks like something I could have a lot of fun with. However,no fucking demo, no sale.

Darkpen said:
ok, so I just checked out the prices for the previous disgaea 3 dlc, and wow, seriously, the bundle option is for the lazy. I can't believe they're not discounting the "bundle" price :|

A premium theme unlocks for download when you buy the Disgaea 3 bundles, does it do the same for the individual DLC packs or is it just for people who buy the bundles?

GrayFoxPL

VegaShinra said:
Hey guys, I got an interview with the dev team of GTI Club. If any of you have questions on the game shoot me a PM or post them here.

You mean who? Sumo digital or the Konami team that did it for arcades?

If it's Sumo then, please ask them if they have more arcade ports on the way after outrun online. In other words: DAYTONA? DAYTONA? DAYTONA?

Tell them they're great team! :D

Xater

FEAR 2 is pretty cool I'm gonna get it BUT

WHY THE HELL IS SHOOTING/ AIMING ON R2/L2????

WTF Monolith have you not learned by now that it sucks this way on the PS3 controller? You can't even change it!

Who do I have to talk to in order to get a US PSN card code? I've been patient enough for some PSN releases in Europe, and I believe there's someone reliable here that could help me faster than buying the card myself and having it shipped to me.

Rolf NB

Philanthropist said:
Who do I have to talk to in order to get a US PSN card code? I've been patient enough for some PSN releases in Europe, and I believe there's someone reliable here that could help me faster than buying the card myself and having it shipped to me.
Strider2K99 is the one who gets the things done.

Susurrus said:
I still don't understand why Sony doesn't allow for PSP emulation, surely the PS3 can handle it? I'm not expecting for UMDs, but for these games you download off of PSN, this would be great and probably increase sells.
I believe Sony is working on a PSP emulator, since there was a job posting a year ago in Japan for various emulation (PS1, PS2, PSP, etc. was listed). I don't think the issue is so much whether the PS3 can emulate the PSP (I do know that emulating the PS2on PS3 hardware can be hard due to the GS), I would think it more so has to do with the PSP having a much lower resolution than the PS3, and finding a way to do a major upscale and still hope it looks nice (when playing PSP games on a big TV, in 480p, it doesn't utilize the full screen and looks a bit pixelated).

VegaShinra said:
I'm trying to think of something, but I'm a little curious as to why they felt it was great bringing GTi Club+ to PSN, where most Arcade racers haven't been released as digital downloads. If I think of something, I'll let you know.

Cruzader

Banned
Susurrus said:

PSP sold like a million on December, more than PS2 and PS3. There's no way that Sony will make/release an emulator at this point. You guys who want that are crazy, its a terrible business idea. Just stop being cheap and get a PSP already. They can be found cheap online. If you really want to get this game get it off the buy/sale thread here at gaf..some ppls sell it around 10 bucks shipped.

Beardz

Magic Ball: Ok game, I bought it thinking about my gf; played a little, quick fun before jumping to another game.

GTI Club: Fun arcade racing game, again, bought it thinking about my gf, she likes racing games (MotorStorm is one of her favorites), about online, I played a bomb type game, is that the only mode? Can you have normal races online? Sorry if this was asked before.

Jim

Has it been mentioned that Burnout Paradise is getting a price adjustment to $19.99? If not, then here ya go :)

Oni Jazar

Cruzader said:
PSP sold like a million on December, more than PS2 and PS3. There's no way that Sony will make/release an emulator at this point. You guys who want that are crazy, its a terrible business idea. Just stop being cheap and get a PSP already. They can be found cheap online. If you really want to get this game get it off the buy/sale thread here at gaf..some ppls sell it around 10 bucks shipped.

I have a PSP and love it, but a PSP emulator on the PS3 would be great! It's a very sound business idea. Nintendo did it with the Gamecube, I don't see the problem here.

Look. The PSP hardware is selling, what isn't selling is the software. What better way to give devs incentive to develop PSP games then to have their PSP game also compatible with the PS3! What better way to promote PSP games then by having it compatible on the PS3! Buy the game online, play on the PS3 at home then transfer to the PSP when you're on the go. It's a fucking no-brainer.

On another note, damnit Jim that's awesome news about Burnout Paradise! I own the retail copy but I think I may just have to get the download so I have immediate access.

kuYuri

Jim said:
Has it been mentioned that Burnout Paradise is getting a price adjustment to $19.99? If not, then here ya go :)

Very cool.

Also confirmed is that the Party DLC thing (the one that allows up to 8 people to play BP challenges with one controller) hits PS Store February 5th.

Jim

Septimus said:
Is this in effect right now?

No, but it'll be a Thursday between now and the Party Pack DLC release on Feb 5th. I'm thinking it'll be ON the 5th to go along with the Pack so they can promote them together.

Aladuf

Banned
Volcynika said:
Magic Ball is fun!

Also, :lol at some of the trophy names: "Through the Fire and Flames"
LiquidMetal14 said:
Magic Ball is great. It has co op, competitive online modes and trophies of course. Worth the 10.
Both of you motivated me to go check out the preview for Magic Ball on the PSN Store because I've not heard anything about it before. I had to buy it right away. :lol

The PSN store is running my wallet dry, I've bought at least 1 thing each week (usually more) for the past month or so. Lots of great stuff lately.

Oni Jazar said:
I have a PSP and love it, but a PSP emulator on the PS3 would be great! It's a very sound business idea. Nintendo did it with the Gamecube, I don't see the problem here.

Look. The PSP hardware is selling, what isn't selling is the software. What better way to give devs incentive to develop PSP games then to have their PSP game also compatible with the PS3! What better way to promote PSP games then by having it compatible on the PS3! Buy the game online, play on the PS3 at home then transfer to the PSP when you're on the go. It's a fucking no-brainer.

On another note, damnit Jim that's awesome news about Burnout Paradise! I own the retail copy but I think I may just have to get the download so I have immediate access.
The difference is Nintendo pretty much had a monopoly in the handheld business with the Gameboy Advance. If anyone wanted a handheld for the go, it was the GBA (so they were barely hurting or reducing foothold). If anything, Sony wants to increase their handheld foothold against Nintendo. PSP downloads for PS3 might hurt PSP sales just a little, and cause Nintendo to have a bigger stake of the handheld marketshare. People having to buy a PSP for certain games causes PSP to gain some ground against the DS (while I understand it may not be much).

Volcynika

Actually only one thing that irks me about Magic Ball:

The start of the pirate level music makes me think of Mario Sunshine music and I always think it'll go into that tune, but it NEVER DOES.

D:

Lyte Edge

All I got for the Vernal Equinox was this stupid tag
GTI Club is good stuff. Sumo Digital always does an awesome job porting racing games. :D

Durante

Wait, Magic Ball is an Arkanoid-style game? With local and online MP? Soooo bought.

Edit:
Ugh, I was wondering how I could miss an Arkanoid-like game when checking the PSN store (I really love this kind of game), but now I saw that it's not on the German-language stores :(

LiquidMetal14

hide your water-based mammals
Durante said:
Wait, Magic Ball is an Arkanoid-style game? With local and online MP? Soooo bought.
This had a good ammount of depth too.

And for the one who asked, you can earn all the SP trophies online while doing co-op. I did it last night. Such a fun game.

klee123

VegaShinra said:

Ask if the dev team is gonna offer more courses as dlc.

Also, if they are considering remaking other Konami arcade classics.

ram

Lyte Edge said:
GTI Club is good stuff. Sumo Digital always does an awesome job porting racing games. :D

good job? at least the european version has some serious loading problems. for example when entering the last round (and the music changes), than the game freezes for a second. awesome job indeed.

Also, if they are considering remaking other Konami arcade classics.

depends on how successful gti club+ is. mind you, thats an european konami project.

Dante

Man.... I hate to say this but FEAR 2 is garbage. After hearing from the 1up PC guy Shawn go on about how awesome the FEAR AI was I was EXTREMELY disappointed. Did they flank me out? No. Use Grenades on me? No. Call in reinforcements? NO. Felt like run of the mill FPS shit. The mech stuff was cool, but goddamn this demo was mediocre at best :/

Blablurn

hi guys, got a question. i finally got my credit card. and i want to spend some money on the american store (i'm from europe btw). I had to use a fake adress after confirming my credit card information. can i still use the card? even with a fake address.

Top Bottom