• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Pokémon Mafia |OT| Gotta Catch Em’ Scum!

Ynnek7

395ce1a961de9e3623fc54dea9029278.jpg

Hey, I could still be wrong. Maybe my thought process is as malleable as he suggested, lol.

Sawneeks

Banned
Royal Flush Round-Up

All posts are in chronological order from Day 1. This is not all of Flush's posts, just the ones I wished to comment on.
Oh, a game with people actually posting. Haven't been in one of these for some time.

Yeah that happens. Judging from my previous games I'll be a solid Null-Read for the first few phases...

At least there is something happening other than forced questionnaires in the first 24h so that's a good sign, I guess?

*sigh*

wrong. Town has fallen into this trap so many times. Gods, Danny Phantom. And the last time i remember him being really aggressive was in Princess where he was Scum.

I find neither of those to be odd. Ty-Soph looks like a friendly banter, Ty-Darryl like usual X-Darryl stuff.

I don't think this speculation leads to anything worthwhile with the amount of info we have. I also think it might help Scum more than Town to figure this out as early as possible.

Interesting or "easy target"-scummy?

I sat at my desk laughing like an idiot... Thanks Ourobororolol

His first post of the game. I pointed out the bold at the time but it is still odd to me and sticks out. It reads like 'don't be surprised if I'm a null-read for a bit, k?' and brushes it off like that's something people shouldn't worry about if it happens. Flush seems to do that a lot actually, posting 'disclaimers' every now and again to preface his opinions.

Do note that "Interesting or "easy target"-scummy?" was directed at Gorlak, who he had to prod to get to answer that question. Something I wanted to bring up since Gorlak is a Town read for me but his quiet nature this Day has been noted.

I'm very glad we're shifting away from this Darryl/Ty4on/Sophia stuff because from what I've read they can handle that on their own (without interference) just fine and nothing about the conversation screams "Scum!" in the slightest. I'm not saying they're necessarily Town (though I think Darryl/Ty4on as WW is very unlikely at this point) but I'm not willing to vote on any of them based on what they've shown so far.

Much more interesting I find topo's behavior. Seems kind of nervous.

Or the fact that L_P actually isn't really coasting. Whatever that means.

Or SalvaPot not giving a single shit. I'm not sure if I've actually seen him play and I may be WIFOM'ing myself here but that pushes him towards the Town camp in my book.

Why do you post this and then don't make a follow-up?

¯\_(ツ)_/¯ Just stating facts about previous games here. Another fact: I never got NK'd so far.

Bolded in question seems odd given Flush's constant protection of Sophia if she is capable of protecting herself. Scum protecting Scum is still so blatant I don't quite believe it but...it gives me conflicting feelings. Flush clearly goes against his own reasoning for not answering for other players, but why Sophia in particular?? Hmmmm.

First instance of Topo 'nervousness'.

Thinks Salva is Town due to his general attitude towards the game itself. Claims it could be WIFOM.

I totally agree that Salva is deadweight. And purposefully voting out deadweight on D1 is a valid path to take. As a backup option if we don't have a solid Scum candidate at the end of the day. Until then I'd prefer to dig around a bit more. You won't get anything from Salva right now.
I will look like an idiot if he turns out to be Scum, won't I?

Anyway, other question: What was the purpose of your "intentionally unexplained vote" then other than baiting reactions?

Despite his earlier read of Town Reading Salva, he is open to lynching him just to get rid of 'dead weight' if no other Scum candidates pop up.

Also more disclaimer, this time in regards to Salva.

Questions Gorlak for his 'unexplained vote'.

And people are complaining I make long posts :D

Anyway, Topo is by far my strongest scum read so far. Seems very thin-skinned and has been quiet since yesterday. Waiting for the storm to calm down? Or just busy?

As much as I like Calvin&Hobbes and do appreciate Blarg actually does something remotely useful, the reads that can be filtered from those strips are basic at best and with some of them I have no clue what they are supposed to mean (e.g. melonrabbit's or mine)

As Darryl is harping on Fireblend already, I will point to the other person that stood out to me for just posting inconsequential things this phase (while not just shitposting): Unmasked Ferret.

Speaking of shitposting: Salva, I hope you will join us in this game soon.

It was to give context to the quote from gorlak directly above (the post sophia has quoted at the end of her last post 497) where he references people pointing out a "triangle. Afaik you three were the only people who explicitly mentioned that triangle up to that point.

And here we have our 'Topo is my strongest scum read' post.

Calls out Blarg that, while his Calvin & Hobbes list is fun, it provides little to nothing in terms of actual reads.

Also calls out Ferret and Salva to come forward more and post more substantial things.

vote: El Topo

Now that you say it (and I actually did a post-by-user-search, CM also can be added to the "inconsequential" people I listed in my last post. And the first line of this post rubs me in a bad way.

Despite Topo being his #TopScumRead he doesn't actually vote there until Sophia does here where she calls him out and asks if he will back up his read. As you can see above, he answers the call and votes for Topo.

What I'm noticing the most here is that Sophia and Flush are joined in some way even from the start. 'Sophia can take care of herself' but then Flush goes and answers questions in her place. Flush only votes Topo when Sophia questions him and he answers. Sophia even mentions at Day End that she was following Flush's suggestion, which is something I still find odd in itself.

No novelty here. Last time he did it was in Danny Phantom (Although not as a final vote). But I guess you remember that yourself. Just wanted to point it out for everyone.

wrong answer. If you don't think we'll find Scum or a good panic action by Scum at least let's vote out the deadweight who shows no intention to contribute in the future (aka Salva)

You're telling me you made this whole list of reasons and posts before you put your vote down?

Suggests they should vote out Mr. Dead-Weight Salva. I'm assuming, Flush, that you would have moved to Salva if Darryl had agreed? If so, why do that than go after your #TopScum?

Note, he defends Darryl's 'No Lynch' vote in the the bolded above. Keep this in mind for the following quote.

No lynch is garbage. If you don't want to vote for El Topo, don't vote for him. El Topo's nervousness has changed into anger apparently, but I don't know what I should make out of this fact. Is just getting angry and (apparently rightfully, idk, hadn't had the time yet to check for myself) pointing out lies (or at least twisted narratives) a Town-Tell? I don't know. I stated in my previous post who I'm willing to vote for. If someone else is vote leader or close to becoming it I will try to swing towards whomever of that list has the most support.

'No novelty here' is in regards to Darryl's 'No Lynch' vote which Flush calls relatively normal and is a pretty Darryl thing to do. He then follows it up with the bolded above. Flush, since 'no lynch' was a very Darryl thing to do despite it being garbage did that affect your read on him at all? Salva was also on the 'No Lynch' train and was the only one to stay, although your thoughts on him don't seem to have changed much.

Conclusion: My vote stays, at least for now. I wish to see more from Flush come the morning and gauge his responses from there. As of right now though he is who I feel like we should lynch. Not only do I feel he is Scum but his flip would help me develop reads on numerous others given who he has talked to. Namely Sophia, Topo, Verelios, TheG, and slightly Gorlak as well.

However, my hesitations still reside with Sophia and Verelios and also Nin/TheG/Salva who are doing nothing more than coasting as of right now. After sleeping on my thoughts and letting them sit I'll come back in the morning and give my final verdict. Especially considering the 2 others I scum read also jumped on Flush. >.>;

either way, good night everyone.

*Splinter

I'm a bit behind, so I'll be responding to stuff as I catch up, apologies if I'm retreading old ground.

Hmm, Darryl's day 1 way of pushing people seemed like the normal town Darryl to me. I have been scum with Darryl once in NX and there he was way more random with his attacks then now. Then again, during that game he had barely time to play, couldn't read the thread and made everything up on the fly, so I don't know how much trust I should put into my experiences in that game.
I'd say Darryl is more than capable of playing a consistent day 1 regardless of alignment - see Disney for example. It's why I didn't particularly townread him despite him not doing anything suspicious.

SalvaPot

I've been busy but believe it or not I am following the game. You guys are boring.

Top Town
Sophia
Splinter
Stanley
Blarg

Top Scum
Verelios
Royal
Christina (Hunch)

I am leaving my vote now since by Day End I'll be asleep, most likely.

Vote: Verelios

on that note, i dont have any strong scum reads on anyone right now. but the smaller scum vibes are pointing me in the direction of Royal, El Topo, Nin, and Verelios. hopefully tomorrow ill be able to turn some of these idle feelings into something substantial enough to vote on

El Topo I read as town, we both have similar thoughts. nin1000 feels slightly scummy but not by much.

I've been busy but believe it or not I am following the game. You guys are boring.

yeah because your such a riot yourself m8.

Hey Stanley could you answer some questions for me when you have the time?

If your scum read on Bronx was based on his inactivity, why didn't you also list Salva on that top scum list during the first day?

Can you explain why you town read Melon, or is it more of a gut thing since you haven't been reading into her?

Were Verelios and Royal on your scum radar before or did something happen this day phase to bring them to your attention (I guess you said smaller they had scum vibes)? And are your feelings of Nin and Topo just left over from whatever reasons you had first day, or did they also do something new (please explain day one feelings to, I think I know but I'd rather be safe)

Since you've maybe had time to calm down how do you feel about CM now?

Dusk left you off the his Pokemon read list, didn't even assign you a random pokemon. How do you feel about that?

oh goody, questions.

1. when making that scum list salva actually completely slipped my mind.

2. more of a gut thing, everything iv read from her feels like like at least decent contributions, no scummy vibes at all. its not the strongest of town reads, but she really isnt on my radar and im still very curious as to why exactly she is for so many others.

3. Verelios and Royal are new to the scum vibe party, they joined upon my re-evaluating how i felt about everyone just yesterday. right now i cant elaborate much on this as i havnt been paying a great deal of attention to them (which could likely be the cause of these vibes in the first place. maybe. stay tuned).
Nin and Topo however continue to give the same feelings i had day 1, more so if anything.
after this post i'll be finally be going back and looking more into these crazy characters, so hopefully ill soon be able to give something actually noteworthy on my feelings about them.

4. not good, not good at all.

5. i feel left out and discriminated against! HOW DARE HE!
but really i only feel slightly disappointed that i missed out on a chance to make more stupid jokes.
if he wants to take a shot at it let it be known that my favorite Pokemon is the magnificent Dragonair.

*Splinter

Hmmm, maybe it's because I haven't had lunch yet but I'm having trouble understanding. Let me see if I have this right.

-You wish to keep Royal alive because not only do you always Scum read him but because if Royal is Scum then keeping him around provides more info to be used later once we eventually flip him.
- You wish to get rid of Salva only if it was just you voting. From my understanding of this, it's just because you see him as dead weight and therefore just want him out of the game, not because you necessarily Scum read him.
- The only info we would gain from either flip would be mostly in the vote record despite what you said previously that keeping Royal around provides more info as he makes connections.

Do I have that right?
Maybe this is resolved now (still catching up) but fwiw I understood what Ferret meant. Basically if it was his choice alone he'd play it safe and lynch Salva - Salva being scummy/null and otherwise "dead weight", whereas Flush being a hard read for him similar to how I can't read Sophia. If it was a public vote tied between null Salva and scummy Flush then he's be more confident in his scumread of Flush (since others agree enough to vote for him over the "dead weight").

I quite like this reasoning in fact. It looks inconsistent which I think scum would try to avoid, but at the same time the logic is reasonable (I'd probably do the same in a nin/Sophia situation).

*Splinter

Apparently if you don't get triggered by the things the majority seems to get triggered from but by other things instead or if your reason for a (as it turns out inconsequential) unvote at day end is not keeping track with the votecount and say the truth about these things, you get read as Scum.
It's not so much the reason for your unvote I don't like*, it's that the unvote is so pointless/bad that no reasoning would make me feel good about. The only counterargument I have is "why would scum do this?", and I'm not a fan of giving stupid shit a free pass based on that logic (mostly because WIFOM).

*although it's also true that I don't like the reasoning. If you're unsure of the vote status you don't move and let other people take care of it. Throwing an unexpected unvote into the mix doesn't help anyone. I also don't really understand being so unsure of the vote but somehow knowing that unvoting wouldn't cause a tie (as you claim).

*Splinter

Because with throwing shade you're trying to invalidate points made against you not by answering to them but by saying "I don't accept this point being made by you, because you did x". As long as you're answering (as it was the case for the most part of the first post) that's ok, it starts getting suspicious if the invalidating the person who asks the question replaces an answer.
Can you give examples of where you think Verelios has done this?

Ty4on

And Ty4on you can spare me about flip flopping on my Royal vote too, because I'm sure you're just foaming at the mouth to point that out again.
Nah, your vote on CM is just confusing ATM.

The scummy thing was your read of Flush didn't seem to fit a vote. You read more as someone reworking their read to fit a vote.

*Splinter

I still don't quite understand the Flush votes. I'm not really town reading him, but his posts didn't stick out as being terribly different from the Flush I've seen before. Maybe a little less bite, but then that other game had town eating itself.

His weird defence of Sophia also seems odd if they are W/W. There's precedence of him defending scum as town like when he defended Worthy in Danny Phantom.
Minor point, but I don't like this comment. It feels weird to specifically talk about defending scum as town, since as town he wouldn't know he's defending scum, it's not a conscious decision to do so. It's fair to point to precedence of him defending someone as town, but that's obviously a much weaker link, so it feels like mentioning defending scum specifically is just a way to bolster your argument.

*Splinter

I must admit his defense is weird (Why would scum make that defense? As it would undoubtedly verify me as townie when he flips), and melon's straight vote on him is giving me pause. But I'm not changing it unless someone proposes a better lynch target and with reason.
RFiJNyN.gif

Also melon's vote was late and after at least 2 people (you and I) talked about a lack of interaction between her and Flush. I'll give her some benefit of the doubt (as she claims to have been unavailable) but I'm also not going to assume she would have voted unprompted.

*Splinter

Honestly, the whole conversation of Verelios and Him seemed like a difference of opinions to me. It was snarky, but nothing particularly stood out that made me town read or scum read either of them off that.

I don't know what to think of Verelios, thinking about it.
Yeah this has been pretty much my read of that whole thing as well.

Ty4on

Minor point, but I don't like this comment. It feels weird to specifically talk about defending scum as town, since as town he wouldn't know he's defending scum, it's not a conscious decision to do so. It's fair to point to precedence of him defending someone as town, but that's obviously a much weaker link, so it feels like mentioning defending scum specifically is just a way to bolster your argument.
Defending controversial figures I guess.

Do you remember when he last defended scum as town? I think there's more to this.

*Splinter

(I think I forgot to respond to this post before, only remembered when CM quoted it).

Oh yeah, sure, sure. I post a bunch of notes and no one cares, I make a mistake and everyone jumps on it.

*grumble grumble*
Your notes where a list of observations with no analysis or reactions. I meant to go back and see if you where one of the people who criticised nin for doing that (and nin's notes had at least some commentary to them).

Ty4on

Do you remember when he last defended scum as town? I think there's more to this.
It feels a bit self conscious here so I wanna compare it to older games.

I'm also starting to wonder if Sophia/Flush could be W/W. After Flush' big posts back on page 12 (100) there really isn't much discussion between the two despite both being so active and Sophia emphasizing in her posts trying to read Flush.

Verelios

Top Town
Sophia
Splinter
Stanley
Blarg

Top Scum
Verelios
Royal
Christina (Hunch)

I am leaving my vote now since by Day End I'll be asleep, most likely.

Vote: Verelios
This is some best of both world's bs

I don't think I'll be able to post that much today. I think I can make it back to an internet capable device half an hour before the deadline.

Oho, I'm honored
Oh, please don't be.

How many times am I going to give side eye today, just say what you meant then instead of dancing around.
I think you thought I implied you were Scum when all I implied was that I'm Town trying to figure out your alignment. One could interpret that as a minor scummy overreaction. I'm sure you'll give your honest opinion about what you actually thought I implied there now.

You know what, I'm tired of this particular dance... What I got from our exchange is that you're avoiding anything that even has a slight chance of being a trap.

I don't think that is what Sophia is asking.

If you are being completely honest here then why did you not follow up on Topo? That's what I interpreted Sophia's question as because it's in response to you comment that you had not noticed any change between Day 1 Topo and Day 2 Topo. Seeing as you had Topo as your Top Scum on Day 1, there is a disconnect here since you claim he has not changed but at the same time you haven't done much in terms of engaging him this Day phase.
I already had an exchange with Topo at the end of D1. Since then not many Scummy things came from him. Plus I was more curious about Verelios.

@Splinter (sorry, don't have the quote at hand):
But it's easier to search through. What is your problem with just writing a list or even posting your current Scum subject? Are you unable to not tunnel once you wrote down a name or something?

What is your problem with actually looking at player interactions/votes? It sounds like you're trying to steer people away from getting legitimate reads into 'LIST LIST LIST' time.
Yes. Please point me to where I did say otherwise. However, I think that doing nothing but shitposting all day is even more odd. Do you disagree here?

I agree, you should probably fix that habit [I'm assuming that refers to "shitposting"]. What problems did you have with my post then?

Re: Stan (question from ty4on): I don't really have the time right now for a deeper look, but nothing unusual in particular that I remember standing out.

*Splinter

@Splinter (sorry, don't have the quote at hand):
Oh that first example is easily the worst post Verelios has made. His general refusal to give scum reads is garbage, and in that post he goes slightly further by misrepresenting your position.

The second one though seems fair enough. Sarcastic response to a sarcastic question.

nin1000

Banned
Ok, I am Back and Trading through the thread as I speak.

From overloking the thread it Looks like there is a Push for Royal. Have to read through the reasons why he is being voted on.

RFiJNyN.gif

Also melon's vote was late and after at least 2 people (you and I) talked about a lack of interaction between her and Flush. I'll give her some benefit of the doubt (as she claims to have been unavailable) but I'm also not going to assume she would have voted unprompted.

You both seemed to have missed that I talked about Royal being scum before you both brought it up. He was going to be my vote for the day regardless.

Ty4on

After a light read of the middle of Bloodborne I noticed Verelios was surprisingly aggressive there. Gonna read D1 soon, but anyone else remember how he was there?

I haven't voiced it because it wasn't scummy per say (gonna voice it bow to save my scum buddy Flush ^_^), but Gorlak is more aggressive than what I remember him being as town. Also more tunneling and less uncertain.

Just in case I don't get back in time and get lynched:

- If Sophia today again overrides her double vote with a normal vote she's very likely neutral with a win condition that involves the double vote.
- Look not at the people that started harping at me but the people who mention they would vote for me once momentum began to form but didn't commit.
- Don't spare the coasters. That's what cost us Danny Phantom.

All people that currently have votes except Sophia (and myself) are at least ok choices for a lynch.

vote: SalvaPot
You all know that needs to be done at some point.

I also really would want to vote Verelios. I have the feeling he's very interested in avoiding traps and not looking Scummy. But he engages with people and calls them out. That's actually the only thing that gives me a pause here.

Ty4on

[...]
Early D1 is mostly a dispute with Sawneeks and not-really-helpful posts. Sawneek's vote seems to be a random vote that she later justifies by putting words into his mouth. I mean seriously, does this
Sorry about that, I meant whichever way the flip went we would learn something new, whether the person was a good pokemon or relatively freedom fighter Pokemon, trainer or Team Rocket.

Of course hitting town hurts in the long run, but first day has always seemed to me to be a gamble. I'm not averse to a day 1 lynch, I just wouldn't be put out by a no lynch.

say "We should lynch a random person on D1"? I don't think so. I honestly didn't pay much attention to the Verelios-Sawneeks dispute so I didn't catch it, but I feel Sawneeks is intentionally or not drastically misinterpreting his words.
[...]
Verelios totally suggested randomizing the lynch a few posts earlier:
[...]
Good, good. I'm not that particular about lynch or no lynch, but if we really want to make everything fair then why not randomize it? Everyone gets an equal chance of being lynched, no one's sore (probably), and we all learn something for the day. Of course, if anyone has a better idea I'd like to listen.

nin1000

Banned
Salvapot...I hadn't read into anything you've posted as weird or particularly fluffy before, but those posts come out to seem fluffy.

Hello verelios. Can you elaborate on this comment once more?

It Struck me beacuse in my mind salva had been doing the exact opposite. Writing bs and fluff posts until he came to his senses and Made a pretty good Post (Of course he repated something that hasld been alreqdy said, but he put hia Take on things ). You called him for that Post and called it fluff. I mean How can you say that his previous posts where not bs / fluff while saxijg that the above is.

*Splinter

I haven't voiced it because it wasn't scummy per say (gonna voice it bow to save my scum buddy Flush ^_^), but Gorlak is more aggressive than what I remember him being as town. Also more tunneling and less uncertain.
Lol I have to disagree. Nothing is too aggressive or tunneling for town-Gorlak :p

nin1000

Banned
Goddam people slow down a bit, I can't keep up. 5 pages in a day?

Well, let me comment on the night since its easier.

So we know Barry used to be a Pokemon Trainer, that is neat, but raises a few questions. Are there more pokemon trainers? Do the captured pokemon lose their alignment? Do they revert back to townies if their trainer dies?

Also, I think its safe to assume Team Rocket is One trainer or two trainers and a few pokemon, and probably have a recruiter, but I'll say if they do it has to be limited, maybe one shot. If this happens I recommend that, if someone gets revealed by a cop, to be careful he doesn't get cleaned just because of it since he could be recruited.

It seems to me this game is designed with "Pokemon teams" in mind. Also, if the new Lady Gaga dies tonight then its likely then the new pokemon he tried to catch becomes Lady Gaga. Man, talk about confusing.

So, all said, I think we are looking at at least 4 trainers, probably like this.
-Two town trainers
-One Neutral trainer
-One scum trainer

With the amount of player we have, its likely this is designed to capture at least 3 pokemon per team. It also sounds like once you are captured you are getting a new pm, so in that case its likely you get a new command to help your team win.

Salvadors Post that got called out.

Please respond as soon as you can

*Splinter

Hello verelios. Can you elaborate on this comment once more?

It Struck me beacuse in my mind salva had been doing the exact opposite. Writing bs and fluff posts until he came to his senses and Made a pretty good Post (Of course he repated something that hasld been alreqdy said, but he put hia Take on things ). You called him for that Post and called it fluff. I mean How can you say that his previous posts where not bs / fluff while saxijg that the above is.
Hey nin can you do more of those long notes/read posts you were doing earlier? I don't mind who you look at but someone you haven't done yet

Ty4on

Lol I have to disagree. Nothing is too aggressive or tunneling for town-Gorlak :p

Maybe my sample size was too small. I went over LB when Kark/Zipped claimed and it stood out to me how uncertain Gorlak was at times. IIRC he voted both Kark/Zipped and Timeflux that day before turboing Blawl.

nin1000

Banned
Hey nin can you do more of those long notes/read posts you were doing earlier? I don't mind who you look at but someone you haven't done yet

Sure. I got some complaints about that on D1 for not doing something so I stopped and tried to do the react player.

I will do so Earl enough before the day ends. Bate with me .

Top Bottom