• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Playstation TV Thread: Vita Who?

FireCloud

Picked up a PStv from the Gamestop sale but haven't had a chance to use it yet.

I'd like to connect it to my DVI-D only PC monitor. I've already got an HDMI to DVI cable so I think I'm good as far as video goes but I needed to figure out what I was going to do about audio.

I purchased the following HDMI to HDMI audio extractor from Amazon.
LGEjsw2.jpg

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00G9FDJNA/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o00_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Does anyone have any experience using one of these with the PStv?

If not, I'll post my results when mine comes in.

I'd like to connect it to my DVI-D only PC monitor. I've already got an HDMI to DVI cable so I think I'm good as far as video goes but I needed to figure out what I was going to do about audio.

You're going to be hooking it up to a splitter/switch as well?

FireCloud

You're going to be hooking it up to a splitter/switch as well?

Not initially. I don't have an HDMI switch (yet). I was just going to move the HDMI-DVI cable from my PC to the converter attached to the PSTV.

I imagine if I did use an HDMI switch, I'd have to use the audio extractor between the PSTV and the switch not after the switch. That's just a guess, I don't know for sure.

Edit: I saw a YouTube video with someone using the audio extractor with their Roku. Going straight from the Roku to the audio extractor provided the extractor with enough power over HDMI that external power was not required. I thought I heard that may not be the case on the other side of a switch. If I used the audio extractor on the output side of the switch, I'd probably have to power the audio extractor. Since the PSTV is the only thing I need to obtain analog audio for, I'd probably be fine using the extractor in the input side of a switch if I get one in the future. (Of couse, this assumes that this thing works with the PSTV)

Not initially. I don't have an HDMI switch (yet). I was just going to move the HDMI-DVI cable from my PC to the converter attached to the PSTV.

I imagine if I did use an HDMI switch, I'd have to use the audio extractor between the PSTV and the switch not after the switch. That's just a guess, I don't know for sure.

Edit: I saw a YouTube video with someone using the audio extractor with their Roku. Going straight from the Roku to the audio extractor provided the extractor with enough power over HDMI that external power was not required. I thought I heard that may not be the case on the other side of a switch. If I used the audio extractor on the output side of the switch, I'd probably have to power the audio extractor. Since the PSTV is the only thing I need to obtain analog audio for, I'd probably be fine using the extractor in the input side of a switch if I get one in the future. (Of couse, this assumes that this thing works with the PSTV)

Yup, it would be easier having the extractor with a switch.
There's actually a review stating that it works with the "Vita TV" - See all reviews and you can search by keyword.With HDMI you're going to either get a signal or you won't so the stuff inbetween doesn't normally degrade the quality which is nice.Mine plays fine with a switch . I didn't know these were a thing, was using a composite cable to get audio with a similar setup when the ps3 launched. Let me know how you get on :O.

eastx

I've been playing Earth Defense Forces 2 Portable V2, the latest EDF game to arrive on Vita in Japan. It's the prequel to EDF 2017, newly remastered, and adds a third character class (the Air Raider) among other things.

Here's videos of my friends and me playing through the first 22 missions of the game (recorded via PS TV). I'm loving the active online multiplayer community.

Part 1:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=D5HGrNzzN_k

Part 2:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mSjebYtO50E

And note the game is hella cheap at Play-Asia right now, so definitely a great time to import. I'm working on a full menu translation and game guide, so don't let the Japanese scare you.

More discussion in the EDF2V2 thread: http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showthread.php?t=878618

deusfaux

Neo Member
I recently picked up a lagless display and it's sharper than the original set I hooked my PSTV up to. Yep, it appears that bilinear filtering is on. The aspect ratio is also off (I mentioned this before). It's unfortunate as I doubt we will ever see any kind of
official
firmware update that enables the display options available for PSOne classics on the Vita.

This is a subject I am often concerned with as well, what would you say is off about it? I noted actually that compared to the PS3, there seems to be a very slight amount MORE image on the top and bottom - which made me wonder if I have my PS3 setup incorrectly or that it's always imperfect regardless.

I'll try and load up a game with a static perfect circle and see if it's as wide as it is tall. Anybody know of one?

This is a subject I am often concerned with as well, what would you say is off about it? I noted actually that compared to the PS3, there seems to be a very slight amount MORE image on the top and bottom - which made me wonder if I have my PS3 setup incorrectly or that it's always imperfect regardless.

I'll try and load up a game with a static perfect circle and see if it's as wide as it is tall. Anybody know of one?
Strider 2, right when you enter stage selection. The earth is a perfect circle in the proper ratio. On PSTV it is a tall oval.

PSOne classics on PSTV are locked in what the Vita PSOne emulator refers to as the "Normal" size and ratio. The proper ratio is the "Original" setting.

GravyButt

Two quick questions on the pstv I have hooked up via ethernet.

I was playing mlb the show 15 and it said lost connection to the show online. But I can get on pstore fine. Thats ok I wouldnt play online anyways remote play, but how would I upload any saves since im using remote play?

Also, I went back to the ps4 home screen via pstv and held down the power button on the dualshock 4 controller and hit standby, but it didnt put the ps4 in standby.

Sorry evidently im dumb.

Let me know if you got this working

I have an audio set up where I dont have a receiver, but I've got my devices connected directly to my soundbar,(so no hdmi passthrough for the tv) and I need something exactly like this to get the PSTV connected to it as well

fvng

I returned my VitaTV

Why?

- It convinced me to get a regular Vita, I like the platform.

- There's a solid library despite complaints, the upcoming Vita games thread is actually pretty exciting

- the interface makes more sense on a mobile platform. It's kinda lazy that they didn't tweak this for TV viewing.

- that white list started to annoy me

- lack of VOD apps. Why? Vita's sales are comparable to Xbone and WiiU.

- managed to get a white vita off eBay OLED version.

That said, I plan to get a PStv in the future. The Remote Play via Ethernet is a huge plus. I might grab the $99 bundle off Amazon.

Edzi

I returned my VitaTV

Why?

- It convinced me to get a regular Vita, I like the platform.

- There's a solid library despite complaints, the upcoming Vita games thread is actually pretty exciting

- the interface makes more sense on a mobile platform. It's kinda lazy that they didn't tweak this for TV viewing.

- that white list started to annoy me

- lack of VOD apps. Why? Vita's sales are comparable to Xbone and WiiU.

- managed to get a white vita off eBay OLED version.

That said, I plan to get a PStv in the future. The Remote Play via Ethernet is a huge plus. I might grab the $99 bundle off Amazon.

I was also convinced to upgrade to a Vita after buying the PSTV, though I'm waiting until after e3 on the super slim chance that they announce a newer model or price drop. I decided to keep my PSTV to keep the possibility of remote play with my ps4 open (though I'm really annoyed they never made any effort to put Netflix or Amazon Video on it).

I bought mine off Amazon for $49. Gamestop is out so... I plan to get a Vita eventually but im also waiting for like the PS Vita 3000. To see if they go back to Oled screen with (hopefully) improvements. 5GB internal memory or etc. Also want to do the same with a Wii U. I heard they had an updated version of the gamepad in the works but could be just a rumor. Would be nice though.

ArmageddB

I have the PSTV hooked up to my DVI monitor also and I use a Bluetooth speaker for audio. Got one for $20 on sale.

When that happens the VitaTV will be the most badass little device
True, but we PS TV owners are fucked if it depends on the PSM hack. Since there's no way to connect the PS TV to a PC and transfer a PSM demo, the only PS TV owners who can do it are ones with a Vita (barring someone coming up with a gadget to plug Vita memory cards into a PC).

animax

True, but we PS TV owners are fucked if it depends on the PSM hack. Since there's no way to connect the PS TV to a PC and transfer a PSM demo, the only PS TV owners who can do it are ones with a Vita (barring someone coming up with a gadget to plug Vita memory cards into a PC).

The whitelist has been bypassed by certain hackers, and not using a PSM method (as far as we know). No idea if it'll be released though

The whitelist has been bypassed by certain hackers, and not using a PSM method (as far as we know). No idea if it'll be released though
I was referring to jailbreaking the PS TV, but I'd settle for the whitelist, since it would at least let us play newer physical games (since anything digital is a no-go unless there's a copyright exemption for console jailbreaking preventing Sony from screwing over people who do jailbreak).

I'm trying to spread this around and also get more feedback on it, but after recently acquiring a PSTV and PSVita, I've noticed the former does a seemingly poor job of displaying
PS1 and possibly PSP games as well.

My suspicion is that bilinear filtering is enabled by default, and that's what's causing the issue - significant blurring compared to the output of PS1 via PS3 and PSP video out.

This would be supported by the fact that my PSVita has filtering enabled by default when I tested out some PS1 titles last night - and it made them look blurry.

I have to do more PSP testing to confirm if the same issue persists there, but on first glance, the games looked worse on the PSTV than other platforms. Vita games looked good, for the record.

If this is all for the reasons I suspect, then I think we need to raise our voices and get Sony to restore the relevant missing PS1/PSP game setting functionality back into the PSTV firmware that was removed as compared to the PSVita.

Filtering should be an *option* or just disabled. Scaling mode choices would be nice. Etc.

As it stands, these games look bad and they needn't be.

FYI what bilinear filtering does and why you shouldn't be using it if you want the correct look and appreciate the original art: http://blog.kertgartner.com/wp-content/uploads/2012/02/Filtering.png

lastly another link of a PSTV compat list that is pretty up to date: http://vitareviews.net/playstation-tv-compatible-games-north-america/#more-1885

I recently picked up a lagless display and it's sharper than the original set I hooked my PSTV up to. Yep, it appears that bilinear filtering is on. The aspect ratio is also off (I mentioned this before). It's unfortunate as I doubt we will ever see any kind of
official
firmware update that enables the display options available for PSOne classics on the Vita.

Damn. Almost wish I never read those posts. I booted up a PSOne Classic on my PSTV after reading them and now I cannot unsee the bilinear filtering blurriness and bad aspect ratio.

And I bought a PSTV to play PSOne Classics, too.

I was wondering why Resident Evil 2 looked so much better on my Gamecube. Now I know.

(fuck you Sony)

Damn. Almost wish I never read those posts. I booted up a PSOne Classic on my PSTV after reading them and now I cannot unsee the bilinear filtering blurriness and bad aspect ratio.

And I bought a PSTV to play PSOne Classics, too.

I was wondering why Resident Evil 2 looked so much better on my Gamecube. Now I know.

(fuck you Sony)

Yeah, it's pretty ugly, but they still play better than on PS3. So I guess that's a thing.

I posted something on the PlayStation twitter, asking about a firmware update that adds all display options present on the Vita. I suggest everyone else do the same. Squeaky wheel and all that.

eastx

Yeah, it's pretty ugly, but they still play better than on PS3. So I guess that's a thing.

I posted something on the PlayStation twitter, asking about a firmware update that adds all display options present on the Vita. I suggest everyone else do the same. Squeaky wheel and all that.

Link us to the tweet and we can make with the retweets. :)

What are the issues with the PS3? Never got a chance to try it myself before my PS3 bit the dust.

General inconsistencies in emulation between downloaded PSOne Classics and actual game discs.

The biggest issue is the built in few frames of input lag. This is in addition to any input lag your display may introduce.

Hey guys,

I can grab the PlayStation TV for around 20 Bucks. So here is one question:

Is remote play working like the Vita remote play? I want to play remotely on my PS4 when I'm at my parents house. Does this work?

CREMSteve

Hey guys,

I can grab the PlayStation TV for around 20 Bucks. So here is one question:

Is remote play working like the Vita remote play? I want to play remotely on my PS4 when I'm at my parents house. Does this work?
Works better than the vita, because you can connect wired. Here's a vid I made showing how it works from a hotel I was staying at.
Edit - this was via wifi and before they added the HQ streaming option, so it's even better now. Just needs a decent internet connection.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ffL4sCkIwrc

I like my PSTV so far but ugh is the interface terrible. Always starts on the stupid Featured tab, half the shit in the PS Store doesn't show up unless you search for it, a bunch of the stuff featured in the PS Store requires touch, etc. I'm also pissed because there's no way to use the launch DLC that came with my Asian copy of Oreshika since you can't have another account's data on the system unless that particular account is tied to it, and I can't just buy the US DLC since it won't work with the Asian cart. Super, super dumb considering that multiple PSN accounts has been a Sony staple for almost a decade now.

I'm kind of bewildered there's no emulation options for PS1 games like on the normal Vita. I really can't think of a reason for this, considering it's the same hardware. If I have to be locked into one aspect ratio I appreciate that it's the "true" one and not stretched in any way, but at the same time it looks like bilinear filtering is turned on by default

I'm kind of bewildered there's no emulation options for PS1 games like on the normal Vita. I really can't think of a reason for this, considering it's the same hardware. If I have to be locked into one aspect ratio I appreciate that it's the "true" one and not stretched in any way, but at the same time it looks like bilinear filtering is turned on by default

But it isn't. The picture is taller than it should be, making it slightly squished.

Edit: I guess I'll repost this now that we are on another page: https://twitter.com/exitplanetdesk/status/602316743432806400

Maybe if enough people start talking about it, Sony will push a firmware update and unlock the other display options.

But it isn't. The picture is taller than it should be, making it slightly squished.

Edit: I guess I'll repost this now that we are on another page: https://twitter.com/exitplanetdesk/status/602316743432806400

Maybe if enough people start talking about it, Sony will push a firmware update and unlock the other display options.

What is the output of the PSX? Are we seeing a "correct" output here but are just used to it slightly stretched on 4:3 screens? Are there any games with a large circle somewhere that we can test to see if it is truly stretched or squished at all?

What is the output of the PSX? Are we seeing a "correct" output here but are just used to it slightly stretched on 4:3 screens? Are there any games with a large circle somewhere that we can test to see if it is truly stretched or squished at all?

The stage select screen in Strider 2 begins with an image of the Earth. It is a circle in the proper ratio (Original Setting on Vita), but it is a slight oval, taller vertically on the PSTV (Normal Setting on the Vita).

Wolf Fang has a similar issue with the Moon in the intro.

I have tried screen capturing these scenes, but Strider 2 does not allow screen captures and all screen captures from Wolf Fang appear in the Original Setting ratio.

Top Bottom