• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Playstation Vita western launch thread | It only does everything, everywhere.

Status
Not open for further replies.
With so many good things being said about the system, it is a bit surprising that more people aren't noticing and commenting on these points. I worry that once the euphoria wears off, there will be even more problems exposed. This can be said about almost every new system launch, but given how critical Vita is for Sony's success, they really do need to stay on top of things and address these issues in a timely fashion to dispel the bad taste I get when I think of the drawbacks of PSN.

My take on it is that....

Some of those items are minor annoynaces to some people, while to other people they don't care about some of those items.

If you care about all those then, yeah, in aggregate it can be frustrating. But if you only care about a small portion of those (and think very lowly of them) then it's a non-issue.

It's very person-to-person.

Almost exactly one year ago IGN had an interview with Reggie about the Wii, the falling sales and whether or not we could expect a new Nintendo console. Nintendo has just launched 3DS and said that they were directing most of the attention to the 3DS. So what did Reggie say? He said that the future of the Wii is strong: http://wii.ign.com/articles/115/1154087p1.html

...de ja vu, anyone?

Vita is doomed, we already know. You're late to the funeral.

Sony please fix already downloaded PSP games to Vita. It sucks that I have to re-download a PSP game in order to play it on Vita.. Can't believe there is no way to direct transfer.

From Gamefaq

Both your paid month and free month can be claimed at the same time. The free month doesn't kick in until your paid month is over. So no real reason to wait to redeem.

Thanks! Would've never known

Tobor

PS1 titles are tied up because I think they want to make them compatible with PSSuite. Otherwise it'll be a huge mess once PSSuite does come out, as there are a few PS1 games already on that service.

That would mean we'd have to rebuy PS1 games on Vita. Shitstorm incoming if true.

mauaus

Sony's OS designers really are useless:

- you can't have multiple profiles
- no Android apps, instead Sony wants the Vita OS on their phones, wtf
- no PSX games
- half of the PSP games don't work
- can't see Vita people from PS3 (and vice versa?)
- games playable on both PS3 and PSVITA, give you double trophies, wtf

- By design... too much "gamesharing" going on
- Will be patched in
- Play new gen game or buy a psp for $50
- im sure its temp, they are probably working it out, would be a very stupid move. Its in their interest to be as integrated as possible with ps3
- Some people see this as good.

LiquidMetal14

hide your water-based mammals
Tested out party chat tonight. Holy hell. It's awesome.
It's pretty awesome and seamless. Never a hitch while loading, taking pics, browsing, or anything. Simply flawless. Played a couple rounds of Hot Shots with a friend and I don't even want to go back to consoles now.

I can't seem to get Killzone Liberation to work. I got it free from the Welcome back program... anyone else having trouble with it?
When I looked at my DL list on Vita it wasn't even showing oddly enough. It shows on my PS3 alongside LBP but that's it.

Hot Shots Tennis: Get a Grip! doesn't work either. Dammit!

God damnit Sony, why is it so hard to port over an emulator.
I think it's the DRM and new wrapper required. I could be wrong. And someone mentioned they want to give Vita/PSP functions the love right now so it's coming, as was noted on the blog stream.

So, with a lot of Vitas out there now, has anyone tried Corpse Party on one? I just want to make sure that it's supported and everything works, though it really doesn't seem like a game that would have any problems.

It should work as it's right on the front page of the store.

Still can't get over how seamless and fast everything is. This thing feels more next gen then current gen and this is just a little handheld. Amazing. Party chat, the BT integration (my only gripe is all audio comes out of the mic), fluid and fast OS, what a beast. I don't think people are prepared for the options and functionality out of a dedicated handheld like this. This should blow people away. And load times in every game but Wipeout have been great. HSG is never even an issue as most loads outside of lobby loads seem to be under 5 seconds. Wipeout, while better post patch is still fairly long. Not an issue with me but it's still noticeable.

Bojanglez

The Amiga Brotherhood
My order with Play just changed to Processing...

ikK9xcIAPRe4Q.png

So close!

Glad you posted this, it triggered a memory that originally I had pre-ordered with play.com on the day it was announced. I completely forgot to cancel it until I just saw this.

LiquidMetal14

With so many good things being said about the system, it is a bit surprising that more people aren't noticing and commenting on these points. I worry that once the euphoria wears off, there will be even more problems exposed. This can be said about almost every new system launch, but given how critical Vita is for Sony's success, they really do need to stay on top of things and address these issues in a timely fashion to dispel the bad taste I get when I think of the drawbacks of PSN.

Some of them are flatout nitpicks though and the system isn't even officially out (outside of FEB's).

Grokbu

I'm a bit confused at the moment. So if my main account is a US one and I decide to switch a Japanese account to try a demo, I have to erase everything and return it back to factory settings, right? But if this is true:
- you can't backup your saves
Then I cannot make a backup of my saves on my PC or whatever, switch account, and then copy them back to my Vita?

Could this be bypassed by disconnecting the current memory card before returning to factory settings?

LiquidMetal14

I'm a bit confused at the moment. So if my main account is a US one and I decide to switch a Japanese account to try a demo, I have to erase everything and return it back to factory settings, right? But if this is true:

Then I cannot make a backup of my saves on my PC or whatever, switch account, and then copy them back to my Vita?

Could this be bypassed by disconnecting the current memory card before returning to factory settings?

He either is posting out of rage or hasn't really looked at the system all the way. You can back up saves to PC or PS3 via the manager.

You do not erase anything on your memory card, only Vita factory settings. Memory card stays intact.

Goldrusher

He either is posting out of rage...
I'm posting out of doubt over the future success of the device as a result of these decisions and tactics.
I didn't even mention the lack of a proper media player. It's PSP all over again, only mp4/AVC is supported.

...or hasn't really looked at the system all the way. You can back up saves to PC or PS3 via the manager.
Does it copy your save, or the complete game, which includes your save ?

LiquidMetal14

All I see is options to copy PSPPSV data, PSV saves, PSP saves back and forth. I don't know what else you're referring to without getting more specific ><

I will boot it up in a sec to check.

Grokbu

He either is posting out of rage or hasn't really looked at the system all the way. You can back up saves to PC or PS3 via the manager.

You do not erase anything on your memory card, only Vita factory settings. Memory card stays intact.

Oh, that's a relief on both points. Thanks a lot.

I'm not sure how I came to that conclusion, but I assumed that the memory card was swiped completely.

frequency

I'm posting out of doubt over the future success of the device as a result of these decisions and tactics.
I didn't even mention the lack of a proper media player. It's PSP all over again, only mp4/AVC is supported.

There is no way to directly access saves anymore. Saves are directly tied to the game now. Delete the game? Saves are gone too. So you have to back up the entire game.

Very few people seem to care now. Some even told me to "return my Vita" because I dared to complain about it.
But later on, when people have more games, they'll see how much of an issue this is. Especially the digital people. 32GB memory card when games are > 3GB. They'll be deleting game installs to make room.

Grokbu

There is no way to directly access saves anymore. Saves are directly tied to the game now. Delete the game? Saves are gone too. So you have to back up the entire game.

Very few people seem to care now. Some even told me to "return my Vita" because I dared to complain about it.
But later on, when people have more games, they'll see how much of an issue this is. Especially the digital people. 32GB memory card when games are > 3GB. They'll be deleting game installs to make room.

How do you access saves from physical copies? They aren't tied to the game cartridge, right?

frequency

How do you access saves from physical copies? Because they aren't tied to the game cartridge, right?

Physical copies still install to the Vita. You have to back up that install.
There is no way to access your Vita save files.

You know the save manager on the PS3 and PSP? Where you can see all your saves and delete/copy/whatever? Well, that's gone. Did you create 20 saves by mistake and only want to keep 2 of them? Too bad. You can't delete them unless you delete the entire game and all your saves with them.

LiquidMetal14

I certainly won't say that. Sony has seem to tightened things down (for now). Considering how PSP was hacked via game saves, I hope you can see why this would deter them from that. I may have to back up my games on PC as I have much more space to spare for Vita games.

I'm not spreading anything, I'm speculating. Don't get pissy.

If its as easy as moving the content from one category to another, then great.

People can pick that up and spread it easily. Things worked seamlessly with PSP PS1 implementation so I see no reason why it wouldn't be the same here.

Salaadin

I certainly won't say that. Sony has seem to tightened things down (for now). Considering how PSP was hacked via game saves, I hope you can see why this would deter them from that. I may have to back up my games on PC as I have much more space to spare for Vita games.

This is what I was just about to ask: If saves are tied to the game, that means you can back up the game to PC/PS3/whatever and your saves go along with it, right?
If thats the case, then Ill just back up my games when Im done with them. Its a annoying but at least theres a way around it.

Can you hide home screen icons for games or do you HAVE to delete them to get rid of them?

Marco1

I'm amazed at the amount of doom and gloom the vita gets.
Why do people think its over before it has really started?
One of my favourite handhelds is the Atari lynx and no handheld had as much doom as it had.
Personally I think the vita shows that Sony are going the direction I want them to.

Does anyone know when you are using AT+T 3G (in the USA) when in the upper left where it says 3G sometimes it will turn into a H with a circle around it. Does that mean im on an AT+T hotspot? I can not find any info on this with google-fu or in the paltry instruction booklet that came with the system.

LiquidMetal14

Can't believe War of the Lions is only 10 on PSN. I'm gonna hop on that as I haven't even bought the PS1 classic. Now to drop Tactics Ogre digital to 10 and I will double dip.

Can you hide home screen icons for games or do you HAVE to delete them to get rid of them?
Haven't seen or tried to delete a game yet but I assume you can uninstall the bubbles that are not mandatory.

frequency

People can pick that up and spread it easily. Things worked seamlessly with PSP PS1 implementation so I see no reason why it wouldn't be the same here.

No. I can't see why.
Why do I, a legitimate customer, have to suffer because someone might be able to hack a Vita with a game save (I'm pretty sure the PSP wasn't hacked via game saves)?
If this was something minor, I would understand. But save management is kind of an essential feature.

Lets not forget the Content Manager requires an internet connection.
Yup. Internet down and you need to clear room for that shiny new game? Too bad.

There is no situation where I can see myself being okay with this.

LiquidMetal14

No. I can't see why.
Why do I, a legitimate customer, have to suffer because someone might be able to hack a Vita with a game save (I'm pretty sure the PSP wasn't hacked via game saves)?
If this was something minor, I would understand. But save management is kind of an essential feature.

Lets not forget the Content Manager requires an internet connection.
Yup. Internet down and you need to clear room for that shiny new game? Too bad.

There is no situation where I can see myself being okay with this.

I have spent thousands on PSN. Sucks that the pirates found 10 ways till Sunday to hack and screw over the legit customer right? Not my problem nor do I view it as one. It's annoying but I can live with it.

maxte

Does anyone know when you are using AT+T 3G (in the USA) when in the upper left where it says 3G sometimes it will turn into a H with a circle around it. Does that mean im on an AT+T hotspot? I can not find any info on this with google-fu or in the paltry instruction booklet that came with the system.

Im not sure but i think it does mean that. My phone does the same thing but with an orange circle.

Durante

I know next to nothing about US cell networks, but here in Europe I'd assume it means that you are on HSPA.

In Japan can you see Vita games/demos from the PS3 store interface without using search? Because it's incredibly stupid that I have to manually search for what I want on the US store now. Have they stated their intention to turn on the interface next week at the real launch?

Duxxy3

I'm amazed at the amount of doom and gloom the vita gets.
Why do people think its over before it has really started?
One of my favourite handhelds is the Atari lynx and no handheld had as much doom as it had.
Personally I think the vita shows that Sony are going the direction I want them to.

Because of recent history

- Bombed at japanese launch
- 3DS sales before price drop
- smartphones and tablets (mostly in NA)

they are trying to sell a premium system against VERY stiff competition

Did you create 20 saves by mistake and only want to keep 2 of them? Too bad. You can't delete them unless you delete the entire game and all your saves with them.

Can you manage your saves in-game? Wasn't there an icon in Gravity Daze next to the save which allowed you to delete them?

No. I can't see why.

For the same reason you have to suffer lengthy security control at the airport simply because someone might blow up the plane.

AwRy108

1) the majority of people have two primary means of personal video watching these days: .mp4 and YouTube
2) you can stream video from the PS3 via Remote Play, which opens up a lot more format options
3) the PSN/SEN Video Store has an extensive library of copyrighted material, which I'm sure Sony wants to steer users towards
4) sweet avatar!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom