• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Playstation Vita western launch thread | It only does everything, everywhere.

Status
Not open for further replies.
I got a few minutes of hands on at gamestop earlier and came away less than impressed.

I think the system is too large, even though the screen looks nice. The d-pad felt loose and cheap. The face buttons were too stiff and unlike any other PlayStation buttons. The analog sticks had about as much throw as the d-pad. They also felt fairly cheap and reminded me of the N64 analogs a little. I also have a concern that they will have durability issues.
The L and R buttons felt fine though.

For a $250 or $299 system it felt cheap. They obviously put a lot of money into the screen and internals.

Looks like you played a unit that got raped by a couple hundred people that go in and out of Gamestop every day.

addyb

Ok just read the destructoid review of escape plan. Yes I know Jim can be a bit of a dick but can gaffers confirm are the controls bad for it? Kind of put off buying it next week now.

darkside31337

Tomodachi wa Mahou
I put a drier sheet into my FEB case and let it sit for around 24 hours and the smell went away. Probably won't use it though, since I already have more than 4 games. It's silly that the case only has 4 game slots.

Yep. Have had my dryer sheets in for 2 days now and it's definitely helped.

But the 4 slots for games is pretty stupid. I'll be using it though because the little pouch on top can definitely hold one of the little games cases inside of it.

TheNatural

My Member!
There's no way I'm dropping the amount to get one of these currently, but for future reference, how does it do with online features and does it have a Skype app right now? Online ,can you play Flash or anything like that to watch streams?

so guys if I buy two memory cards, I can switch them on the go depending on what I need to access without hassle right?

No, you need to factory reset the system to switch between PSN accounts. It does nothing to the memory card, so you can keep data from multiple accounts there.

no_to_co

Yep. Have had my dryer sheets in for 2 days now and it's definitely helped.

But the 4 slots for games is pretty stupid. I'll be using it though because the little pouch on top can definitely hold one of the little games cases inside of it.

Ok, trying the dryer sheet fix over the long weekend. I hope that the case is fine by Tuesday.

Prozel

Ordered this package some time ago, mostly for the screen proctector and case, but the pen is a nice touch and the headset is propably okay in case of emergency. Quite cheap.

Linkey

DomGTAB

Neo Member
Sony is refusing to fix the smelly case! I wrote an email and also called customer service, even talked to a supervisor. Their answer: we do not deal with cases and there fore you should return the whole FEB to where you bought it. Since I already activated ATT on it and applied the screenprotector and I do not want to be without the PS Vita for a week, I guess I am keeping it and throwing the case away.

Sony, again, shows that they have the worst customer service in the industry. This would never happen with Nintendo or Apple!

Is this a joke?

DenogginizerOS

BenjaminBirdie's Thomas Jefferson
Just tried to preorder at Best Buy here in NC and was turned away. They have sold out of their preorder allotment evidently. Had to go to GameStop. On the plus side, GameStop told me I would be getting a free 4GB card with my WiFi Vita. That is a bonus.

B.O.O.M

No, you need to factory reset the system to switch between PSN accounts. It does nothing to the memory card, so you can keep data from multiple accounts there.

I don't want to switch my psn account. Just for example say I have memory card that has escape plan (inside the system) and another has hot shots golf. I can just take out the one I am using now, insert the other and play the game that's on that card right?

I don't want to switch my psn account. Just for example say I have memory card that has escape plan (inside the system) and another has hot shots golf. I can just take out the one I am using now, insert the other and play the game that's on that card right?

Yes, if the content was bought using the same PSN account, and that account is active on PS Vita. Only then it will work.

Just tried to preorder at Best Buy here in NC and was turned away. They have sold out of their preorder allotment evidently. Had to go to GameStop. On the plus side, GameStop told me I would be getting a free 4GB card with my WiFi Vita. That is a bonus.

Put this together with what Amazon is doing in Europe (free 8GB card with Vita) and in vast majority of cases you can go without the need to buy a memory card. Damn, one less thing for people to complain about. Vita 1/2 DOA?

Eusis

Eh... it can be both. There are some advantages to the iOS approach. And yes, it also has security-related reasons and implications, not necessarily anti-piracy alone.
I figure there's probably concerns over trophies or just a virus infection, but I figure that at the least a core file (same as retail games that need memory cards currently have) could be standard across all titles and an app provided that lets you comb through said core file to remove saves would be enough for most people. Also an option to hide bubble of games not on the system currently because seriously, what the hell? I imagine the first one won't be easy to fix though, even if the other two are probably easy enough to address in an update.

Whatever the reason, it just seems like a core design thing. People noted it could be fixed in firmware updates, but I'm not sure they would - even if it can be. Because yeah... really seems like a design thing. But eh. I feel like I've whined about it enough for now. I'm sure when people start to hit that 32GB limit, we'll see more complaints.

At least, I hope there will be an outcry. And that it's enough to force a change.
Yeah, annoyingly enough this stuff usually has some logic to it and isn't just a careless oversight. Still, I'm hoping some of it was just "we thought consumers preferred this" only to be shown that, no, they really do not prefer stuff handled THIS way exactly. And part of why it usually flies on iOS anyway is because most of the really popular games are lightweight, arcade-y stuff anyway that don't take up much space and aren't as big of a tragedy to lose the file for like a massive RPG. But hell, there's enough of the latter on the market anyway, and it's still annoying to have restart something like Angry Birds just because you deleted the app one time.

you will want to turn the Vita off before switching the memory cards but yes you can.

Anno

Just got everything set up and ready to go! About to fire up Some Hot Shots and lose my life for the weekend. The hardware is really solid and the OS is super surprisingly responsive and nice. Overall I'm quite impressed so far.

Only problem: I don't have any friends! This is my first Sony product that really uses PSN. So please GAF, add me in if you want to. User name is Debreck.

By the by, is there a thread for PSN usernames? Or does that Google doc still exist?

undecided

Chorazin

OK, I can confirm that Near will access the GPS for location data when 3G is off and wifi is not connected. Pulled up near when I got home tonight, it had an entry for 7:46 am when I was driving through the city on my way to work.

Pretty cool that it works exactly like I hoped it would, this was the main reason I wanted the 3G version.

- J - D -

What's the consensus on a screen protector? What's the best one? Is the hori one good?

Hori if you want to cover the entire face of the the Vita, Sony's if you want to cover just the screen. Sony's only selling theirs in a 2-pack, btw, so it's a bit more expensive.

TheExodu5

Banned
I'm pretty sure the Wi-Fi version has a GPS device as well. Either that or it's scary accurate at picking up where I am through wi-fi.

Wiki page says it has none...I guess I should believe it. Still, it's way more accurate at determining my location than my iPhone is with GPS turned off.

Hori if you want to cover the entire face of the the Vita, Sony's if you want to cover just the screen. Sony's only selling theirs in a 2-pack, btw, so it's a bit more expensive.

Sony's protector also doesn't fit at the back by default, you need to trim it.

I'm pretty sure the Wi-Fi version has a GPS device as well. Either that or it's scary accurate at picking up where I am through wi-fi.

Why wouldn't it be accurate? It's pinging hotspot you are connected to.

patsu

There's no way I'm dropping the amount to get one of these currently, but for future reference, how does it do with online features and does it have a Skype app right now? Online ,can you play Flash or anything like that to watch streams?

Come back when you're more ready ! There are too many things to list and talk about in one post. ^_^

Skype app has been announced but not released yet.

Adobe has stopped Flash development for all mobile devices. So no Flash unless Sony made private arrangement with Adobe.

PaulLFC

Is your wife a cyborg? If so, let me know what model she is.
KuGsj.gif

RoylAsult

i prob shouldnt post this here but idk where else to, anyways.

i have a question about some of the trophies in fifa. what exactly are the specialities? like Playmaker Speciality. how do you do them?

Liquid_015

Gold Member
I just bought one of these Hori Silicone Gel covers off Ebay the other day. Love the feel of it. \

Also love that the PS button is covered so I won't be annoyed by that blue light constantly on.

PDgit.jpg

ZSzn6.jpg

And I'll love it even more when my Vita arrives!

*sadface*

That's the exact case I got! NICE. Now, I'm looking for a pouch. -__-''

patsu

Anybody else getting a NW-5603-4 when trying to do a system update over wife or through a pc?

According to the error codes here:
http://www.vitadevwiki.com/index.php?title=Error_Codes

Your connection timed out. Check Settings > System > Error code history, and your network settings to make sure basic network (to PSN) is ok.

I did a quick google, someone said they fixed their problems by rebooting their own router. No harm rebooting your Vita to see if it makes any difference too.

DenogginizerOS

BenjaminBirdie's Thomas Jefferson
Order Wi-Fi Vita: Check
Order Hot Shots Golf, Rayman: Check
Order Screen Protectors: Check
Order a Memory Card: Sort of (4GB Freebie)
Order Thrustmaster VIP case from Zavvi: Check

Obtain Lumines: Cart or Download?

no_to_co

Is this a joke?

No joke: This is what I got in an email: " I apologize that your PlayStation®Vita case has a strange smell. I hope you can accept my deepest apologies for any frustration or inconvenience this has caused you. Unfortunately, since we do not sell the PS®Vita units directly to consumers, we cannot handle exchanges or returns directly. Please contact your retailer for an exchange or return." I got the same on the phone from a supervisor at customer service.

Since I already signed up for ATT on the Vita and attached a screen protector I would be out $35 at least, plus I would need to wait for the 22nd to get a new unit since the FEB ones are out of stock.

Wiki page says it has none...I guess I should believe it. Still, it's way more accurate at determining my location than my iPhone is with GPS turned off.

It's just pinging WiFi access point to try to get a fix on your location but it's much less accurate than GPS, and you need some sort of access point to find in order to grab that info. GPS is definitely not in the 3G version. Sounds like the first perk of having the 3G model is already out there though. Helps justify the theory on the purchase.

patsu

Sorry for the double post, but do you know how much we have to trim it by?

About half an inch. Depending on how picky you are, I stuck the entire sheet of protector to the back touch, took an estimate of how much I need to cut away, and snip the thing in 2 straight strokes using a big pair of scissors. Turned out well for me. Your mileage may vary. ^_^

i prob shouldnt post this here but idk where else to, anyways.

i have a question about some of the trophies in fifa. what exactly are the specialities? like Playmaker Speciality. how do you do them?

The specialities are player traits. They are specific to an individual player(s).
E.g John Terry has the 'Aerial Threat' speciality. Anelka has the 'Poacher' speciality.
To see what speciality (if any) a player has, pick the player and cycle through the player's attributes.

And yeah, though I didn't mind responding, probably should pose the question(s) in a FIFA for PS Vita thread (is there one?).

Liquid_015

Gold Member
About half an inch. Depending on how picky you are, I stuck the entire sheet of protector to the back touch, took an estimate of how much I need to cut away, and snip the thing in 2 straight strokes using a big pair of scissors. Turned out well for me. Your mileage may vary. ^_^

I'm sorta picky because it's quite an investment, but are you also covering the "PS Logo/Serial Number" area that is right beneath the touch pad? Also, is the screen protector difficult to cut?

Thanks!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom