• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Playstation Store 01/15/09

GrayFoxPL

Jim said:
It do. Never mentioned in the Press Releases for some reason.

Maybe because they are embarrassed that they only give you HALF of the trophies. The other half is for car pack that isn't even annouced yet. It's true.

DarkUSS said:
I haven't played the game myself but Speevy wanted me to warn you guys against GTi Club because it is lacking content. He specifically said that the game only features one level and no offline multiplayer at all.

Considering his huge PSN game collection, I'd listen to Speevy!:D

Theres one level, which takes the form of a large city map - depending on which difficulty you select, the course becomes larger and more short-cuts unlock. It might not seem like a lot of content, but this is pretty much the same content from the arcade game in a home port that fans have been waiting over a decade for, with the additional bonus of smoother graphics, unlockable car skins and kick-ass online mode (bomb tag is so ridiculousley fun). If you are looking for an enjoyable arcade racer with great online play, GTi Club is a good buy, but the lack of content might turn some people away, especially if you were deprived of experiencing GTi Club in the arcade.

*edit, some quick impressions of Magic Ball;

Magic Ball seems pretty good so far, it's like breakout except you have to destroy the items & landmasses on each level - it's got your usual breakout-clone style power-up's (larger paddle, multi-ball, speed-up) along with a few slightly more unique ones (meteorite, lighting, bazooka, chain-gun etc). The game seems quite forgiving (often I thought i'd missed the ball, only for it to hit the outermost point of the paddle) and unless things get too hectic there really isn't much challenge, although so far i've only played the first 12 or so levels.

Belgand

Solideliquid said:
Good lord I'd love to give sony my money for RE 2 but they keep FUCKING IT UP.

Not to mention Silent Hill. If they were smart they'd also see the popularity Persona 3 and 4 have been enjoying recently and bring back the early games. Even better if they manage to bring over Innocent Sin since it was never even properly released here. A Persona 2: Complete bundle would probably sell fairly well.

mollipen

Hate the price on UGNG. I mean, it's a fair price, but I already own it on UMD, and would love to just run a digital version instead. It's hard to justify $20 for that situation, though.

Really glad to see SCEA starting to release PSX games again. Can we please get Kings Field proper, and Kings Field 2 and 3 proper on the PSN!? And yes, Silent Hill -- It's astonishing how many more PSX games are on the JPN store...baffling...

Tempy

don't ask me for codes
What's the verdict on Cuboid and Mahjong Tales btw? Tempted to get those as well as Magic Ball.

bryehn

shidoshi said:
Hate the price on UGNG. I mean, it's a fair price, but I already own it on UMD, and would love to just run a digital version instead. It's hard to justify $20 for that situation, though.

Rip it to your MS? It's the first thing I do with every PSP game. Most games in my collection have only been in my system once.

Tempy said:
What's the verdict on Cuboid and Mahjong Tales btw? Tempted to get those as well as Magic Ball.

I really enjoyed Cuboid myself. It's a bit on the lean side, but they've promised some level packs.

Baha

MThanded said:
are there going to be any ps1 games on psn today?

No idea, so far they've all been unannounced. The only confirmation we ever get is an email pr a few hours before the store updates.

stawnkald

Baha said:
The [PA Ep2] patch fixes the bug but it doesn't fix corrupted saves so you'll have to make a new game if your save is corrupted.

Ugh, lame. I restarted and got almost back to where it glitched on me, hopefully that save is okay. It's bad enough I have to do that stupid fucking brain-arranging mini-game again.

Erebus

Tempy said:

The lack of demos is starting to pissing me off. How hard is to put up a trial version of each PSN game released from now on?

Tempy

don't ask me for codes
DarkUSS said:
The lack of demos is starting to pissing me off. How hard is to put up a trial version of each PSN game released from now on?

They really should make demos mandatory like XBLA. This also applies to WiiWare titles as well. Demos = good.

Looks like the reviews of Cuboid are good. IGN disliked Mahjong Tales mostly because of the interface.

AndyD

aka andydumi
DarkUSS said:

A small developer said he could only afford to make a PSN game because of the lack of restrictions. Forcing devs to make demos may mean less experimental games.

depward

DarkUSS said:

Take a page from the iPhone app store. iShoot, currently the most popular paid app, wasn't on ANYONE'S radar until they put up a free trial version.

It really is crippling their potential sales to not release a demo of any sort.

Erebus

AndyD said:
A small developer said he could only afford to make a PSN game because of the lack of restrictions. Forcing devs to make demos may mean less experimental games.

Again I don't see how the release of demo is so taxing for a small developer.

MThanded

I Was There! Official L Receiver 2/12/2016
AndyD said:

So you sell the game to people who do not know if they want it or not. Sales through obscurity is not the way to go. There are probably psn games I do not own today because I have not been able to try them out.

Maybe I misunderstood your reply. Less experimental games because the have to make a demo. As I understand that you are saying people may not like the game but they will be forced to buy it to play it. Thats not good business practice.

AndyD

aka andydumi
MThanded said:
So you sell the game to people who do not know if they want it or not. Sales through obscurity is not the way to go. There are probably psn games I do not own today because I have not been able to try them out.

Maybe I misunderstood your reply. Less experimental games because the have to make a demo. As I understand that you are saying people may not like the game but they will be forced to buy it to play it. Thats not good business practice.

Theres always videos and reviews.

I am not saying I dont like Demos, but developers have said they particularly like not having to do demos. For some games its not easy to do one I guess, and when they are developing on their own dime, cutting out some hours of work may be a godsend.

Plus demos have to have their own testing, certification...

So a small developer like Everyday Shooter's, who made the game in his garage by himself, will be very happy to know he has a place with as few requirements and fees as possible to publish (which is why the game is on PSN and Steam).

Same with Novastrike, the devs said they would have needed a lot of work into a demo, but they were working on the game as a side of their jobs, not full time, so it could have meant weeks, or months more time.

The Pixeljunk guys, who have cranked out some of the best PSN games, have said that demos are not easy to do, there is a whole lot more involved than pressing a button. Same with the guys who did Acrobatic Battle Cars. There is no magic "make a demo" button and some have said that the age old argument of "Add a timer" does not work so easy because if you make it 30 seconds, players don't "get" your game. Add if you make it 5 minutes, you have almost given away the whole game, as it may be designed to be played in short few minute bursts...

swoon

stawnkald said:
Ugh, lame. I restarted and got almost back to where it glitched on me, hopefully that save is okay. It's bad enough I have to do that stupid fucking brain-arranging mini-game again.

patch is up. i saved right before i entered the
world's fair
and it said my save game was corrupt (which i thought was a safe place to save, alas). i'll wait until someone confirms that it has been fixed before going through it again.

that brain mini game is the fucking worst thing ever.

also i didn't notice any major slowdown in skate 2 demo

Jim

DarkUSS said:
Again I don't see how the release of demo is so taxing for a small developer.

Demos require the whole back and forth submission and QA process seperately from a full game. Takes up man hours and part of the budget that could be spent on the game itself (as stated by AndyD above).

They could do XBLA-style game/demo packages, but it's up to each dev to do what they see fit.

Shard said:
Magic Ball and Ultimate Ghouls N' Ghosts have been confirmed for NA today.

Holy fucking shit!! I had no idea! Ghouls N' Ghosts was by far my favorite game until I played Quake and UO. I could beat the genesis version without continuing and by beat I mean l actually played through it twice for the real ending. Now all I need is an arcade version of Shinobi and a winner is me.

kuYuri

Harvey Hedonist said:
Holy fucking shit!! I had no idea! Ghouls N' Ghosts was by far my favorite game until I played Quake and UO. I could beat the genesis version without continuing and by beat I mean l actually played through it twice for the real ending. Now all I need is an arcade version of Shinobi and a winner is me.

Just to make sure that you're aware, it's Ultimate Ghost 'N Goblins, which was released on PSP.

PSP-UltimateGhostsnGoblins-USVersion-FrontCover.jpg

Jim

Strider2K99 said:
Just to make sure that you're aware, it's Ultimate Ghost 'N Goblins, which was released on PSP.

:lol, yeah.. I think a few people think it's either a PSN port of Super GnG or some surprise PSN game.

Oh also, GTI Club is going to be $9.99 in case you were wondering.

kuYuri

Jim said:
:lol, yeah.. I think a few people think it's either a PSN port of Super GnG or some surprise PSN game.

Haha, yeah. Alot of people on the PS Blog were confused cause they were asking John D if it had trophy support and all that. :lol

LiquidMetal14

hide your water-based mammals
Jim said:

8p online eh? Will buy. Anything else 100% confirmed for this week?

Mileena

Banned
"Low (Travis Barker Remix) [Feat. T-Pain]" - Flo Rida

is that a joke? wait seriously? Guitar Hero is hysterical with its DLC selection:lol

Wario64

works for Gamestop (lol)
Aginor said:
TOTALCUNTFUCKRAGESMASHSHITSTICKNUGGETFUCKIN

NO SFIIHD ON PAL STORES = FORGET PSN

Why not just buy it from the US store or something? Am I missing something?

Aru

Go buy UGNG everyone ! It's one of the best games of all times :D

If you can finish it with all the items in Ultimate difficulty, then I'll call you God.

Returners

corkscrewblow said:
"Low (Travis Barker Remix) [Feat. T-Pain]" - Flo Rida

is that a joke? wait seriously? Guitar Hero is hysterical with its DLC selection:lol

wow... going to youtube the guitar n drum tracks

Roxas

Word of warning to trophy whores who are going to buy GTI + Club later...you will feel utterly raped when you notice that over half of the trophies require you to buy some DLC :lol

LiquidMetal14

hide your water-based mammals
brandonh83 said:
I'm getting the impression that perhaps I should skip GTI :lol
It's actually a really fun arcadey racer. Reminds me of the old model 2 based racers. The look and feel is just right. I'm buying.

Baha

http://blog.us.playstation.com/2009/01/15/youtube-on-your-ps3in-full-screen/

Have you ever wanted to just sit on your couch and watch YouTube on your TV? Well, it’s now possible via YouTube for Television, available through your PLAYSTATION 3. Currently in beta, the TV Website provides a streamlined interface that enables you to discover, watch and share YouTube videos on any TV screen through your PS3.

Simply open up the Web browser on the PS3, and enter the following URL: www.youtube.com/tv (note: this link will not work from a PC or Mac, only from a PS3) and hit enter. Now you’re good to go! You’ll notice a new YouTube interface that allows you to watch videos in full-screen. With enlarged text and simplified navigation, it makes watching YouTube on your TV as easy and intuitive as possible. Here’s a helpful video that guides you through the process:

We’re working closely with the YouTube team to make a more PlayStation-centric version of the YouTube TV Website page accessible from the lefthand menu bar (the YouTube button currently takes you to our branded channel on YouTube). So stay tuned for that and in the meantime grab a cold one and sit back to enjoy your favorite videos on the big screen!

Happy watching,
Ginger Kraus

Video demonstration in link.

Roxas said:
Word of warning to trophy whores who are going to buy GTI + Club later...you will feel utterly raped when you notice that over half of the trophies require you to buy some DLC :lol

like PAIN, this better not be a trend.

Jim said:
Demos require the whole back and forth submission and QA process seperately from a full game. Takes up man hours and part of the budget that could be spent on the game itself (as stated by AndyD above).

They could do XBLA-style game/demo packages, but it's up to each dev to do what they see fit.
I can see the cost of a true demo, but one thing I think Sony should make mandatory is gameplay video for the "Preview" button on the store. Very few games use it at all, and some just put a promo video there, with text/CG/etc. Bad quality or not, I want to at least see the game before I shell out cash for it. This should apply to everything that costs money on the game Store (I guess themes could just have screenshots).

neight

Banned
Liabe Brave said:
I can see the cost of a true demo, but one thing I think Sony should make mandatory is gameplay video for the "Preview" button on the store. Very few games use it at all, and some just put a promo video there, with text/CG/etc. Bad quality or not, I want to at least see the game before I shell out cash for it. This should apply to everything that costs money on the game Store (I guess themes could just have screenshots).
yea the preview video is a stupidly underused feature.

kuYuri

I don't see why the preview feature is really that big a deal. Chances are, the game that you are checking a preview of already has a trailer online somewhere.

Top Bottom