• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Playstation Vita western launch thread | It only does everything, everywhere.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Just got $40 in PSN credit and I don't know what to buy there are too many good games. This is not a common system launch problem.

Rayman, Hot Shots, Uncharted, UMVC3, Escape Plan, Super Stardust? ... ugh! So hard!

addyb

need a little advice as to what to do. I have a 25$ gift card to target and was planning on taking advantage of their B2G1 deal but ive run into a problem, Ridge Racer isnt a launch title anymore and the only other game i really want is VT4. so here is my situtuation.

i could get:

VT4, Army corps, and F1 2011 all for 55$

or

just get VT for 15$

Thing is i heard AC was meh and nothing to special which is why i feel like it will drop down in price quickly, F1 2011 i have heard nothing about and i have no idea how it plays or feels on the vita but 3 games for 55 is a very good deal but i dont want to buy them just for the sake of the deal. Every other game that i want i have, no those are the last 3 games on my list.

I would also like impressions of VT4 as well. Particularly the career mode.

Wario64

works for Gamestop (lol)
The free Fury/HD DLC for 2048 is for both physical and digital copies, right? Wonder how all this will work out.

patsu

It would be great if some of you guys could add me to your friends list, since I don't know anybody that is for sure going to get a Vita. PSN ID is on my profile.

I'd love to add some more people but my list is full oredi. Another 100 friend slots, at least for PS+ or Vita users please !

It is.

As I said before, I spayed mine with cologne in each layer on launch day, let it sit a day, redo, and it's sitting there until I can gauge it again. It doesn't smell like 3 week old gym socks a la carte anymore though!

I'm still letting mine air out. I'm going to try the baking soda thing and if that does't help I'm throwing it out and finding something else.

Ken

It would be great if some of you guys could add me to your friends list, since I don't know anybody that is for sure going to get a Vita. PSN ID is on my profile.

Added. Could always use more friends. :D

PSN: nya_08

If anyone else wants to add me, feel free. Online games that I have are UMvC3 and HSG.

LiquidMetal14

hide your water-based mammals
The free Fury/HD DLC for 2048 is for both physical and digital copies, right? Wonder how all this will work out.

I thought it was only digital but I really don't care since they can see that I own it all as it's tied to my account.

The cool part is how Sony has given the game away like 2-3 times for Plus members I believe.

IMACOMPUTA

Anyone waiting to take advantage of retail discounts this weekend -

You can do what I did. Buy the games you want at Walmart for full price/no discount, and then when you buy them from target, etc. Return the unopened target copies to Walmart with your Walmart receipt.
This is, of course, If you have the extra money laying around.

frequency

If you really want more people on your list, be active and add some people instead of waiting for invites. Most people just post their ID then sit there waiting for invites, so you won't get many that way.

Quote this post to see a link to the spreadsheet we've been using for Vita users to share PSN IDs

We're hiding it in quotes because the first one that was up had some trolls go in and delete everything. This way only gaffers can see it.

Salaadin

The smelly case talk is hilarious.

I was watching a youtube video Wednesday night and knew about the smelly case beforehand. I get to this unboxing video of the FEB and when he gets to the case, he says "And woah, that smells kinda weird" and I just lost it. He sounded so confused.

Takao

Banned

You'll have to use an online pass for the physical model so that'll link your account to the game where it can view the fact that you've purchased HD, and Fury.

Duxxy3

I got a few minutes of hands on at gamestop earlier and came away less than impressed.

I think the system is too large, even though the screen looks nice. The d-pad felt loose and cheap. The face buttons were too stiff and unlike any other PlayStation buttons. The analog sticks had about as much throw as the d-pad. They also felt fairly cheap and reminded me of the N64 analogs a little. I also have a concern that they will have durability issues.
The L and R buttons felt fine though.

For a $250 or $299 system it felt cheap. They obviously put a lot of money into the screen and internals.

DMeisterJ

Banned
For what its worth, Im actually unhappy with my Crystal Case. It just doesnt hold things very well and can actually pop open at the slightest fall. I havent been able to test it with a Vita yet (I get mine on Wednesday) but I dont think its built good enough to provide enough protection.
I don't really like any of the cases available for the Vita. I really wanted the soft one in the Starter kit, but not for 40 bucks with stuff I won't use. I'm hoping Logitech makes a PGP like they did for the PSP.

KalBalboa

Banned
Anyone waiting to take advantage of retail discounts this weekend -

You can do what I did. Buy the games you want at Walmart for full price/no discount, and then when you buy them from target, etc. Return the unopened target copies to Walmart with your Walmart receipt.
This is, of course, If you have the extra money laying around.
Help me out here: what's the benefit of doing that? To get the games earlier?

Eusis

Looking back at some somewhat older posts... people seriously think the way saves are handled can be attributed to anti-piracy measures? I call bullshit on that because:

- You can STILL back up the data chunk onto your PC/PS3. The data IS there for someone to play with and thus it's exposed anyway, at most it's not as easy to share and harder to get into.
- Even if you could only back up one large file, why the hell does the APPLICATION to be bundled with it? Pending some save-to-cart games most retail games shows you can have a discrete chunk of data for saving and whatever else that alone could be backed up with the core application kept separate. Whatever security they hoped to gain from a DD title being FULLY backed up is immediately moot in light of its retail equivalent not needing/being unable to do the same thing.
- None of that can explain being unable to manage them within the Vita at the very least. Or just... leaving the save data behind and allowing you to delete an application alone. Neither are exposing the system or its files to hacking from a computer, so why not provide it?

I seriously think this is more copying a part of Apple's design that had no NEED to be copied rather than a legitimate anti piracy measure. At best piracy's partially to blame, likely for the part where save files can't be individually backed up.

patsu

Looking back at some somewhat older posts... people seriously think the way saves are handled can be attributed to anti-piracy measures? I call bullshit on that because:

I seriously think this is more copying a part of Apple's design that had no NEED to be copied rather than a legitimate anti piracy measure. At best piracy's partially to blame, likely for the part where save files can't be individually backed up.

Eh... it can be both. There are some advantages to the iOS approach. And yes, it also has security-related reasons and implications, not necessarily anti-piracy alone.

Okay, up until now, I have't been too impatient waiting for Tuesday night/Wednesday to arrive to get my Vita, but now that the weekend is almost here, I'm wishing I had it in hand. I've also gone from wanting only 1 or 2 games to now considering 4 or 5.

I'm ready for my new toy now!

Bebpo

Banned
When you look at your friend's list and they have game themed backgrounds behind their info. How do you do that for yourself? Is it showing the wallpaper/theme that player is running as of the last time they went online? What happens when you have a different theme in your PSP/Vita/PS3 on the same account?

frequency

- You can STILL back up the data chunk onto your PC/PS3. The data IS there for someone to play with and thus it's exposed anyway, at most it's not as easy to share and harder to get into.
- Even if you could only back up one large file, why the hell does the APPLICATION to be bundled with it? Pending some save-to-cart games most retail games shows you can have a discrete chunk of data for saving and whatever else that alone could be backed up with the core application kept separate. Whatever security they hoped to gain from a DD title being FULLY backed up is immediately moot in light of its retail equivalent not needing/being unable to do the same thing.
- None of that can explain being unable to manage them within the Vita at the very least. Or just... leaving the save data behind and allowing you to delete an application alone. Neither are exposing the system or its files to hacking from a computer, so why not provide it?

Whatever the reason, it just seems like a core design thing. People noted it could be fixed in firmware updates, but I'm not sure they would - even if it can be. Because yeah... really seems like a design thing. But eh. I feel like I've whined about it enough for now. I'm sure when people start to hit that 32GB limit, we'll see more complaints.

At least, I hope there will be an outcry. And that it's enough to force a change.

When you look at your friend's list and they have game themed backgrounds behind their info. How do you do that for yourself? Is it showing the wallpaper/theme that player is running as of the last time they went online? What happens when you have a different theme in your PSP/Vita/PS3 on the same account?

Those are Panels.

Go into Settings > PS Network

The art doesn't carry over to the PS3. Colour does though.

IMACOMPUTA

So, I used the little mobile connect ( or whatever its called) application on the Vita to sign up for 3g.. Am I screwed? It said nothing about a promo/free game/free month

Just played my first online match in Virtua Tennis, the lag ruined it. I'm hoping it's just because I was playing someone with a horrible connection, but it was not enjoyable at all.

So, I used the little mobile connect ( or whatever its called) application on the Vita to sign up for 3g.. Am I screwed? It said nothing about a promo/free game/free month

I'm wondering about this as well.

Mims

Ok just got my vita today and it won't connect to the internet to pull a system update via wifi or being connected to the computer. Tried to setup datapass everytime it loads the form for it, its just a disfigured mess. Any solutions?

They're Panels. There's a list with all available one listed in the media section of the OP. I suppose you select them from your profile settings.

jcutner

Anyone successfully purchased from PSN/SEN today? It's completely refusing all attempts at making a payment my end, and want to confirm if its their network or something my end.

Are you getting NP-2244-2? Can you buy anything else/add funds to your wallet? If not, welcome to the club.

Ken

Anyone with a VITA got a MadCatz ArmorShell ?

Saw it at Gamestop today for $12.99 and was wondering about the built quality.

Nope, but I have the Hori TPU shell. Here's what it looks like on my Vita.

f2e06c7a.jpg

B.K.

Do you have to use the touch screen to start games? I know the demo version forces you to use the touch screen for everything, but I was hoping that was something Sony had set in the options menu of the demo units. I really don't want to use the touch screen every time I want to select and start a game. It's going to get too many fingerprints on the screen.

frequency

They're Panels. There's a list with all available one listed in the media section of the OP. I suppose you select them from your profile settings.

Oh hey, those are my screenshots!
That makes me feel better about taking them. With how fast this thread was going, I thought all that would've been lost after a page.

LiquidMetal14

hide your water-based mammals
Nope, but I have the Hori TPU shell. Here's what it looks like on my Vita.

f2e06c7a.jpg
The only problem with that is the extra corners and stuff that dust will get into. It will only be inevitable unfortunately.

I love my Skinomi front screen film. It's almost all dissipated abotu 1 1/2 days after I put it on.

I hope I will not get a smelly case..
Trailer trash shoe fire smelling master race representing here!

Not after my deluxe cologne treatment but ehhhhhhhhhhh.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom