• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Playtonic removes JonTron from Yooka-Laylee.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Platy

We reached a point when most people think of racist they think of "ku kux klan burning a black dude" and forget that even small stuff can also fit the basic definition of racist.

It is like they are saying "I am not racist, I would never burn a black dude"

FyreWulff

I didn't even really want to say my age because now it's just become all about that but I didn't know how else to show properly that I didn't get the connection between the two things.

I wasn't the one who chose it. I'd have preferred something else but me not having a say in it was part of the condition for me using this site.

You've got good parents that care about what you're doing online. I'd say it's important to talk to your teachers and read up on the books and material they have, and make sure to read and interact with people of different backgrounds and race instead of just your own.

I mean, are there any statistics on how many people of our generation really buy into it? My impression is that it's not really that many; it's just that they tend to be loud.

Overall, millennials are the most liberal generation in recent memory. Part of the entire strategy conservatives have used with the demographic is to rely on the "oh wow, a conservative millenial!" reaction, as if they're so rare that they're nearly unicorns.

Eh, I've always thought it a bit pointless to try and assign political spectrum off age. Some of the more hardcore conservatives are the young Nintendo fans

PtM

Banned
Because they know they are racist.... and indulging that all these people might not be is exactly what gives I'm not racist but any power.
Uh... Didn't we just settle that any racist doesn't think they're racist? Well, especially but-racists do that.

Skyzard

Banned
Yes, no one likes being told they're behaving badly and engaging in racism. That's true. It's why it's so frustrating when so many people make excuses for them, because it allows them to keep believing they did nothing wrong. It's why JonTron is so baffled: he's got a ton of people telling him he's not really racist, and yet every time he tries to defend the same idea, he gets called racist.

Giving him the benefit of the doubt, particularly in cases where the racism is clear and unambiguous, not only tells JonTron that he doesn't need to change, it tells people of color that they aren't worth defending.

I agree. Labeling him as a racist is accurate and appropriate.

Explaining why, regardless of how stupid the idea is, furthers that cause.

So thanks for that :)

Uh... Didn't we just settle that any racist doesn't think they're racist? Well, especially but-racists do that.

Saying "I'm not a racist but" allows them, in their fantasy, to be say the things they know are racist while claiming to not to be racist...

By indulging them in their fantasy we give them cover

Christine

You're right, you shouldn't indulge it, you should also explain why.

Sure, that's fine. John's response to that has been to laugh condescendingly and respond that he can't even tell us what all his views are because they might be "incriminating" and then he goes on to whine that he doesn't have terrible views, he just wasn't expressing himself well.

He's a man who's trying to suss out just how much freedom he has to spread his shitty racist opinions. Sadly, there's an audience for it, and they're easy to serve because their zealous hunger makes them happy to compromise on every other quality.

Skyzard

Banned
Sure, that's fine. John's response to that has been to laugh condescendingly and respond that he can't even tell us what all his views are because they might be "incriminating" and then he goes on to whine that he doesn't have terrible views, he just wasn't expressing himself well.

He's a man who's trying to suss out just how much freedom he has to spread his shitty racist opinions. Sadly, there's an audience for it, and they're easy to serve because their zealous hunger makes them happy to compromise on every other quality.

I think you're right.

He hasn't even tweeted to guide his fans and there's been quite a lot going on, in terms of internet youtuber shit.

Gartooth

wow. is jontron to blame for this entire mess?

He caused a PR shitstorm for a successor to one of his favorite game's of all time mere weeks before release. His presence really fucked them over since Playtonic would be catching fire either way with their decision.

He caused a PR shitstorm for a successor to one of his favorite game's of all time mere weeks before release. His presence really fucked them over since Playtonic would be catching fire either way with their decision.

damn. and he's probably laughing all the way to the bank too

Nanashrew

Banned
I kinda took a nap, but I'm glad to see some things resolved and Tasha is eager to learn more about the world. There's nothing ever wrong in asking questions regardless of how old you are because there is always something to learn.

Gartooth

damn. and he's probably laughing all the way to the bank too

His voice acting was presumably an unpaid gig and offered to him because he has a big following on Youtube.

If I were in his shoes I would feel very very shitty about all of this. It is one thing to get kicked out of the game and another to personally be causing a ton of grief to people he probably considered his heroes.

honestly if he actually cared about the game and Grant Kirkhope as a friend he would have already made a statement asking people defending him to step the fuck off and that the developers don't deserve this shit.

But alas, he's probably using it as a pity thing before he eventually releases a patreon and banks.

Zubz

Banned
His voice acting was presumably an unpaid gig and offered to him because he has a big following on Youtube.

If I were in his shoes I would feel very very shitty about all of this. It is one thing to get kicked out of the game and another to personally be causing a ton of grief to people he probably considered his heroes.

He has an echochamber of sycophants; I'm sure he could care less now that he's the center of attention.

