• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Playstation Vita western launch thread | It only does everything, everywhere.

Status
Not open for further replies.

frequency

So I'm worried that my Vita has hardware problems.
I mean, not in general, just my Vita.

The right shoulder button feels like I need to press it harder than the left one.
And I notice while playing HSG, the back touch doesn't seem to respond if I tap on the top. If i tap at the bottom it does, then I can slide my finger up top and it's working fine. I don't know if it's just the game only shows the guide thingies if I tap on the grass, or if it's a screen issue. I have nothing else to really test it with.

And I notice while playing HSG, the back touch doesn't seem to respond if I tap on the top. If i tap at the bottom it does, then I can slide my finger up top and it's working fine. I don't know if it's just the game only shows the guide thingies if I tap on the grass, or if it's a screen issue. I have nothing else to really test it with.

Maybe go out and try HSG at one of the demo stations?

injurai

Banned
How about this: http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0073ESYZO/ref=oh_o02_s00_i00_details

41WQNhUZBkL._SL500_AA300_.jpg

that is probably the best option that I have seen. I prefer softer cases, an that just looks nice. I'm sure I'll be seeing even more great option during the coming year.

Good luck man.

Luck has nothing to do with it. There are some things I'll never pay for and this is one of those things. If it never happens, I'll be perfectly fine with an ipad3 and an iphone 5 or some android combination regardless.

I can be very stubborn when it comes to stuff like this.

Now that I've had two full days to play around with my Vita, I would like to say the following:

OMG OMG OMG OMG OMG

THIS IS THE GREATEST HANDHELD SYSTEM IN THE HISTORY OF GAMING

Every sentient creature in the entire universe should own at least one of these.

Uncharted: Golden Abyss -- OMG I AM PLAYING A PS3 GAME IN THE PALMS OF MY HANDS!

Rayman: Origins -- Are you kidding me!? Look at this! I am playing an interactive painting!

Lumines: Electronic Symphony -- My eyes and ears are exploding with delight!

Hot Shots Golf: World Invitational -- The best in the series. No question.

PSP Games -- An all-new amazing experience of complete awesomeness. You will want to play your entire library all over again.

Seriously, the Vita is amazing. I love it.

LiquidMetal14

hide your water-based mammals

The right shoulder button feels like I need to press it harder than the left one.

Mine sort of felt like that until I started messing with on where to press it. Try applying pressure to the most outer part of each trigger, then the center, then the inner part. After I did that, it seemed even more "even" in terms of one feeling easier to press than the other. In all honesty, I haven't even felt a bother while playing a game and using them so I suspect maybe either mine isn't an issue or I've broken it in. It wasn't an issue out of the box or anything though, not for me.

Takao

Banned

Play Welcome Park's back touch portion to see if it's just HSG.

zeioIIDX

Damnit, I forgot DJMax Technika is coming out for the Vita...that means I HAVE to get one now :( I only played Technika a few times at GameWorks in Schaumburg, IL but it was so damn addicting and I have all the PSP games too. Thinking of checking out the Vita at GameStop later, they only have it on display behind a case for some reason...

addyb

Since when? I have always got mine on the launch date from Play. Don't get me wrong their delivery times are slow for normal items but pre-order's have always turned up either early or on-time for me. Still, it appears you have had a bad time with them.

I am just waiting for Sony to ring me about when I can expect my Vita prize, hoping it's early next week!

I stopped ordering from play years ago. I just know quite a few people that pre ordered a 3DS from them and they didn't turn up launch day. Maybe it was just an isolated incident. I always use shopto.

dark10x

Digital Foundry pixel pusher
Lots of love, quality of the hardware is amazing. A bit of "launch goggles" on like with every system. The games are pretty good for a system launch but will be looked back on as average. Still everyone thats bought one early seems to be happy with there purchase. We will see in 6 months if its just a honeymoon or if its a lasting feeling.
I dunno, I think some of them will hold up.

Rayman Origins, Lumines ES, Virtua Tennis 4, Marvel vs Capcom 3, Super Stardust Delta, and a few others will all stand the test of time with fast framerate, fast loading, and beautiful visuals. I don't think those will feel dated at all.

Skilletor

Luck has nothing to do with it. There are some things I'll never pay for and this is one of those things. If it never happens, I'll be perfectly fine with an ipad3 and an iphone 5 or some android combination regardless.

I can be very stubborn when it comes to stuff like this.

Cool story, bro.

Posted from PS Vita.

Rayman Origins, Lumines ES, Virtua Tennis 4, Marvel vs Capcom 3, Super Stardust Delta, and a few others will all stand the test of time with fast framerate, fast loading, and beautiful visuals. I don't think those will feel dated at all.

Yeah, Lumines is great. Wipeout is soooooo good. I think this launch is super solid.

- J - D -

Try the Little Deviants demo. It has a minigame where all you use is the rear touch. Use that as a test.

As for Hot Shots Golf, are you sure you're not accidentally placing more than one finger on the rear touch pad? Sometimes I forget, the way I hold the Vita, that part of my other hand is resting on the rear touch while I prod uselessly with my other hand. In the case of HSG, the rear touch doesn't seem to activate if you have multiple fingers on it, it's kinda finnicky in that way, in my experience.

TheExodu5

Banned

I've tried two Vitas so far, and with both of them I have to press the shoulder buttons slightly harder than it takes to make them depress for them to activate.

addyb

Your certainly having a rough vita experience. All I seem to take from your posts are sadness.

If only there were an english full version of Gravity Rush available somewhere..

After playing the demo, I want to play that more than anything else at the moment.

patsu

2012-02-17-133027.jpg

2012-02-17-133702.jpg

I just wish Gravity Rush had better resolution/AA, then the visuals would have been perfect. But I still love it. I really hope it release in March in US

Hey, Media Molecule ! LBP for Vita should allow us to do simple levels/presentation like the comic strip layout above. I doubt people will create extensive 2.5D exploration/safari trips on Vita.

I would use LBP Vita to create gadgets/tools/objects/soup for LBP2 levels on PS3, or sharing my own story books/comic strips with my friends, or sending interactive greeting cards to my friends and family during holidays. That sort of things ! Thank you and here's $40. 8^P

Your certainly having a rough vita experience. All I seem to take from your posts are sadness.

Nah... she's alright. I think her "slow backup" feedback is probably one of the most important to Sony.

Lord Error

Insane For Sony
Lots of love, quality of the hardware is amazing. A bit of "launch goggles" on like with every system. The games are pretty good for a system launch but will be looked back on as average. Still everyone thats bought one early seems to be happy with there purchase. We will see in 6 months if its just a honeymoon or if its a lasting feeling.
Lumines ES, Super Stardust, Rayman will never be looked back as average. While Uncharted GA may not be 100% up to par with the PS3 outings in every way, it's mindblowing by handheld game standards.

frequency

Maybe go out and try HSG at one of the demo stations?

I haven't seen any in my city.

Mine sort of felt like that until I started messing with on where to press it. Try applying pressure to the most outer part of each trigger, then the center, then the inner part. After I did that, it seemed even more "even" in terms of one feeling easier to press than the other. In all honesty, I haven't even felt a bother while playing a game and using them so I suspect maybe either mine isn't an issue or I've broken it in. It wasn't an issue out of the box or anything though, not for me.

Well, the thing is that the left one and the right one take different levels of pressure from each other. I played some stuff with it yesterday to see if I notice, and I don't know if it's because I'm always thinking about it or what, but it feels like it doesn't take the button press when I think it should. And it's only the right trigger. Left seems to be fine. I don't know... I can press it a lot later and see if it loosens it up or whatever.

Play Welcome Park's back touch portion to see if it's just HSG.

That's just the bottom of the touch pad though isn't it? Tapping the colour to make it fly up through the rings. I'm worried about the top of my touch pad.

Try the Little Deviants demo. It has a minigame where all you use is the rear touch. Use that as a test.

As for Hot Shots Golf, are you sure you're not accidentally placing more than one finger on the rear touch pad? Sometimes I forget, the way I hold the Vita, that part of my other hand is resting on the rear touch while I prod uselessly with my other hand. In the case of HSG, the rear touch doesn't seem to activate if you have multiple fingers on it, it's kinda finnicky in that way, in my experience.

I'll try that demo when I get home. Thanks.

I've tried two Vitas so far, and with both of them I have to press the shoulder buttons slightly harder than it takes to make them depress for them to activate.

It's just one of the buttons though, not both.

You weren't here when I first got my Vita a little over a week ago. I was as excited as everyone else here. But after some more time with it, I've stopped being "OOOOOH SHINY" and started noticing the problems.

Nah... she's alright. I think her "slow backup" feedback is probably one of the most important to Sony.

:)

I guess my recent posts make me seem very negative on the Vita...

injurai

Banned

I remember thinking the same thing about some of the 360 launch titles. Of course Rayman Origins will hold up since its 2d, but I'm sure we will get to see some amazing advances for this system of the coming years.

There is absolutely no chance that anyone looks back on SSD Delta as an average game.

I'm already thinking about my next project ! Like mounting Vita on a sentry gun platform to defend my vegetable garden against rodents, stray cats and birds.
If you really want to protect your vegetable garden from rodents, targeting obligate predators like cats is a really bad idea...

So I can't read 300 pages. What is the general consensus on Vita here? I am itching to buy one next tuesday.

System is awesome, launch lineup is great, worth the $$, worth the wait, buy it!

Now that I've had two full days to play around with my Vita, I would like to say the following:

OMG OMG OMG OMG OMG

THIS IS THE GREATEST HANDHELD SYSTEM IN THE HISTORY OF GAMING

{...hyperbolic snip...}

Seriously, the Vita is amazing. I love it.

It is just jaw-droppingly cool, isn't it? :)

Cool story, bro.

Posted from PS Vita.

LOL XD

LiquidMetal14

hide your water-based mammals
God, 3GB taken by shit system settings that probably are 100MB in total.
At least it will cover a lot of major FW updates in the future. I hate that too btw. I would rather have my space!

Easily the best OS of any game console. There I said it.
There's no shame in saying that. It's far and beyond what any other gaming platform is doing. And things like sifting through reading materials like manuals or books are as easy and intuitive as a Kindle Fire (my father in law has one and it's pretty cool).

It could be worse. You could have ordered a FEB unit!

You got something to say as I stroke my FEB unit?!?!?!

- J - D -

Can you show % for battery life? If not, that's shitty.

That's one thing I REALLY WANT. I'm spoiled by Apple and other phone companies in this regard. Nintendo and Sony have gotta implement this.

Without it, I have to go by my calculation of "20 minutes after the low-battery warning pops up" to know when my Vita will die, and that's not very accurate.

patsu

Can you show % for battery life? If not, that's shitty.

I don't think I saw a numeric battery indicator. So yes, it has a shitty battery indicator, or rather NO battery indicator beyond its simple graphical representation.

That's one thing I REALLY WANT. I'm spoiled by Apple and other phone companies in this regard. Nintendo and Sony have gotta implement this.

Without it, I have to go by my calculation of "20 minutes after the low-battery warning pops up" to know when my Vita will die, and that's not very accurate.

I remember you can set the number of minutes left for the battery warning to pop-up.

Gen X

Trust no one. Eat steaks.
Easily the best OS of any game console. There I said it.

There's not really much competition to compare it to. I'd rate it as a mid-tier OS compared to smartphone devices but that's not it's specialty so it's unfair to judge it that way. Compared to other game consoles it's a completely different ball game. It's far more advanced than anything before it, PS3, 360, or 3DS.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom