• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Playstation TV Thread: Vita Who?

Chuy

Just double checking: I can swap memory cards between vita and pstv with effecting saves right?

I recently tried reworking the PSTV homescreen UI to bring its visual design more in line with the PS4, and to make it more suited for controller navigation on a large screen (rather than touch on a handheld).

It was mostly a design and programming exercise, but I also made it because I love the PSTV -- at least I love what it could/should be. I know Sony probably considered the whole console DOA upon its NA release (and I've been out of the game industry long enough that I don't have any contacts in the company, anyway), but I still thought I'd share the web prototype here:

http://hellogreg.github.io/pstv/
I need this badly. That is a incredible design to say the least.

I recently tried reworking the PSTV homescreen UI to bring its visual design more in line with the PS4, and to make it more suited for controller navigation on a large screen (rather than touch on a handheld).

It was mostly a design and programming exercise, but I also made it because I love the PSTV -- at least I love what it could/should be. I know Sony probably considered the whole console DOA upon its NA release (and I've been out of the game industry long enough that I don't have any contacts in the company, anyway), but I still thought I'd share the web prototype here:

Given the progress being made on the Vita SDK, maybe you'll be able to make it a reality.

Grimalkin

I've had lag issues with a DS4, none with a DS3.

I searched the thread but didn't find any resolution to this. Is there one?

If I use the DS3 with PSTV, it works fine.

If I use the DS4, it has terrible input lag. Especially with PS1 games. This is with a wired connection.

My PSTV should be getting delivered today from the Bestbuy sale. I've got plenty of ps+ games, but I am going to see if I can get into Persona4G. I'm usually not into party based jrpgs, but the games praise is such that it deserves a look. Any tips would be appreciated.
For your first playthrough, just do what you want each day. Don't worry about maxing everything. It is more enjoyable that way. Also, it takes a while to get going. Don't be put off by the first 2 hours. Be sure to have several save files in the later months.

flyover

Given the progress being made on the Vita SDK, maybe you'll be able to make it a reality.

That's cool! I hadn't heard anything about that Open Vita SDK project until you mentioned it.
Yep, that's pretty much flawless. It's unfortunate that they've abandoned the Vita as a whole. :|
I need this badly. That is a incredible design to say the least.

Thanks so much. Very nice of you both! I wish the PSTV had a chance to become what it should be.

I know Sony's cutting their losses with the device, but it would be great if they would just invest in one person (yes, I'd volunteer myself) to champion the console and design/develop updates for it. Rework the interface's design language. Get rid of the whitelist. Dump the Featured tab (and startup tabs, in general). Make it the best way to play properly-upscaled original PlayStation games.

Let it be a cult console and see if it develops popularity over time (like Apple's "hobby": Apple TV), or use it to test out potential features on future consoles.

Shizuka

I searched the thread but didn't find any resolution to this. Is there one?

If I use the DS3 with PSTV, it works fine.

If I use the DS4, it has terrible input lag. Especially with PS1 games. This is with a wired connection.

No, I just started using a DS3 instead.

Swamped

Banned
I bought the PSTV recently, but haven't had a chance to open it yet. So, do people highly recommend the DS3 with this, or is the DS4 ok? I will probably be playing vita games primarily.

ZeroX03

Banned
I bought a PlayStation TV to play around with from Amazon's sale. It hasn't arrived yet, but when it does what sort of homebrew options do I have?

I bought a PlayStation TV to play around with from Amazon's sale. It hasn't arrived yet, but when it does what sort of homebrew options do I have?
Huh, that's super worrying, because I got mine from that sale months ago.

But when you do get it, assuming you've got a PS3, you've got the best homebrew options, because you can access the Package Installer. I don't know if you can get the Vita Dev Assistant app on it, since that's going to be crucial to whatever exploit/homebrew stuff Yifan Lu has thought up.

ZeroX03

Banned
Huh, that's super worrying, because I got mine from that sale months ago.

But when you do get it, assuming you've got a PS3, you've got the best homebrew options, because you can access the Package Installer. I don't know if you can get the Vita Dev Assistant app on it, since that's going to be crucial to whatever exploit/homebrew stuff Yifan Lu has thought up.

It's only been a week since I ordered mine. It's the $40 price match. I'm not in a rush to get it or anything. And yeah I've got a PS3.

It's only been a week since I ordered mine. It's the $40 price match. I'm not in a rush to get it or anything. And yeah I've got a PS3.
Oh, my bad, I thought you were talking about the actual Amazon sale a few months ago where they were selling PS TVs around that price.

Heads up. Went to a couple different Gamestops and noticed the base model is 39.99 at both. I price matched best buy at target and got mine a few days ago by they have plenty in Stock around the bay area.

That looks amazing, nice work!

BouncyFrag

So the Dracula X Chronicles isn't compatible with the NA Pstv? From what I've found out this is the case and I want want to confirm it. Any chance Sony will update the whitelist of games that the Pstv can play?

flyover

Any chance Sony will update the whitelist of games that the Pstv can play?

I wish they would. Honestly, I wish they'd nix it altogether, but there must be licensing reasons -- for third-party titles, anyway. Would be cool if they had a "play at your own risk" warning for non-whitelisted first-party stuff, though.

BTW, the people who run vitareviews.net and vitaplayer.co.uk have done a nice job keeping up with compatible title lists for the US and Europe (including games that can be installed via PS3 transfer).

That looks amazing, nice work!

Thanks so much!

BouncyFrag

For your first playthrough, just do what you want each day. Don't worry about maxing everything. It is more enjoyable that way. Also, it takes a while to get going. Don't be put off by the first 2 hours. Be sure to have several save files in the later months.
Thanks. I just started and I'm already on Mr. Morookas 'shit list.' I think I'm gonna like this game.

I think this is been asked on the thread, but I'm trying to figure out what to do for my own situation. I'm importing a hard copy of Dancing All Night, and I'd love to get the free DLC. My PSTV is set to my American account, and I've got a 32GB memory card with all my U.S. account stuff.

Can I remove the memory card and reformat my internal memory, and then link the internal memory to my JP PSN account to get that DLC? Is there any other method I can use?

Thanks!

Solobbos

So, I just found out Playstation TV's are sold for 29,90 euros here. I only have a PS4 and I have no need for the remote play, but I would like to get to play some PSN games with PS TV. Is PSTV worth it at that price?

E: I live in Scandinavia.

Shizuka

So, I just found out Playstation TV's are sold for 29,90 euros here. I only have a PS4 and I have no need for the remote play, but I would like to get to play some PSN games with PS TV. Is PSTV worth it at that price?

E: I live in Scandinavia.

If by PSN games, you know that it'll only run Vita PSN games, I'd have to ask which games. It's cheap if it's going for 30 euros, but it'd be nice to know how many games you want to play and which ones.

Solobbos

If by PSN games, you know that it'll only run Vita PSN games, I'd have to ask which games. It's cheap if it's going for 30 euros, but it'd be nice to know how many games you want to play and which ones.

Oh, I was hoping for some PS1 games especially, PaRappa the Rapper, UmJammer Lammy, Resident Evils 2 & 3 etc. So, it only plays Vita games? Not sure I have enough there to keep me interested.

ascii42

Oh, I was hoping for some PS1 games especially, PaRappa the Rapper, UmJammer Lammy, Resident Evils 2 & 3 etc. So, it only plays Vita games? Not sure I have enough there to keep me interested.

It plays most PSone and PSP games as well, just not PS3 stuff.

Shizuka

Oh, by PSN, I thought you implied it'd run PS4 games. The Vita TV will play most Vita, PSP and PSOne games. Not all of them are compatible, though.

8byte

Banned
Will the PSTV work over the Internet?

Basically if I buy it , can I hook it up at the girlfriends house and play my PS4?

My Vita screen cracked, just want to check, are there any PSP/PS1 games that don't work on this thing?

I plan on replacing the Vita at some point, but I'm going to get one of these as a stop-gap for now.

I wish I didn't buy Zero Escape VLR for Vita to use on PSTV. It almost seems unplayable on the Dualshock 4. Clunky and unintuitive. Oh well, it's pretty cheap on 3DS Eshop so I will go that route when I get around to it.

My Vita screen cracked, just want to check, are there any PSP/PS1 games that don't work on this thing?

I plan on replacing the Vita at some point, but I'm going to get one of these as a stop-gap for now.
There are a lot of them that don't work - better to look up to see if the games you have or want to play work on it

I wish I hadn't read about the messed up aspect ratio and forced filtering on PS1 games. It won't drive me nuts, and its definitely worth using the Vita TV as my PS1 device over the input lag on the PS3, but that's such a weird quirk. I tossed a tweet out at least. Here's hoping they do something about it one of these days.

Of course screenshots taken on here are done in the correct ratio. That's just icing on the cake.

Kudo

Got this bad boy yesterday and I have to say my initial impressions are very positive.
Cheap price point and amazing features, hopefully upcoming games support it too.

The input lag on Dualshock 4 with PSTV, is this with PS1/PSP games only or does it affect Vita games too?
I really prefer DS4 when it comes to controllers and last night when I tried Senran Kagura I didn't really notice it, has anyone measured the input lag or is it tied to the game you're playing?

I have never experienced input lag using my DS4, at least that I could tell. Still, most of the time I prefer to use the DS3 to lessen the wear & tear on my controllers.

How is Street Fighter Alpha 3 MAX? I've seen that its compatible but it doesn't come up for search. Only the PS1 version of Alpha 3. Is MAX worth the purchase if you have the regular version?

eastx

How is Street Fighter Alpha 3 MAX? I've seen that its compatible but it doesn't come up for search. Only the PS1 version of Alpha 3. Is MAX worth the purchase if you have the regular version?

It's great on PS TV, and it's worth it for the extra characters that were added to Max.

Baust

So I've decided to pickup a PSTV to use as my go to for import games.

I've got a question though: Are the PC Engine classics compatible with the PSTV? Was thinking about grabbing some of those.

jtm33

Neo Member
Quick question. I know the European version of Danganronpa will not work, but will a US version work on my Australian vita TV? I use a US account if that matters.

Quick question. I know the European version of Danganronpa will not work, but will a US version work on my Australian vita TV? I use a US account if that matters.
I have an EU PSTV and US Danganronpa works fine on it. I think I read somewhere that your account's region doesn't matter unless you want to buy DLC (I use an EU account).

sensui-tomo

yes, any US/NA version of Dangan Ronpa will work on any vita/ps tv (even european accounts, just the EU/PAL copy of the game/cart/digital doesnt work)

Pachimari

Just bought this bad boy on sale!
Dunno what I'm gonna use it for. Maybe to play Persona 4 Golden on the big screen.

Or maybe to bring it to other places and remote play PS4 games.

Planet

Only if they completeley ignore the touch pad, as there is no workaround at all to use it with the DS3. :|

Also: deactivate HDCP on the PS4, as this lowers the latency for PS TV Remote Play a lot. Don't ask me how, but it does. Something must be terribly screwed up, though luckily the workaround is acceptable - got a Fire TV Stick for streaming services anyway, so I don't even need to switch HDCP on and off.

Pachimari

Only if they completeley ignore the touch pad, as there is no workaround at all to use it with the DS3. :|

Also: deactivate HDCP on the PS4, as this lowers the latency for PS TV Remote Play a lot. Don't ask me how, but it does. Something must be terribly screwed up, though luckily the workaround is acceptable - got a Fire TV Stick for streaming services anyway, so I don't even need to switch HDCP on and off.

Where can HDCP be switched off?

Pachimari

PS4 settings and then display? It's not that hard to miss

Alright, I will check it out. Thank you.

I'm going somewhere far away, and would like to test out the Vita TV and streaming from PS4. Just bought the Vita TV as well.
But I take it, that it can only stream digital games, and not retail Bluray titles?

Planet

You can only stream games, not a single video app, no Blu-ray, no DVD. And if you want to use any of the latter on your TV, you need to reactivate HDCP first.

But the setting is easy to find - in the system menu, not the display, a bit strangely. Will force close any running app, though.

Top Bottom