Tanoomba

Banned
Again he literally used an article that explicitly says the opposite of what he claims as proof of black people being genetically more criminal...

Destiny isn't even a "social justice guy" and he did try to see Jon's POV and what we got was more racism... what we got was a video released a week later doubling down.

As to why of all things him being a gamer means he should get the benefit of the doubt is beyond me...

Bluntly you are just making excuses for him...
Honestly, there are two things that bug the shit out of me about JonTron:

- His tendency to tune out what a video game is actively trying to draw his attention to so that he later finds himself stuck and wastes a ton of time when he should have just read the damned cut scene (Seriously, he did this so many times on Game Grumps and it drove me fucking nuts).

- His penchant for breaking into song. It sometimes gets a little too cringey for my liking.

I see this recent "debate" as the result of him buying into a point of view he had too much confidence in despite his best intentions, like everyone does all the time. When your only options are "with us" or "against us", that doesn't leave a lot of room for understanding, negotiation or compromise.

And I didn't mean to imply that being a "gamer" allows you extra privileges. I'm just saying that there are things I have in common with the guy. We have shared experiences that we value and choose to draw attention to. I don't want to throw that away because he got heads where I got tails in the social justice lottery and there is no middle ground, apparently.

I think the whole debate is unnecessarily polarizing because its foundation is based on drawing an uncrossable line between people. Its fundamental goal is trying to find the worst possible words to describe your opponent. That's not an environment that's conducive to a healthy exchange of ideas.

How many times have you heard:

"I'm not racist but..."

You do realize that you're defending Jafari by saying that people say racist things, right?

You're right, you shouldn't indulge it, you should also explain why.

I'm fairly convinced that you have no idea what you are talking about anymore, because what you wrote in context makes no sense.

He was being racist but he might not be a racist.

There is zero fucking difference.

When you say a racist joke, you are being racist.

Racism does not require an active hate for minorities.

Certainly baffles me when the go-to tactic becomes "Yeah but he didn't do it out of malice, he's just misinformed!" First off, I'm not entirely sure that there's such a thing as an "informed" racist. Second, whether or not there's genuine hatred and malice doesn't mean the person's not being racist. There's no requirement that you have to INTEND to be racist to be considered racist.

wow. is jontron to blame for this entire mess?

I mean Jon did not personally sic his fans onto Playtonic as "payback", if that's what you're referring to. Alt-right fuckwads act this way on their own volition.

Certainly baffles me when the go-to tactic becomes "Yeah but he didn't do it out of malice, he's just misinformed!" First off, I'm not entirely sure that there's such a thing as an "informed" racist. Second, whether or not there's genuine hatred and malice doesn't mean the person's not being racist. There's no requirement that you have to INTEND to be racist to be considered racist.

I mean Jon did not personally sic his fans onto Playtonic as "payback", if that's what you're referring to. Alt-right fuckwads act this way on their own volition.

Jon didn't do it personally, but lord knows that out of anything that has happened he should be more proactive in stopping this if he loved Rare as much as he pretends, because these guys are actively going out of their way to try and sabotage the game/studio.

People will literally trip over themselves to defend a person saying horrible, horrible shit but as soon as the fans of a game or performer or YouTuber or anything start acting like complete and utter sacks of shit NOT A ONE OF THEM will come forward to say "cut that shit out"

Like, it makes me fucking sick. It's not alienating your fanbase even if they're pieces of shit because fuck doing the right thing if it costs you money.

Jontron, come out and say "Please do not harass Playtonic for this" Boogie. Total Biscuit. Fucking one of you who decided to chime in on this.

Seik

Banned
Yes.

Humorously exploiting a cultural prejudice for no other reason than humor is racism.

So Dave Chapelle is one big racist under that logic.

There's a line between humor and belief. The case of JT here is about a belief he has about that 'gene pool' shit.

- His tendency to tune out what a video game is actively trying to draw his attention to so that he later finds himself stuck and wastes a ton of time when he should have just read the damned cut scene (Seriously, he did this so many times on Game Grumps and it drove me fucking nuts).

- His penchant for breaking into song. It sometimes gets a little too cringey for my liking.

I see this recent "debate" as the result of him buying into a point of view he had too much confidence in despite his best intentions, like everyone does all the time. When your only options are "with us" or "against us", that doesn't leave a lot of room for understanding, negotiation or compromise.

And I didn't mean to imply that being a "gamer" allows you extra privileges. I'm just saying that there are things I have in common with the guy. We have shared experiences that we value and choose to draw attention to. I don't want to throw that away because he got heads where I got tails in the social justice lottery and there is no middle ground, apparently.

I think the whole debate is unnecessarily polarizing because its foundation is based on drawing an uncrossable line between people. Its fundamental goal is trying to find the worst possible words to describe your opponent. That's not an environment that's conducive to a healthy exchange of ideas.

Again you're just making excuses and I have no idea what social justice lottery is... you aren't born racist...

And yes when it comes to racism there is in fact no middle ground...

Tanoomba

Banned
Also, for the record, I'm still super-psyched about Yooka-Laylee. I have been looking forward to its release since I backed it on Kickstarter and I can't believe it's a few short weeks away. I'm certainly not going to let any of this shit affect how I experience the game. I feel bad that Playtonic felt they had to take a stance on this, but I'm willing to let their work stand on its own merits.

Also, for the record, I'm still super-psyched about Yooka-Laylee. I have been looking forward to its release since I backed it on Kickstarter and I can't believe it's a few short weeks away. I'm certainly not going to let any of this shit affect how I experience the game. I feel bad that Playtonic felt they had to take a stance on this, but I'm willing to let their work stand on its own merits.

Well I'm glad you won't hold them standing up to racists against them.

guybrushfreeman

Unconfirmed Member

That's on Jon and no one else

Mahonay

Banned
You feel bad they had to take a stance against a racist?

Slayven

What debate is there? He says racist shit. People don't want to be associated with a racist. Not much of a debate.

Nanashrew

Banned

So like, did you even watch the Destiny debate? Did you check out this thread too? http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showthread.php?t=1352025

grim-tales

honestly if he actually cared about the game and Grant Kirkhope as a friend he would have already made a statement asking people defending him to step the fuck off and that the developers don't deserve this shit.

But alas, he's probably using it as a pity thing before he eventually releases a patreon and banks.

Good point, that would be the decent thing to do if he cared about the developers and the game. But as he hasn't, it shows Jon hasnt learned anything and is just a racist dick.

This was far less of a "it could hurt our brand" deal and more of a "get the fuck out" one. Jafari was not hired. He paid for the opportunity.

Cyframe

Social Justice lottery? That isn't how it works. I've watched several of Jon's videos, him debating etc, and he has a big issue even acknowledging the current climate of anti-black racism. He doesn't move a single Planck, even though he knows that racism is a huge problem.

Honestly, if someone I was a fan of ever expressed views like this, consistently and doubled down on them, I wouldn't be fans of them anymore. And you shouldn't either.

He's proven, himself, that he's unsalvageable. If he wanted to know about BLM, all he has to do is send a PM to deray on twitter. If he wanted to be a good person, he would be, but he willingly chooses racism and white nationalism. This isn't an accident like bumping into someone and they fall over.

And at a certain point, when you make excuses for an abhorrent person like Jon, it reflects on yourself as well. Because it says, I don't really care if he's spewing a rhetoric that endangers and targets minorities. Like, we have famous youtubers defending jon and they didn't even watch the debates and stuff he was in and said we need to meet in the middle.

This entire situation is absurd, and Yooka-Laylee shouldn't suffer because they said, I don't want to associate with this person anymore.

APF

Most of the time when actual comedians use racism in their acts it's to subvert expectations for the sake of revealing a deeper truth, often something that would be uncomfortable to just come out and say--often something about ourselves--if it weren't diffused by humor. Very few good comedians make racist jokes for the sake of making racist jokes. And those who do are either shitty, have shitty beliefs, or have gone completely off the rails. IMO Chappelle in particular is a bad example to give of the harmlessness of racist jokes; he famously broke away from comedy partly because he felt he ended up reinforcing racist caricature instead of poking holes in it.

EDIT:
Dave Chappelle goddamn left comedy for a while because people were getting the wrong messages from his skits.

Yep, this

Spman2099

Dave Chappelle goddamn left comedy for a while because people were getting the wrong messages from his skits.

I think a lot of people, unfortunately, write Dave Chappelle off. Some of his skits on the Chappelle show were cerebral in a way that flew over most people's heads. He was directly using the philosophies of Frantz Fanon in a number of sketches. There was a lot of nuance present, and it was all wrapped in absurdist, subversive comedy.

That being said, you could argue that some of his sketches were racist. I personally wouldn't argue that, I think you need a more nuanced perspective when dealing with satire, but that argument could be made. That is why I feel a little uncomfortable with the proclamation that anyone that says anything that can be construed as racist IS a racist. Especially when you are dealing with comedians...

Dryk

That is why I feel a little uncomfortable with the proclamation that anyone that says anything that can be construed as racist IS a racist. Especially when you are dealing with comedians...
I think it muddies the issue anyway. It doesn't matter if the person saying the racist thing is a racist or not. The thing they said is still racist and that has consequences regardless of their intent.

I think it's kind of weird that the things that bother you most about JonTron are related to how he plays video games and not shit like "Black Lives Matter is a criminal organization" or "immigrants dilute the gene pool."

I think it muddies the issue anyway. It doesn't matter if the person saying the racist thing is a racist or not. The thing they said is still racist and that has consequences regardless of their intent.

This, point blank.

If you have to use the word "construed" to sleep better at night, go ahead. But if you make a blatantly racist joke or comment, I fail to see how you can interpret that as anything but.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom