• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Playstation Store 01/15/09

rass

I got up early so i could get a few skate 2 run throughs in before work (AU here). 60% in 2 hours. stoopid broken internet, have to wait for the last bit after i get home :(

Aeon712

Did anybody get the Resistance Retribution demo today? I'll have to get a code from Best Buy tomorrow to try it out.

AndyD

aka andydumi
Tranced Shadow said:
Er, the two Disgaea characters cost $1.99 each ($3.98 to buy them both), and the bundle with both of them costs... $3.99.

:lol

And the bundle also gives you the theme I think.

Wait a minute, Marvel vs Capcom 2 is coming to PSN maybe this year?? Is this just a rumor or something more? I need to know
so I can cum everywhere
!!

Plinko

Wildcard berths that can't beat teams without a winning record should have homefield advantage
Sony: "We're going to release more PS1 titles!"

PSN Update: "No PS1 titles!"

Me: "Damn it."

Grayman

Mr. E. Yis said:
Wait a minute, Marvel vs Capcom 2 is coming to PSN maybe this year?? Is this just a rumor or something more? I need to know
so I can cum everywhere
!!
Just rumors so far(ESRB leak, and it might have been on the xbox partnernet thingy)

Cruzader

Banned
Got a Snowblind(ps2/XB) feel from the Fear 2 demo. Whats worse is that having played KZ2 beta, made game feel some what dull. Ai seems great tho...one guy used a car's door as cover!! Lastly controls suck! R2 to shoot is lame. God, GG have definitly upped the standards on console fps'.

kuYuri

Cruzader said:
Got a Snowblind(ps2/XB) feel from the Fear 2 demo. Whats worse is that having played KZ2 beta, made game feel some what dull. Ai seems great tho...one guy used a car's door as cover!! Lastly controls suck! R2 to shoot is lame. God, GG have definitly upped the standards on console fps'.

Chances are they will have customizable controls in retail copy.

Wow, the Skate 2 demo is d/ling so slow. 50% after an hour and a half. Usually my downloads fly. By far the slowest it has ever been!

Snaku

Banned
Plinko said:
Sony: "We're going to release more PS1 titles!"

PSN Update: "No PS1 titles!"

Me: "Damn it."

Seriously, wtf? Where's the RE series? Where's Xenogears? How about a little equal fucking treatment here, SCEA?

RoboPlato

I'd be in the dick
cjtiger300 said:
Wow, the Skate 2 demo is d/ling so slow. 50% after an hour and a half. Usually my downloads fly. By far the slowest it has ever been!
Mine's at 7% after nearly an hour. :/ I don't have the greatest connection but usually I can get about a gig an hour. Also, who decides the file sizes for these demos? 1.8 gigs for Skate 2, really?

Flunkie

Banned
Anyone with shit PSN speeds.. use a wired connection if you aren't already. I was using wireless for awhile because it was handy and got mediocre download speeds. Recently switched it over to a wired connection and it's blazing now. I downloaded the Skate 2 demo in maybe 15-20 minutes.

Juuuust a suggestion.

kuYuri

Snaku said:
Seriously, wtf? Where's the RE series? Where's Xenogears? How about a little equal fucking treatment here, SCEA?

John D over at the PS Blog has said they are working on getting the RE games on PSN, plus other Capcom titles.

Flunkie said:
Anyone with shit PSN speeds.. use a wired connection if you aren't already. I was using wireless for awhile because it was handy and got mediocre download speeds. Recently switched it over to a wired connection and it's blazing now. I downloaded the Skate 2 demo in maybe 15-20 minutes.

Juuuust a suggestion.

It is wired. Usually mine goes really fast too! Wonder if I should restart my PS3.

Cruzader

Banned
Speeds are fine here. If you have a shitty ISP, expect shitty PSN DLs. I can DL a 2GB file in 15-20 min(such as Qore and big demos like Skate 2) sometimes even faster.

mrwilt

cjtiger300 said:
It is wired. Usually mine goes really fast too! Wonder if I should restart my PS3.

Mine is going extremely slow, as well. I was getting kicked from psn often tonight while playing Lost Planet, too.

