• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Policenauts English Patch finally releasing TODAY!

speedpop

Has problems recognising girls
Considering general GAF's unabashed love for anything to do with Kojima, I'm surprised this thread has been so muted. Or perhaps they only care for Metal Gear Solid?

BocoDragon

or, How I Learned to Stop Worrying and Realize This Assgrab is Delicious
I'm excited. I'll get my PS emulator ready... play it with a Dual Shock.. but I wish I still had my ex's modded PSone for authenticity -_- I wish Konami could just toss the translators some coin and release an actual version on PSN.

klee123

speedpop said:
Considering general GAF's unabashed love for anything to do with Kojima, I'm surprised this thread has been so muted. Or perhaps they only care for Metal Gear Solid?

Well, it's the reason why Kojima keeps on pumping out MG stuff nowadays.

Masaki_

Here's hoping the game truly is worth all the effort. Still, I'm excited to finally have a chance to play a game by Kojima that isn't MGS and not tainted with too many sequels.

onken

Great game, glad more people get to play it. Sadly these fan translations are usually awful so I'm going to steer clear.

BocoDragon

or, How I Learned to Stop Worrying and Realize This Assgrab is Delicious
onken said:
Great game, glad more people get to play it. Sadly these fan translations are usually awful so I'm going to steer clear.
no?

Masaki_

onken said:

This isn't your average fan translation. If anything, this is a localization much like what you would expect from translators such as Alexander O. Smith and Jeremy Blaustein. Or, at the very least, that's what they're trying to do.

So, we should be able to patch the iso and play it on PSP? Hopefully so, I can't wait to play this - been waiting years, it's just not the same playing through with a printed translation.

Downslide said:
I hate to contribute to a thread, but if you want to read about what it was like patching this game, read slowbeef's 'developer diary' - http://slowbeef.com/romhack/pnhack1.html .

e - and if you're a huge nerd, you can read his LP thread here - http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=2899139&userid=0&perpage=40&pagenumber=1
Holy shit, programmers/coders must have the highest suicide rate of all professions. That shit looks beyond maddening.

dream

Bootaaay said:
I can't wait to play this - been waiting years,

Ditto, brother. The SegaCD version of Snatcher was one of my favorite games as a kid and I remember losing my shit when I found out about Policenauts coming out for the Saturn way back when I got my first dialup account and started looking up Saturn shit.

I've basically been waiting 13 years to play Policenauts...

spoon!

I should be doing hw said:
Holy shit, programmers/coders must have the highest suicide rate of all professions. That shit looks beyond maddening.
according to topgear, it's actually veterinarians that hold that title

really interesting read, but i cant seem to find out how to get to page three of that diary? :p

IrishNinja

Tiktaalik said:
Oh my god yesssssssssssssssssss sooooo rad.

Mother 3 and now this? Ahh now all we need is Segagaga...

aw, itd be so awesome to know whats going on in that game. is this an actual project? it oughta be.

spoon! said:
according to topgear, it's actually veterinarians that hold that title

really interesting read, but i cant seem to find out how to get to page three of that diary? :p
According to A Whole Nine Yards its dentists. Who's a more credible source Bruce Willis or Jeremy Clarkson? I couldnt tell you.

Peff

Finally :D Can't wait to play it in English after all these years.

So, we should be able to patch the iso and play it on PSP?

That's what I'd like to do as well, replaying Snatcher like that was awesome.

onken

Masaki_ said:
This isn't your average fan translation. If anything, this is a localization much like what you would expect from translators such as Alexander O. Smith and Jeremy Blaustein. Or, at the very least, that's what they're trying to do.

Sounds promising.

Much more excited about this than Mother 3. Which turned out for me... As just another Nintendo RPG like I used to play them as a kid.

Next "Wachenröder" please!

BluWacky

Flek said:
so how is this going to work - what do i need?

I presume all will be revealed when the patch goes live but the likelihood is you will need a copy of Policenauts ripped to your PC (in ISO format no doubt) and the patch itself, which will probably come with a patching program like xdelta etc. After patching the ISOs, you can either burn the game onto CDs for use in a modded PS1/PS2, play through an emulator, or create a PSP eboot to play through emulation (apparently Policenauts works on POPS 4.01)?

It won't be complicated, basically, even with two discs in the equation.

I'm so glad this has finally come to fruition. The first post I ever made on this GAF was about a petition to Konami to translate this. The guy translating this was done a while ago, but it was the patching that took so long. I can't believe it's finally here! I wonder what Kojima will think about this. Motherfucker better be pleased.

Mr. Hyde

W..what? I got my PS3 controller working on my PC yesterday and now I hear this news. I knew there was some mysterious force guiding my decision yesterday. This will make me want to replay Snatcher afterward.

onken said:

Here we see someone who hasn't looked at a fan translation in the past six years.

thelatestmodel said:
As the world's biggest Snatcher fan, I am positively quivering with excitement.

I do not know. Snatcher is the reason why I play Koijima games. Snatcher is one of the best written games. Man it show you what the Sega Genesis/Mega Drive could really do. It shows that you do not need A+ graphics to make an amazing game.

speedpop said:

it's kinda sad, but most of them probably never heard about this game.

Top Bottom