• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Playstation Vita western launch thread | It only does everything, everywhere.

Status
Not open for further replies.

iapetus

Scary Euro Man
Why do I, a legitimate customer, have to suffer because someone might be able to hack a Vita with a game save (I'm pretty sure the PSP wasn't hacked via game saves)?

Welcome to the world of people who used OtherOS, and warned you that in the future more features would be lost in the name of security once the precedent had been set.

frequency

Welcome to the world of people who used OtherOS, and warned you that in the future more features would be lost in the name of security once the precedent had been set.

I was angry then, and I'm angry now.

Can you manage your saves in-game? Wasn't there an icon in Gravity Daze next to the save which allowed you to delete them?

Depends on the game. But based on past PS3 and PSP games, most developers don't add save management features in game.

For the same reason you have to suffer lengthy security control at the airport simply because someone might blow up the plane.

Because it's totally the same thing.
Managing my saves is as bad as a plane full of people dying.

kitch9

Banned
No. I can't see why.
Why do I, a legitimate customer, have to suffer because someone might be able to hack a Vita with a game save (I'm pretty sure the PSP wasn't hacked via game saves)?
If this was something minor, I would understand. But save management is kind of an essential feature.

Lets not forget the Content Manager requires an internet connection.
Yup. Internet down and you need to clear room for that shiny new game? Too bad.

There is no situation where I can see myself being okay with this.

You as a legitimate customer suffered because the PSP was hacked to hell and back so developers in turn abandoned the platform as it was pirated to hell and back.

If a minor inconvenience over a game save helps stop that happening again then I'm all for it .

LiquidMetal14

hide your water-based mammals

I won't argue the otherOS thing but the fact is people did hack things using save game exploits. Sort of like the Wii. It sucks and again, as someone who has paid Sony many dollars, I hate it but I have to live with it. I love the Vita too much to make that some reason to not want one.

RoylAsult

anyone have any comment about f1 2011? im trying to decide what 3 games to get at target and the one for sure in Virtua Tennis and probably army corps, and then there is one more. wish ridge racer was coming out

Marco1

Does anyone else hope that the vita will have proper third party titles?
I know some may think it will conflict with ps3 but it would be great if titles such as mass effect 3 with nothing missing would arrive.

AwRy108

No. I can't see why.

Actually, it was: the original Lumines was prey to a save game exploit that blew the PSP wide open. In fact, I remember when it became public knowledge b/c copies of Lumines were going for as much as $100 on ebay.

LiquidMetal14

Man, I'm eyeing like 4 PSP games. You can't take PSP game screenshots with the OS capture feature right?

I think I'm going to hold back as I want another RPG and a puzzler and a recreational game. Hustle Kings will be free for those of us with the PSN version so that should fill the casual void nicely on top of Hot Shots.

FinKL

Does anyone know when you are using AT+T 3G (in the USA) when in the upper left where it says 3G sometimes it will turn into a H with a circle around it. Does that mean im on an AT+T hotspot? I can not find any info on this with google-fu or in the paltry instruction booklet that came with the system.

Does it say 2G as well? Like someone mentioned, H stands for HSPA which is just a fancy word for 3G. I'm on TMobile but I've always understood the networks as this:
2G Edge
3G HSPA
3.5G HSPA+

kitch9

Banned
Because of recent history

- Bombed at japanese launch
- 3DS sales before price drop
- smartphones and tablets (mostly in NA)

they are trying to sell a premium system against VERY stiff competition

I wish people would stop banging the smartphones drum.

Playing games on them is, quite frankly, complete and utter shit, they do not compete with a dedicated games machine in the slightest.

Vita is not for the bird slinging gamers, it never will be, its for people who like more meat on their gaming bones, and there's a lot of us out there.

With so many good things being said about the system, it is a bit surprising that more people aren't noticing and commenting on these points. I worry that once the euphoria wears off, there will be even more problems exposed. This can be said about almost every new system launch, but given how critical Vita is for Sony's success, they really do need to stay on top of things and address these issues in a timely fashion to dispel the bad taste I get when I think of the drawbacks of PSN.

It's because most of those things are going to be addressed already?... that's probably why?

dallow_bg

nods at old men
Physical copies still install to the Vita. You have to back up that install.
There is no way to access your Vita save files.

You know the save manager on the PS3 and PSP? Where you can see all your saves and delete/copy/whatever? Well, that's gone. Did you create 20 saves by mistake and only want to keep 2 of them? Too bad. You can't delete them unless you delete the entire game and all your saves with them.
How do you create 20 saves with a Vita game?

frequency

Actually, it was: the original Lumines was prey to a save game exploit that blew the PSP wide open. In fact, I remember when it became public knowledge b/c copies of Lumines were going for as much as $100 on ebay.

Well, shows how much I know about hacking I guess.

I still don't see taking away something so essential as justifiable.

But whatever. Obviously I'm in the minority here. I'll stop ruining the thread.
I'll just be playing my Vita with bitter resentment from now on.

Salaadin

Lol, thats exactly what he meant! Way to miss the point.

Man, I'm eyeing like 4 PSP games. You can't take PSP game screenshots with the OS capture feature right?

I think I'm going to hold back as I want another RPG and a puzzler and a recreational game. Hustle Kings will be free for those of us with the PSN version so that should fill the casual void nicely on top of Hot Shots.

Im doing the same looking -- looking at every PSP game I passed up the past few years. Im going to be so broke.

Anyone play DJ Max 3 yet on the Vita? I need to know how it feels with the buttons and whatnot. It was asked earlier today but I didn't see any response. Appreciate it.

I'm also wondering about this. Big music game fan here and would love to have another (music) game alongside Lumines.

Cannot wait for DJ Max Technika. The moment they announced it, I knew a Vita was in my future. Just waiting on my tax return lol.

sakipon

I agree with you. This is supposed to be a superior dedicated gaming handheld. Yet it doesn't even a way to manage saves.

Wait a few weeks or months. People will start to see the problem after the hype.

Hyuga

Banned

Playing games on them is, quite frankly, complete and utter shit, they do not compete with a dedicated games machine in the slightest.

Vita is not for the bird slinging gamers, it never will be, its for people who like more meat on their gaming bones, and there's a lot of us out there.

I'm on your site, man.
But smartphone "gamers" won't agree with you.

I couldn't control myself and picked up like 5 or 6 PSP games I hadn't had a chance to try. The OLED is just too good of an excuse to play more of them.

Really happy with the way Dissidia 012, Trails in the Sky, Lunar: Silver Star Harmony and Prinny look and play on Vita.

I'm on your site, man.
But smartphone "gamers" won't agree with you.

They won't, because they're smartphone gamers and they are served very well by the platform of their choice. iOS and Android are extremely awesome for people looking for those kinds of games, but they don't do anything for me. I started to hate myself after playing enough of shit like Tiny Tower and, while I enjoy the core gameplay, Jetpack Joyride is just an exercise in repetitiveness. Most smartphone games are still like that, even if they're very well executed.

I just can't do games like that. I'm instantly appreciating the amount of depth in games like Golden Abyss, WipEout 2048 and Stardust Delta. Even games like Stardust Delta which could technically work on iOS are designed with a PS3 mentality by a PS3 developer, so they really know how to make a pick-up and play arcade style game have some serious depth to make the experience far more engaging. Smartphone games can get you hooked pretty quick but I never feel sucked into it like these games do for me.

frequency

My english isn't the best. If that's not what you mean, then don't use that example.

Well anyway, it's nice to see some people agree. If nothing else, it's confirmation to me that I'm not crazy. Thank you agreeable people!

AwRy108

Well, shows how much I know about hacking I guess.

But whatever. Obviously I'm in the minority here. I'll stop ruining the thread.
I'll just be playing my Vita with bitter resentment from now on.

I, too, am frustrated by the way that save games are handled; but I do feel that Sony will address this in future firmware, especially since it's obvious that several other features/functions need some updating.

LiquidMetal14

Im doing the same looking -- looking at every PSP game I passed up the past few years. Im going to be so broke.

War of the Lions 10
Tactics Ogre 20
The 3rd Birthday 20
Ys Oath in Felghana 15
Ys 7 15
Ys Chronicles 15
Legend of Heroes TitS 15
LUNAR (awesome remake in my opinion) 15

I would love to see Star Ocean 1/2 remakes/ports on PSN as I loved 1 on PSP. I also wanted to get Ridge Racer but then I realized it's coming to Vita in May/June. I can hold off for the hopefully fixed and content complete version with online.

Bradach

I'm amazed at the amount of doom and gloom the vita gets.
Why do people think its over before it has really started?
One of my favourite handhelds is the Atari lynx and no handheld had as much doom as it had.
Personally I think the vita shows that Sony are going the direction I want them to.

Ahh, the auld Atari Lynx. I loved that house brick too. i fondly remember a summer games game (with surfing) and Batman Returns side scroller (with incredible graphics).

I hope to have as many fond memories with my Vita :)

Tobor

Smartphone gaming is awesome. Vita gaming will be awesome.

The first thing you guys need to do is get off your high horses and deal with reality. Smartphone/tablet gaming is here, it's not going anywhere, and there is some overlap in the demographics. It's not going to kill dedicated gaming, but there is increased competition for people's entertainment time and dollars. Deal with it.

LiquidMetal14

Ahh, the auld Atari Lynx. I loved that house brick too. i fondly remember a summer games game (with surfing) and Batman Returns side scroller (with incredible graphics).

I hope to have as many fond memories with my Vita :)

If the OS was the only thing to judge the system on, it would be in the hall of fame instantly. This thing is breaking new ground in some of these features for a dedicated portable gaming console.

Impressions please!

Pics too!

Does it say 2G as well? Like someone mentioned, H stands for HSPA which is just a fancy word for 3G. I'm on TMobile but I've always understood the networks as this:
2G Edge
3G HSPA
3.5G HSPA+

All i've seen so far is 3G and (H)

On my phone, which is also ATT, all ive ever seen is 3G and E (E = edge).

Durante

For the same reason you have to suffer lengthy security control at the airport simply because someone might blow up the plane.
That's a good comparison. It makes about as much sense and is as helpful in securing the goal it was purportedly designed to.

Smartphone gaming is awesome. Vita gaming will be awesome.

The first thing you guys need to do is get off your high horses and deal with reality.
In my reality smartphone gaming is a good way to waste a few minutes, nothing more. And it's not like I haven't tried the popular stuff.

Does anyone else hope that the vita will have proper third party titles?
I know some may think it will conflict with ps3 but it would be great if titles such as mass effect 3 with nothing missing would arrive.

The main reason I bought a Vita is for console ports. I want to be able to play real games on the go.

My english isn't the best. If that's not what you mean, then don't use that example.

I meant that sometimes we need to go through the things we don't like for some reason or another. As someone has said, PSP was hacked using save game exploits. Is it shit you cannot access your saves? Yes, but that is the price you have to pay if we are to have healthy PSVita ecosystem.

Cannot wait for DJ Max Technika. The moment they announced it, I knew a Vita was in my future. Just waiting on my tax return lol.

Just to remind people it's confirmed: http://www.playstation.co.kr/ps_community/com_news_view.sce?sid=20158

Im assuming black blotches are normal??

Yeah, that's typical for OLED but if they are actually noticeable during gameplay when you're not playing in pitch blackness, then it's a problem.

If it's dark and I'm playing, they're noticeable during a loadscreen or while launching the system or a game, but if they show up during play you should probably exchange your system.

Salaadin

Sorry. I didnt get that impression from your other posts.

Anyways, I think his point was that this is just another classic case of legit people getting screwed over because of the off chance that someone might do something theyre not supposed to. A better comparison would be DRM and all the negative aspects of it screwing up people that legitimately bought a game. It sucks.

War of the Lions 10
Tactics Ogre 20
The 3rd Birthday 20
Ys Oath in Felghana 15
Ys 7 15
Ys Chronicles 15
Legend of Heroes TitS 15

I would love to see Star Ocean 1/2 remakes/ports on PSN as I loved 1 on PSP. I also wanted to get Ridge Racer but then I realized it's coming to Vita in May/June. I can hold off for the hopefully fixed and content complete version with online.

I was thinking about rebuying all of the Ys games digitally just to have them (and support XSEED further). Im currently 30 hours into LoH:TiTS and, if I dont beat that by the 22nd, Im probably going to get the digital version and finish it on my Vita.

Lunar Silver Star Harmony was my first real chance to play the game. People seem to have mixed feelings on it but I loved it. Great game.

I should go back and get a lot of the JRPGs that I hear so much about. A lot of people say that the PSP was great for them but the only 2 I own are LoH and Lunar.

sfedai0

Banned
War of the Lions 10
Tactics Ogre 20
The 3rd Birthday 20
Ys Oath in Felghana 15
Ys 7 15
Ys Chronicles 15
Legend of Heroes TitS 15

I havent played a handheld since GBA so Im definitely craving some turnbased/strategy rpgs! Any other must haves?

LiquidMetal14

I basically stopped playing LoH TitS just to play it on Vita. I resumed yesterday by transferring my old PSP save. Feels good.

sfedai0, there are plenty which are cheap. I would browse the store and start writing them down.

HSG game in 6 minutes!

CAT LOBBY 1

AkuMifune

Banned
Yes.

Anyone want to play some HSG? I'm going into the cat lobby now!

I will hang for about 10-15 to see if anyone shows up.

Working now jerk! But I'll be back for a rematch later.

Though My vita froze during both online tournaments I was in last night. Hope it's just a fluke and not a symptom of something worse.

Could someone please check if Lunar: Silver Star Harmony is compatible?

Yes, I believe it is. I was looking at it in the PSN download list on my Vita yesterday, if I'm not mistaken. I was checking to see what games I already own on PSN I can download to my Vita...

I'm going to have to buy another pack of Screen Protectors from Sony. I botched the first ones. I suck at these things. :/

That's too bad... I put one on the very first thing when I unboxed my Vita: pulled the system out of the plastifoam envelope it comes wrapped in, laid it on top of the envelope on the kitchen counter, chased the cats off the counter, brushed the Vita's face with one of my PSP microfibre cloths, then layed the screen saver on it nice and clean, all in about 2 minutes flat. It went without a hitch...

LiquidMetal14

I swear they could make a little RPG with the engine they use for the HSG lobbies and I would buy the shit out of it. So cute, them little buggers ><

4 MINUTES LEFT TILL START

I believe you can join while in the prep screen so you have like 6-ish minutes in reality.

Hello everyone, anyone recommend one of the following? Going to pick up a Vita on Amazon and do the £15 game deal:

Virtua Tennis 4 (I do love VT series but is this worth picking up?)
Luminies (Never played one, not sure if it will be my thing? How much is it on PSN?)
Dungeon Hunter Alliance (not seen anything about this game?)

Any help much appreciated!

Cartman86

Banned
Sorry but you don't just take out essential features to make a little more money and expect me to not complain. Expected losses are part of the plan, and if you figure out that those losses are too much (like with PSP) you provide a secure work around (like the content management software). None of these require you to lock out access to saves on the system itself. They will fix this.

Salaadin

I swear they could make a little RPG with the engine they use for the HSG lobbies and I would buy the shit out of it. So cute, them little buggers ><

4 MINUTES LEFT TILL START

I believe you can join while in the prep screen so you have like 6-ish minutes in reality.

Those lobbies remind me of Animal Crossing.

raven777

I still don't get how near works. On my old account (japanese) I had about 10 people show up, with almost covering 8km distance. But now I switched my account to US account, and use near I get nobody show up and distance is only 2km. Also I can't even click on my own account, even though in the near seting I set to show my online ID.

anddo0

Impressions, please! Let us know if you can notice higher framerate.

I didn't notice any major difference in fps. I played ep2: Operation Black Storm. I had the Vita/GO side by side.. When the action picked up the Vita version seem like it fared a bit better, nothing too significant. The game loaded faster, colors popped more. The game looks incredible sitting next to the GO version. The right analog stick works great, albeit a bit loose while and an moving around. It's still an improvement over the d-pad, and movement feels a lot less limited. The game is no longer clunky. Very pleased, might even playthrough it again soon.

Toma

Let me show you through these halls, my friend, where treasures of indie gaming await...
Hello everyone, anyone recommend one of the following? Going to pick up a Vita on Amazon and do the £15 game deal:

Virtua Tennis 4 (I do love VT series but is this worth picking up?)
Luminies (Never played one, not sure if it will be my thing? How much is it on PSN?)
Dungeon Hunter Alliance (not seen anything about this game?)

Any help much appreciated!

My opinion:

Yes.
Good game. 35$.
Wait for Warrior's Lair/Ruin.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom