• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Pokemon Sun/Moon new info - Starter evolutions, Demo, Ash-Greninja

I like Oshawott's line though, especially the middle-form. And Popplio is perfect, what are you talking about?

I probably would have liked the Gen V starters more if they actually had good movepools and stats.

I feel like Gen II had the same problems. Relatively decent designs, but crap battling wise.

Greninja wouldn't be such a popular Pokemon unless it was well designed (which it is). It's an above average design that's appealing to people.

I think Greninja is still the best starter of that generation (although Ash has done his best to tarnish that). However, I agree that the rampant favouritism is hugely annoying. If one of a starter group gets something, the others also should.

And on that note, fuck the Megazards.

I absolutely love greninja. So much so that I broke my fire starter 4ever for the first time in X/Y. But the ash greninja...... I hate it. It doesn't make sense to me. I don't like megas but I dealt with em. I really don't like the sound of Z moves but we've yet to see if they're overpowered yet. This greninja abomination though .... Ewwww. Merging with humans is just weird Digimon territory. No sir, I don't like it.

Yeah, I don't dislike Greninja really at all. I'm not utterly in love with it but I quite like the design. But the Bond thing just kind of really shallowly pumps it up for the anime and now it's in the game because it's popular with kids.

Mostly I'm just not super impressed with it. Usually Pokémon walks the line well with the obligatory humanoid "cool" designs, and Greninja is no exception. But the Bond mechanic is just pure "oh this Pokémon is so special wow look how special it is" for the sake of using it as a selling point. And it's just not that cool.

TWILT

Banned
Team Rowlet stays winning. Archer Rowlet shall be glorious.

Ash-Greninja looks pretty cool (even if he'll probably have a 10-0 MU against Mega Charizard X), but I hope he has a good enough stat boost so I can consider using him over Protean Greninja.

I think Greninja is still the best starter of that generation (although Ash has done his best to tarnish that). However, I agree that the rampant favouritism is hugely annoying. If one of a starter group gets something, the others also should.

And on that note, fuck the Megazards.

Uh, the anime made the thing even more popular. What are you talking about?

It'll also be no time at all before someone cracks the QR code required, and then we can gen Pokémon without it affecting people who don't want to play rental.

I could definitely see rental teams being disallowed in rating or at least championship formats.

Mr-Joker

Banned
Honestly Brionne is growing on me and I look forward to using her on my Moon team.

Looking online, I was just reminded about Eternal Floette. Although that was a separate form, not an ability. They could always retcon it, or just put the form in the game with Light of Ruin.

Oh yeah I forgot all about that, just another example of how Gen 6 just came and went.

It's actually interesting to see people complain about a feminine looking starter when more of the starters have looked more masculine leaning in ways. Not saying anyone here but I noticed quite a few of those Poketubers state how uncomfortable they are with it.

Pfft who cares what Pokétubers thinks? They make nonsense video with vague clickbait title and nonsense theory videos.

Honestly I always suspected that Popplio would have a feminine look as we had a feminine looking grass and fire starters so Water starter due to have one.

Dragoshi1

Nah breh, Alain was the better trainer. Literally undefeated.

Didn't Zard X lose against the Primals?

I think he got impaled or something.

Either way, excited and hyped as hell for this demo, I hope we can also customize our trainer, if only a little. I hope it isn't as short as ORAS's demo either.

Fireblend

Banned
I don't think the QR codes will contain the team information so that custom QR generators could be created, as sweet that sounds.

I'm sure the way they'll work is you'll register a team, the team will be uploaded to a server, then a QR will be created referencing where the team is stored in the server, and when you read the QR the system will have to go online to retrieve the team data from the server.

I suppose you can still do server-spoofing to get around that but it's a more complex setup than if the QR codes contained the team data itself.

wait is super training really gone ? in exchange for the unova market?

No, people don't know how to reading comprehension with a lot of these reveals.

I don't know that we've received confirmation that Super Training is in or out (maybe we have), but there is NO indication in the trailer that the Join Avenue successor has replaced it at all. You could get EVs there in BW2 as well.

Same with Triples, and Megas in online. Megas will most certainly be legal after they open up online modes to more than the Alola dex.

Merc_

I guess I'm a weirdo because I actually like Brionne's look. Still going with Rowlet for my starter though. I'm pretty cool with Ash-Greninja too.

Wait, I thought the thing they showed in the trailer raised Ivs, not EVs. Is that wrong?

The Festival Plaza thing is just straight up Join Avenue (as far as I can tell).

In the trailer it showed using the bounce house to increase Pikachu's base stats (EVs). There was a similar building in Join Avenue.

Permanently A

I have a general question - when doing stuff like IV/EV training, how do you know what is best suited for each Pokemon? Like do you look at its base stats and just pump up whatever the highest one is?

Kyzer

Banned
No, people don't know how to reading comprehension with a lot of these reveals.

I don't know that we've received confirmation that Super Training is in or out (maybe we have), but there is NO indication in the trailer that the Join Avenue successor has replaced it at all. You could get EVs there in BW2 as well.

Same with Triples, and Megas in online. Megas will most certainly be legal after they open up online modes to more than the Alola dex.

yeah ok thats what i thought

Puruzi

Banned
fs9Y2Oy.png

Strimei

Brionne brought me around on Popplio, though I'm still going Rowlet.

Its cute.

Anyway, glad to see the middle-evos, and I, like many others I imagine, will be naming my Rowlet Takumi because...well, he reminds me of a certain pineapple archer.

And not surprised to see megas back. I chuckled whenever I saw people theorize them not coming back. Of course they were.

Eiolon

Does anyone know if Ash Greninja is only obtainable through the special demo or can it be obtained in the full version as well?

Thoraxes

Wonder why they went with 2 r's in Torracat when 1 r would've been enough for the pun.

Either way, guess those early leaks were super real now lol. Looking forward to giant fire cat.

Would be cool if the Popplio's final evo is Water/Fairy and Litten's is Fire/Dark. But of course we'll probably end up getting pure Water and Fire/Fighting.

I have a general question - when doing stuff like IV/EV training, how do you know what is best suited for each Pokemon? Like do you look at its base stats and just pump up whatever the highest one is?
IVs there is no reason not to want max HP, Def and Sp.Def. Atk/Sp.A generally Pokemon choose one or other (mixed attackers are rare but sometimes it gives options otherwise unavailable) and Speed is max or 0 (for trick room). Hidden power is a headache for IVs (I'm hoping this changed for Sun/Moon) and I find it kind of cheesy with how much coverage it can give.

Now EVs a spread of 252/252/6 based on role is basic thinking. Something like Garchomp will put 252 into speed, 252 into attack then 6 in HP for example while Venusaur would probably want 252 in HP instead of speed. Higher level play you find very specific spreads used for certain situations (e.g. surviving a hit that would otherwise KO or something not traditionally known for speed being given enough speed to outspeed something).

There are berries that reduce EVs so if mistakes are made they can be undone.

It's all situational, thats part of the strategy. If a Pokemon has high attack and low defense do you buff attack because it's defense is worthless, or do you put all your points in defense so it can take more than one hit?

This means Pokemon of the same species can play differently based on thier move sets and stat manipulation.

ffdgh

Would be cool if the Popplio's final evo is Water/Fairy and Litten's is Fire/Dark. But of course we'll probably end up getting pure Water and Fire/Fighting.

I don't think they're crazy enough to repeat the mistake they made for samurott and emboar. Such a shame the samurai wasn't the one with part fighting...

UberTag

I don't know about the rest of you guys but I think it's positively inspired that Nintendo managed to slot this game's release during the same week as Disney's Moana to really capitalize on the tropical island vibe in both properties.

Takashi

What ever happened to the rumor that the starter evolutions were somehow tied to Rockruff's split evolutions? Was it like a mistranslation or just speculation?

Top Bottom