• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Pokemon Speculation: What Mega Evolution Do You Want in XY (POSSIBLE SPOILERS)

Watch Da Birdie

I buy cakes for myself on my birthday it's not weird lots of people do it I bet
Thought I'd open up a thread so this stuff wouldn't flood the thread dedicated to the actual confirmed Mega Pokemon.

TGeFO4Q.jpg

Anyway, one of the biggest, controversial, and most exciting features of Pokemon XY are Mega Evolutions, temporary power-ups for Pokemon that grant them stat boosts, new abilities and, in one case so far, a new Type. The only drawback we've seen so far is you can only have one Mega Pokemon, and need to sacrifice its Item Slot to hold a Mega Stone.

Confirmed Mega Pokemon and Changes
* Venusaur: Thick Fat and higher defenses
* Charizard: Drought and higher special attack
* Blastoise: Mega Launcher (boosts power of "Pulse" moves)
* Ampharos: Electric/Dragon and Mold Breaker
* Absol: Magic Bounce and higher attack and speed
* Mawile: Huge Power and higher defenses
* Mewtwo: Insomnia and higher special attack
* Lucario: Adaptability and higher attack
* Blaziken: Speed Boost and higher attack
* Kangaskhan: Parental Bond (allows baby to attack as well)

Rumored Mega Evolutions
* Scizor: Mentioned by Hirobyte, who leaked the types of Sylveon and the Legendaries. Hiro also said there would be way more Mega Evolutions than expected.
* Second Mega Mewtwo? Mentioned by WPM in his leaks, which have all came true more or less. Could be Mega Mew, as it mentions it looking more like Mew.
* Gengar, Pinsir, Jynx, Gyarados, Aerodactyl, Houndoom, Tyranitar, Heracross, Gardevoir,Medicham, Banette, Latias, Latios, Aggron, Abomasnow. All these Pokemon were recently re-trademarked last year alongside the Kanto Starters, Absol, and Ampharos. These are probably likely to get Mega Evolutions it seems, but these are probably not the only ones as Mawile didn't appear listed nor did Blaziken.

So, in this thread, let's talk about which Pokemon you'd like to see get a Mega Evolution. We haven't seen any solid rules laid down for who can get them yet, but it appears it'll probably be limited to fully evolved Pokemon. Do you want to see one of your favorites get stronger? Or do you want an under-loved, weakling to get a much needed boost?

iW4fyX1.jpg

For me personally it's my main Pokemon Medicham, the first Pokemon I ever EV-trained, and my main battler. Medicham is a pretty cool Pokemon, and in fact it looks like I may get my wish as there was a list of re-trademarked Pokemon going around recently that seemed like they may be getting Mega Evolutions, so I'm pretty excited to see its Mega Evolution.

Design-wise, well, I'll admit Medicham is pretty goofy, so I don't really know if they can "mess" it up...since it's got kind of a middle-eastern theme going on, I always thought giving it like a cool little veil and more "arabesque" markings on its clothing-like body would be pretty nice, like maybe give it the appearance of a belly dancer and such. Its Type is also good as it is, and mixes two of my favorite types, so I don't need that to change.

Now, I think its Ability is where it should be mixed up...you see, Medicham has Pure Power as its main ability, its trademark, which doubles its Attack...and not just its low base attack, but its current attack stat, making it one of the most powerful physical attackers in the game but, unfortunately, it's also not too fast and pretty fragile. That's where the Mega Evolution comes in, as it can give it a stat raise, so that'll be powerful on its own without needing Pure Power, perfect when a Pokemon appears that can survive a hit from Medicham or out speeds it. This opens up Mega Medicham to get another beneficial Ability...perhaps Levitate, being a yogi and all, to give it another resistance to Earthquake, or maybe Sheer Force, since, well, the recommended Medicham set has moves like the Elemental Punches and Zen Headbutt, which all have secondary effects that aren't really needed since Medicham's goal is to knock out the foe, and the extra boost would be good. Or an Accuracy boosting ability to help, well, Hi-Jump Kick always missing at the wrong time.
-------

On another note, Masquerain is another Mega Evolution I'd like to see, because Masquerain is the definition of wasted potential. Why? Well, it's a Bug/Flying Pokemon with low stats that has pretty worthless Abilities and, to add insult to injury, it evolves from the ONLY Bug/Water Pokemon ever (unless we get one in XY). Really, I don't care what they do with it, just give it back its unique Bug/Water Typing. Here's a rather nice mock-up design I've seen for it:

x81Z1Ecl.png

Mr-Joker

Banned
Mega Electrode or bust. ;p

I am personally not too fond mega evolution if they remove Pokémon chances of having a new evolution.

I am really hoping that Sylveon isn't the only Pokémon that evolve from a past Pokémon.

Watch Da Birdie

Raichu. It sucks that he's so useless.

Oh, and Mega Jynx will be the GOAT.

Well, there's this I LOVE PIKACHU+ thing in Japan, basically merchandise based on Pikachu.

Someone noticed in the logo, it has a little dot bouncing along the heads of Pichu, Pikachu, and Raichu, and then bounces up one more time:

BVkOtfq.jpg

zroid

Banned
Mega-Steelix should be transparent, made of diamond. Transparency is something they couldn't really pull off before 3D models either, so it would be a perfect fit. It would go back to Rock/Ground typing I guess, but def and hp could be ridiculous.

CorvoSol

I'll just say it: Charizard. I mean c'mon. Give the guy a break, let him upgrade to dragon-type in battle, and finally get some street cred. Arcanine would be pretty cool to see, too.

Watch Da Birdie

I'll just say it: Charizard. I mean c'mon. Give the guy a break, let him upgrade to dragon-type in battle, and finally get some street cred. Arcanine would be pretty cool to see, too.

Uh...you might want to hold onto something.

You realise X/Y is "Pokemon: "Dragons Can Fuck Off" Version", yeah? GF is doing 'Zard a favour, sparing him Fairy-type beatdowns. :p

yami4ct

Anything that has only 1 form I want a mega of, especially Pinsir. Gyrados is already rumored.

Some others I'd potentially be interested in would be Gengar, Golem, Dugtrio and Crowbat.

Korosenai

Mega Hydreigon is what I really want to see.

Hopefully we get a Mega Gengar as well.

Maybe even a Mega Slaking that doesn't have the Truant Ability.

From gen 5 (fresh on my mind cause Ijust got white recently)
Mega scrafty
Mega chandelure
Mega volcarona

Older:
Aerodactyl
Gengar
Kabutops
Pidgeot
If they do a bunch of legendaries, lugia and ho oh just for sheer ridiculousness.

I'm kind of curious about Togekiss. I love its design now, but I wonder what else they would do with it. More wings, perhaps?

Oh, and I think Raichu desperately needs one. I've had no reason to use Raichu for a long time and Pikachu is my favourite, but if Raichu gets a cool redesign I could reconsider it this gen.

Watch Da Birdie

Fiver says absolutely no Gen V Pokemon get Mega Evolutions.

There's none on the trademarked list...

But I think that has to do with the fact they're newer and probably didn't need to be re-trademarked. Might be why we only had Lucario and Abomasnow listed from Gen IV.

There's none on the trademarked list...

But I think that has to do with the fact they're newer and probably didn't need to be re-trademarked. Might be why we only had Lucario and Abomasnow listed from Gen IV.

Possibly. I think they're too new and too well-fitted to the current metagame/level of balance to need the boost, really. Mega is all about bringing old favourites back into relevance; I somehow doubt Hydreigon, Krookodile, Reuniculus etc need any help staying relevant just yet.

Watch Da Birdie

Possibly. I think they're too new and too well-fitted to the current metagame/level of balance to need the boost, really. Mega is all about bringing old favourites back into relevance; I somehow doubt Hydreigon, Krookodile, Reuniculus etc need any help staying relevant just yet.

I wonder if the majority of "true" evolutions, if we get more than Sylveon, will be Gen IV and V since we haven't had an upgrade Gen for them, whereas Gen 1, 2, and 3 all had chances to get evolutions.

Tygamr

Snorlax, Samurott, Feraligator, Nidoking/Nidoqueen, Steelix, Salamence, Metagross, Gliscor, Garchomp, Hydregion... So many Pokemon that a mega evolution would be cool for.

Top Bottom