• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Pokkén Tournament DX Review Thread

Dash Kappei

Not actually that important
The ๖ۜBronx;249219202 said:
Did they fix the strange 'muddy/blurry' graphics of the Pokemon relative to everything else, in handheld mode. Really put me off the game from initially wanting it. Glad there was a demo.

I'd like to know this too

Nelo Ice

Banned
Didn't even realize reviews were out. Been looking for impression on this and it seemed strangely silent a week before launch. Anyway guess I'll keep my cheap WalMart preorder.

Also I'm sad I missed out on the cheaper Wii u Pokken controllers from GS :(.

Menitta

Was thinking about cancelling my order but opted not to. Can't wait to play this again. I hope it's community gets bigger since it's on a more popular system.

BizzyBum

As a fighting game how casual is this? Easy to pick up / tough to master sort of deal? It's Nintendo so I assume that's the case in it being very accessible.

Menitta

As a fighting game how casual is this? Easy to pick up / tough to master sort of deal? It's Nintendo so I assume that's the case in it being very accessible.

I'd say it's pretty accessible. It's definitely got a non-traditional system and controls so the first thing you'll wanna do is go into training mode to get a basic idea of how to play. Past that it's easy to learn.

Dre3001

Really surprised how this turned out. Seems it's more than a straight port.

5 new characters
3v3 mode
New stages
Improved frame rate in multiplayer
Local multiplayer on one system
Several new online multiplayer options

Only disappointment seems to be the graphics aren't updated much from the original but apparently the trade off is a locked 60Fps in all modes.

Doesn't seem like a lot of hype for this but I hope the game sells a good amount and can warrant a sequel atleast.

The demo on my tv looked like playing an early ps3 game through vga cables.
Im guessing nothing has changed?
Id pick it up for 20 25 bucks but 60 at a time like this is straight nope

Never got around to buying it on Wii U, so might pick it up to put in the multiplayer rotation with Mario Kart and ARMS.

Is it an easy fighting game to get into or a bit more technical? ARMS is amazing for casual play for instance and everyone seems to love it.

Dre3001

The game's running at 60fps? Felt 30 to me

What was the frame rate on the Wii U?

Frame rate on WiiU was 60 FPS in all modes except for local multiplayer. Every review for this version says it is running at 60 FPS in all modes however.

The biggest difference is that with the WiiU, local multiplayer was one player playing off the WiiU game pad and the other playing off the tv. With DX both players can play with one Switch in split screen mode or single screen fixed camera mode whether docked or portable.

Is there much to do in terms of single player content? I'm on the fence about this game.

Single player is probably this game downside. You fight through fighting game tournaments each increasing in difficulty and that's about it without spoiling anything.

There are a lot of battles in each tournament but it gets repetitive very quickly. Plus the CPU isn't really that difficult and won't really prepare you for playing online besides learning the basics.

There is no in-depth story mode that you would find in something like Injustice or Mortal Kombat.

The true highlight of this game is the multiplayer.

Kebiinu

Banned
For those on the fence, this game plays like a mashup of the Ninja Storm series, and Tekken/Street Fighter; shifting between 3D and 2D. There are Pokemon that are advantageous in both phases, but they all have moves that make them viable in both.

If you like flashy moves, this game has that. Taking liberties from the Pokemon series, you have your classic moves like Fire Blast, Hydro Pump, Fire Spin, Ice Beam, Thunder...and that's just the tip of the iceberg. Each character is handled in such a way, that the roster blends well, and no character feels out of place. Braixen, a fire type Pokemon, plays like a Fire Witch. Sceptile, a literal Leaf Ninja, with traps and Izuna drops. Charizard plays like a bulky charge type, without the charge inputs.

The game has simple controls, like ARMS, but tough to master. Try the demo to get a feel, but it really is a fabulous little gem. Can't wait to pick it up.

Domstercool

Frame rate on WiiU was 60 FPS in all modes except for local multiplayer. Every review for this version says it is running at 60 FPS in all modes however.

Apart from splitscreen, which is 30fps and bordered windows. Local multi on one system has the option for 60fps one screen with player 1 getting the viewpoint and the other player having to deal with that, or splitscreen on one system, which does the whole 30fps thing.

Multi switch for local play is 60fps, since you all have your own system for that.

T.O.P

Banned
Cannot freakin wait for this, didn't play the WiiU version but the demo on Switch sold me instantly

Imma get it as soon as it hits the eshop :D

Thud

Looks like it's performing well on Switch too. I'm glad to see, had a lot of fun with the Wii U version.

I lived the demo. I'm not really into Pokemon and I was surprised to see how ferocious pikachu was. Like an electric badger.

Pikachu Libre is even worse. Savage female wrestler.

Mained that one on the Wii U.

My copy was dispatched by Simply Games this morning, will probably be playing this much sooner than I expected!

Gonna be maining Darkrai, Siczor, Decidueye as newcomers along with Chandelure, Garchomp and Lucario again.

See you in the OT I guess!

BizzyBum

Has Amazon stopped release day delivery for games? Last two I pre-ordered with Prime (this and Samus Returns) don't. Showing Sep. 26 for shipment which is lame.

BiggNife

I'm in the process of building the OT (should be up by Thursday afternoon the latest). Any thoughts on a thread title? The only one I thought of that I'm happy with is

Pokken Tournament DX |OT| Finally, a Pokemon Game on Switch

But if people have better suggestions I'm open

Has Amazon stopped release day delivery for games? Last two I pre-ordered with Prime (this and Samus Returns) don't. Showing Sep. 26 for shipment which is lame.

Mine still says Release day delivery. I think it depends on when you preorder and how close you are to a shipment center. I've found that as long as a preorder a while in advance I'll get release date delivery, but if I preorder a couple days before release I usually don't.

Andyliini

Pokken Tournament DX [OT] HD Ready Tournament

You know, because 720p TV's were labeled HD Ready 10 years go.

I'm bad at his.

Top Bottom