Cruzader said:
Speeds are fine here. If you have a shitty ISP, expect shitty PSN DLs. I can DL a 2GB file in 15-20 min(such as Qore and big demos like Skate 2) sometimes even faster.

i have been experiencing very slow dl speeds also the last couple of days, I dont have a shitty ISP.

RoboPlato

I'd be in the dick
dreamer3kx said:
i have been experiencing very slow dl speeds also the last couple of days, I dont have a shitty ISP.
Same here. PSN DLs have been slow as molasses but everything else has been normal.

Nizz

Cruzader said:
Noooooo! There's no option to switch it in the menu? If not, that is really disappointing to me. :( Monolith used R1 to attack/shoot in Condemned 2. I would have thought they would have kept the same set-up. I really hope the final game has the option to switch it up. This is one of my most anticipated titles but that would bum me out... R2 to shoot...

Flunkie

Banned
Just played the FEAR 2 demo. I've got mixed feelings. I absolutely adored FEAR when it first came out on PC. I loved that game. FEAR 2 is unfortunately steering away from that direction. In the first FEAR, I used to dread the enemy encounters (and in turn, love the visceral bliss I got from them). Now it's like no big deal.. ehh a couple enemies.. hold down R2 and spray all around and you're done. Controls would be somewhat good if R1 was shoot. Iron sight aiming feels like an afterthought and doesn't work very well. I play all my shooters with right stick to crouch, B to melee, and then the standard FPS layout to follow from there, so it's got that right, but it just doesn't seem comfortable here.

The presentation and style of the game are great. The graphics are alright.. good in come places and not so hot in others. I've had some pretty noticeable framerate drops, though. In fact, the framerate overall just doesn't seem comfortable.

Oh, and the blood is worse than Gears of War. Holy crap, it's like red, fluorescent, liquid neon.

I can't help but think of how much more I would have liked FEAR 2 had I not already played Killzone 2. I knew this was going to happen.

Cruzader

Banned
fps fanatic said:
Noooooo! There's no option to switch it in the menu? If not, that is really disappointing to me. :( Monolith used R1 to attack/shoot in Condemned 2. I would have thought they would have kept the same set-up. I really hope the final game has the option to switch it up. This is one of my most anticipated titles but that would bum me out... R2 to shoot...

I went to options to see if I could change them but I couldnt. It just showed you one configuration. And my comment about Snowblind means that the graphics are really dull looking when up-close. I dont want to shit on the game but man, it really reminds me of Snowblind since that game had really clean graphics but everything looked really "cheap". its hard to explain, go DL the demo and get upclose to things in the environment. Textures arent that hot or anything. But its fine since this is a really hectic shooter with horror in mind(dark places) so I guess you dont need really hi rez, great looking environments? And the lighting is really bad and alot of it is faked or whatever you call it. I think KZ2 spoiled me, seriously so ignore my rant. If you loved the 1st one, you'' love this one and If you like fast,action packed FPS games, this will be a great game for you.

RoboPlato

I'd be in the dick
Cruzader said:
Why do developers keep making R2 shoot for multiplatform games? I'm sure that someone in game development have used a dualshock at some point. I know some people prefer R2 but that's a large minority compared to the people that prefer R1.

Nizz

Cruzader said:
I went to options to see if I could change them but I couldnt. It just showed you one configuration. And my comment about Snowblind means that the graphics are really dull looking when up-close. I dont want to shit on the game but man, it really reminds me of Snowblind since that game had really clean graphics but everything looked really "cheap". its hard to explain, go DL the demo and get upclose to things in the environment. Textures arent that hot or anything. But its fine since this is a really hectic shooter with horror in mind(dark places) so I guess you dont need really hi rez, great looking environments? And the lighting is really bad and alot of it is faked or whatever you call it. I think KZ2 spoiled me, seriously so ignore my rant. If you loved the 1st one, you'' love this one and If you like fast,action packed FPS games, this will be a great game for you.
Believe me, I've been there. I was also in the K2 beta! :D But I was also looking forward to this title. When I had a 360, I had F.E.A.R and I loved it. I would have double-dipped on F.E.A.R. for PS3 if it would have turned out better, but since the port wasn't so hot, I skipped it. I'm just bummed about the R2 to shoot bit. Thanks for the impressions. ;)

Flunkie

Banned
Cruzader said:
Now that I think of it.. it really does feel a lot like Snowblind. Wow.

And no, if you loved the first one, there's a good chance that you won't love the second, actually.

dreamer3kx said:
DL speeds are normally only on the slower side on Thursday's, for PS Store updates. All other days are fine for me.

Downloading skate 2 now. Already downloaded Buzz PSP (fun game) and GTi Club (fun too, but not sure if I will buy).

Nizz

RoboPlato said:
Why do developers keep making R2 shoot for multiplatform games? I'm sure that someone in game development have used a dualshock at some point. I know some people prefer R2 but that's a large minority compared to the people that prefer R1.
I agree 100%. Would be nice to at least have an option. Like I've said more times than I can remember, using the triggers to shoot on a 360 pad is great, using that same set-up on the Dualshock 3 just does not work for me. You're right, there are people who enjoy using R2 to shoot with the Dualshock, but I'm not one of them. :(

Lain

Hm, I read that quoted blog post and so went to download the Disgaea 3 Theme, but couldn't find it... so went to the premium themes section and there it was. So I guess the mistake is on them listing it as free in that post. Too bad.

Cruzader

Banned
Flunkie said:
Now that I think of it.. it really does feel a lot like Snowblind. Wow.

And no, if you loved the first one, there's a good chance that you won't love the second, actually.

I think the color pallet and how the graphics were done reminds me of SnowBlind. I remember playing that game on PS2 and I was like..this game plays fast and no slowdowns but looks ok-ish. lol

That robot/mech part had some destructible environment stuff going on but if you look at the stuff that breaks, it looks like cardboard or something. That looks real meh to me. I dont know. You had to have played Snowblind to get what im saying and Funkie does too so im not crazy.

And I never played the 1st one so sorry for guessing that you or others that played Fear1 would like this one. Also the Iron sights arent really needed since this game feels a little too arcadey or something meaning you're better slowing down time and just shooting from the hip.

Remy

I've seen a couple of requests for Magic Ball impressions, so here's mine after about an hour with the game:

I like it. After playing so many breakout clones that are just blocks + powerups, actually hitting objects that aren't blocks seems quite fresh and different. But maybe I'm not playing enough breakout clones.

But yeah, it's Breakout with objects, and all the objects adhere to the physics engine, and once you've cleared enough items out of the level (not sure what constitutes "enough"), a Next Level powerup will appear and you carry on. A lot of the objects require multiple hits to break them apart, like the sharks or the kraken. There's also weapons you can interact with on the playfield (lots of cannons on the pirate levels).

There are a lot of powerups. Some are traditional (multi-ball, bigger/smaller paddle/ball, faster/slower ball, super ball, magnet), some are weaponry (I've seen lasers, machine guns, cannons, and a bazooka), some are passive environmental attacks (meteors, lightning), and a few are there just to screw with you (Crazy Ball makes the ball randomly drift around the screen for about 15 seconds, which is panic inducing). The favorite one I've seen so far has been what's essentially a hurricane, which applies some wind against the objects on the playfield - which is great if you have multi-part things to hit.

Scoring wise, there's a combo system but I haven't figured it out yet, bonus rounds (1-10 is the only one I've reached), online leaderboards, and a few pages of statistics.

Didn't have a chance to try the multiplayer yet, but there's co-op and competitive, and it does indicate that voice chat works - but given that the only menu items I saw for getting into games were "Create Game" and "Accept Invitation", I'm not clear on how you do random matchmaking. Might have to play with it more tomorrow.

Framerate is steady, graphics look surprisingly nice, and there's a good amount of polish. Tik has impressed me thus far with their attention to detail.

I'm pretty happy with it, all things considered. It's a solid casual-ish title, and it's doesn't feel like the usual brand of Breakout clones.

Recommended, unless you really just don't like Breakout.

Corran Horn

May the Schwartz be with you
I'm liking Magic Ball, very much like breakout but its items/people/creatures you hit instead of blocks. Now to get Peggle or similar type game on psn!

test_account

XP-39C²
Corran Horn said:
I'm liking Magic Ball, very much like breakout but its items/people/creatures you hit instead of blocks. Now to get Peggle or similar type game on psn!
Me too, i also like Magic Ball! :) I bought it earlier today and i have played through about something like 25 levels or so.

Not as many Fear Demo impressions as I hoped for in here.

Visually it look good, well detailed. Some aliasing is noticeable but not too bad. The grain filter stood out too much though.

Performance wise it ran very well at first and the creepy effects kicked in rather seamlessly. After the first few minutes the performance dives a bit. In the outdoors parts with more than 3 enemies on screen caused some heavy slowdown, from there on it just ran poorly. Especially in the end sequence.

Gameplay wise, I really liked it. It uses R2 to shoot (not a huge fan of that) but it felt good to play. Not a hassle. The blood looks pretty nice too. :D The AI seems good, they flip tables to take cover and whatnot. They do seem oblivious to an extent until a shot is fired though, and sometimes they went for cover even if it meant turning their backs and basically letting you kill them.

If the performance is fixed I would pick it up. Right now its a bit unpolished.

EDIT: About the atmosphere. I didn't find it scary. The visions/scenes never felt dangerous, not even sure if the illusions can hurt you at all. Once I noticed they didn't really do much the scary factor goes down the hole.

Flunkie said:
Oh, and the blood is worse than Gears of War. Holy crap, it's like red, fluorescent, liquid neon.

I thought it looked ok, yeah it was quite bright but it was plentiful. :D

And when you use the mech thing on someone its like they turn into just blood.

The Fear demo gave me mixed impressions also. The gunplay felt pretty good, but a little floaty; I kept getting hung up on objects. I hate how dark and blurry everything is; I think it could be a lot sharper and cleaner looking. Oh, yeah, R2 to shoot just does not feel right. The best part by far is the Mech scene; that was pretty badass, with some nice effects and gibs all over the place.

Baha

Remy said:
I've seen a couple of requests for Magic Ball impressions, so here's mine after about an hour with the game:

I like it. After playing so many breakout clones that are just blocks + powerups, actually hitting objects that aren't blocks seems quite fresh and different. But maybe I'm not playing enough breakout clones.

But yeah, it's Breakout with objects, and all the objects adhere to the physics engine, and once you've cleared enough items out of the level (not sure what constitutes "enough"), a Next Level powerup will appear and you carry on. A lot of the objects require multiple hits to break them apart, like the sharks or the kraken. There's also weapons you can interact with on the playfield (lots of cannons on the pirate levels).

There are a lot of powerups. Some are traditional (multi-ball, bigger/smaller paddle/ball, faster/slower ball, super ball, magnet), some are weaponry (I've seen lasers, machine guns, cannons, and a bazooka), some are passive environmental attacks (meteors, lightning), and a few are there just to screw with you (Crazy Ball makes the ball randomly drift around the screen for about 15 seconds, which is panic inducing). The favorite one I've seen so far has been what's essentially a hurricane, which applies some wind against the objects on the playfield - which is great if you have multi-part things to hit.

Scoring wise, there's a combo system but I haven't figured it out yet, bonus rounds (1-10 is the only one I've reached), online leaderboards, and a few pages of statistics.

Didn't have a chance to try the multiplayer yet, but there's co-op and competitive, and it does indicate that voice chat works - but given that the only menu items I saw for getting into games were "Create Game" and "Accept Invitation", I'm not clear on how you do random matchmaking. Might have to play with it more tomorrow.

Framerate is steady, graphics look surprisingly nice, and there's a good amount of polish. Tik has impressed me thus far with their attention to detail.

I'm pretty happy with it, all things considered. It's a solid casual-ish title, and it's doesn't feel like the usual brand of Breakout clones.

Recommended, unless you really just don't like Breakout.

Thank you, just bought it.

Top Bottom