• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Playtonic removes JonTron from Yooka-Laylee.

Status
Not open for further replies.
You can be a jovial fun loving game guy YouTuber and not be a shithead, by the way. It sucks that so many of these people have revealed themselves to be shitheads, but there are still those out there who make fun videos and also don't think Mexicans are going to take over the US. Griffin & Justin McElroy and the rest of the Polygon crew comes to mind. The Giant Bomb Duders. The Best Friends. Hell, even Dunkey. I've heard good things about the post-Jonathan Tronathan Game Grumps. You don't have to stand for this shit and still get quality funny content.

I feel like the response the McElroy Brothers gave to a question in a recent interview is pertinent here. You don't have double down on being an asshole when someone criticizes something shitty you said.
PfTV5vf.png

Source: https://www.tvinsider.com/125590/mcelroy-brothers-answer-my-brother-my-brother-and-me-questions/

This isn't specific to JonTron per se, but if half the dudes making shitty statements on the internet, even if it was only ever intended as a joke, chose to act like that instead of doubling down, the internet would be a far nicer place. Maybe JonTron wouldn't have gone on a tirade at that guy who didn't like him saying the word "retard" all the time. Maybe Colin Moriarty would still be working with his friends. Maybe PewDiePie would still have his deal with Disney.

L Thammy

NeoGAF is center of the SJW hivemind. From here, the NeoGAF Queen births an army of Infectors. They escape to the outside world to find normal, red-blooded first amendment loving MAGA neofascists and infest them with their eggs, using them to birth True SJWs, terrible things that are immune to most weapons knows to man and can tear you in half before you can blink an eye. The NeoGAF barrier makes it difficult to enter their homeworld. Some people say that it's bad thing because it keeps the fascists from coming in and destroying the SJW menace, but they don't realize that it's the also only thing keeping the SJWs horrors in.

On a serious note, I'm wondering what's going on in Jon's mind right now. That calm response is kind of unnerving. If he didn't learn anything and perceived himself as being punished for no reason, I could see him being angry. If he was surprised at what happened and was questioning himself, I'd imagine he'd be sad and reflective. His response is just so straightforward and matter-of-fact. Is it that he's totally aware of how horrible his beliefs are and just doesn't care?

Vash63

This 100%. If Jon Tron did genuinely apologize in a big way, accepted the consequences and showed signs that he had changed as a person, I'd give him another chance. But I want none of this fake apologizing / shifting the blame to the media that Pewdiepie and other youtubers usually do (Boogie + TotalBiscuit looking at you). They need to accept ignorance, what God awful thing they said, be prepared to learn from it and apologize.

Did I miss something? What did Total Biscuit do to get lumped in with PewDiePie and JonTron?

NeoGAF is center of the SJW hivemind. From here, the NeoGAF Queen births an army of Infectors. They escape to the outside world to find normal, red-blooded first amendment loving MAGA neofascists and infest them with their eggs, using them to birth True SJWs, terrible things that are immune to most weapons knows to man and can tear you in half before you can blink an eye. The NeoGAF barrier makes it difficult to enter their homeworld. Some people say that it's bad thing because it keeps the fascists from coming in and destroying the SJW menace, but they don't realize that it's the also only thing keeping the SJWs horrors in.

heh

Dynasty

EvilLore is our queen?

aravuus

Did I miss something? What did Total Biscuit do to get lumped in with PewDiePie and JonTron?

Deflected like a fucking mirror

I don't know if that makes any sense lmao. But anyway, long story short: he made the Gizmodo piece about JT's debate to be the problem, not Jon's, you know, hardcore asshole views.

Mesoian

On the other hand, instead of ostracizing him from the community, a community in that he is a very big deal even now, proven by how much media attention this whole thing gave him, his friends and even his community should aspire to educate him and show him better. I don't agree with the notion that shitheads can't stop been shitheads. Some can't, of course, but I think everyone deserves a second chance if they are willing to take it.

I'd agree with this if this wasn't his 3rd or 4th racist or sexist tirade using a lot of vague talking points that ultimately don't make any sense. I gave him a second chance over the shit from gamergate. Hell, I gave him a second chance after the shit from the game grumps falling out.

This is happening too often for it to be a slip of the tongue and a momentary lack of mentality.

