• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Pokkén Tournament DX Review Thread

VOOKS 4/5
Pokken Tournament DX is really good. It was good on the Wii U, and it's still good on the Switch. While I would've appreciated if the developers put more effort into giving DX a little more meat on its bones, there's no denying that what's already here is great fun. If you've never given this game a go, now's the perfect time to check it out.
Nintendo Life 9.0
Pokkén is also a solid choice for Switch because it perfectly suits the console's local multiplayer ethos; the game's control scheme fits perfectly on a single Joy-Con, which means you can take the fight with you anywhere you wish. Whether or not the five additional Battle Pokémon and the light dusting of additional modes and features will be enough to convince existing Pokkén fans to upgrade so soon after the Wii U version remains to be seen, but taken on its own merits this is comfortably one of the the best fighting games on the Switch right now, and offers surprising depth, stunning presentation, brilliant offline and onli ne multiplayer modes and bags of replayability.
TheSixthAxis 9.0
With an expanded roster that only improves on an already great lineup, fantastic gameplay, and an increased range of challenges and modes, Pokkén Tournament DX is true fighting game gold.
Twinfinite 4/5
Pokken Tournament DX is still one of the most well-executed fighting games that's able to cater to casual players, while also delivering enough depth and complexity to master for those looking for it. While the bulk of the title hasn't changed much, it's the small things that really add up. The expanded roster and improved local play, combined with the game's existing fantastic gameplay and rewarding sense of progression, makes this the definitive version of Pokken Tournament.
Attack of the Fanboy 4/5

Pokken Tournament DX is the definitive release of Bandai Namco's Pokemon fighter. With more characters, modes, and other features, it enhances and improves on the original in a few key areas. However, it's not a complete overhaul at all, so those who never enjoyed the fighting mechanics will still want to stay away. If you're looking for a solid fighting game on Nintendo Switch though, you can't go wrong here.
Destructoid 7.5
Pokkén Tournament DX won't exactly draw in those who aren't interested in fighting games or who've already played the version released on the Wii U, but it does offer a fun system to fool around with to those waiting for a train or sitting on a toilet or something.
DualShockers 7.5

If you missed Pokkén Tournament on Wii U and are a fan of fighting games, I highly recommend it, as it is easy to get into and brings some interesting changes to genre.
App Trigger 7.5
If you were still playing Pokken Tournament on the Wii U or intend to play competitively, you shouldn't miss this version's five new characters and slight tweaks like Daily Challenges and Team Battles. But if your copy of the original was gathering dust, you're not missing anything more than the equivalent of a DLC patch.
God is a Geek 6.5
Pokken is a fighting game that while decent could do with understanding that complexity doesn't necessarily equal depth.
Nintendo Insider - 8/10
Pokkén Tournament DX remains a robust, fun and accessible fighter. It sports some incredible mechanics, with the seamless shifts between 2D and 3D planes easily helping to make each brawl feel exciting. But there isn't much improvement on the original away from new content, meaning that those who have pummeled their opponents into submission on Wii U may be more conflicted about a second purchase – although it will be where the competitive community shifts to.
The Outerhaven - 4/5
Pokken Tournament DX is definitely worth the upgrade. The game has changed just enough to stay fresh and the five new characters, along with the Popplio and Litten assists that were introduced, freshen the game up enough to matter in the long run. Despite the changes, everything is familiar to old players, and while Pokken DX isn't all that welcoming to newcomers, those who put the time into the game will definitely find a wealth of enjoyment. Pokken Tournament DX is a game that deserves way more than what it got in terms of support, and hopefully, on the Switch, it will get it.
For those that haven't already enjoyed heated mano-a-mano matches between Pokémon, it's the perfect chance to play an exciting fighting game that's packed with new ideas
Switchitalia.it: 7.5/10
An interesting deluxe edition, with a good amount of total contents (especially for the 5 brand new characters, pretty varied in terms of gameplay and moveset), very fresh and fun, especially due to the Switch own charactersitics (aka play it everywhere and out-of-the-box multiplayer). Not the best looking game on Switch in terms of resolution, but at least pretty fluid in every configuration.
Wccftech 7.5
Pokkén Tournament DX is a bit odd, because although I can't help but sing its praises, not much here is new, and I don't actually know who was asking for a resurgence. Still though, the Pokémon fighter is loads of fun and still looks like a great spectacle in motion - the supers just look fantastic. But if you're looking to play this by yourself, you're likely to be very disappointed.
Video Reviews
GameXplain Liked
NomComms 8/10
Source Gaming 4/5

Metacritic 79

Wow, seems to be reviewing [slightly] better than the original game on WiiU. Congrats to Namco and TPC. I'm sure it'll be another million seller like the first.

Did they fix the strange 'muddy/blurry' graphics of the Pokemon relative to everything else, in handheld mode. Really put me off the game from initially wanting it. Glad there was a demo.

Wow, seems to be reviewing [slightly] better than the original game on WiiU. Congrats to Namco and TPC. I'm sure it'll be another million seller like the first.
Well, it runs at a higher resolution and has more characters, so it's not that surprising. Added portability helps too, it's definitely the definitive version of the game.

wait what the hell? when this come out?

Friday. Very excited too, a little more stuff to keep me playing the single player, plus I don't mind actually turning this system on, so I'm way more likely to go online. In the Wii U version I really only played one Mon, so I hope to do more in this game

Berordn

pls be good, scizor

Hopefully the single player is less of a slog, but I guess there's not much point since nothing is locked.

Yukinari

Honestly if it werent for the really good net code and reduced price i got it for i would have just skipped this since i have it on wii u.

The biggest benefits for this version are having new pokemon and having them all unlocked.

Reviews are out for MVCI?

Yep, review thread here.

Honestly if it werent for the really good net code and reduced price i got it for i would have just skipped this since i have it on wii u.

The biggest benefits for this version are having new pokemon and having them all unlocked.

Yeah, that's why I'm waiting since I didn't want to double-dip for the price it is currently, even with GCU. The new characters look good, but it's not enough for me to buy it day one again.

I'll wait for a possible deal or sale. May take a long while, but I can wait.

TWILT

Banned
Enjoyed the first game quite a bit, so I'll be picking this up. Scizor and Decidueye are gonna be a lot of fuuuun.

I got a £10 for my Wii U version from a friend and was able to preorder this for £36 so it was a no brainier at that price.

I got my use of the Wii U version last year and I know this will be good so I can't complain.

JoeM86

Friend's review

Nintendo Insider - 8/10

Pokkén Tournament DX remains a robust, fun and accessible fighter. It sports some incredible mechanics, with the seamless shifts between 2D and 3D planes easily helping to make each brawl feel exciting. But there isn't much improvement on the original away from new content, meaning that those who have pummeled their opponents into submission on Wii U may be more conflicted about a second purchase – although it will be where the competitive community shifts to.

For those that haven't already enjoyed heated mano-a-mano matches between Pokémon, it's the perfect chance to play an exciting fighting game that's packed with new ideas

how is this game for people who'll play it alone or online only?

Single player=boring
Online=Terrific

Pokken really shines when played in multiplayer. I played online with randoms for maybe 50 hours in the original Wii U version and the networking is just as good here on Switch.

Pudd

Neo Member
Seems to be more or less the WiiU-Game with some extra fighters which is fine and already enough to double dip but not at full price and not as long as there is still love for ARMS in me.

Soon.

Adding our review:

The Outerhaven - 4.5/5

Pokken Tournament DX is definitely worth the upgrade. The game has changed just enough to stay fresh and the five new characters, along with the Popplio and Litten assists that were introduced, freshen the game up enough to matter in the long run. Despite the changes, everything is familiar to old players, and while Pokken DX isn't all that welcoming to newcomers, those who put the time into the game will definitely find a wealth of enjoyment. Pokken Tournament DX is a game that deserves way more than what it got in terms of support, and hopefully, on the Switch, it will get it.

Neiteio

Great reviews. Will pick up as a nice secondary title to complement my current playthroughs of Metroid: Samus Returns and Mario + Rabbids.

Hylian7

I think the reasons to buy this game are the community moving there, but also having a fighting game on Switch on the go is nice.

Also two players on a single screen is really understated here.

Is the single player campaign more robust than ARMS? 'Cause as barebones as it is in that game, I still really enjoy it.

The meat of the single player is a league. You basically work your way up the league's leaderboard which consists of just fighting AI opponents until you get to the top (it gets longer and longer depending on the league ranking), then you fight in a short tournament and then you finally fight the leader of that rank. Rinse and repeat.

It's long and tedious though I will say putting the Switch in sleep mode makes it far more tolerable.

Is the single player campaign more robust than ARMS? 'Cause as barebones as it is in that game, I still really enjoy it.

There are several leagues you fight through tournament style that increase in difficulty as you build up to the ultimate showdown against Shadow Mewtwo.

It's fairly standard as far as I understand fighting game single player stuff to be. Great voice acting throughout too. And by great I mean bad.

The meat of the single player is a league. You basically work your way up the league's leaderboard consists of just fighting enough AI components until you get to the top (it gets longer and longer depending on the league ranking), then you fight in a short tournament and then you finally fight the leader of that rank. Rinse and repeat.

It's long and tedious though I will say putting the Switch in sleep mode makes it far more tolerable.

There are several leagues you fight through tournament style that increase in difficulty as you build up to the ultimate showdown against Shadow Mewtwo.

It's fairly standard as far as I understand fighting game single player stuff to be. Great voice acting throughout too. And by great I mean bad.

It has a fairly lengthy story/tournament mode.

Back in for Magikarp Festival.

Thanks! Sounds good enough. I also plan on playing multiplayer with my wife, so this seems like a good purchase.

Top Bottom