• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Playtonic removes JonTron from Yooka-Laylee.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Ew. Seeing this thread this feels more like pandering than something they would actually do out of their own choice. Removing a voice via "content patch" just leaves a terrible taste in my mouth. As much as I think Jon is being a piece of shit and have unsubbed and unfollowed him, I would think they'd be more sincere to leave it at that. Circumstances were different 2 years ago.

Ban Puncher

To be included in a new game made by the people who made your favourite titles in the past must of felt wonderful.

And then ya blew it.

IANICm.gif

Buckle

Pretty much this.
On a side note:
I dont agree with what jon said (im Iranian) but i also dont get the logic that his grunts in game would corrupt children or y the inclusion of said grunts would make ppl not want to play the game. Its just grunts lol.
Its not about what his character says, its about him being even included in the game at all.

You don't want a white supremacist attached to your colorful kid friendly platformer.

cw_sasuke

If all DLC came tied to $13 figurines, I'd consider all DLC to be free
Good...didnt even know that he was involved but its better that way.

So yeah freedom of speech doesnt mean no consequences.

Geek

Ninny Prancer
Pretty much this.
On a side note:
I dont agree with what jon said (im Iranian) but i also dont get the logic that his grunts in game would corrupt children or y the inclusion of said grunts would make ppl not want to play the game. Its just grunts lol.

Regardless of the nature of the voice work, there's no benefit to being associated with or seemingly endorsing this ... person.

Murkas

While wee are seeing a lot of youtuber really show their true colours it's kind of a broad approach to assume all youtubers are like this. For example PBG, supported the women's march and called out Jon for his shit.

That's a pretty wild assumption though.
There are way too many who do videos on YouTube for a living and only the lowest percentage of them are actually on the same level of JonTron in terms of ethical and political views.

For example, I wouldn't expect people like Jeremy Parish or Mark Brown to spew right-wing bullshit.

JonTron is a whole new level of stupid and sadly it unfolded only very recently.
I had great respect for the man because of his high quality videos, but sadly he just couldn't keep his super controversial and just flat out bad political views to himself, so all respect has been instantly deleted.

I don't think anyone wants to have anything to do with him right now. Not that I have any evidence for that, of course. It's just pure speculation on my part.

As I wrote in a post above, I hope this serves as a wake-up call for him.

Some, I assume, are good people. They're one of the good ones innit.

I wanna know how this is gonna get worded in the PS4 patch notes.

Ew. Seeing this thread this feels more like pandering than something they would actually do out of their own choice. Removing a voice via "content patch" just leaves a terrible taste in my mouth. As much as I think Jon is being a piece of shit and have unsubbed and unfollowed him, I would think they'd be more sincere to leave it at that. Circumstances were different 2 years ago.

You say pandering, I say listening to a market that doesn't want to buy games featuring voicework from racist YouTubers.

EDIT: Not to mention family friendly, all-ages games *with voicework from a known racist*

L Thammy

I was going to type out "I'm sick of video game developers pandering to SJWs", but then I remembered that I've probably read that exact statement more than once and people will take me seriously.

Pandy

TheRockApplauding.gif

Not a gesture they would have been expected to make given the game was already gold, but one that will be warmly appreciated by the community. Good move, Playtonic.

I didn't back this on Kickstarter and decided this morning not to buy it at all when I heard his voice was in it. I'm glad I can go back to planning on buying it when it's released on the Switch.

Brazil

Living in the shadow of Amaz

Pandering to people who aren't white supremacists? Outrageous!

Jon is a good voice actor, but his inclusion was also marketing and having his name attached to the game just is not a good look anymore. I agree with the developers that scrapping his feature is the best idea. The way he's been acting and talking lately does not jive at all with the game and the developer.

Good. You want to say stupid shit, I respect your right to say it. That doesn't mean you don't have to live with the consequences though. Good for Playtonic, gonna actually buy the game because of it too.

Maybe this is the type of loss he needs to experience to take a better look at himself and perhaps see how hurtful his views can be to others.

Maybe someday if that happens the community would welcome him back... I'd be open to it.

RionaaM

Unconfirmed Member
Good to hear! It's about time the gaming industry spoke against racism and xenophobia, instead of trying to avoid the issue. This shit should never be tolerated.

Pandering to people who aren't white supremacists? Outrageous!
Yeah. Why do non-white people think they are entitled to being treated as fellow human beings? Pfft, it'd be way more sincere to replace the other voice actors in the game with racists too!

(sarcasm, of course)

Jon's interview with destiny ranks among the dumbest shit I've seen on the internet lately. He went full Neo-nazi racist. Good on Playtonic to patch a white supremacist with an Iranian father out of their game. You couldn't make this shit up.

Even if this was pandering, why the fuck does that matter? White supremicists should get off scot free because you feel sad we enjoy consequences?

FyreWulff

But it is their choice. It has to be a patch because this game was likely already being pressed to discs before Jontron went and Jontronned.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom