• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Pokémon Mafia |OT| Gotta Catch Em’ Scum!

gahddanm weve posted a lot.

alrighty then. i cant guarantee i got everything, or really much of anything. (i only read through Day 2 posts since i didnt feeling like reading an entire novel tonight) but i do have more thought out thoughts now.

Verelios - dont know what i was feeling here. generally speaking i only see good contributions, actively chasing ideas, and some incredible patience in their kumite with Royal. i feeling Town.
Royal Flush -his arguments against Vere went from resonable agression so some straight feverdream excess real quick. cant quite nail down why but alot of the everything he says just doesnt quite sit right with me. call it a gut read but im really feeling scum.
Nin1000 - to put it simply, nin aint done shit. i dont see a single profound idea being shared, and a seeming disinterest in any kind of active play. unfortunately this is just like he played last game, where he was town, and i lynched him
mistakes were made
. naturally this leaves me feeling very conflicted, so i think i will postpone final judgement for now.
El Topo -was not a fan of his earlier play which left ill defined scummy vibes, and today not a lot to go on (due to understandable Rl stuff). but recent posts have had me feeling much better bout him. feeling maybe scum but maybe not so will watch closerly from now.

was also gona look at CM but lolduckthat its 2am

vote: Royal_Flush

g'night yall, try not to screw up completely.

I can see her being trigger happy and wanting to claim a PR so people voting for her get cold feet.

If she's a neutral who has to use it, why didn't she just claim right away or come up with a better excuse for her double vote?

Could be part of her win condition as neutral to use the double vote ability for x days?

Maybe she's the trigger happy sort but having never played with her, I've no point of reference. If this was Blargonaut instead, I wouldn't have given it a second thought.

Coming forward as a neutral is almost a certain lynch. Town with no clear targets will almost always go for the neutral. Bad idea to claim.

nin1000

Banned
Vote: Royal_Flush

Was hoping for more of a reaction from CM than I got. Oh well.

Oh? What does that involve exactly?

Can you respond to my question Sophia san ?
I guess royal may have a point with you putting a double vote on someone and voting for someone later on.

El Topo

I take it you're not Lady Gaga? You don't have to tell us what your trainer is called. Could be helpful to confirm them.

I'm not Lady Gaga. I was legitimately caught. I can reveal though that the trainers are not pop-themed, as LP joked at the start of D1.

Ty4on

Could be part of her win condition as neutral to use the double vote ability for x days?

Maybe she's the trigger happy sort but having never played with her, I've no point of reference. If this was Blargonaut instead, I wouldn't have given it a second thought.

Coming forward as a neutral is almost a certain lynch. Town with no clear targets will almost always go for the neutral. Bad idea to claim.
I mean coming forth (lying) as town aligned double voter. The random way she used her power to me looks like someone who wasn't planning on revealing it. A neutral with that win condition would know they had to show it and IMO be much more likely to make up a cover story.

nin1000

Banned
I mean coming forth (lying) as town aligned double voter. The random way she used her power to me looks like someone who wasn't planning on revealing it. A neutral with that win condition would know they had to show it and IMO be much more likely to make up a cover story.

What are your thoughs on the current situation. Sophia dropping the double on CM and putting a normal vote on royal.

El Topo

What happens when you get caught?

I can only speak regarding the PM I got:
Your alignment does not change, but you do get a secondary alignment.
Your win condition does not change, but you get a secondary win condition.
You gain access to a special mason chat, but you can no longer use your power.

Sophia

Hello Sophia. Since you have a one time double vote, wouldn't it be more efficient if you would use it 4 hours ,or less, before the day ends ? What I am trying to say is that you can place a normal vote on one of the players that you find auspicious. But in the end , if you really want to make an impact it usually is more effective at the day end ( of course not too close to the deadline ). What are your thoughs on it and how will you be trying to use it in the coming days. ( Of course if you don't want to respond to the last bit I can understand since the surprise is also a ln effective tool )

It is indeed more effective as the day draws to an end, but I'm not using it today. I'm not actually sure I'll fire it at all because I'm not usually one to hammer votes period. In the case of CM I was just trying to be intimidating because I had scum reads on them after going back through the thread, but alas, it didn't get the reactions I had hoped for. :p

Could you be more specific? What exactly do you want to know?

What does it do for your alignment? Do you have two objectives now?

Ty4on

Does it say what happens to it, like does your trainer get it or is it just removed from the game?

*Splinter

It is indeed more effective as the day draws to an end, but I'm not using it today. I'm not actually sure I'll fire it at all because I'm not usually one to hammer votes period. In the case of CM I was just trying to be intimidating because I had scum reads on them after going back through the thread, but alas, it didn't get the reactions I had hoped for. :p

What does it do for your alignment? Do you have two objectives now?
Sophia is this ability 1 shot or multi-shot?

*Splinter

No alternate win condition. A secondary win condition, that requires the regular one to be fulfilled.
Also do you know - with 100% certainty - the alignment of the person that caught you?

Is the mason chat just for the caught Pokemon? Or just you and the trainer? Or both?

El Topo

Does it say what happens to it, like does your trainer get it or is it just removed from the game?

It simply says that you can no longer use your ability, unless your trainer dies.

So if you fulfill the first condition (which, for arguments sake, we will assume is a town win) but the second, you lose?

No. I am town, so my regular win condition is a town win. If town wins and certain conditions are met, I get a "stronger" win.

1) Mafia wins => I lose
2) Town wins & Condition not met => I win
3) Town wins & Condition met => I win really hard

I think she did that? In response to Gorlak's questions. I wouldn't say it's exactly random the way she used it. She got her excuses

Day 1 - Blarg with his Mexican standoff shenannigans
Day 2 - Me going meta on her.

• Because I wanted to talk more about Melon, and Splinter came out of nowhere and voted on her which means he had some opinion on the subject. But it was too late to discuss it.
  • No particular reason. I wanted to give Blarg something to talk about. =P
  • I'm Piplup, a water type Pokemon. X-Shot Double Voter. I'm not telling you how many shots. Only consumed if my double vote is on someone at day end tho.
  • Yes, I'm town aligned.

Ty4on

I think she did that? In response to Gorlak's questions. I wouldn't say it's exactly random the way she used it. She got her excuses

Day 1 - Blarg with his Mexican standoff shenannigans
Day 2 - Me going meta on her.
"I just wanted to give Blarg something to talk about"
Sounds very random to me.

Isn't it weird that she spent used a double vote on you, but dropped it right as you entered the thread instead of keeping her attack on you up and running? That doesn't look like someone solving the game to me.

El Topo

Also I learn the identity of the trainer and the other pokemon that got caught by the trainer.

Also do you know - with 100% certainty - the alignment of the person that caught you?

Is the mason chat just for the caught Pokemon? Or just you and the trainer? Or both?

It seems to be a general chat for the trainer and their caught pokemon.
I don't explicitly know the alignment of the trainer, which is why I was cautious. Discussions with my trainer and the win condition stuff from the PM convince me that my trainer is likely town though, as otherwise the PM would be misleading (in my opinion).

Sophia

"I just wanted to give Blarg something to talk about"
Sounds very random to me.

Isn't it weird that she spent used a double vote on you, but dropped it right as you entered the thread instead of keeping her attack on you up and running? That doesn't look like someone solving the game to me.

I haven't used a shot yet. The double vote is only consumed if the day ends with it active.

Ynnek7

It simply says that you can no longer use your ability, unless your trainer dies.

No. I am town, so my regular win condition is a town win. If town wins and certain conditions are met, I get a "stronger" win.

1) Mafia wins => I lose

Is there precedence for something like this? A better win? I don't remember seeing anything like that in the games I've read closely.

*Splinter

1) Mafia wins => I lose
Hmm

Now that you don't have your power, do you think it's a good idea to claim what it was (along with any actions you might have taken).

If you targeted anyone last night I think you should reveal that in case you're killed, but again this depends to some extent on what your power is.

Ty4on

I haven't used a shot yet. The double vote is only consumed if the day ends with it active.
I didn't mean it that way. I see is phrased weirdly (mobile and doubling words) as well. I meant as making a show (you've only doubled twice) only to drop it when nobody followed you.

Ty4on

1) Mafia wins => I lose
Any reason why you're not revealing those conditions?

*Splinter

Oh can I remind people that these are gossip chats, not mason ones. I know I already made that mistake myself, but it's an important distinction (PiR was a gossip mislabeled as a mason chat, for example, and I think that skewed the conversation in a way unhelpful to town).

*Splinter

Oh yeah I'd like to know the alternate win condition - even though I won't believe you.

Apart from that I have no further questions, but any other info at your discretion would be good.

Sophia

I didn't mean it that way. I see is phrased weirdly (mobile and doubling words) as well. I meant as making a show (you've only doubled twice) only to drop it when nobody followed you.

Right, not much be gained by firing it off for show, and likewise why waste it on Royal when he's already the vote leader?

It seems to be a general chat for the trainer and their caught pokemon.
I don't explicitly know the alignment of the trainer, which is why I was cautious. Discussions with my trainer and the win condition stuff from the PM convince me that my trainer is likely town though, as otherwise the PM would be misleading (in my opinion).

What do you hope town gains by learning of the trainer information? If you think your trainer is town aligned, do you think you'll be the target of a night kill now?

El Topo

Is there precedence for something like this? A better win? I don't remember seeing anything like that in the games I've read closely.

No idea. Maybe in those OG games?

Now that you don't have your power, do you think it's a good idea to claim what it was (along with any actions you might have taken).

If you targeted anyone last night I think you should reveal that in case you're killed, but again this depends to some extent on what your power is.

I will not reveal anything regarding my power or who I used it on, unless absolutely necessary.

Any reason why you're not revealing those conditions?

Why give information on secondary town-aligned win conditions? Only if absolutely demanded by majority.

What do you hope town gains by learning of the trainer information? If you think your trainer is town aligned, do you think you'll be the target of a night kill now?

Maybe. On the one hand I can no longer use my power, on the other hand I have access to a chat. I think it would be a very safe lynch, but then they apparently NKed Barrylocke, a low info kill.

*Splinter

It's definitely unusual, but since there are multiple trainers catching Pokemon and deaths every day/night, I'm willing to give this the benefit of the doubt until we get a flip with more info.

The important thing for now is that Topo is being clear about what he is claiming, so he can't wiggle if it doesn't match what we see later.

Ty4on

Why give information on secondary town-aligned win conditions? Only if absolutely demanded by majority.
¯_(ツ)_/¯

You just seemed so open about everything wise, but I generally trust you and the win condition not going against town seems to be supported by Barrylocke's flip.

Burbeting

Banned
sophia (1)
gorlak 830
thegoddamn 1044 (1155)

verelios (2)
melonrabbit 832 (871)
fireblend 1226
salvapot 1355

roytheone (0)
sawneeks 836 (911)
blargonaut 985 (1015)

dusk soldier (1)
roytheone 872

nin1000 (0)
sawneeks 911 (1285)

stanleypalmtree (0)
verelios 923 (988)

blargonaut (0)
blargonaut 1015 (1161)

royal_flush (6)
*splinter 1129
sawneeks 1285
sophia 1291 (1342)
melonrabbit 1326
verelios 1346
stanleypalmtree 1451
sophia 1454

unmasked ferret (0)
blargonaut 1167 (1201)

salvapot (2)
blargonaut 1201
royal_flush 1387

thegoddamn (1)
ty4on 1255

christina mackenzie (0)
sophia 1342 (1454)
sophia 1342 (1454)

bla_1474484400.png

*Splinter

I will not reveal anything regarding my power or who I used it on, unless absolutely necessary.

If you're going to refuse can you at least say why? Why would you - now effectively an ordinary - not reveal who you targeted N1? Why shouldn't you give information on a secondary win condition? Your situation is more comparable to neutral than town now.

Sophia

Well, it made a bunch of people say we shouldn't lynch you because we'd potentially lose a PR.

Then considering town double voter is an extremely weak power for town that could easily be counter-productive, perhaps we should start looking at that bunch of people for Day 3? :p

FINALLY

yum

yum

I don't believe you

Let's say I do believe you, and upon capture, you as a Pokemon and a Power Role, subsequently lose your power; then what is your contribution to their society? You gain the sublime private privilege of whispering bittersweet nothings into your Trainer's ear? Chat is bleh. We can talk in here. Sounds mighty underwhelming, if you ask me

You gotta do something, even if it's something lame like being transmogrified into a meat shield/Compulsive Loyal Bodyguard for your Trainer

No alternate win condition. A secondary win condition, that requires the regular one to be fulfilled.

uh-huh

What is it, Badge-earning? Leader defense? A hit-list? It's a hit-list, isn't it

It's always a hit-list

This, on the other hand... 🤔

Sorry but I don't follow, you're going to have to spell it out for me.

If you think Sophia is neither scum nor town CM, then she's a neutral and we should take action, no?

I wish I could say for certain as well. I did ask this before to melonrabbit, she says maybe but roytheone thinks not. I don't think Ty4on sees her as neutral.

Do you still feel like Lone_Prodigy isn't playing as his normal self?

*Splinter

Then considering town double voter is an extremely weak power for town that could easily be counter-productive, perhaps we should start looking at that bunch of people for Day 3? :p
I'm glad you agree it's weak, in that case I'll push my ultimatum despite you not answering my question.

I want you to use your double vote today whether it's needed or not. If you refuse you will have my vote tomorrow.

Why?

Suppose you are town:
A double vote isn't a big deal, I don't mind seeing one wasted - especially if it's multi shot.

Suppose you are scum:
It's still weak (for now) but can bring lylo forward a day, therefore I'd prefer you waste a shot now.

Suppose you are neutral:
Then I dont know what your win condition is but (unless you can tell me a safe way to remove you from the game) I want you to waste a shot now.

Sophia

I'm glad you agree it's weak, in that case I'll push my ultimatum despite you not answering my question.

I want you to use your double vote today whether it's needed or not. If you refuse you will have my vote tomorrow.

Why?

Suppose you are town:
A double vote isn't a big deal, I don't mind seeing one wasted - especially if it's multi shot.

Suppose you are scum:
It's still weak (for now) but can bring lylo forward a day, therefore I'd prefer you waste a shot now.

Suppose you are neutral:
Then I dont know what your win condition is but (unless you can tell me a safe way to remove you from the game) I want you to waste a shot now.

Fine, I'll play your game.

Double: Royal_Flush

Why?

Suppose you are town:

AHFa6wn.gif

Suppose you are scum:

dHUmBSp.gif

Suppose you are neutral:

EQuLlMm.gif

Fine, I'll play your game.

Double: Royal_Flush

Sophia used Dig

Top Bottom