• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Playtonic removes JonTron from Yooka-Laylee.

Status
Not open for further replies.
And Josh Thomas continues to prove he is shit:

cxB5aR6.png

I swear to god, every time there's a controversy involving shitty/racist politics, this guy defends the bigot. I don't think I've ever watched any of his videos but I sure ain't ever watching it now.

So people still don't know that FREEDOM OF SPEECH IS FROM THE GOVERNMENT? NOT YOUR JOB OR A RANDOM PERSON TELLING YOU TO SHUT THE FUCK UP?

DO BETTER
Also, the American interpretation of it doesn't really apply in the UK where Playtonic is based.

And browsing a bit through Twitter, people are saying it is his "personal opinion" and shit and that he shouldn't removed from the game for that. Well, he wouldn't have been, if he kept his opinion personal instead of dumping it out to the whole world.

Mesoian

So people still don't know that FREEDOM OF SPEECH IS FROM THE GOVERNMENT? NOT YOUR JOB OR A RANDOM PERSON TELLING YOU TO SHUT THE FUCK UP?

DO BETTER

I mean. No, they don't.

These people learned about the first amendment through buzzwords on sitcoms.

Dont think I can morally watch your videos anymore since you are against racism and that in itself is racist, your videos were failing anyway since they were full of SJW, PC talking points.

Futurama-Fry.jpg

I'm of the opinion that a game developer should be allowed to make whatever creative decision they want.

I'm also of the opinion that Jon's views have been super, duper shitty.

I also really enjoy his video game comedy, and I wouldn't hate to hear him in the game.

But if it's getting patched out, that means the retail disc will have his VO in it, so the preservationist part of me is alright with that.

I'm still torn on enjoying his videos while vehemently opposing his views.

XeroSauce

I was joking if it wasnt clear. Literally seen these types of arguements.
Jon was just expressing his viewpoints, anyone that ahs a problem with it is the racist or is a SJW.

I really don't think disagreeing with someone makes me a racist. Or a SJW.
Unless you are joking again. Your posts aren't very clear.

Again, I'm gonna say that this is a stupid move, because it is just going to draw more negative attention to the game. Those that currently support Jon after his rant will take this to heart and poison the community even more. It's nothing but bad news.

It isn't even his voice. It's a bunch of garbled sounds. It was really unlikely that any casual buyer would know it was him.

Now a bunch of loud-mouths are going to shitpost to the extreme because he was removed, causing even more backlash.

LionPride

Banned
I'm of the opinion that a game developer should be allowed to make whatever creative decision they want.

I also really enjoy his video game comedy, and I wouldn't hate to hear him in the game.

But if it's getting patched out, that means the retail disc will have his VO in it, so the preservationist part of me is alright with that.

I mean if your fine watching a xenophobic, racist, cunt nugget do videos, hey...you do you.

XeroSauce

There's a point where you can separate artist from human, unfortunately for me, Jon blended those together too much now. He shouldn't have gone onto that Twitch stream. He shouldn't have made that FAQ. He's exposed himself too much now for regular viewers to just go back and watch him without thinking about all the negativity surrounding him.

Formless

Coincidentally a good excuse for me to unsubscribe from the BitBlock, which I haven't found compelling for a while. Same sort of thing happened with Jon's channel, I won't really miss their content of late.

Easy_D

never left the stone age
White people aren't a monolithic group, nor are anime avatars.
But that argument just boils down to "Not all [X]

But it's more like if a white person called out another white person for being white, or a black person calling out another black person for being black. That's what his post is like, just with anime avatars so it's not serious or anything. Again, not nearly as serious as that, but it's the exact same logic.
And is this a bad thing? Context matters.
The reality is that anime avatars on GAF come in many types. Some are even mods. Calling them out for liking anime enough to have an avatar with it is silly.
He wasn't calling them out for having an anime avatar, it's just that a ton of alt righters have anime avatars, he was implying he was some burner account. Not just on GAF, literally all over the internet.

Tetraeon

For some reason this just got me even more hype for Yooka-Laylee... something about good ethics and smart business management. Props to Playtonic.

GaimeGuy

Volunteer Deputy Campaign Director, Obama for America '16
Saying he expressed right wing views isn't telling the real story. He was pushing gor ethnic cleansing from the gene pool

I know you're disagreeing with Jon, but it sounds like you're painting a bunch of others with a wide brush. To go back to your first post, you mention "(collective) you can't make everything into a problem". This was a bit vague so I interpreted as both Jon AND his detractors being needlessly divisive. Did I interpret that incorrectly? (not being snarky now, just trying to parse this out).

Everybody seems kind of scared since the election(rightfully so), so this topic has been escalating more and more. Everybody is putting a stinkeye on it.

This is now the second YouTuber who has gotten in trouble for this type of thing in the last couple of months. YouTubers need to stay out of these politics. They are already obnoxious in my opinion, so it doesnt surprise me they have views i disagree with.

I dont know the best course of action right now, but I certainly dont think YouTubers should be getting involved with this. I think it only makes it worst.

Interesting. Destiny is arguing on twitter that this further alienates the other side and that this will make helping these people harder in the future.

I get where he's coming from, but definitely disagree. Jontron has no place in this kids game. Furthermore, him being able to preach these insane ideas without repercussion normalises it far too much.

I honestly find this pretty sad, to be honest.
Of course, I don't agree with anything that JonTron has said in his first video but in my opinion Playtonic could have been handling the situation in a different way.
Maybe with an official statement saying that they weren't ok with JonTron opinion, for example.

Interesting. Destiny is arguing on twitter that this further alienates the other side and that this will make helping these people harder in the future.

I get where he's coming from, but definitely disagree. Jontron has no place in this kids game. Furthermore, him being able to preach these insane ideas without repercussion normalises it far too much.

Who gives a fuck? It's obvious that Jontron is so far gone with his Stormfront bullshit that trying to 'help' him is pointless.

FyreWulff

Nah, it's fine. Right wingers view a non responses as "silent endorsement", so it helps when people speak up and go "nah, we don't support your ass."

This is an entire movement that tries to view nonwhite and women's issues as political so they can pretend they don't exist. Jon himself has dogged on women here and there but somehow got a pass for it constantly.

L Thammy

For some reason this just got me even more hype for Yooka-Laylee... something about good ethics and smart business management. Props to Playtonic.

These are industry veterans who are professional and take their craft seriously. A refreshing change of pace from YouTube "personalities" with more fame than competence and chucklefuck their way through PR nightmares and pathetic excuses at damage control.

I honestly find this pretty sad, to be honest.
Of course, I don't agree with anything that JonTron has said in his first video but in my opinion Playtonic could have been handling the situation in a different way.
Maybe with an official statement saying that they weren't ok with JonTron opinion, for example.

Um... This is the best and clearest way to say they're not OK with his opinion.

JackDT

After thinking about this for awhile, I feel very strongly... that I don't really care one way or another whether they drop his voice acting or not.

Hey guys I just wanted to drop in here and say that I don't know what this Jon guy said and I don't want to watch any videos of the debate or on the subject or read over transcripts or even summaries of what was said and am woefully ignorant on how free speech actually works from a legal perspective in the U.S. let alone the U.K. and I claim to have no political or emotional stake in the discussion but I think it's kind of scary that this guy was kicked from this project just for having an opinion. This seems like a real first amendment issue that this guy can't just have an opinion and not lose his job over it. Think about the damage this kind of censorship does to art and free speech. I think the answer is somewhere in the middle because being racist is bad but being too not racist is just as bad.

Everybody seems kind of scared since the election(rightfully so), so this topic has been escalating more and more. Everybody is putting a stinkeye on it.

This is now the second YouTuber who has gotten in trouble for this type of thing in the last couple of months. YouTubers need to stay out of these politics. They are already obnoxious in my opinion, so it doesnt surprise me they have views i disagree with.

I dont know the best course of action right now, but I certainly dont think YouTubers should be getting involved with this. I think it only makes it worst.

That makes more sense, sorry if I was being testy with you.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom