• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Point n Click Adventure GAF 2015 - Back with a vengeance

Bebpo

Banned
While I appreciate the concept, the fact is combining PnC genre with action just doesn't work. You can't make the action challenging and exciting on an action game level because your main audience of PnCers is going to be comprised of a lot of people who like puzzles and story and aren't necessarily skilled in action games/action game players. So you either have action parts that annoying most of the audience or you dumb it down and have boring action parts that everyone just finds tedious.

Stuff like Velocity 2k where you're combining a shmup with an action platformer is a little more ok because they're both reflex/action games to a degree. But shmup/PnC? Complete opposite spectrums. I think something like non-combat Star Citizen could work for adventure games where you just fly from location to location to progress the story, but action usually doesn't cross over well.

Boem

While I appreciate the concept, the fact is combining PnC genre with action just doesn't work. You can't make the action challenging and exciting on an action game level because your main audience of PnCers is going to be comprised of a lot of people who like puzzles and story and aren't necessarily skilled in action games/action game players. So you either have action parts that annoying most of the audience or you dumb it down and have boring action parts that everyone just finds tedious.

Stuff like Velocity 2k where you're combining a shmup with an action platformer is a little more ok because they're both reflex/action games to a degree. But shmup/PnC? Complete opposite spectrums. I think something like non-combat Star Citizen could work for adventure games where you just fly from location to location to progress the story, but action usually doesn't cross over well.

I see what you're saying. The Kickstarter video looks really good to me, but you're aiming at two completely different audiences with not a lot of overlap. Still, this looks really good to me, I hope it gets funded.

Oh my... This is the best thing I've stumbled on GAF since Nintendo Direct hype threads. I had no idea there was so many upcoming point'n'clicks! And DoTT remastered? How could I miss it?

Definitely subscribing. Thanks guys!

Fjordson

Love that Starr Mazer game's look and overall style, but I dunno if I'll back it. Not a big shmup fan.

Oh my... This is the best thing I've stumbled on GAF since Nintendo Direct hype threads. I had no idea there was so many upcoming point'n'clicks! And DoTT remastered? How could I miss it?

Definitely subscribing. Thanks guys!
Welcome mang. DoTT remaster is definitely exciting. And Grim Fandango remastered hitting next week!

Card Boy

Banned
d1Nc7gt.png

uRBvF0C.png

Some good cheap PnC's in those bundles.

TripleSun

Is Rex Nebular worth getting? I don't know much about the game besides seeing some screenshots but would like your opinions if anyone has some.

Card Boy

Banned
GOG PnC sale weekend!

http://www.gog.com/promo/weekend_pr...me_subject&utm_campaign=timeless_adventures_a
  • TESLA EFFECT: A TEX MURPHY ADVENTURE
  • TALES OF MONKEY ISLAND
  • BLACKWELL BUNDLE
  • BLACKWELL EPIPHANY, THE
  • BACK TO THE FUTURE: THE GAME
  • SAM & MAX SAVE THE WORLD
  • SAM & MAX BEYOND TIME AND SPACE
  • SAM & MAX: THE DEVIL’S PLAYHOUSE
  • PRIMORDIA
  • GEMINI RUE
  • TEX MURPHY: MEAN STREETS + MARTIAN MEMORANDUM
  • TEX MURPHY: UNDER A KILLING MOON
  • TEX MURPHY: THE PANDORA DIRECTIVE
  • TEX MURPHY: OVERSEER
  • A GOLDEN WAKE
  • RESONANCE
  • SHIVAH, THE
  • SIMON THE SORCERER
  • SIMON THE SORCERER 2
  • SIMON THE SORCERER 3D
  • FEEBLE FILES, THE
  • WAXWORKS
  • PERSONAL NIGHTMARE

Boem

Has anyone played the new Broken Sword episodes yet?
How are they, worth checking out?

I loved the hell out of the first two games back in the 90s. I kickstarted the game so I own it, but I just can't push myself to play far beyond the opening scenes. I really should at some point, but for some reason it's just not grabbing me.

I realize my opinion is kinda useless as I haven't given it a fair shot, but there's just something about it that doesn't pull me in.

Zaph

I loved the hell out of the first two games back in the 90s. I kickstarted the game so I own it, but I just can't push myself to play far beyond the opening scenes. I really should at some point, but for some reason it's just not grabbing me.

I realize my opinion is kinda useless as I haven't given it a fair shot, but there's just something about it that doesn't pull me in.

Same. Loved the first two games, but Serpent's Curse seemed to be missing a lot of the charm and soul of the early games.

inm8num2

BS5 is a pretty good game overall. It plays very much like a modern 90s PnC. The second part of the game has some more challenging puzzles, which was nice, but the story does kind of lose steam and end a bit abruptly. The humor is hit or miss but there are enough callbacks to the earlier games to make you smile.

Overall, I'd say it's worth playing for a fan of the series or just an adventure fan in general.

Card Boy

Banned
Loved Serpents Curse, i still have nightmares about Broken Sword 3 though. I am never touching the 4th game as a result.

TripleSun

Really want everything Broken Sword can give me so I've been off and on struggling trying to like BS3 but I've stopped completely at this point. I really need to just force myself to finish it and go on from there. At this rate I'll never touch BS5 lol

Tizoc

I was excited for it until I saw this..
a2sT7Bs.gif

I really can't stand "bullet-hell" style shooters :-(

Hmm it's not THAT bullet hell-y to me, but you can always offer suggestions to make it so the shmup parts are less bullet hell-like.
I dislike bullet hell as well, so if the game has 2 options for either traditional 'just dodge shots' shmup and 'SURVIVE THIS MADNESS' shmup style, it'd be better.

titch

Hmm it's not THAT bullet hell-y to me, but you can always offer suggestions to make it so the shmup parts are less bullet hell-like.
I dislike bullet hell as well, so if the game has 2 options for either traditional 'just dodge shots' shmup and 'SURVIVE THIS MADNESS' shmup style, it'd be better.

I just cant take to bullet hell games - dont see the fun in them at all.

Terra_Ex

Really want everything Broken Sword can give me so I've been off and on struggling trying to like BS3 but I've stopped completely at this point. I really need to just force myself to finish it and go on from there. At this rate I'll never touch BS5 lol
If you can't make it through BS3,good luck pushing through BS4, its worse in pretty much every respect.

BS1>BS2>>>BS5>>BS3>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>BS4

Puzzles in BS5 part one are mostly pathetically easy. Part two are a bit more challenging, though there was one that I thought rather stupid.

Dialogue is ok, story in general is bad and suffers from being broken up I suspect. Antagonist is bad and poorly set up.

titch

I actually absolutely love bullet hell shooters but to each his own lol

It really annoys me that i dont like them :( I really like old school shmups - uridium and armalyte were big favs when i was a kid.

Maybe ive just not found the one for me yet.

I'm not a big fighting game fan apart fro the street fighter series - the rest just leave me cold.

As you say everyone to their own. :)

TripleSun

Yeah they used to make me pull my hair out but then I just spent time focusing on the patterns and eventually it became fun. I spend a lot of time in japanese arcades and bullet hell shooters are all over, so it just became something I enjoy. But yeah I was expecting that game to have mediocre shmup quality since it's trying to be two things at once but now that it looks like it isn't gimping out on that portion I might keep an eye on it lol

titch

I wonder where the idea came from lets make a point and click bullet hell game.

Maybe it will kickstart a new genre of gaming.

Broken Sword 5? Descent. The puzzles in the middle part was really fun, but I felt that the game otherwise didn't really bring anything worthwhile to the series. It was never really bad, but in terms of story, characters and locations, it felt pretty mediocre.

I really hope Revolution focuses on other series now.

WAIT A GOD DAMN SECOND.

THERES A SYBERIA 3 IN PRODUCTION !??!?!?!?

OHHHHH YEEEEEEEEEEESSSSSSSS

EDIT: And after Gemini Rue I've fell in love with cyberpunk Point n Click. Murder looks so good in that respect.

Gotta finish Syberia 2 then, to get ready for 3. And get Murder.

I love Point n Clicks, thanks OP for reminding me about 'em, sometimes it's easy to forget about the genre!

Naster

Neo Member
We released a point-and-click adventure game on Steam late last year, and it doesn't seem to have been mentioned in these threads yet.

It's called The Detail Episode 1 - Where the Dead Lie. It's a story-focused, crime noir thriller taking place in a modern American city. Multiple playable characters, story reacting to your choices, and all that.

You can check it out here - and for the week get it for -50% too, if you want to give it a go:

We're planning to get Episode 2 out of the door Q1 this year.

There seem to be some other games tagged "adventure" also taking part in the Weeklong Deals sale (list sorted by user rating):
http://store.steampowered.com/searc...t_by=Reviews_DESC&filter=weeklongdeals&page=1

Zaph

We released a point-and-click adventure game on Steam late last year, and it doesn't seem to have been mentioned in these threads yet.

It's called The Detail Episode 1 - Where the Dead Lie. It's a story-focused, crime noir thriller taking place in a modern American city. Multiple playable characters, story reacting to your choices, and all that.

You can check it out here - and for the week get it for -50% too, if you want to give it a go:

There seem to be some other games tagged "adventure" also taking part in the Weeklong Deals sale (list sorted by user rating):
http://store.steampowered.com/searc...t_by=Reviews_DESC&filter=weeklongdeals&page=1

Your game looks fantastic, I've had my eye on it for a while. Love the tone of it.

Any rough idea/roadmap of when the final episode will be released? I'm hesitant to buy into episodic games prior to completion as I find more often than not it diminishes the experience.

Koriandrr

Managed to get my hands on Life is Strange Episode 1 and gotta say it was pretty awesome. The mood and protagonist really remind me of The Longest Journey. Very April Ryan-esque. If that's a thing. Soundtrack was pretty cool too.

Only thing is it felt a bit short, due to the lack of action, which I got used to from telltale games. It's less action and more little details/exploration.

Naster

Neo Member
Your game looks fantastic, I've had my eye on it for a while. Love the tone of it.

Any rough idea/roadmap of when the final episode will be released? I'm hesitant to buy into episodic games prior to completion as I find more often than not it diminishes the experience.

Thanks, Zaph :). If everything goes fast and smooth, episode 5 might be out just before the year is over, but it could also come out on the side of 2016.

TripleSun

Oh wow I missed this somehow. I'll be picking this up, I've a super soft spot for noir PnC games! Looks wonderful!

Tizoc

I believe it was recommend over at SteamGAF thread, will def. grab it once I get my monthly paycheck =3

Boem

It's a beautiful day everybody.

There's an OT, but it's mostly full of people having trouble with PSN, and I figured it deserved a mention here. If you've never played this classic, stop what you're doing and get it now. If you've played it before, you're already playing the remake.

This is it for me. One of the best adventure games ever. It doesn't get much better than this. I've played the first year now (even though I'm supposed to be working on some stuff), so I'll take a break, but the remaster really is beautifully done. Can't recommend it enough.

Li Kao

I got back into pnc yesterday, didn't play any of them for several years. Since Deponia 1 in fact. I'm a little ashamed by that as I loved Deponia.

So I played Journey Down Ep1 on iOS and, fuck this my first post here will be a negative one... I don't know, while the game certainly is made well enough and fits expectations as a pnc, I found that its charm wore off with time and that it finally turned into plain anecdotal, like to many little pnc out there.
Again, difficult to tell exactly what went wrong for me. While the puzzles where not totally out there, I felt they were a little too much on the nonsense side, the tasks asked to the protagonist are too meaningless, too generic, the game is short and the plot begins when the game ends, on the technical side it can be at the same time good looking and a little hideous (some characters seem tacked on the scenery), the iOS version is in an unacceptable state with the whole second it often takes to change screen...

Really, it wasn't horrible, but all these little elements added together make me hesitant to buy and play the second part now.

Zaph

Wow! So soon? Can't wait, BoUT is my favourite PnC in years.

Any word if Critter Cronicles is a necessary part of the story? I really don't like it and haven't played past the first chapter.

TripleSun

Wow! So soon? Can't wait, BoUT is my favourite PnC in years.

Any word if Critter Cronicles is a necessary part of the story? I really don't like it and haven't played past the first chapter.

I can't remember much about CC right now since it's been a while. But I know it's a prequel so play it or not. Not sure it really affects playing BoUT2. It wasn't anything like BoUT1 but I felt it was a nice little adventure when I was hungry for more of the series.

Not sure if it's been mentioned but Groupees has an adventure/point and click style bundle
with a favourite of mine (Sinking island):

https://groupees.com/bm17

Alright I've seen reviews saying that game is super boring and others saying they loved it. So since it's only $1 and I liked Syberia I might as well go for it. Knowing Sokal from Syberia I can already gather some ideas of what the game will be like but nevertheless I'm excited. Thanks for bringing this to my attention, must have not paid enough attention to this game.

TripleSun

Okay starting Sinking Island now.

Just quit giving the Abbey a chance. Too many files ended up being corrupt or something and my game just kept pausing and never resuming. Oh well, waste of money.

Top Bottom