Guileless

Temp Banned for Remedial Purposes
Being tolerant does not mean tolerating poison. Anyone who uses the term "SJW" unironically or expresses any kind of alt-right (read: racist/sexist/homophobic/transphobic etc) sensibility should be cast out from society and shipped off to a small island. In space.

Amen.

"Therefore all they that devour thee shall be devoured; and all thine adversaries, every one of them, shall go into captivity; and they that spoil thee shall be a spoil; and all that prey upon thee will I give for prey."

Jeremiah verse 30, Chapter 16

On a serious note, I'm wondering what's going on in Jon's mind right now. That calm response is kind of unnerving. If he didn't learn anything and perceived himself as being punished for no reason, I could see him being angry. If he was surprised at what happened and was questioning himself, I'd imagine he'd be sad and reflective. His response is just so straightforward and matter-of-fact. Is it that he's totally aware of how horrible his beliefs are and just doesn't care?

Maybe he had lots of talks with friends and family and is slowly realizing that he crossed a line. Probably they told him that it's absolutely fine to be conservative (hell, even I agree with some of their points from time to time) but being a racist is not.
I hope he listens to his friends and comes to his senses soon. I mean some of his friends aren't even white americans (e.g. Hila and Jirard) what makes his rant even more crazy.

spineduke

Unconfirmed Member
Share something?

I saw comments about him just backing up Jon?

I think its accumulation of previous incidents - his involvement in GamerGate and other drama with some devs, so he's inadvertedly helped pushed sexist, racist and generally shitty behavior all round. I used to like his stuff, but the longer he's around the more I cannot help but notice how horribly toxic he is. I think he's self aware, but he exhibits some sort of weird self righteous self entitlement of how he's doing this for the greater good. Or something.

This but I also wouldnt put him in the same category as JonTron.

Not at all, but his enabling behavior can be far more damaging in the long run.

Dynasty

I think its accumulation of previous incidents - his involvement in GamerGate and other drama with some devs, so he's inadvertedly helped pushed sexist, racist and generally shitty behavior all round. I used to like his stuff, but the longer he's around the more I cannot help but notice how horribly toxic he is. I think he's self aware, but he exhibits some sort of weird self righteous self entitlement of how he's doing this for the greater good. Or something.

This but I also wouldnt put him in the same category as JonTron.

D

Deleted member 10571

Unconfirmed Member
Share something?

It was shared over I think four threads now. It's really not that hard to find, I can imagine people being quite annoyed over the regular "Yo I didn't bother to read up on stuff but I'll join the discussion regardless, please someone fill me in on everything" posts in all these threads.

NotLiquid

Share something?

"Hey guys, JonTron said some bad things but that's not important, let's talk about JOURNALISM"

If I may ask, what happened with Jon and Game Grumps?

There's a lot of speculation about whether something "bad" happened behind the scenes. About the most verifiable explanation that I remember since apparently Jon doesn't keep the reason a secret if you ask him personally (and since Maker prevents public infighting) was that they basically had a falling out over the direction Game Grumps was taking, and it was at a convenient time I suppose when Jon had better prospects for him in NY.

Mahonay

Banned
"Hey guys, JonTron said some bad things but that's not important, let's talk about JOURNALISM"

There's a lot of speculation about whether something "bad" happened behind the scenes. About the most verifiable explanation that I remember since apparently Jon doesn't keep the reason a secret if you ask him personally (and since Maker prevents public infighting) was that they basically had a falling out over the direction Game Grumps was taking, and it was at a convenient time I suppose when Jon had better prospects for him in NY.
Still don't know why the fuck he moved here if he's so concerned about keeping the white race "pure". Like half the people in this city are in relationships with partners of a different race. I wonder what his real life NYC friends would think if they heard about this shit? If you presented Jon's race argument out in the open here you'd likely get punched in the face.

L Thammy

It was shared over I think four threads now. It's really not that hard to find, I can imagine people being quite annoyed over the regular "Yo I didn't bother to read up on stuff but I'll join the discussion regardless, please someone fill me in on everything" posts in all these threads.

I'd rather they weren't so annoyed. I know we have to deal with a lot of burner accounts in these threads, but folk on KIA and 8chan and the like are more than happy to educate people on their conspiracy theories and rhetoric. You can see it through the repeat arguments. Whenever someone comes in here asking for information, that may be a genuine opportunity. In the last thread there was someone who got chewed out by multiple people even after they admitted that they were wrong and made a mistake.

I had the same problem with the Gamergate threads. If they keep playing dumb after they receive the explanation, then by all means, proceed to the aggression and mockey. They're not going to learn anything because they never had any intention to learn. But if it's that hard to make a positive effort, you can always just keep a link to informative posts in Notepad and post them when someone asks.

gngf123

On the other hand, instead of ostracizing him from the community, a community in that he is a very big deal even now, proven by how much media attention this whole thing gave him, his friends and even his community should aspire to educate him and show him better. I don't agree with the notion that shitheads can't stop been shitheads. Some can't, of course, but I think everyone deserves a second chance if they are willing to take it.

This is his 3rd or 4th outburst.

Plus, I keep on seeing people say this even after his 2 hour debate with Destiny. Destiny tried to do everything you just said - he tried to educate him, he tried to show statistics explaining where Jontron is wrong.

Jontron's response was literally "Naa, you haven't convinced me".

Fucker doesn't want to learn, he deserves everything he gets.

Boycotting something because it uses a white supremacist for marketing purposes is pathetic ?

Yes it is.

While I think Playtonic made the right decision, they could have removed the advertising with JonTron. JonTron is a douche no question, but just because Home Alone 2 has Trump in doesn't mean I'm going to stop watching it. It would be the their loss if they're boycotting it over that pathetic reason.

Buying a game with a character who's voiced by a dickhead doesn't mean I support his views. Grow up.

WillyFive

Yes it is.

While I think Playtonic made the right decision, they could have removed the advertising with JonTron. JonTron is a douche no question, but just because Home Alone 2 has Trump in doesn't mean I'm going to stop watching it. It would be the their loss if they're boycotting it over that pathetic reason.

Buying a game with a character who's voiced by a dickhead doesn't mean I support his views. Grow up.

Home Alone 2 came out a rather considerable amount of time before the 2016 election. If the movie was about to release and Trump said the things he said during the election, you can absolutely bet his scenes would have been cut.

L Thammy

Yes it is.

Other people making an ethical choice normally doesn't say anything about you at all, unless you're so self-centered that you have to make everyone else's actions a reflection on you. You've decided to act like the accused before anyone actually accused you of anything.

Carcetti

Yes it is.

You don't seem to understand how capitalism works. Everyone has a right not to buy anything and they don't need to grow up because of it.

Furthermore, when you buy a game with a dickhead in it, you are actually giving money and support to said dickhead who could be using that money and fame to actively make your life harder. Take someone like Orson Scott Card, whose fucked up views are not just views as he actively gives money to malicious organizations.

In JonTron's case the more opportunities he has to spread his inane white power fantasies, the worse our society becomes. If you decide to support it, that's your right, but understand that you can be called out on it. It's called real world, and it's a place where words and actions have consequences, unlike the safe spaces of 4chan and like.

Ms.Galaxy

Plus, I keep on seeing people say this even after his 2 hour debate with Destiny. Destiny tried to everything you just said - he tried to educate him, he tried to show statistics explaining where Jontron is wrong.

Fucker doesn't want to learn, he deserve everything he gets.

Yup, so far it seems once you fall into the Alt-Right, it's almost impossible to escape it because their belief on reality is that facts are "liberal propaganda" and "MSM lies". When an ideology makes its believers deny reality and factual information, any chance for discussion and education has been thrown out the window. You cannot rationalize with these people any longer.

Ash735

Furthermore, when you buy a game with a dickhead in it, you are actually giving money and support to said dickhead
On this note, didn't he do the voice work for free? Because he was such a fan of their older games and was very vocal about these games in his videos that they offered him a cameo.

I subscribe to the following gaming-related Youtubers:

Ashens
Austin Evans
Beta64
DidYouKnowGaming
Emma Blackery
GameXplain
Gaming Historian
Jim Sterling
Kim Justice
Larry Bundy Jr
Lazy Game Reviews
Lord Karnage
Nostalgia Nerd
pannenkoek2012 (and his other channel, UncommentatedPannen)
ThatOneShowFUN
The 8-bit Guy
The Easter Egg Hunter
Whatculture Gaming

Thus far, I don't believe any of those have revealed themselves to be shitheads (please inform me if they do).

Larry Bundy Jr is a known dickhead. Think he's a Gamergator too. I used to follow him before it became clear what his agenda was.

SalvaPot

Plus, I keep on seeing people say this even after his 2 hour debate with Destiny. Destiny tried to everything you just said - he tried to educate him, he tried to show statistics explaining where Jontron is wrong.

Fucker doesn't want to learn, he deserve everything he gets.

Destiny wanted to prove him wrong on the internet, that would only get JonTron flustered and double down. You don't confront a drug seller in front of a police officer by taking his weed and flaunting it around to get him arrested. Well, at least you shouldn't if you don't want him in jail.

But yeah, if he doesn't want to learn that is on him and him only. Its clear he was not prepared for that debate and he said irredemable stupid stuff he backed up with the first results he got from a google search. He was trying to win an internet argument and got his ass kicked because he has no idea was he is talking about.

Maybe he just needs better friends. It is true what they said about the kind of guy you are by the people you surround yourself with.

Sai-kun

Banned
Destiny wanted to prove him wrong on the internet, that would only get JonTron flustered and double down. You don't confront a drug seller in front of a police officer by taking his weed and flaunting it around to get him arrested. Well, at least you shouldn't if you don't want him in jail.

But yeah, if he doesn't want to learn that is on him and him only. Its clear he was not prepared for that debate and he said irredemable stupid stuff he backed up with the first results he got from a google search. He was trying to win an internet argument and got his ass kicked because he has no idea was he is talking about.

Maybe he just needs better friends. It is true what they said about the kind of guy you are by the people you surround yourself with.

the man is 27 years old

at some point in our lives, we start to choose the kind of person we want to be. it's not his friend's fault that he's a white nationalist piece of shit

Unfortunately when people have opinions like this they rarely "snap out of it" and do a 180 overnight. It's usually a gradual process if it happens at all. The best you can really hope for is him saying "you know, that was pretty stupid of me" a few years down the line.

Mahonay

Banned

This was not him just barfing out words. He doubled down on some of these ideas in his explanation video, and he has a long history before this of having abhorrent ideas.

Dude went on Breitbart and gave an interview about "fake media". He's a grown god damn man and knows what he's doing. No excuses. None. Fuck JonTron.

Bahorel

Yes it is.

Boycotting a game because a white supremacist was removed from the game is pathetic. Which is what's actually happening.

marrec

Banned
the man is 27 years old

at some point in our lives, we start to choose the kind of person we want to be. it's not his friend's fault that he's a white nationalist piece of shit

Not only that but Jon's been teetering down this road for quite some time. I'm sure someone behind the scenes has pulled him aside and been like "dude shut the fuck up about this stuff" or whatever and he's like "lol whatever I'm YouTube guy"

Lulubop

"Not defending"

D

Deleted member 284

Unconfirmed Member
Really? I'm going to need to see some receipts.

Never mind, just googled.

And removed the subscription.

Shit, I didn't know. Welp, time to purge youtube again.

nakedeyes

Banned
Still don't know why the fuck he moved here if he's so concerned about keeping the white race "pure". Like half the people in this city are in relationships with partners of a different race. I wonder what his real life NYC friends would think if they heard about this shit? If you presented Jon's race argument out in the open here you'd likely get punched in the face.
I was under the impression that NYC had a fair amount of white nationalists. Entirely from that Shia LeBeouf art exhibit thing lol

The only youtube channel I pay any attention to is James Rolfe and company, basically because I've been watching him since the early ANN videos. Those guys are OK, yeah? I mean Mike is a little...let's just say he's not exactly an intellectual but that's OK, he seems friendly and stuff,.

Carcetti

On this note, didn't he do the voice work for free? Because he was such a fan of their older games and was very vocal about these games in his videos that they offered him a cameo.

In JonTron's case it doesn't even need to be about money.

Let's say he was kept in the game. What would that tell to any black gamers who were waiting for Yooka-Laylee? That Playtonic is ok with White Power? He was done the moment he opened his mouth.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom