• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Pokken Tournament co-developed with Harada and Namco Bandai Announced for arcades

The official English trailer on youtube says "Planned for Arcade release in Japan in 2015". There is no "first" there. The official Japanese website also says nothing more than "planned for Arcade release in 2015".

It may come to the Wii U at a later date (2016), but it is definitely not certain at this point. Mario Kart Arcade GP (and its sequels GP 2 and GP DX), also developed by Namco, never got a home port, for example.

Actually, I think if it is ported it is equally likely to be a launch title for Nintendo's next home platform, which should arrive in 2016 or 2017.

The President of TPC said the "first to arcades" line. Even acknowledging that he said "first".

ZeroX03

Banned
After having dealt with Namco for quite a while, this kind of thing is expected.

Except this is the Tekken and Soul Calibur team dealing with it. Harada's the guy who has treated the FGC with mad respect and has arcade ported every game except T6 to console in a year or less (T6 being a weird case). So it's not really to be expected.

Is there going to be a official Pokken Tournament thread? I'm sure someone's doing that, but if not, I'd love to get some graphics made and make one.

Toxi

Banned
I swear I completely forgot this pokemon existed. Game Freak should really cut down on the pointless water pokemon, I feel like its the largest group in the game next to normal.
Water is the most common type in the game by far. The current count is at 124 Water type Pokemon, with Normal in second at 97.

Is there going to be a official Pokken Tournament thread? I'm sure someone's doing that, but if not, I'd love to get some graphics made and make one.
News threads happen as info comes out. The official thread happens some number of weeks before release as per some rule enforced by mods, not really sure how calling dibs on making one works.

Smash gets away with constant official threads because they publish new promotional screenshots online 5 days a week, so it can bill itself as a news thread.

News threads happen as info comes out. The official thread happens some number of weeks before release as per some rule enforced by mods, not really sure how calling dibs on making one works.

Smash gets away with constant official threads because they publish new promotional screenshots online 5 days a week, so it can bill itself as a news thread.
Ah, I see. Haha, I guess I'm just used to posting in the Smash thread. Thanks!

Zubz

Banned
Ah, I see. Haha, I guess I'm just used to posting in the Smash thread. Thanks!

I wonder if Pokken Threads are going to be as never-ending as Smash's, now that I think about it; it's a long wait, and we won't have daily updates pushing things forward, but I can see Pokken gathering hype, especially if the Arcade Release is early 2015 in Japan.

Q: Is it true that Tekken characters [will] be making guest appearances in Pokemon/Pokken Tournament?

Harada: Ha, ha, ha. Nope, Tekken characters will not be making an appearance.

But how about... wait for it...
TEKKEN COSTUMES?!

Heh? Heh??

Anyway, I hope they decide to eventually bring the arcade stateside before porting to Wii U, which is a challenging problem since arcades are a dying/dead breed for a long time here (Dave & Busters is one of the few arcades that still exist and still running, as far as I remember, but I don't think they have any fighters).

catmario

I'm curious about Pokken combat system. It seems very different than Tekken did.

Actually, I have been hated dat Tekken's low/mid/high guard system, I wish Namco will not make this so difficult.

RoboPlato

I'd be in the dick
Something that's bothered me ever since I first heard about this, why is it called Pokken Fighters instead of Pokemon Fighters? Is Pokken a specific event in the more recent Pokemon games?

ugoo18

Something that's bothered me ever since I first heard about this, why is it called Pokken Fighters instead of Pokemon Fighters? Is Pokken a specific event in the more recent Pokemon games?

Pokemon x Tekken = Pokken

Zelda x Dynasty Warriors = Hyrule Warriors

TTT2 is where its from
No, I meant where in TTT2. After all, it does make it obvious that it's TTT2 music in the video. :p Did manage to find out that it was on a version of the game I did not have, though.
Pokemon+Tekken=Pokken
It's actually

Pokemon + Tekken = Pokken, since Pokken is a romanization of ポッ拳. Or, to put it visually:

ポケモン+テッケン=ポッケン

Though I suppose you can't really say it's as simple as the "Te" swapping to a "Po". But eh, whatever.

Zalman

Speaking of the name, I do wonder if they're going to keep it for the west. Pokémon Tournament/Fighters seems like a smarter title to use, from a marketing standpoint.

wsippel

Banned
I wonder if a hypothetical Wii U version would/ could support Bana Passport. Actually, the built-in NFC support would make the platform pretty much ideal for arcade ports as I believe most arcade platforms these days use NFC ID cards for storing profiles, settings and unlocks (NBGI's Bana Passport, Taito's NESYS, Sega's Aime and Konami's e-Amusement). And even most current arcade games don't seem to require all that powerful hardware to begin with.

Pociask

Pokemon Fighter coming out in arcades? Don't worry Wii U fans - it's still coming to a dead platform.

I'll be here all week. Try the buffet.

Sendou

Ever image searched "Pokken" on Google? Pokémon Tournament sounds boring, but "Pokken" is likely the worst possible name you could give it in the west from a marketing point of view.

?

I agree with you though :p It won't be called Pokkén because pokken is something different.

Wildean

Doesn't really sound all that interesting to me, even if it does eventually come to WiiU. Smash has Pokemon and that's already coming. And I suck at fighters anyhow unfortunately... would've preferred to see Pikachu detective!

ZeroX03

Banned
Ever image searched "Pokken" on Google? Pokémon Tournament sounds boring, but "Pokken" is likely the worst possible name you could give it in the west from a marketing point of view.

Yeah, but if you search "Pokken Tournament" you don't get any of that. And the more promotional material that comes out, the more it'll push those other images out.

Top Bottom