• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Playtonic removes JonTron from Yooka-Laylee.

Status
Not open for further replies.
I can't help but feel a tad sad that this is gonna a "win win" situation for both Playtonic and Jon. Playtonic for obvious reasons, but with Jon he can now play the victim to his base to garner sympathy. Though really all that matters is that he isn't in YK anymore, good on Playtonic for taking a stance.

He's already been doing that

Good.

JT should learn that he can share any belief (as disgusting as his ones are), but that there are consquences about what you say in public.

L Thammy

First, the media went after JonTron.
Then, the fans went after JonTron.
Now video game developers are going after JonTron.
Who's next?

Can't the man just be hateful racist in peace?

Buckle

TB and Boogie rants soon..
Wouldn't surprise me.

Easier to try to shift the blame like they have been than admit to themselves that they're friends with a guy that uses "taints the gene pool" with a straight face.

God forbid being a hateful asshole have consequences.

While I am 100% for this decision, isn't the game really close to release? Do they have time to re-record? Couldn't they have pulled a Destiny and patch out his voice with someone else in an update?
In the case for the game Playtonic is making, wouldn't the voice actor only need to record a handful of lines, with said lines scrambled into smaller soundbytes?

Stitch

Gold Member
MpOrhFd.gif

JonTron restoration mod incoming

Kyuur

Oh great...let's just punish guy who is just feeling around with his ideas!

He's not being punished, they're just cutting ties. He would've been compensated under whatever agreement he recorded for them already. Perfectly fair.

ChrisD

Half the first page asking to replace with another Youtuber lol.

I don't think any company wants to use a gaming Youtuber right now.

IrishNinja

really glad to see this - i keep reading he didn't lose many subs, hoping disney drops the deal next. i know YT "celebrity" status is a nascent thing, but we need them knowing white supremacy doesn't fly.

Plum

『Inaba Resident』;232628653 said:
He's already been doing that

Yeah, of course, but this just gives him more ammo. He, sadly, won't feel the financial impact because on Youtube you aren't accountable in the way you are in most other jobs.

Peltz

I went from "wait and see" to "will buy" because of this move. I'm not 100% sold on the game, but appreciate this decision so much that I will give it increased benefit of the doubt.

Painguy

Play-Tonic is a business, and this shit with JonTron is bad for business, so at some point, whether or not they disagree with him, they have to cut him or they'll be seen as being involved with his mess as far as outside opinions are concerned.

Edit: But we'll obviously see people who get real angry about this, that's a guarantee.

Pretty much this.
On a side note:
I dont agree with what jon said (im Iranian) but i also dont get the logic that his grunts in game would corrupt children or y the inclusion of said grunts would make ppl not want to play the game. Its just grunts lol.

-EDIT-
To be more specific i dont quite understand how jon voicing 1 random character could cause a person to be unable to fucus on the game and only think about jon.

Brandon F

Well congratulations! You got yourself caught!
Backed the game and had no idea this was even part of the production effort. Glad they chose to remove him, I probably wouldn't have bothered playing it at all if I found out he was included after launch.

Good on them, and really smart move too. The last thing a new iP needs so close to release is any unmeccessary baggage that could dominate the narrative once the game comes out.

Hektor

That's what white supremacist toddlers call it these days? "Feeling around with ideas"?

It's normal for teens and young adults to experiment with themselfs to find their true identity, wether it is drugs, sexuality or white supremacism mixed with ethno-nationalism, teens gonna teens

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom