• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Pokkén Tournament DX Review Thread

Aostia

El Capitan Todd
My review

Switchitalia.it: 7.5/10

An interesting deluxe edition, with a good amount of total contents (especially for the 5 brand new characters, pretty varied in terms of gameplay and moveset), very fresh and fun, especially due to the Switch own charactersitics (aka play it everywhere and out-of-the-box multiplayer). Not the best looking game on Switch in terms of resolution, but at least pretty fluid in every configuration.

Crayon

I lived the demo. I'm not really into Pokemon and I was surprised to see how ferocious pikachu was. Like an electric badger.

ghibli99

Destructoid said:
Pokkén Tournament DX won't exactly draw in those who aren't interested in fighting games or who've already played the version released on the Wii U, but it does offer a fun system to fool around with to those waiting for a train or sitting on a toilet or something.
Wow, journalism at its finest.

Berordn

😞

Bought it on wii u so I would only have boght if it was 1080p. I really don't know why this game performs as poorly as it does given how it looks.

The background elements actually seem to be improved slightly from the Wii U version, based on the two stages in the demo.

mas8705

Another top notch review for the Switch. Now to see if Fire Emblem Warriors will keep the train rolling (since it shouldn't be questioned if Mario Odyssey next month will meet expectations).

I'll save this for Christmas; there's way too much going on this fall as it is.

Regardless, looking forward to finally playing it!

Griss

Loved this on the WIi U. My only problem with it was how the levelling system basically locked you into a single pokemon so all I really played was Blaziken. Was nice in the demo for Switch to feel like I could play as whoever (of the three options, anyway).

Impulse bought MK8 Deluxe to get me through Irma (and fuck me, best 60 bucks I ever spent), will probably impulse buy this to get me through Maria as it releases about 12 hours before the hurricane is due to hit lol.

EDIT: The demo looked absolutely great on the portable screen, which is good. Original game on Wii U was ugly as hell.

Kebiinu

Banned
Played it to death on the Wii U, Sceptile was my boy, and Gardevoir my second. Excited to master Empoleon or perhaps Decidueye. The Switch handles a lot better than the Wii U, and having this on the go is a dream. I imagine this selling well. It's very flashy, and easy to show off.

JoeM86

Question that no reviews seems to have answered : are there new stages at all ?

Thalia Beach, which is based on Sun & Moon
thaliabeach.jpg

And Snow Gift, an adaptation of Old Ferrum Town that was done for Christmas
snowgift.jpg

Sterok

Still Pokken. Pokken was good, and this has more stuff. Still annoyed the Wii U version didn't get any of the new characters, but that's the Wii U for you I suppose.

LordKano

Thanks guys.
Overall, in terms of pure content there's five new fighters and two new stages, and a 3v3 mode added. That's rather thin for a 60$ uprezzed port. It would have been fine for a 20-25$ season pass, but I guess that Wii U players can still sell their old copy to get this version at a cheaper price.

QisTopTier

XisBannedTier
Personally I like the gameplay of Pokken waaaaay waaaay more than Arms dispite half the game being pretty similar. So if anyone hasnt given the game a shot and kinda liked the idea of arms or felt it was too simple there is a demo on the e-shop

robrueda

This is literally a system seller for me. This is the reason I got the Switch this year instead of waiting until the next.

My 4YO son loves Pokken and we play the hell out of it on Wii U. but is a drag to play it in local vs mode with one player on the TV and the other on the gamepad, both at 30fps.
Once I knew that the Switch version ran at 60fps in local multiplayer I ordered a Switch and have been playing Splatoon 2 while waiting for the game.

foxuzamaki

Doesn't read OPs, especially not his own
I'm gonna wait a bit before jumping in again with this one song so already have it on WiiU

Mory Dunz

I'm gonna wait a bit before jumping in again with this one song so already have it on WiiU

you're gonna get it despite having a wii u version?
I kind of wish I never got the Wii U version so I could get this.

But I can't justify both, they didn't do nearly enough here....

Z..

I had a blast playing this a couple days ago. Really great game and the very definition of an accessible fighter done right!

EmiPrime

If you have the Shadow Mewtwo amiibo card the Wii U version has very good resale value. I have this Switch upgrade pre-ordered and it won't cost me very much.

Vena

I will keep this on the radar, might be worth it to pick it up for smash locals along with ARMS, but for now I am grabbing Xenoverse 2 rather than this this coming weekend.

Still 720p(even if native now)? ugh..

What exactly did they improve from a technical perspective besides the very minor resolution bump?

Ninja Dom

I loaded £40 of eShop credit to buy Metroid on 3DS but haven't bought it yet. Would you rather buy Pokken or Metroid Samus Returns?

Texture fixes and 60 fps frame rate on a local level it seems like.

Splitscreen or two switches

SO a minor bump in resolution and now a more locked 60fps framerate?
This is something that switch undocked version should do. I'm really dissapointed this game isn't at least 900p docked.

Im going to pick it up as my friend is in the competitive community and i enjoyed the demo. The Wii U pokken pad is pretty cheap and works so im in there.

Machamp was the only character I was good with on Wii U. Really hoping I don't suck with the obvious best character here, Croagunk :3

foxuzamaki

Doesn't read OPs, especially not his own

I mean, it has 5 extra whole characters that I was waiting for them to add to the U version for like over a year before the switch happened plus 2 extra stages and more modes, with the online community getting ready to transfer over, it was always a matter of when, not if.

Is Pokken hard? The demo seems a little basic but I watch some videos and people go crazy with combos. Is this beginner friendly?

Honestly surprised at how solid the reviews are, lol. I thought the demo was tragique but maybe my expectations were out of sync.

Berordn

Is Pokken hard? The demo seems a little basic but I watch some videos and people go crazy with combos. Is this beginner friendly?

Very easy for anyone to pick up and play, you can do a full combo by just mashing Y. Tons more depth underneath, especially when it comes to unleashing a character's full potential in both battle phases.

There are very helpful tutorials for just about everything. I'd recommend watching some videos of them online from the Wii U version if you can.

Honestly it seems to me like this has about as much new content as MK8DX did. The arcade-only characters plus Decidueye (AHHHHHH), and the new "tag team" ish mode are more than enough for me to be very excited about this game.

Seik

Banned
A shame that it doesn't go higher than 720p, but loved it too much on Wii U to skip it.

May end up playing this more than MvC:I lol.

Top Bottom