• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Playstation TV Thread: Vita Who?

I'm sure this has been asked and answered before but 88 pages is too many to go through so if someone would be kind enough, thank you.

Can you watch Netflix on PSTV via Browser?

I know it doesn't have a dedicated app, not even sure if it has a browser. Just curious.

Uhyve

I'm sure this has been asked and answered before but 88 pages is too many to go through so if someone would be kind enough, thank you.

I know it doesn't have a dedicated app, not even sure if it has a browser. Just curious.
I'm interested in this also.

Though I've got the feeling that it wouldn't work because Netflix in a browser (on PC at least) uses Silverlight (for some reason).

I'm interested in this also.

Though I've got the feeling that it wouldn't work because Netflix in a browser (on PC at least) uses Silverlight (for some reason).
I think a lot of companies use Silverlight because of the way it breaks streams into discreet packets of info, making it harder for people to rip the stream or open it in a different program like VLC.

Hikami

Tried it a few weeks ago and it didn't work. Doubt that's changed

hongcha

I bought a US PSTV for 40$ because I want to play Chaos Rings Trilogy even though it's the japanese version. I don't think it'll come to NA and it's "supposed" to have english subs.

If I sign in with a japanese PSN account, will it work? (I guess so but I don't know for sure...)

The Japanese version of "Chaos Rings III: Prequel Trilogy" has no English subs (I own this version). From what I have read, you need the Asian version, and an Asian PSN account, to get English subs for the first three games, but CRIII is still only in Japanese.

CRIII is a great game btw, but I think CRII is still the best of the series.

MetalDeer

This is a weird one: I lost my ac adapter. Any good ideas on how to get a new one?

I swear I saw someone in here say that the PSP AC adapter works with the PSTV, so you could try getting on of those.

Edit: Just make sure it's the same voltage (5V) and at least 2 amps.

Edit edit: Or, I guess you could try contacting Sony about getting a replacement, which might be a safer bet.

I swear I saw someone in here say that the PSP AC adapter works with the PSTV, so you could try getting on of those.

Edit: Just make sure it's the same voltage (5V) and at least 2 amps.

Edit edit: Or, I guess you could try contacting Sony about getting a replacement, which might be a safer bet.

It looks like a PSP adapter might work. My local Walmart has one for $2. Gonna walk down and grab one to try. Thanks!

Bought it for 40 on Amazon, and I regret it. I can't get Remote Play to work reliably at all. I have my PS4 connect via ethernet to my router using a power line adapter (because this is faster than the wifi) and I added a second router to extend my network out to the front half of the house to try and get a better connection for the Playstation TV. And, it will connect, but not well enough to play anything. I've disabled the wifi power saving mode on the PTV, and I've tried both direct and internet connections for Remote Play, and despite the large distance between the two (and through several walls) the direct connection works better. So, I don't know what to do. I get a solid signal on any other wifi device in the front half of the house where the PTV is located, but I get 1 bar that rarely alternates to two bars, on the PTV. Is the Wifi antenna in it just that bad?

Maybe I'll play a couple of Vita games on it that I've yet to complete, but I was really hoping to use this for Remote Play.

Question: Can I alternate and swap a vita memory card between a vita and the TV? I have a 32GB in my Vita and a 4GB in the TV, and I'd rather just use the 32GB card between them to have all my games and saves in one location.

Shizuka

Question: Can I alternate and swap a vita memory card between a vita and the TV? I have a 32GB in my Vita and a 4GB in the TV, and I'd rather just use the 32GB card between them to have all my games and saves in one location.

Yes, you can, but I think you'll get those introductions everytime you boot the system when you change it.

Rutti

I just bought Freedom Wars and Soul Sacrifice Delta from NA psn sale. I suppose I can't download them and play them with my EU account (my main account), right?

NeOak

I have my PS4 connect via ethernet to my router using a power line adapter (because this is faster than the wifi) and I added a second router to extend my network out to the front half of the house to try and get a better connection for the Playstation TV

Your network configuration sucks. You should have added a switch or a Wi-Fi extender. Not a second router that is going to provoke NAT issues.

NeOak

Because I'd have to buy a second powerline adapter since the other one is used to connect the PS4?

Up to you, but that would be the solution to your Wi-Fi misadventures.

If there is other stuff where the PSTV is, you can hook up the powerline to a switch and have everything using the powerline. I run 4 consoles and 2 PCs to one powerline like that.

Then why not use a powerline for the PSTV?

The Vita's Wi-Fi is goddamn awful.

Up to you, but that would be the solution to your Wi-Fi misadventures.

If there is other stuff where the PSTV is, you can hook up the powerline to a switch and have everything using the powerline. I run 4 consoles and 2 PCs to one powerline like that.

There's other stuff where the PSTV is, and they all run fine on the Wifi, because they don't have a shitty WIFI antenna in them as you added to your powerline post about how crappy the Vita's Wifi is.

Buying another powerline adapter for just the PSTV is going to add another 60 bucks on this purchase, and I have no guarantee that it will solve my problems. It sucks that the antenna they include is such garbage that it gets 35% less signal than that Apple TV it sits next to, along with the iPhone and iPad that get regularly used in the same room. Supposedly I can do Playstation Now just fine, according to the app, but I don't trust it. I'll just use this for the few remaining Vita games I own that happen to be compatible and write this junk off as a loss.

And, I'm not arguing about it. If it works for you, great! Yippie! But, in my setup, the antenna is so far behind everything else that I own that it's a joke. I get a connection, but barely. It's a disappointment for me. Short of spending more than twice I paid for the PSTV, there's nothing I can do it get this to work how I wanted.

Buyer beware, even at 40 bucks. Unless maybe you live in a small house or an apartment. I don't know.

NeOak

There's other stuff where the PSTV is, and they all run fine on the Wifi, because they don't have a shitty WIFI antenna in them as you added to your powerline post about how crappy the Vita's Wifi is.

Buying another powerline adapter for just the PSTV is going to add another 60 bucks on this purchase, and I have no guarantee that it will solve my problems. It sucks that the antenna they include is such garbage that it gets 35% less signal than that Apple TV it sits next to, along with the iPhone and iPad that get regularly used in the same room. Supposedly I can do Playstation Now just fine, according to the app, but I don't trust it. I'll just use this for the few remaining Vita games I own that happen to be compatible and write this junk off as a loss.

And, I'm not arguing about it. If it works for you, great! Yippie! But, in my setup, the antenna is so far behind everything else that I own that it's a joke. I get a connection, but barely. It's a disappointment for me. Short of spending more than twice I paid for the PSTV, there's nothing I can do it get this to work how I wanted.

Buyer beware, even at 40 bucks. Unless maybe you live in a small house or an apartment. I don't know.

That's unfortunate man. But yeah, Vita Wi-Fi performance is abysmal compared to anything else.

It works perfectly fine over Ethernet though.

GravyButt

So its still sitting unopened and debating if I should open it or return it. Im using it in the bedroom for remote play and hooking it up via ethernet. Just wondering how it plays for single player games (anything online id do on the ps4) like bloodborne, the witcher 3, wwe 2k15, and mlb the show 15.

Also hooked via ethernet what settings do I need to adjust on the ps4 and pstv if I do decide to keep it? Thanks!!

NeOak

So its still sitting unopened and debating if I should open it or return it. Im using it in the bedroom for remote play and hooking it up via ethernet. Just wondering how it plays for single player games (anything online id do on the ps4) like bloodborne, the witcher 3, wwe 2k15, and mlb the show 15.

Also hooked via ethernet what settings do I need to adjust on the ps4 and pstv if I do decide to keep it? Thanks!!

It works fine for both offline and online games. You can remote play any online games like that. since ethernet has bandwidth to spare.

They will find each other in the same network and it will work fine. What you can do is enable 60fps remote play on the PSTV

Vita > PS4 Link app > bubble in the lower-right corner > settings > video quality

When you switch to 60fps, DVR will not work in those game sessions.

GravyButt

Dumb question. I have an ethernet cord running to my tv in the bedroom from the router hooked up to a streaming device. I have no more available ethernet ports. Is there something i can buy so thats almost like a coax splitter? Like the ethernet plugs into it, then your able to run two ethernets from that? One to the streaming device and one to the pstv? Obviously they would never be used at the same time. Hopefully there is so I dont need to buy another 100ft and run it and make one of my consoles wireless or constantly have to unplug the ethernets

Ps I have an old wireless router but not sure if that would work or how to set it up.

eastx

Dumb question. I have an ethernet cord running to my tv in the bedroom from the router hooked up to a streaming device. I have no more available ethernet ports. Is there something i can buy so thats almost like a coax splitter? Like the ethernet plugs into it, then your able to run two ethernets from that? One to the streaming device and one to the pstv? Obviously they would never be used at the same time. Hopefully there is so I dont need to buy another 100ft and run it and make one of my consoles wireless or constantly have to unplug the ethernets

Ps I have an old wireless router but not sure if that would work or how to set it up.

You need an ethernet switch. They start at $9 and go up from there at Amazon.

http://www.amazon.com/s/ref=nb_sb_noss?url=search-alias=aps&field-keywords=ethernet+switch

deusfaux

Neo Member
What do you guys think about this on the previous page? (I got no comments and need other people's experiences of the issue):

I'm trying to spread this around and also get more feedback on it, but after recently acquiring a PSTV and PSVita, I've noticed the former does a seemingly poor job of displaying PS1 and possibly PSP games as well.

My suspicion is that bilinear filtering is enabled by default, and that's what's causing the issue - significant blurring compared to the output of PS1 via PS3 and PSP video out. This would be supported by the fact that my PSVita has filtering enabled by default when I tested out some PS1 titles last night - and it made them look blurry.

I have to do more PSP testing to confirm if the same issue persists there, but on first glance, the games looked worse on the PSTV than other platforms. Vita games looked good, for the record. If this is all for the reasons I suspect, then I think we need to raise our voices and get Sony to restore the relevant missing PS1/PSP game setting functionality back into the PSTV firmware that was removed as compared to the PSVita.

Filtering should be an *option* or just disabled. Scaling mode choices would be nice. Etc. As it stands, these games look bad and they needn't be.

FYI what bilinear filtering does and why you shouldn't be using it if you want the correct look and appreciate the original art: http://blog.kertgartner.com/wp-conte.../Filtering.png

lastly another link of a PSTV compat list that is pretty up to date: http://vitareviews.net/playstation-t...ica/#more-1885

It's on sale online through Gamestop for $40 right now. Should I purchase it, wait for the price to drop even further or just hope for a Vita 3000 to be announced at TGS?

My suspicion is that bilinear filtering is enabled by default, and that's what's causing the issue - significant blurring compared to the output of PS1 via PS3 and PSP video out. This would be supported by the fact that my PSVita has filtering enabled by default when I tested out some PS1 titles last night - and it made them look blurry.

I recently picked up a lagless display and it's sharper than the original set I hooked my PSTV up to. Yep, it appears that bilinear filtering is on. The aspect ratio is also off (I mentioned this before). It's unfortunate as I doubt we will ever see any kind of
official
firmware update that enables the display options available for PSOne classics on the Vita.

GravyButt

Not home right now, but what settings do i need to change on the ps4 or pstv if im connecting to a wired network?

Also is there a way to turn off or put the ps4 in standby via the pstv? Thanks!

bomblord1

Banned
Not home right now, but what settings do i need to change on the ps4 or pstv if im connecting to a wired network?

Also is there a way to turn off or put the ps4 in standby via the pstv? Thanks!

Not sure about number 2 but if you connect the PSTV to a wired network you will need to go into the network settings and manually switch it to wired or it will keep attempting to use wireless.

GravyButt

Not sure about number 2 but if you connect the PSTV to a wired network you will need to go into the network settings and manually switch it to wired or it will keep attempting to use wireless.
On the pstv itself? Hopefully wont have to do this every time I use it. Thank you.

Top Bottom