• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Policenauts English Patch finally releasing TODAY!

speedpop

Has problems recognising girls
Sallokin said:
Cheers. Believe it or not, this isn't available on any of the soundtracks.

Very nostalgic piece of music for me.. reminds me of being 10 years younger and booting up MGS for the first time after a much anticipated release. It was even more awesome to see the Policenauts poster and footage during Otacon's rescue scene.

Dwayne

Has anyone tried using the Playstation mouse with PS3? I'd like to play using a mouse, but would prefer not to use an emulator. Cheers.

kamorra

Fuck Cancer
Dwayne said:
Has anyone tried using the Playstation mouse with PS3? I'd like to play using a mouse, but would prefer not to use an emulator. Cheers.

But how do you play the patched Policenauts on your PS3?

Just finished up. Clocked in at close to 14 hours which is about double the time it took me to finish Snatcher, however I spent quite a some time using "Look" on every detail. What a treat this game was, they don't make them quite like this anymore. The similar DS adventure games don't have anywhere near the production values of Policenauts. Kudos to the translation team first and foremost, all the medical/aerospace technobabble must've been hell to go through.

I had a couple of issues with the game, mainly
the last three Acts cutting out most of the investigative parts in favor of "story-shootout-story" pacing. It was exactly like this in Act 3 of Snatcher. I mean, Act 4 pretty much only consists of you searching the hospital with Karen! I kind of saw this coming after we had to switch discs following Act 2. And yes, some of the character motivations weren't really that strong.

Other that that, everything else was fantastic. So many awesome scenes.
Act 2 really makes the game. Finding Ishida's decapitated spacesuit, the chase on the train, losing Dave and having to do search for the bomb and defuse it.
I find that I prefer the cast of Policenauts over Snatcher. Jonathan and Ed may be naive detectives but their back-and-forth throughout the story is great, especially during
bomb defusal
. Meryl, Karen and Beyond Coast in general were great too. Also the themes centered around the medical repercussions of space living were particularly compelling I thought. The full use of a cursor is also more intuitive than the menu system in Snatcher and thankfully the grid-shooting is gone too.

About the ending,
Karen reconciles with Jonathan and declares to him that she's his daughter. Was this due to the HLA match? I thought that Jonathan and Karen were lovers. I mean shit, Jonathan feels her up in the dark at the hospital. That is fucked up in retrospect.

Going back to the translation, I'm assuming this is pretty much a one-to-one translation. If so, I'm surprised at how foul the language is. I don't know if the Japanese versions of Snatcher or MGS were like this too, but Ryan Payton made a big deal over the single use of the word "fuck" in MGS4.

I'll need to replay Snatcher again to see how that stacks up, but Policenauts was awesome. Both games are ripe material for some sort of revival what with their compelling worlds, they could easily translate into third-person action-adventure titles. Kojima's alluded in interviews that Policenauts has always been his favorite project (hence why he's directed every port of the game), but he still shackles himself to Metal Gear for some reason.

Red Blaster said:
I had a couple of issues with the game, mainly
the last three Acts cutting out most of the investigative parts in favor of "story-shootout-story" pacing. It was exactly like this in Act 3 of Snatcher. I mean, Act 4 pretty much only consists of you searching the hospital with Karen! I kind of saw this coming after we had to switch discs following Act 2. And yes, some of the character motivations weren't really that strong.

Same issues here as I had said before. Somore more exploration on the
moon
would have been nice.

Other that that, everything else was fantastic. So many awesome scenes.
Act 2 really makes the game. Finding Ishida's decapitated spacesuit, the chase on the train, losing Dave and having to do search for the bomb and defuse it.
I find that I prefer the cast of Policenauts over Snatcher. Jonathan and Ed may be naive detectives but their back-and-forth throughout the story is great, especially during
bomb defusal
. Meryl, Karen and Beyond Coast in general were great too. Also the themes centered around the medical repercussions of space living were particularly compelling I thought. The full use of a cursor is also more intuitive than the menu system in Snatcher and thankfully the grid-shooting is gone too.

Jonathan and Ed's banter was great. They got that aspect of the Buddy movie down perfectly, I just found myself yelling at the TV over their downright stupidity. A lot.

I kinda preferred the gird based shooting, as the scenes near the end made me want to cry, way too many game overs, and I felt it was more the result of an imprecise pointer.

Meryl rocked, and Dave was good fun
even if he had a giant "I'm Dead" sign aroung his neck the whole time. He did buy it sooner than I thought.

The cursor is a great addition as well, it makes you focus on the little things, and really examine the environment.

As far as themes... I think I prefer Kojima when he is more in yarn telling mode as opposed to social commentary mode, PN did a pretty good job of balancing the two though.

About the ending,
Karen reconciles with Jonathan and declares to him that she's his daughter. Was this due to the HLA match? I thought that Jonathan and Karen were lovers. I mean shit, Jonathan feels her up in the dark at the hospital. That is fucked up in retrospect.

It seemed pretty obvious by the end, especially when he didn't go for it when she threw herself at him. Also, is there not something fucked up all the OTHER times Jonathan pretty much molests everything with a pair of tits?

Going back to the translation, I'm assuming this is pretty much a one-to-one translation. If so, I'm surprised at how foul the language is. I don't know if the Japanese versions of Snatcher or MGS were like this too, but Ryan Payton made a big deal over the single use of the word "fuck" in MGS4.

It's not quite a 1-1 from what I can tell, it uses the philosophy that I prefer, which is trying to make a translation sound natural while getting the actual feel of the conversation across. Japanese has very few explitives in the way we think of them, as a result, one could easily translate the game sans curisng, and it would have been just as technically accurate, possibly even more so. BUT that also misses the tone of the Japanese verb endings and dialects used, and as a result sometimes conversations might not have the same punch they would have to a native speaker.

I thought it was interesting the the curisng was limited to the Home natives, (I think. Did Ishida curse?) as the Beyonds tended to have a bit more formal and stilted dialogue. It also becomes a bit of a plot point early on with
Hojo's cursing being out of character.

I didn't like some of the netspeak, but all in all, it was a great trasnlation IMO.

I'll need to replay Snatcher again to see how that stacks up, but Policenauts was awesome. Both games are ripe material for some sort of revival what with their compelling worlds, they could easily translate into third-person action-adventure titles. Kojima's alluded in interviews that Policenauts has always been his favorite project (hence why he's directed every port of the game), but he still shackles himself to Metal Gear for some reason.

I still say MGS1 is my fave, followed my Snatcher, then MGS3. Though honestly depending on my mood that order can change. I just felt the storytelling in Snatcher ended up being stronger for the reasons I've stated. But this is like me saying that FFIV was worse than FFVI or something like that, I love them all, just some had a greater impact on me than others.

bishopcruz said:
Jonathan and Ed's banter was great. They got that aspect of the Buddy movie down perfectly, I just found myself yelling at the TV over their downright stupidity. A lot.

I kinda preferred the gird based shooting, as the scenes near the end made me want to cry, way too many game overs, and I felt it was more the result of an imprecise pointer.

Meryl rocked, and Dave was good fun
even if he had a giant "I'm Dead" sign aroung his neck the whole time. He did buy it sooner than I thought.

The cursor is a great addition as well, it makes you focus on the little things, and really examine the environment.

As far as themes... I think I prefer Kojima when he is more in yarn telling mode as opposed to social commentary mode, PN did a pretty good job of balancing the two though.

It seemed pretty obvious by the end, especially when he didn't go for it when she threw herself at him. Also, is there not something fucked up all the OTHER times Jonathan pretty much molests everything with a pair of tits?

It's not quite a 1-1 from what I can tell, it uses the philosophy that I prefer, which is trying to make a translation sound natural while getting the actual feel of the conversation across. Japanese has very few explitives in the way we think of them, as a result, one could easily translate the game sans curisng, and it would have been just as technically accurate, possibly even more so. BUT that also misses the tone of the Japanese verb endings and dialects used, and as a result sometimes conversations might not have the same punch they would have to a native speaker.

I thought it was interesting the the curisng was limited to the Home natives, (I think. Did Ishida curse?) as the Beyonds tended to have a bit more formal and stilted dialogue. It also becomes a bit of a plot point early on with
Hojo's cursing being out of character.

I didn't like some of the netspeak, but all in all, it was a great trasnlation IMO.

I still say MGS1 is my fave, followed my Snatcher, then MGS3. Though honestly depending on my mood that order can change. I just felt the storytelling in Snatcher ended up being stronger for the reasons I've stated. But this is like me saying that FFIV was worse than FFVI or something like that, I love them all, just some had a greater impact on me than others.

Man, you didn't use the lock-on function for the shootouts? My sympathies,
the Tokugawa lobby :lol
. I think Ishida did swear actually, but
he was in cahoots with Hojo anyway. Jonathan feeling up random chicks in the game is pretty fucked up, in addition to his daughter which is super fucked.

Peff

I think Ishida did swear actually, but
he was in cahoots with Hojo anyway. Jonathan feeling up random chicks in the game is pretty fucked up, in addition to his daughter which is super fucked.

Regarding that last part...
isn't it supposed to be revealed in Act 3 when you are in her house? When I did that it was her who was trying to hit me and didn't say anything about offsprings :lol

Upsidedown Fuji said:
The translation team did a good job and I for one like how it is written. It really gives us a window into how the world was like about 10 years ago (in Japan.).

First off, I should admit that I've barely scratched the surface with the game, but a friend of mine is playing it, I have to wonder if he's even playing the same thing, or if you guys are, cuz apparently there's a point in the game here someone goes...

quoted for truth

and

Upsidedown Fuji said:
and God said 'let there be win.'

Seriously? What is this nonsense? It's like Working Designs all over again. Is there an Obama joke anywhere? I'm also shocked that no one else has made mention of it.

Coldsnap

So I'm the only one who's game is freezing? Game freezes while talking to Old LA with Lorriane and after the first gun fight.

TheSeks

Blinded by the luminous glory that is David Bowie's physical manifestation.
Coldsnap said:
So I'm the only one who's game is freezing? Game freezes while talking to Old LA with Lorriane and after the first gun fight.

Yep, just you.

Also the shooting range with the PSP-1000 D-pad sucks. :( Nub doesn't help too much either. I think the shooting was more for the lightgun/mouse add-ons than anything.

Tiktaalik

FortNinety said:
Seriously? What is this nonsense? It's like Working Designs all over again. Is there an Obama joke anywhere? I'm also shocked that no one else has made mention of it.

Weird. I haven't seen anything like that yet but that's pretty lame.

FortNinety said:

yea, those two lines stick out. i'm on ACT 3 now and hope there isn't more of them.

Lakitu

st5fu
I love MGS, but to me Kojima and MGS has simply run it's course. Just let the other staff cater to the MGS fans now and Kojima -- get back to where you belong, make us a new sci-fi detective game ala Snatcher and Policenauts. Two of my favourite games ever.

dream

FortNinety said:

I saw a "quoted for truth" in there too...

Tiktaalik

It sort of depends on who says the line. If it's a nerdy computer hacker (for example that character from I think Phoenix Wright 2) I'd be willing to accept the line, but otherwise that's pretty lame.

kruskev

A guy that is bleeding from bullet wound takes the time to write "I'll kill you" on the ground instead of getting the f out?:lol :lol :lol
Yeah I can't get into this game at all.

kruskev said:
A guy that is bleeding from bullet wound takes the time to write "I'll kill you" on the ground instead of getting the f out?:lol :lol :lol

They explain why the guy could do that pretty shortly.

Porridge

This game seems a whole lot more detailed than Snatcher. It's got a more serious tone to it as well. I love the music! I like how the story is summarized every time you load up a file, just like the way MGS games do it.

One thing I guess I didn't expect from Policenauts was how much it romanticizes Japanese culture. A character is very specifically a 'Nisei' (half Japanese, half American), Japanese cuisine is the trendiest around, the world revoles around the Yen, etc.... i 'spose it's just another quirky detail of this strange Kojima-fantasy land. Kind of like the references to Lethal Weapon in the character designs of Jonathan and Ed. It's Kojima through and through.

kruskev said:
I hate people like you. Seriously. You're like my brother watching a movie asking "why is (insert weird occurrence here) happening?" when the damn movie practically explains it either during the asking of the question or right after.

protonion

Finished it in about 9 hours.Enjoyable game and the ending was very satisfying.

I was amazed by how much detailed the script is.

The thing that I didn't like is that compared to most great adventures, it is badly designed.
You try to leave a place and the game forces you to stay because you didn't ask a person a specific topic.Or events triggered by examining every object in the scene.

Also the action scenes could be better.I would like them to require more thought.Like having to shoot a background object at a specific moment.To be more like puzzles.It would fit the game better I think.

The chase and bomb scene are the highlights of the game for me.

And a question:

The last choice (red or blue) in the defusing scene depends on what you answered Redwood early in the game?

ReyVGM

To anyone having problems with save states and ePSXe.
Just create a folder called "S" on the SSTATES directory and the game will save fine.

The problem was that the internal game name has an "S\" in it and windows can't create a file with an "\" in it.

Tiktaalik

I'm guessing this game was translated by an Australian or Kiwi? I just got to a point where Ed said, "this place is creepy as." I'm pretty sure that bizarro sentence structure is aus/nz only or are other places where that's common? It's not an NA thing.

TheSeks

Tiktaalik said:
I'm guessing this game was translated by an Australian or Kiwi? I just got to a point where Ed said, "this place is creepy as." I'm pretty sure that bizarro sentence structure is aus/nz only or are other places where that's common? It's not an NA thing.

"This place is creepy as hell" would be American line, I assume.

finished the game yesterday, heavy spoilers ahead.

about karen & jonathan: i was under the impression they didn't have a clue about the possible? blood relationship, that's why karen was going for jonathan and he was feeling her up in the darkness.

redwood: i really like his design, but i wish they would've given him more depth as a character. the last shootout with him was kinda disappointing too.

meryl was real cool. i wish we could see more of her in another game, or even PN 2? ;) no matter where, she is unique.

no real "kojima wtf-moment" in this one, but it wasn't even necessary in my opinion. the ending was satisfying enough.

oh, and the shooting was too easy. only died once at the bike-chase. was using a PS3 pad.

kudos to the translation/hacking team, they did a fine job. can't praise them enough.

Yazan

So I just put the eboot file in my memory stick to play it on the PSP (the phat one), but the game doesn't go past the Konami logo. The screen goes black for several seconds and the Konami logo returns and it repeats itself again and again. Any idea what I should do?

Yazan said:
So I just put the eboot file in my memory stick to play it on the PSP (the phat one), but the game doesn't go past the Konami logo. The screen goes black for several seconds and the Konami logo returns and it repeats itself again and again. Any idea what I should do?
Try recompile the eboot using the latest version of psx2psp (this way you can also unite the 2 disks into one single eboot), use the correct game IDS:
SLPS00215 (for disk 1)
SLPS00216 (for disk 2)
And the correct game title:
Policenauts [Disk1of3]
Policenauts [Disk2of3]
for disk1 and 2 respectively. Disk 3 is just a video CD, so don't bother.
Lastly, use the latest popstation of your PSP (5.00), and not an older one.

I've lost track of times I've failed the bomb thing. Funny when Ed eventually
has a go and messes up too, and shows off on the next easier maze

I'm stuck....

I'm at the space center place and I keep walking around looking at everything and the informant isn't appearing, am I doing it wrong?

Zengar

untoldhero said:
I'm stuck....

I'm at the space center place and I keep walking around looking at everything and the informant isn't appearing, am I doing it wrong?

I've been stuck on the same part before.I wasted 1 hour on that part. >_< Just recheck everything again and talk to everybody again and again, then return to the
space section. Oh, and remember to check the yellow plate in the glass display near the Pioneer 10.

Zengar said:
I've been stuck on the same part before.I wasted 1 hour on that part. >_< Just recheck everything again and talk to everybody again and again, then return to the
space section. Oh, and remember to check the yellow plate in the glass display near the Pioneer 10.
Shit...done it like 10 times now, talked to everyone. Guess i'll keep trying :(

3rdman

Finally put a good amount of time into it this weekend...Loving it so far.

I just wanted to make a quick note for those looking to run it through PCSXBOX...

Turn Reverb to "Fast, Frameskip to Off, and Old Frameskip to On.(stolen from another forum) Do these three things and leave everything else to default and you'll get perfect playback and sync.

I've only come across one point where the game crashes...It is during the scene where Victor is explaining about the capsules and leaf. I was able to play through that sequence with ePSXe and transfer back my save to the Xbox to continue playing. Hopefully there won't be other instances like that again.

polyh3dron said:
2. Open the file inside that folder named "PatchSoma" with TextEdit, you'll have to change the text in there that reads "policenauts_patch2.xdt" to "policenauts_patch1.xdt" and then save the file, then close it.

There are two patches and one of them already says "policenauts_patch1.xdt".

Is it suppose to be like this and I have to use TextEdit some way I don't know how or has something happen to the shared filed since you last downloaded it?

Here's a pic to see what I mean.

Flying_Phoenix:

Do NOT modify the actual patch files. Yes, there are two of them. Modify the file called "PatchSoma" (Hint: not the folder, the file) using TextEdit, and do it the way I said to. Once it is modified to use the patch for the first disk and you have the Disc 1 ISO in that folder, open your Terminal program and drag the PatchSoma file that you just modified on to the terminal window and press enter.

milkham

untoldhero said:
Shit...done it like 10 times now, talked to everyone. Guess i'll keep trying :(

you gotta specifically look at
one point of the glass case with the plaques in the space corner,
it'll show an image on the screen instead of just a text discription

polyh3dron said:
Flying_Phoenix:

Do NOT modify the actual patch files. Yes, there are two of them. Modify the file called "PatchSoma" (Hint: not the folder, the file) using TextEdit, and do it the way I said to. Once it is modified to use the patch for the first disk and you have the Disc 1 ISO in that folder, open your Terminal program and drag the PatchSoma file that you just modified on to the terminal window and press enter.

Oh I see I misread.

Well I did that and I get this error in the terminal:

Terminal said:
Last login: Sun Aug 30 14:43:14 on ttys000
nader-omars-macbook-pro:~ naderomar$ /Users/naderomar/Games/PatchSoma/PatchSoma xdelta3: target window checksum mismatch: XD3_INVALID_INPUT
nader-omars-macbook-pro:~ naderomar$

I'm not sure why I did the edit right...right?
Text Edit said:
#!/bin/sh
IAMHERE=`dirname $0`
#echo $IAMHERE
ORIGINAL=`ls ${IAMHERE}/*.iso | head -n 1`
NOEXT=${ORIGINAL%.[^.]*}

$IAMHERE/xdelta3 -dfs $ORIGINAL $IAMHERE/policenauts_patch1.xdt $NOEXT-patched.iso

TheSeks

Man, I didn't see
Ishida being the informant
coming, but I guess it makes sense given how they were in
BCCH

Also I'm up to
the bomb part
and giggled at how they fail and go "let's pretend that didn't happen."

The Bomb defusing is a bit bullshit as I kept getting down to two and had to look three times at what was similar to the "real" bag and get blown up. :| The bomb defusing first part is easy, but the magnet is pissing me off. I keep dropping the damn thing. Am I supposed to hold the circle button for the pliers to hold onto it or something?

TheSeks

Close to finishing this, it's been awesome so far and I can't wait to start Snatcher (after I finish up a few JRPGs I have going on :lol )

I didn't see
Chris being Redwood's surrogate mother
coming. It was so out of the blue for me, also
her involvement with Tokugawa to save the hospital and be close to Redwood

Marc
being related to Redwood by Redwood's twin being his dad was a neat twist. I like how Kojima brings everything together to revolve around the characters and Jonathan slowly unravels it all

I'm dense, though
it took me until Ingram knew what the lavender in Marc's picture meant
for me to
connect Chris to Redwood and Tokugawa/the AMM

Did anyone else get a Cowboy Bebop ending vibe from the last few acts, though?
Meryl telling Ingram to not go to the Tokogawa building. The shootout in the lobby
(very taxing on the PSP, thank god for L1/R1)
Redwood taunting Ingram as Ingram climbs the building to get to the climax
. Just reminds me of it so strongly. But I haven't finished yet (and may have to hold off since it's 3AM here. :()

Also I'm disappointed talk about this game has died here. It's really good and anyone that likes Kojima/Snatcher should try it out. MGS throw-backs to this (this came out before it IIRC?) with the "doot-doot-doot-doo-doo-doo" opening/Konami logo and Meryl and stuff was really cool to pin as I played.

Thank you, Policenauts.net/Something Awful Slowbeef for bringing this to us after 13 years. It's a true gem, I feel.

Finished it.
Thank you konami and kojima for making this wonderful game.

Thank you guys...
15o9yjs.jpg

and KUDOS to HER !!!
21jnbdd.jpg

How many of you poked KAREN's breast in the dark ?
the whole thing was quite hilarious

im about 2 hrs into this and i really like it...great story, awesome music and graphics that still hold up today...i had no idea this game existed...

just a tip for those playing on psp...i had freezing problems before i enabled the POPS plugin and selected 3.71 POPS and it works perfectly now...im running 5.00 M33-6 CF with the latest POPS (including the dumped sony PRX's)

gamemadmax said:
Finished it.

and KUDOS to this guy !!!
21jnbdd.jpg

How many of you poked KAREN's breast in the dark ?
the whole thing was quite hilarious

hah, i missed that in the credits!

i did >every< pair, because the game taught me to. seriously, it's not my fault :lol meryl was the funniest imo.

TheSeks said:
Did anyone else get a Cowboy Bebop ending vibe from the last few acts, though?
Meryl telling Ingram to not go to the Tokogawa building. The shootout in the lobby
(very taxing on the PSP, thank god for L1/R1)
Redwood taunting Ingram as Ingram climbs the building to get to the climax
. Just reminds me of it so strongly. But I haven't finished yet (and may have to hold off since it's 3AM here. :()

this part was damn tough on the PSP...good thing i just replaced my pads...i actually didnt know about L1/RI

just finished this and wow what an awesome game...id love to see a modern sequel to this on ps3...

im going to play snatcher (via picodrive sega cd emulator) next...

TheSeks

nolookjones said:
this part was damn tough on the PSP...good thing i just replaced my pads...i actually didnt know about L1/RI

just finished this and wow what an awesome game...id love to see a modern sequel to this on ps3...

im going to play snatcher (via picodrive sega cd emulator) next...

Since you bumped it up, something bothered me when I popped in Metal Gear: AC!D2 yesterday.

Karen Hojo: Johnathan Ingram's Ex-Wife and Daughter to Loraine Hojo.

*cue zoom to "Ex-Wife"*

Seriously, Konami of America? You think you can pull a fast one on us with that?

Top Bottom