• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Playstation Vita = TWO HUNDRED FORTY NINE US DOLLARS ($249)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Rubicon

Neo Member
outunderthestars said:
How the hell would that even work?
With the exception of the 10" screen and Android, it already works - it's called Vita :)

Putting Android/Linux whatever on it just makes it easy to use for other shit like web browsing and email. Wouldn't actually be too hard if the right people could come to an agreement, but better to start with an existing Android tab and just add some buttons imo.

Takao

Banned
outunderthestars said:
except for the shitastic screen on the 3000.

As someone who's owned every single PSP model, I'd rather have the 3000's vivid scanline screen than the ghostly 1000/2000 screen. Go's screen is better than both.

darkside31337 said:
Bet on Gamescom.

Actually, I don't know if this has been announced, is this thing going to be region unlocked? I may be in UK that first week of November and would just pick one up while I'm there. I may be eventually moving to the UK in a year anyways.

Jinfash

needs 2 extra inches
DoctorWho said:
Actually, I don't know if this has been announced, is this thing going to be region unlocked? I may be in UK that first week of November and would just pick one up while I'm there. I may be eventually moving to the UK in a year anyways.
This is the only lead we have so far:

IGN said:
In a PlayStation Vita session for European and Australian press at E3 today, Michael Denny, Sony's Vice President of Sony Worldwide Studios Europe, confirmed that - to the best of his knowledge - Vita would be region free.
There are still many areas that still need to explored and discussed, asking about them around here will only get you a robotic "wait for gamescom, TGS" reply :p

Jinfash said:
This is the only lead we have so far:

There are still many areas that still need to explored and discussed, asking about them around here will only get you a robotic "wait for gamescom, TGS" reply :p

I hate waiting.

lol

Thanks for the tip though.

Apath

Takao said:
Ruin is by San Diego Studio, and the studio behind the PSN game Pain.

So, no.
Gravijah said:
Errr... Pain wasn't that good, right?
Yeah.. hype -1 for Ruin (still plan on buying it though! :D). Pain was a piece of shit, but I love loot based dungeon-crawling hack-n-slash games. Anything like Baulder's Gate (PS2/XBOX/NGC?) is an instant buy for me.

googleplex said:
Fuck a Vita phone, give me a Vita tablet! A 10 inch lcd scteen, using Vita internals, buttons, sticks and touch pad. Just add more RAM for multitasking and Android.

It'd be the greatest Tablet ever and very affordable.

you're not thinking this through. bigger screen mean bigger touch area, and there's no way you have access to all rear touch area while keeping your hand holding the tablet and thumb ready on your analog and button.

it's also gonna be pretty heavy and tiring to hold for a long time.

maybe 7inch screen will still be good, but I don't think 10inch will work

NameIess

Any word if the new HD remakes on the PS3 will be downloadable or playable on the Vita?
I'm thinking the new Metal Gear HD remakes would be perfect for the Vita...

theBishop

Banned
Kagari said:
Transfarring.

Do we know the deal with this yet? Does the game come with a Vita download code? Do you have to buy the whole thing twice? What if you just want to play the games on Vita and not PS3?

Kagari

Crystal Bearer
theBishop said:
Do we know the deal with this yet? Does the game come with a Vita download code? Do you have to buy the whole thing twice? What if you just want to play the games on Vita and not PS3?

Kojima hasn't really said yet, but Peacewalker in Japan comes with the PSP download version.

theBishop

Banned
Kagari said:
Kojima hasn't really said yet, but Peacewalker in Japan comes with the PSP download version.

News to me! That's the perfect implementation. Hope this bodes well for games to come. I'd buy a lot more EA sports games like Fight Night if they included this feature.

theBishop said:
News to me! That's the perfect implementation. Hope this bodes well for games to come. I'd buy a lot more EA sports games like Fight Night if they included this feature.

Kojima's transfaring thing is not the same as psp remaster series by Sony though. same with Vita/PS3 cross platform play like Ruin (although Ruin developer said they're hoping to sell it once and be available for PS3 and Vita but it's up to Sony)

SharkJAW

I think the transfarring system could be quite beautiful, as long as the games either come in one package, or the both games can be purchased for a reduced price.

outunderthestars said:
How the hell would that even work?
How the Hell does the DSXL work?

It'd be a Vita with just a larger screen, larger(dual?) batteries, more RAM and internal storag. A Vita tablet would be Fucking awesome.

Callibretto said:
you're not thinking this through. bigger screen mean bigger touch area, and there's no way you have access to all rear touch area while keeping your hand holding the tablet and thumb ready on your analog and button.

it's also gonna be pretty heavy and tiring to hold for a long time.

maybe 7inch screen will still be good, but I don't think 10inch will work
Actually there are tablets that used rear touch pads already. If I'm not mistaken Sony showed one of at some Japanese tech show.

Emitan

googleplex said:

It'd be a Vita with just a larger screen, larger(dual?) batteries, more RAM and internal storag. A Vita tablet would be Fucking awesome.
DSXL isn't 10 inches.

Zutroy

So has the blockbuster flyer been posted?

vita-coming-october-28th-20110729104238751.jpg

Sounds good to me!

When is Gamescon?

Edit: Nevermind, just noticed it's already on page 107.

krae_man

Crakatak187 said:
I loved the PSP-1000 and it fits in my Jean pockets, it's not that huge.

How baggy are your jeans? I can't go back to even the 2000, let alone the 1000 after having a PSP Go in my pocket for the past two years. Vita will be fine for playing at home or when traveling but it won't be a pocket device for me unless a "Vita Go" verson is released.

I'm afraid the sticks could get fucked or just the wear and tear on them significantly increased while in your pocket as they stick out a lot more then the nubs on the PSP.

Spiegel

SCE TGS Keynote
Name: "Entire picture of the PlayStation Vita (tentative)" (google translated)
September 15th - 11:00 am
Speakers: Yoshio Matsumoto and Shuhei Yoshida

http://gadget.itmedia.co.jp/gg/articles/1108/01/news082.html

Description (google translated)
Next generation of handheld entertainment system gradually released from the end of 2011 Sony Computer Entertainment "PlayStation Vita".
For detailed specs and only software title with this cutting-edge systems, introduces the latest information.

http://expo.nikkeibp.co.jp/tgs/2011/business/forum.html

orioto

Good Art™
googleplex said:

Well, i think they'll have to do that ultimately. They chose not to to probably avoid confusing and send a clear message to gamers, but when you think about it... The Vita may suffer from the general portable market problems, and will be perceived as expansive (even if it's not).

Now, even with abigger screen, bigger battery, more expansive, let's say... 300 dollars... It would be a killer value in the tablet market where everything is 400-500 dollars, and the only tablet offering a real gaming offer. of course it would need a slide design (like this old psp2 mock up you know). I'm not talking a 10' tablet but a 6-7' one of course, that wouldn't take that more place than a psvita anyway.

madmaxx350 said:
how long will the Keynote be ? Is that seperate from the TGS conference or is that their TGS conference?

Sony's TGS 09 keynote was a little less than an hour long. They also had a conference later on that same day, but i'm not sure if they'll do the same thing this year.

gofreak

GAF's Bob Woodward
One of Rubicon's colleagues has commented a bit more to Develop on their experiences with Sony.

http://www.develop-online.net/news/...for-indies-as-PS-Vita-dev-kits-are-given-free

Steven Haggerty, the group’s technical director, was unremitting in his praise for Sony – telling Develop the PlayStation group is “the best of all” when engaging with independent developers.

“They’ve just always been so useful in dealing with us,” Haggerty said.

Rubicon has built downloadable games across a wide range of platforms.

“We’ve worked with Apple, and you can’t get anything out of them. Microsoft rarely responds and I suppose Nintendo are okay, but Sony are always there to help. They always get back to you.”

If this attitude transfers over to Suite it could mean good things there too.

EloquentM said:
Can someone sell me on the PS vita so I can get hyped for it's upcoming release?

Well, the strong points are:

*It's going to be the strongest portable platform by far for several years. Don't expect any smartphone or tablet to get anywhere close for a long time.

*dual analogs on a handheld. Finally you can play things like metal gear or fps games without feeling like your controls are gimped.

*all games are downloadable as well as retail from day 1

*no one's entirely clear on how "transfarring" will work, but there's several PS3/Vita games in the works that support cross platform saves to continue where you left off on console.

*front and back touchscreens plus motion controls have potential for innovative uses ingame

*solid psn integration as well as PSP/PS1 backwards compatibility means a metric ton of games to play on day 1- especially if you skipped out on the PSP.

Vanillalite

Ask me about the GAF Notebook
Definitely can't wait for Gamescom!

As someone who's handheldless currently (not counting my smartphone) I want to jump in and get a new dedicated handheld this fall. I don't currently have enough spare cash to really jump on both ships right now though. Post E3 I was leaning Vita though I must admit the 3DS price drop changes things a bit in my mind.

I guess what I really want to know is more firm details about the Vita launch. Like when is it launching? What are the launch games for NA and EU? What's coming in the box? How much are the memory cards gonna be? How much are all of the games gonna cost?

I need to know stuff like that to figure out what handheld I'd be getting and what I'm gonna get with my purchase. I'm still leaning Vita, but I really want to know the memory card situation. That could really cut into my budget if we don't get one in the box.

MRORANGE

so guys what would you recommend for me to get on psvita? the last playstation console I got was the ps1 and primarily been on pc and have only had the gameboy and ds as my handhelds

was thinking of getting mgs, ff, rayman and some capcom games from the then PSN store, but can't think of any psvita games to get :|

Hands on with Golden Abyss from NYC event from last month

Sony recently held a 'PlayStation Pre-Holiday 2011 Media Showcase' in New York City where we went hands-on with their upcoming software lineup for the remainder of 2011 and some of their 2012 lineup.

The Uncharted franchise has been one of Sony’s key entertainment mediums on the PS3 this generation. Having huge success with Uncharted: Drake’s Fortune and Uncharted 2: Among Thieves, Naughty Dog’s Nathan Drake can easily be viewed as the current face of the PlayStation line and now Mr. Drake is going to make his presence known in the portable gaming realm.

Developed by Sony Bend, developers behind a number of PSP hits that includes Syphon Filter: Logan’s Shadow & Resistance: Retribution, Uncharted: Golden Abyss marks the first portable entry of the Uncharted series and looks to include everything that makes the Uncharted series a standout success. Golden Abyss takes place prior to the events of Drake’s Fortune, but don’t view it as a prequel for the storyline is a standalone tale that doesn’t have any direct tie-in to Drake’s Fortune.

Nate Drake has a knack for the dramatic and Golden Abyss looks to offer more of that classic Nathan Drake flair. As he searches for an ancient artifact and treks through the lush jungle terrain of Central America, Drake finds himself, once again, in a dangerous situation that is packed with gun battles, platforming, and exploration. It’s Uncharted in its purest form but the new features and functions of Vita make the game experience new and fresh as Sony Bend takes the series and introduces new game mechanics not possible on any other system available on the market today.

Uncharted: Golden Abyss has the potential to be one of Vita’s key software titles early on its lifecycle and Sony Bend is looking to make great use of Vita’s dual analog sticks, touch-screen, rear touch panel, and gyro controls. In many ways Sony Bend delivers an authentic Uncharted experience and that is reflected in the control setup of the title, however, due to the lack of L2/R2 and L3/R3 buttons, the development team had to get crafty and they did just that.

To ensure all the expected features of an Uncharted title made their way to Golden Abyss, Sony Bend has made brilliant use of the touch-screen. By using the touch-screen, players will be able to path the trajectory of their grenade throw and locate it perfectly between enemies. The touch-screen can also be used to navigate Drake through the platforming sections by simply sliding your finger to the desire location, though you still have the option to control him via analog stick. The melee system makes interesting use of the touch-screen and adds a QTE (Quick time event) feel to combat similar to what is found in the God of War titles. It works very well, though it does feel like it slows down the pace of the game ever so slightly.

Making use of Vita’s vast arsenal of features, Sony Bend is putting the gyroscopic features to good use. Tilting Vita will have Drake lean in that respective direction when traversing cliffs and ease your jump over openings. It is a nice use of gyro controls, but Sony Bend greatly expands on this premise when Drake is equipped with a sniper rifle. Requiring players to use the motion controls, sniping is more challenging as it forces you to move the system to obtain the perfect shot – similar to an augmented reality shooter. To zoom in you use the rear touch panel and slide your fingers – similar to how you would zoom in on an iPad/iPod screen. These controls took a few attempts to adjust to but it was far more satisfying when landing that prized headshot on an enemy sniper.

Uncharted: Golden Abyss is plentiful in Vita features, but the game will allow players to play the game how they want to play it. If you want to play it like a traditional Uncharted title with dual analog control and face-buttons you can or you can play by tilting, touching, and moving the system all around. It’s your decision as to how you want to play and experience the game. Sony Bend is making great use of Vita’s many features early on and they all fit the Uncharted ambiance wonderfully. Though not quite PS3 level, Golden Abyss is a visual treat for the eyes. Flourishing environments and impressive character models, Golden Abyss captures the essence, feel, and look of the Uncharted world.

Fans of Nathan Drake get hyped because Sony Bend is taking proper care of the Uncharted franchise. Golden Abyss is shaping up to be another great entry and this time it’ll be portable. No release has been revealed for Uncharted: Golden Abyss at this time, but we should hear more at the Tokyo Game Show in September.
http://www.examiner.com/video-game-in-national/hands-on-uncharted-golden-abyss#ixzz1ToSTFvnQ

krae_man said:
How baggy are your jeans? I can't go back to even the 2000, let alone the 1000 after having a PSP Go in my pocket for the past two years. Vita will be fine for playing at home or when traveling but it won't be a pocket device for me unless a "Vita Go" verson is released.

I'm afraid the sticks could get fucked or just the wear and tear on them significantly increased while in your pocket as they stick out a lot more then the nubs on the PSP.
It's just regular Levi jeans.

Yeah for the Vita I'm getting a case and screen protector before putting it in my pocket.

Rubicon said:
Heh, we got you covered either way if you like our game.
<plug>Great Little War Game is out for iOS now</plug>,
but we've also got the Vita version finished already - just waiting for the unit to go on sale. :)

I can confirm that the machine is everything you'd like it to be - a really sweet bit of kit. And best of all, Sony are seriously pushing indies forward, so it's AppStore should start filling up in the same way the iOS one has.

Nintendo can learn a lot from their attitude.

Is this for vita or playstation suite? Lately I've been leaning more towards getting an android tablet as opposed to getting a vita.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom