• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Playtonic removes JonTron from Yooka-Laylee.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Nanashrew

Banned
i would assume some might think "88" was his year of birth. - something like Feb 9th, 1988, which would make him 29.

Oh yeah, I guess that's a good point. Numbers barely register to me in that way so I just figured it might be something else like a favorite number.

[*]Kudos to Tasha2k2 for actually asking questions and trying to learn. Too few teenagers are doing that nowadays. I too thought they were one of those disingenuous "question-askers" but since they were being sincere they are doing the right thing :)
[/LIST]

Yeah, what fucking awesome young'un.

There are people who genuinely think I was the cause of this XD

neogaf_jontron_playtonic_by_digi_matrix-db3p63j.png

I did tweet out to the devs just asking them for a comment, they didn't respond or like or whatever, but maybe they checked it without acknowledging?
neogaf_jontron_playtonic_2_by_digi_matrix-db3p63m.png

neogaf_jontron_playtonic_3_by_digi_matrix-db3p63o.png

If I and a few other GAFers were the cause of this decision, I'm ok with it.

Maximo

I did tweet out to the devs just asking them for a comment, they didn't respond or like or whatever, but maybe they checked it without acknowledging?

You have the power, force all devs to do 60fps!

What an awful, scummy human being you are for reporting on someone who was promoting hatred and ignorance.

How very dare you sir!

colonyoo

This might make you aim your pitchforks at me but do you really think Playtonic did the best thing they could, financially speaking? Seems like a lose-lose situation for them. Keep the voice? People will boycott. Remove the voice? People will boycott.
Not gonna comment on the rest of this post but realistically, I can't imagine that most people even know about this controversy over Playtonic's decision to begin with. A minority amount of whiny gamers making such a small issue seem huge by loudly crying about it probably won't lead to a dramatic change in their sales.

Tregard

Soothsayer
Legitimately, the idea a development studio made a public decision such as that based solely on "Well, that's what the NeoGAF hivemind clearly wants" is just laughable.

At most, they used it as a point in favour of doing what they did, but even that is a stretch I assume. The JonTron decision was likely made quite quickly after they saw what had happened (given that the team is on Twitter, they likely saw it pretty damn fast), and they were just figuring out the best way to word that press release.

But no, of course a handful of people on an internet forum are responsible for ruining video games.

Jonnax

What an awful, scummy human being you are for reporting on someone who was promoting hatred and ignorance.

How very dare you sir!

You laugh. But it's a tactic that has been very successful.

The creators and beneficiaries of Fake News now attack anything that disagrees with them as fake news.

The ones that mock safe spaces and echo chambers thrive on creating communities where dissenting voices are quickly silenced.

It's not like they don't know what they're doing. They look at what this guy has said and know that it's racist and they know that if they quote it, they lose the argument.
So instead they reframe things.
They call it having a controversial opinion, differing political views, etc
They'll frame it as someone being unfairly attacked and try to garner sympathy for the "victim"

For example. Right know if you search for "Yoola Laylee" on google. The first news result says things like this:

The game’s creator, Playtonic, said they dropped JonTron from the game over his “personal viewpoints.” JonTron, the gaming YouTuber with 3 million subscribers, made some inflammatory comments in an online debate about black crime and immigration that many described as racist. He later apologized for his comments on his channel and claimed he would stay out of politics to focus on gaming and comedy.

Alleged racist JonTron has been pretty chill about the whole situation. He issued a statement on Twitter, expressing his disappointment while still supporting the game.

Generally downplaying it, not giving any direct quotes of what JonTron says.
However gives a couple of full quotes from Kickstarter backers saying that censorshp is one of the worlds greatest evils blah blah blah.

So there's all this framing of the issue going on to make it seem like whatever the controversy, it wasn't a big deal but because people are treating it like it's a big deal, then someone should be attacked.

So that's why the devs are being hounded, and attempts to get people to not purchase the game are in full swing such as steam tag poisoning.

Honestly, most of the people defending JonTron are worse than he is. JonTron has at least acknowledged that he understands Playtonic's decision, and attempted to distance himself what he said (even if he hasn't outright apologised for it).

His defenders however are doubling-down on what Jon said, and acting as if Playtonic are the bad guys, even though they're free to remove JonTron for any fucking reason they like. He's not a paid employee. They trot out the old "free speech" argument, showing they have no fucking idea what "free speech" actually is, and how they might actually learn something living in a nation where such a thing doesn't exist. Free speech means there are no legal consequences for saying certain things, not no consequences, period. The world does not owe you a fucking platform on which to stand and spout your bullshit.

I hope you don't get harassed by those cucks for this. They can get super petty.

Don't stoop to their level in using that word. People on the right use that word when referring to people who they perceive as being "liberals". It's fucking stupid because it has nothing to do with what the word actually means (a cuck is a man who enjoys watching other men have sex with his partner). Frankly, when I see somebody using that word in an non-ironic context, I immediately write them off as being a complete dunce whose opinions have no worth. Same goes for "SJW"'s and "liberal" (when used as an insult). It's like when a child has to resort to name-calling because they can't make an actual argument.

caliph95

Didn't know gafs the popular, hey guys why don't we use our powers to get EA to fix Andromeda.

Honestly considering how public the controversy is at least on the gaming side and they were already aware of him i doubt notifying them did anything. Also you think the way they talk about it gafffers flooded and attacked the company instead of liking the video, that may have been already aware of.

Ugh I'm so mad that Playtonic had to get involved in this shit storm for literally doing the right thing. This whole situation should've been fucking cut and dry, but the fact that they're getting so much heat for this is appalling. I fucking hate the gaming community
Outside of neogaf of course. This site seems to be on few gaming communities that isn't complete dogshit.

NEO0MJ

Don't stoop to their level in using that word. People on the right use that word when referring to people who they perceive as being "liberals". It's fucking stupid because it has nothing to do with what the word actually means (a cuck is a man who enjoys watching other men have sex with his partner). Frankly, when I see somebody using that word in an non-ironic context, I immediately write them off as being a complete dunce whose opinions have no worth. Same goes for "SJW"'s and "liberal" (when used as an insult). It's like when a child has to resort to name-calling because they can't make an actual argument.

That's not what that word means.

Sorry, I thought it'd come out as funny in that context ☹️

hodgy100

I love that they are annoyed that game developers read gaf ( a hell of a lot do LOADS of us at my workplace regularly read gaf and email around links to read stuff).

yet they never stop to think why we listen to GAF.

Seik

Banned

"The JonTron nonissue."

Yeah, fucking right lol.

These guys don't understand that JT just should've STFU. But no, it's because NeoGAF, them fucking snitches. :lol

It's like Trump blaming the media, same same.

I love that they are annoyed that game developers read gaf ( a hell of a lot do LOADS of us at my workplace regularly read gaf and email around links to read stuff).

yet they never stop to think why we listen to GAF.
You are afraid of our collective sjw influence, how we force empathy and consideration on you all whether you like it or not.
that's how it works apparently

Should be mentioned this Etherwinter fellow also tried to make an issue of Titanoaba's earlier posts in this thread, and I respectfully pointed out and posted Besada's response

of course I was laughed out the building, but whatever

All in all, I've unsubscribed from Jonathan Tronathan on Youtube and, in addition to buying Yooka-Laylee for myself (already pre-ordered), I'm going to buy a copy for a friend as well just to spread the love.

BY2K

Membero Americo
I fucking wish I had the power to influence devs on their games.

Best I got was the NoA Twitter show a picture of the E3 booth curtains because I asked for it on GAF.

fireflame

I know it is weird but i had hardly heard about Playtonic before this JonTron incident. I only knew Yookah Laylee as "this game that got cancelled on the Wii U"

I am not much into platformers but i have been told it is a long awaited game for Rare fans.

Dear lord in heaven....

So I finally listened to the JonTron interview by Destiny and my god was it just... awful.

Jon clearly had no idea what he was saying the whole way through and came off extremely ignorant and even racist.

That was a tough listen as a fan of his work, but jeez man... I think playtonic made the right move here.

I know im late to the party here, but just wanted to voice my disappointment and disbelief in Jon.

I fucking wish I had the power to influence devs on their games.

Best I got was the NoA Twitter show a picture of the E3 booth curtains because I asked for it on GAF.
FREEDOM OF SPEECH! CENSORSHIP! SJW ALERT!

I forgot how much power we truly had here for a second.

FiraB

Banned
There are people who genuinely think I was the cause of this.

To be fair the collective of GAF is getting blamed for it, apparently we bombarded playtonic about it to get a reaction. Its amazing how powerful people think we are as a community, really the stupidity of it when you consider that most devs also pay lots more attention to reddit, twitch and youtube now.

Seriously JonTrons reddit after the destiny thing was a fcking warzone, but hey we probably did contribute a bit as did a hundred fcking other sites that ran articles about it within the day.

But the internet likes lowhanging fruit and GAF is an easy target, hell even playtonic will eventually figure out a way to use GAF as a scapegoat.

Funny because only a handful of people would have even bothered contacting playtonic about this from here like you did. But we are LGBT scum, or everyone here is a SJW a-hole or some other bullshit bug hivemind blah blah blah.

Basically if we have an opinion on it were the fcking anti-christ. The twin chans, reddit, tubers, the hundred other gaming communities, thousand news sites and twitchers are all saints compared to us.

Personally the whole debacle is laughable on all fronts and people always look for someone to blame, we were just the easiest.

Reality is Jontron fcked up, I dont care if he is a racist because thats his opinion. I dont have to agree with his opinion like he doesnt have to agree with mine or anyone elses.

But if you are in his position you dont cross the now clearly drawn line that was drawn weeks prior.

Pewdiepie should have been a big red fcking flag to the content developer community as a whole because he showed all the people under him where the line in the sand was drawn.

People can think we are to blame but Jontron opened his mouth, he forgot to switch on his brain and realize freedom of expression has consequences when you are in the public arena.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom