• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

PlayStation VR Thread 2: Reloaded

MattAces

Media Molecule interview. Very recent interview too.
How has it been working with Sony? Obviously, Sony's a platform holder, so for them it's really important to have interesting experimental games, and they have to support that kind of thing. Are they very hands on?
We are a very proud studio, it's such great company to be in. From the beginning, they have held our hand. Sony people aren't here every day, but we have Shuhei [Yoshida] visiting next week. We were just presenting with Sony in LA a couple of weeks ago. When you're a Worldwide Studios team, the deal is you have to make things that really help show off what PlayStation is all about. We work really hard to make sure we do that. All through the relationship, they've been really supportive of what we're doing. Shuhei has been a really incredible supporter of Dreams, and saw the potential of it right at the beginning – he's been a great advocate there. He really, really wants us to get it out to the community, and we're working very hard to do that.
Has the VR element been really interesting to people in the studio?
It's amazing. Seeing people create in Dreams in VR is amazing, and being able to wander through those worlds is amazing. It's a total no-brainer for us to do that and to support it, because it's just awesome. Every visitor that comes to our house wants to try VR. People who have no other interest in games are like, "Let me see it," and then they are just always blown away.
Boom baby.
http://www.rollingstone.com/glixel/features/what-dreams-may-come-from-littlebigplanet-studio-w496165

MattAces

WzDiZeD.png

More info about this game: http://store.steampowered.com/app/509250/TO_THE_TOP/

It looks like a crazy fun climbing game.

MattAces

Awesome news!

Dreams in VR always seemed a no-brainer, but getting confirmation is great. Beta in 2017?

Most likely a re-announcement during Paris Game Show. This game deserve a huge spotlight now that it's also a VR game.
I would've been legitimately mad if they didn't support VR considering they already have Move implemented.
This might be the biggest PSVR game from first party.

Look at the freaking possibility things to do in this game: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_PNUVFYgI8w

Most likely a re-announcement during Paris Game Show. This game deserve a huge spotlight now that it's also a VR game.
I would've been legitimately mad if they didn't support VR considering they already have Move implemented.

There were some MM YouTube videos showing some of the artists sculpting using two Moves. The speed with which they were able to craft complex objects is amazing. I'm sure I saw one where the artist was toggling a sync mode by clicking the controllers together.

The immersion of VR with the versatile Move controllers, and a variety of curated and user-generated content: Dreams could be huge.

Josh378

Ok, Just played farpoint with VR Aim (thanks to wario64), This once again made me love VR again...after my test, im going to jump back on again...9/10 review!!!!

Cilidra

Look at the freaking possibility things to do in this game: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_PNUVFYgI8w

Dreams is certainly my most anticipated game in VR for sure. I can't wait to see all the creations people will do.

valeu

Anyone played Paranormal activity able to provide impressions? Length?

i just watched my neighbor play for an hour and a half. he is more patient than me with badly controlling games. still, it was extremely painful to watch. the controls, as he said and i observed, are the worst of any game ever because you can't move properly, leaving you often facing walls, and it's really slow which is tiring. like the paranormal activity movies, nothing happens for the first hour and a half. maybe something happens at the end, but he was so tired with the frustrating controls that he wasn't willing to wait and see. his final comment was: "how could this game get greenlighted with such awful controls? didn't the developers focus test? nobody would play this and say "wow, this game controls great!" if they fix the controls i'll at least finish it, but I like this I can't". and his score: "1 / 10."

DarkWish

Check the link I posted a page or two ago. The gamestop link works. My buddy ordered one yesterday and I got one in store!
Not working for me :(

EDIT: Oh snap. Just got one! Best Buy's website had it for store pick-up. Should arrive by Wednesday next week for pick-up!

kinggroin

Banned
Paranormal Activity VR is rough as all hell. I played it on Vive, and requested a refund ultimately. That shit needed a LOT of work.

Horseticuffs

Full werewolf off the buckle
PSVR Frank made PA look very frustrating in his first streaming session. I really enjoy the films but I could literally picture myself nodding off in the middle of playing it. Not my cup of tea, sadly. I was somewhere interested, and I wanted to ring in the spooky season too.

Finally started playing Until Dawn at least. Man, what a ride so far!

valeu

What exactly did you find rough about it? The trailers looked quite good to me.

it's rough on psvr in that the hit detection is bad. your hand goes through objects, you can actually put your head through doors and see what's inside. also, there are all these objects and home furnishings that look nice but you can't interact with any of them, but you have to try. for ex. out of all the furniture in three rooms maybe only one drawer can be opened but then there's nothing in the drawer. but you waste a lot of time, trying absolutely everything to figure out what might triigger the next part of the game so you can progress. you can pick up a note and read it but then other objects next to it can't be picked up. the game feels cheap, wait til it's on sale for cheap

Is anyone able to comment on GNOG and CastleStorm?

GNOG, I've only played the demo TBH. It's worth checking out.

CastleStorm is the same game it always was, so fun and entertaining. It plays exactly the same as before, but in VR it really comes alive. It's one of those games that doesn't actually need to be in VR, but equally once you've played it that way there's no going back.

valeu

Is anyone able to comment on GNOG and CastleStorm?

gnog is beautiful, like trippy interactive art and music. each head has different themes. there are puzzly elements but it isn't difficult. the game is short but sweet

castlestorm is like a cartoony midieval tower defense / angry birds. there is a TON of content, upgradable weapons, spells. a variety of different kinds of levels. in vr you can look all the way left from one castle to the other castle on the right. the 2d / 3d aspect is cool. and all cutscenes take place on the screen of a movie theater. your're sitting in a row w a drink and popcorn.

it's rough on psvr in that the hit detection is bad. your hand goes through objects, you can actually put your head through doors and see what's inside. also, there are all these objects and home furnishings that look nice but you can't interact with any of them, but you have to try. for ex. out of all the furniture in three rooms maybe only one drawer can be opened but then there's nothing in the drawer. but you waste a lot of time, trying absolutely everything to figure out what might triigger the next part of the game so you can progress. you can pick up a note and read it but then other objects next to it can't be picked up. the game feels cheap, wait til it's on sale for cheap

Damn, that's disappointing. It shouldn't have such a high price tag then. I guess that movie license was expensive.

castlestorm is like a cartoony midieval tower defense / angry birds. there is a TON of content, upgradable weapons, spells. a variety of different kinds of levels. in vr you can look all the way left from one castle to the other castle on the right. the 2d / 3d aspect is cool. and all cutscenes take place on the screen of a movie theater. your're sitting in a row w a drink and popcorn.

Maybe I'll get Castlestorm instead though. Sounds great.

Omerta

Australia people: I just got the Far Point Aim bundle in my local JBHiFi... old mate said he had ten in stock and they've got lots of them across the business.

thinking about picking up a few PSVR games. is there any good review sites for them? how are some of the older ones like Robinson The Journey, or Starblood Arena? and is PSVR World worth getting at all?

Burglekutt

thinking about picking up a few PSVR games. is there any good review sites for them? how are some of the older ones like Robinson The Journey, or Starblood Arena? and is PSVR World worth getting at all?

Robinson made me feel a bit off and I never had that happen with any other VR game(and I usually turn off a lot of comfort settings). What I played of Robinson wasnt very fun either.

From what I understand Starblood arena is fun but lacks single player content and has no online community so be prepared to play a lot of bot matches.

Since its price cut VR Worlds is a no brainer. London Heist and Dangerball are great games. The Deep is really great only once but is excellent for demoing. Scavenger has mixed reviews and Street Luge is garbage.

Joystick

Media Molecule interview. Very recent interview too.

YEAH!! This will be the real deal.

It was mentioned by one of the MM guys in a video interview with kinda funny games but I was always still wondering if it would eventuate.

My life is (will be) complete.

Surfheart

GNOG, I've only played the demo TBH. It's worth checking out.

CastleStorm is the same game it always was, so fun and entertaining. It plays exactly the same as before, but in VR it really comes alive. It's one of those games that doesn't actually need to be in VR, but equally once you've played it that way there's no going back.

gnog is beautiful, like trippy interactive art and music. each head has different themes. there are puzzly elements but it isn't difficult. the game is short but sweet

Thanks very much guys, looks like I'll be picking those two up!

Robinson made me feel a bit off and I never had that happen with any other VR game(and I usually turn off a lot of comfort settings). What I played of Robinson wasnt very fun either.

From what I understand Starblood arena is fun but lacks single player content and has no online community so be prepared to play a lot of bot matches.

Since its price cut VR Worlds is a no brainer. London Heist and Dangerball are great games. The Deep is really great only once but is excellent for demoing. Scavenger has mixed reviews and Street Luge is garbage.

cool, thanks for the pointers.

Gran Turismo Sport - Racing in PlayStation VR | PS4, PS VR
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cUG5cUjcy8g&feature=youtu.be

The plot thickens. There's CLEARLY more than 2 cars in game.
1v1 might be online only?

Yeah, it really weird because it looks nice and doesn't look comprimised at all with all those cars in the track and the player looking around.

Examples at 0:22, 0:25, 0:27 and 0:42 showing multiple cars and vr head movement at the same time.

What are you planning Kaz?

How much longer is the Ocean Decent full version compared to the demo?

On the PlayStation VR Worlds disc there are 3 versions of it. The shortest is the one on the demo disc, there's a second slightly longer one and then a third which about 10 minutes long.

The first 2 are quite gentle, the third is more "intense". ;)

I suspect Sony are being a little creative and using PS4 footage with some right thumbstick head movement to "represent" PSVR gameplay.

They did a similar thing with Driveclub VR IIRC.

https://youtu.be/BDcBRghzC3w

Much wider field of view than the VR version, plus the driver has arms which weren't in the VR version.

I'm not saying you're wrong. I don't want you to be. I want there to be more to GT Sport VR, but I hesitate to get too excited yet.

Planet

I bet my left nut that is just stupid Sony's PR low effort mixing 2D gameplay videos with footage of people wearing headsets, inadvertently fucking their target audience hard. Not even assuming they did it on purpose, can't tell which is worse...

MattAces

I suspect Sony are being a little creative and using PS4 footage with some right thumbstick head movement to "represent" PSVR gameplay.

They did a similar thing with Driveclub VR IIRC.

https://youtu.be/BDcBRghzC3w

Much wider field of view than the VR version, plus the driver has arms which weren't in the VR version.

I'm not saying you're wrong. I don't want you to be. I want there to be more to GT Sport VR, but I hesitate to get too excited yet.
I bet my left nut that is just stupid Sony's PR low effort mixing 2D gameplay videos with footage of people wearing headsets, inadvertently fucking their target audience hard. Not even assuming they did it on purpose, can't tell which is worse...

Yea, that was my initial thought too, but the graphic is clearly not on par with standard gameplay.
Also this, https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=m2vhH_h1m2Y

Haha I hadn't seen this post but just posted this in the GT:Sport thread and had a similar thought to you too.

Another puzzling video from Sony/PD

Released 3 videos today and the main one showcasing PSVR again shows more than just a 1 v 1 race

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cUG5cUjcy8g

I wonder if it's 1 v 1 online racing and multiple cars offline? I just don't get the confusing marketing for this.

Taker666

I really hope Dreams now has a first person option and also allows you to use the move controllers as hands to hold your own designed swords/guns/bats etc.

I know it seems to be 3rd person so far...but a first person mode would really open it up for VR. I'd love it if you could create your own Rush of blood style rail shooter.

MattAces

I really hope Dreams now has a first person option and also allows you to use the move controllers as hands to hold your own designed swords/guns/bats etc.

I know it seems to be 3rd person so far...but a first person mode would really open it up for VR. I'd love it if you could create your own Rush of blood style rail shooter.

Seeing how people created FPS game, side scrolling game and so much more with Little Big Planet, I'm sure it will feature a camera setting tool. Now we should hope for the created games can be played in VR, that will be insane.

*Splinter

I wish they would just properly implement PS4 UI in VR.
I think I read they've added stream comments to VR, which is a start. Didn't see anything about other notifications though.

Edit: actually I think notifications are in the quick access menu now? A slight improvement.

MattAces

I think I read they've added stream comments to VR, which is a start. Didn't see anything about other notifications though.

Edit: actually I think notifications are in the quick access menu now? A slight improvement.

Yea. That actually helps PSVR too, every single time in VR, a bunch of notification sound pops out, go back home menu just to see it was a controller notification.
But what I'm talking about is the home screen in VR, something like Oculus home.

*Splinter

Yea. That actually helps PSVR too, every single time in VR, a bunch of notification sound pops out, go back home menu just to see it was a controller notification.
But what I'm talking about is the home screen in VR, something like Oculus home.
Oh right, yeah that would be cool

The Solus Project is comin to PSVR.

I've played this with Vive and it's easily my favorite exploration game in VR by far. I wonder how it will look on Playstation as it was quite performance hungry on my 980ti.

If it isn't toned down too much, friends of exploration games should keep an eye on this game!

Still hoping for trophy notifications in VR... invites aren't out yet?

I'd be ok with it being optional. I like notifications in non-VR games, but I think that trophy notifications being overlaid in VR might be immersion-breaking.

I like the way that Polybius does it (with a fun sound effect too!), and I hear that Superhot integrates trophy notifications into the virtual world as notes. You get the info without having a chunk of system UI pop up in the virtual world.

Top Bottom