• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Playstation TV Thread: Vita Who?

Images were taken with a smart phone because the Vita screen captures are always displayed in Original ratio and size.

Normal:
94elzG9.jpg

Original (this is actually the proper 4:3 ratio):

Screen capture from the Vita:

Here is the same image as output from a PSTV:

Cathcart

Bought this thing, then realized there were some Vita games I actually did want to play that don't work on PSTV so I bought a Vita. You got me, Sony. Good one.

NeOak

How is that? I have hovered over the buy button a few times this week.

It is really comfortable. the way you grab the vita with it makes it that you have a bit more control over the sticks. I like it more than the other stick things.

However, once you put it inside the case, plan to leave it there. It is really hard to take out and you could break the little plastics that hold the vita. They hold the vita tight.

Since i keep it at home, it was a great buy for me.

flyover

What is the output of the PSX?

Just got an Elgato Game Capture thingy today, so I'm still getting the hang of it. But I grabbed a pair of 1280x720 screenshots of Final Fantasy VII from a PSTV and an original PlayStation (run through a Framemeister so it can output 720p).

Full-screen shots here (you can put them in separate browser tabs and switch between them to compare):
PSTV: http://i.imgur.com/ypgiM92.png
PS1: http://i.imgur.com/Cjxacaz.png

Textbox on PSTV:
Kq2pnyt.png

Textbox on original PS1:
4dAleXu.png

Apath

Um, why does Luminex ES not work for me? I get past the intro screen but cannot control anything in the menus, yet everywhere I read about people having no issues.

Just got an Elgato Game Capture thingy today, so I'm still getting the hang of it. But I grabbed a pair of 1280x720 screenshots of Final Fantasy VII from a PSTV and an original PlayStation (run through a Framemeister so it can output 720p).

Full-screen shots here (you can put them in separate browser tabs and switch between them to compare):
PSTV: http://i.imgur.com/ypgiM92.png
PS1: http://i.imgur.com/Cjxacaz.png

Textbox on PSTV:
Kq2pnyt.png

Textbox on original PS1:
4dAleXu.png
Haha, wow that's gross. It's really too bad too, because the Vita hardware is perfectly capable of displaying a comparable picture when you aren't restricted to forced bilinear filtering.

Neil_J_UK

How great is this for Remote Play from the PS4? Tempted to get one for the living room so I don't have to move my PS4 to play it there.

How great is this for Remote Play from the PS4? Tempted to get one for the living room so I don't have to move my PS4 to play it there.

works really well when both consoles are wired in. especially with the firmware updates they've released. the visual quality does take a relatively significant hit though. i find myself avoiding playing new games or new experiences via remote play because everything looks like an old ps3 title

Backlogger

I just got my PS TV yesterday from a recent Walmart deal for this express reason. I can't speak to a wireless setup but it works pretty good over a wired connection. I don't know how to technically describe these things so forgive me if I am not explaining it correctly but the stream does seem like its a little over compressed (sometimes large, blocky pixels can be seen). There does seem to be some very minor input lag. Hard to perceive, but it felt slightly off to me. I played a few minutes of Infamous First Light.

For what I paid for it I am happy, it does what I want and now I have the option of playing PS4 games on another TV if I need to.

Has anyone every experienced crashes or freezes with their PS TV? I recently lent mine to a friend so he could play Persona 4 Golden. He told me that when the game would fade to black to load something, it would just sit there. He waited a couple of minutes, but nothing ever happened and he had to hard reset. Then he tried to play again, but the same thing happened. I haven't used my PS TV in a while, so it's possible it's not on the latest firmware (3.51). Could this be what's causing the issue?

Has anyone every experienced crashes or freezes with their PS TV? I recently lent mine to a friend so he could play Persona 4 Golden. He told me that when the game would fade to black to load something, it would just sit there. He waited a couple of minutes, but nothing ever happened and he had to hard reset. Then he tried to play again, but the same thing happened. I haven't used my PS TV in a while, so it's possible it's not on the latest firmware (3.51). Could this be what's causing the issue?

I didn't have that issue with my PSTV but my freezing issues on the Vita were fixed by rebuilding the database. Maybe doing that on the PSTV could help fix the problem?

DOWN

Banned
Anyone know if there's a way to check that the PS TV is for sure using a direct connection to PS4 for wireless and not using the network?

Mendrox

Gave my PS TV my dad for the moment so that he can play Witcher 3. He lives about 200km from my home away (both of us with 100mbit download and 50mbit upload). Looks and works perfectly! Remote play is surely the future. :)

Ekir

What's the overall thoughts on this? I simply want this to play Vita games on my TV. That's it.

If you are after japanese niche games (jrpgs, visual novels...) and indies is a good standalone console.

If you're after AAAs though... it lacks a lot, as its future with them is quite grim. Way better as a secondary device with a ps4/one/pc or even ps3/360 being your primary machine for gaming.

NoKisum

I've been curious about this lately, considering the price seems to have dropped dramatically lately. I wonder though, can I swap memory cards with the one in my Vita and play those games on the TV?

Deft Beck

I've been curious about this lately, considering the price seems to have dropped dramatically lately. I wonder though, can I swap memory cards with the one in my Vita and play those games on the TV?

Yes, but every time you put a different memory card in a Vita/PSTV, the device must rebuild the database, which will put the bubbles out of order.

eastx

You can, but apparently it messes with the position of your icons in the home area. My preference is to transfer save files by PS Plus cloud support.

Yes, but every time you put a different memory card in a Vita/PSTV, the device must rebuild the database, which will put the bubbles out of order.

you can fix this. just have the bubbles in the same positions on both the pstv and the vita. they don't re-arrange if you do that

lupinko

I have some questions, I'm actually interested now due to my classic gaming kick here in Japan.

- How are PSone games on this? I know on a PSP they're dandy (I figure the same on a Vita) but we're talking about it on a HDTV/monitor. I do plan on buying a framemeister xrgb mini in the future, although this doesn't really pertain to that as this is a modern platform. Basically the PS3 while convenient has horrendous input lag for anything PSone or PS2 (or any rendition of Street Fighter 4).

- Since it's available globally now, did Sony lift the account restriction? I do have many PSone games between my Canadian and Japanese PSN accounts.

Not really a question, but I figure PSP games are great on this when playing on a HDTV/monitor? I've bought many games on PSP but could never enjoy them as the device wasn't meant for my hands really.

eastx

I have some questions, I'm actually interested now due to my classic gaming kick here in Japan.

- How are PSone games on this? I know on a PSP they're dandy (I figure the same on a Vita) but we're talking about it on a HDTV/monitor. I do plan on buying a framemeister xrgb mini in the future, although this doesn't really pertain to that as this is a modern platform. Basically the PS3 while convenient has horrendous input lag for anything PSone or PS2 (or any rendition of Street Fighter 4).

- Since it's available globally now, did Sony lift the account restriction? I do have many PSone games between my Canadian and Japanese PSN accounts.

Not really a question, but I figure PSP games are great on this when playing on a HDTV/monitor? I've bought many games on PSP but could never enjoy them as the device wasn't meant for my hands really.

PSOne games are slightly stretched and the display options found on Vita are disabled on PS TV for some reason. I don't notice the issue myself, and I enjoy the PSOne support.

No, you can only have one account per PS TV, just like Vita. On the plus side, PS TV keeps going on sale for cheap so one could potentially buy a system for each regional account.

BouncyFrag

My PSTV should be getting delivered today from the Bestbuy sale. I've got plenty of ps+ games, but I am going to see if I can get into Persona4G. I'm usually not into party based jrpgs, but the games praise is such that it deserves a look. Any tips would be appreciated.

NeOak

You can use your Canadian account.

However, to use two different sounds you need two memory cards and the trick.

flyover

I recently tried reworking the PSTV homescreen UI to bring its visual design more in line with the PS4, and to make it more suited for controller navigation on a large screen (rather than touch on a handheld).

It was mostly a design and programming exercise, but I also made it because I love the PSTV -- at least I love what it could/should be. I know Sony probably considered the whole console DOA upon its NA release (and I've been out of the game industry long enough that I don't have any contacts in the company, anyway), but I still thought I'd share the web prototype here:

http://hellogreg.github.io/pstv/

I recently tried reworking the PSTV homescreen UI to bring its visual design more in line with the PS4, and to make it more suited for controller navigation on a large screen (rather than touch on a handheld).

It was mostly a design and programming exercise, but I also made it because I love the PSTV -- at least I love what it could/should be. I know Sony probably considered the whole console DOA upon its NA release (and I've been out of the game industry long enough that I don't have any contacts in the company, anyway), but I still thought I'd share the web prototype here:

http://hellogreg.github.io/pstv/

Yep, that's pretty much flawless. It's unfortunate that they've abandoned the Vita as a whole. :|

Top Bottom