• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Policenauts English Patch finally releasing TODAY!

bernardobri

Steve, the dog with no powers that we let hang out with us all for some reason
Act 2 End Spoilers

Got sad after Dave passes away.... But then laughed so hard when Ed explains why he can't bring her daughter's bag to the store where the bomb was planted.

Bittersweet moments, huh?

Edit:

After selecting the wrong bag, and getting game over, the returning convo is hilarious...

"All right, let's pretend that never happened"

Psycho Mantis' 4th wall stuff is child's play compared with this :lol :lol :lol

Edgeward

Loving the game already, only an hour in. I like the interface a lot better, mostly because I can use a mouse for it. Although even with a mouse I find shooting a bit tricky because that dude moves too damn fast. But God, does the game still hold up incredibly well, especially visually.

teekun

MCermak said:
Anyone have an opinion on which platform's version is the best?

The PS1 version, hands-down.

The only thing it doesn't have going for it is light-gun support, which the Saturn Version does.

Nachkebia

Banned
Game is soooooo sooooooo sooooooooooo good, music, dialog, atmosphere, story, I am big Blade Runner fan so this is like honey to my heart :D

Anybody has problems with gun training? I mean training goes well but when your done and you need to log out it freezes to black screen....

Peff

teekun said:

The only thing it doesn't have going for it is light-gun support, which the Saturn Version does.

Not really. The Saturn version looks slightly sharper, has a few more cutscenes (and they are played at 24 fps versus the 15 fps of the PSX version) and sprites, light gun support and part of the interviews and trailers from the Pilot Disks were included in the first disc as unlockables.

Xater

Anyone else using the pSX emulator? The problem I have that I can not save to the memory card. Every time the game tells me that an error occured.

SappYoda

Beaten!

Very nice game :D

Also,
best bomb defusing scene ever
:D

OMG Meryl names Snake after a character in Policenauts (Well He asks her to call him David but she end ups calling him Dave)

Also Jonathan asks Ed if love can bloom in space

Now I'm pretty sure Peter Stillman is an homage to Ed

Brofist

Xater said:
Anyone else using the pSX emulator? The problem I have that I can not save to the memory card. Every time the game tells me that an error occured.
Works fine with ePSX

Blu_LED said:
Last night I got up to a part where
you find a Junker with his head completely ripped off
. This is the Sega CD version I'm talking about. I'm not 100% sure, but I'm pretty sure that if there was a censored version that would not be in it.

The Sega CD version is censored. One of the more memorable examples of censorship is when
the snatcher bursts out of Alice.
In the PC Engine version, her guts wriggle and she twitches. In the Sega CD version, everything is motionless.

However, the Sega CD version has a much longer act 3 than the PC Engine version, so it's kind of a trade off.

Either way, the PSX and Saturn versions blow. Very censored and, IMO, just not as pretty as the Sega CD version.

EDIT: Also, every version has different konami characters at Outer Heaven. I like the Sega CD version because it has Sparkster.

teekun said:

Didn't someone on the last page say that the saturn version is more sexist? :lol

protonion

Shooting range question:

What do I have to do so I can play with Meryl's boobs? I refuse to proceed until I do it!

Yes I know I am sad...

Great game overall.Very interesting story.I hope there are more action set pieces like the one in the prologue.

Ingram is such a shitty useless detective; why do I even play your games Kojima?! If there ever is a MST3K for games Policenauts should be in it.

Brofist

Xater said:
THat's great but doesn't help me at all. ePSX doesnt run for me.

Well there are many noted problems with the pSX emulator that are listed right in the patch read me. I didn't know you couldn't use ePSX but that's rather unfortunate since that's the emulator they support.

When do you have to switch discs?

Also I'm stuck (Act 2):

What do you need to do to get the damn informant to show up by the Pioneer craft?

kpop100 said:
Well there are many noted problems with the pSX emulator that are listed right in the patch read me.

Based on my reading of the patch readme, literally the only problem with pSX is that it'll always hard-crash during the end credits and prevent you from seeing the final post-credits scene, while ePSXe (like usual) requires you to carefully massage your video plugin to get the game to run right.

Prime crotch said:
Ingram is such a shitty useless detective; why do I even play your games Kojima?! If there ever is a MST3K for games Policenauts should be in it.

Loving the game, but yeah, Ingram and Brown may be the worst cops EVER! Act 6 spoilers
Ok, honestly they were SURPRISED that Chris was working against them? She's been fucking Tokugawa, and they KNEW it. Not to mention it was painfully clear that she was evil since the phone call to go back to the AMM. Ed and Jonathan remain blissfully ignorant to even the possibility that she was not on their side. Gates I kinda buy, he looked evil, but until the end of act 3, he was at least acting like a dutiful chief, who just needed more evidence.

Story has not been as good as Snatcher though, and Gillian was a far, FAR better detective than Ingram.

One issue I do have with the game is the jumpy mouse cursor. I dunno if it is the fault of ePSXe or what, but it is damn near impossible to precisely aim at anything. It has a tendency to jump past whatever I am aiming at, making some of the shooting sections damn near impossible. I even had to turn off the mouse to do the ever so famous
bomb disarming
because no matter how delicately I would move the mouse, it would jump to somewhere that would get me killed.

epmode

Red Blaster said:
When do you have to switch discs?

Also I'm stuck (Act 2):

What do you need to do to get the damn informant to show up by the Pioneer craft?
I looked at the Pioneer ship, then checked out the plaques, left the area then came back.

epmode said:
I looked at the Pioneer ship, then checked out the plaques, left the area then came back.

Got it, thanks. Wasn't looking at the plaque correctly.

And Gillian was dopey as hell, Metal Gear did all the real work.

Gilgamesh

charlequin said:
Based on my reading of the patch readme, literally the only problem with pSX is that it'll always hard-crash during the end credits and prevent you from seeing the final post-credits scene, while ePSXe (like usual) requires you to carefully massage your video plugin to get the game to run right.
I've been using Pete's OpenGL2 plugin with the same settings for ages and I've never had a problem getting a game to work. It's not that hard to use ePSXe.

bernardobri

Steve, the dog with no powers that we let hang out with us all for some reason
SappYoda said:
Now I'm pretty sure Peter Stillman is an homage to Ed

In the original MGS2 gameplan Stillman was supposed to be a younger version of Ed.

Also, in MGS4's end of act 3, Jonathan and Ed have the same convo from the Policenauts Epilogue

how do you guys advance so fast? i've played seven hours and just reached act 2. but yea, i'm trying to unlock and read every line of text. and...

i've also stopped and listened to most of the CD collection for half an hour.

Ledsen

charlequin said:

Yeah, that readme was extremely misleading. First it says

"pSX cannot correctly play Policenauts. There is content you absolutely cannot reach with any known version of pSX and I've verified this with the people behind pSX."

and when you read the rest it seems like the only problem is that it crashes during the end credits... I mean who cares about that? I'll be playing it in pSX, and if I really want to see the end credits I'll just copy the memory card file and replay the ending in ePSXe.

SappYoda

bernardobri said:
In the original MGS2 gameplan Stillman was supposed to be a younger version of Ed.

Also, in MGS4's end of act 3, Jonathan and Ed have the same convo from the Policenauts Epilogue

OMG Mind blown.

JEKKI

protonion said:
Shooting range question:

What do I have to do so I can play with Meryl's boobs? I refuse to proceed until I do it!

Yes I know I am sad...

Great game overall.Very interesting story.I hope there are more action set pieces like the one in the prologue.
I too am in need of answers to this!! :D

I kno she said to get 550 points, but 550 points in what?! every time I talk to her again she doesnt repeat herself.

gentlemanfinn

Neo Member
JEKKI said:
I too am in need of answers to this!! :D

I kno she said to get 550 points, but 550 points in what?! every time I talk to her again she doesnt repeat herself.
The middle option (training mode?) lvl 2

MBison

hey I'm playing this via ePSXe. Is there a way to play it in windowed mode? I can't seem to get it work and don't want to play in fullscreen.

let me know thanks

Kintaco

Is anyone else having save issues with the game? I can't do a Save State and when I use the in game save option I can't load it. Anyone know what is going on with that?

Coldsnap

was hovering over my friends shoulder at lunch today watching him play, his game was freezing at the dialogue with the blond chick.. bummer

ArjanN

Ledsen said:
Yeah, that readme was extremely misleading. First it says

"pSX cannot correctly play Policenauts. There is content you absolutely cannot reach with any known version of pSX and I've verified this with the people behind pSX."

and when you read the rest it seems like the only problem is that it crashes during the end credits... I mean who cares about that? I'll be playing it in pSX, and if I really want to see the end credits I'll just copy the memory card file and replay the ending in ePSXe.

II think there's a scene after the credits...

epmode

Kintaco said:
Is anyone else having save issues with the game? I can't do a Save State and when I use the in game save option I can't load it. Anyone know what is going on with that?
I'm having the same problem with the newest version of epsxe. Worked fine with 1.6.

lobdale

3 ft, coiled to the sky
After years of wanting to play Snatcher (and finally getting to in 2002), and then years of wanting to play Policenauts, it's finally time!

This puppy is freshly loaded up on my PSP and what a great and glorious era we are entering.

Brofist

MBison said:
hey I'm playing this via ePSXe. Is there a way to play it in windowed mode? I can't seem to get it work and don't want to play in fullscreen.

let me know thanks

Alt+enter switches between fullscreen and window modes

The saved states don't work on 1.7 with this game, makes some of the insta death stuff really annoying.

Also, I am having a hell of a time with a shooting section in Act 7, I dunno if it's epsxe or what, but getting any sort of speed + accuracy on my mouse is not happening. I have a G7, and it works great on everything else, I guess it's either the PS1 didn't do that well on reading the mouse, or there is some lag in the emulation, or it's the game, either way these shooting sections can be HELL.

Any else reminded of Beverly Hills Cop 3 when
the AP raids Tokugawa Pharmaceuticals? The poppies being switched out and the security camera framing Jonathan exactly mirrors Axel's situation with the counterfeit money in the movie :lol

epmode

bishopcruz said:
The saved states don't work on 1.7 with this game, makes some of the insta death stuff really annoying.

Also, I am having a hell of a time with a shooting section in Act 7, I dunno if it's epsxe or what, but getting any sort of speed + accuracy on my mouse is not happening. I have a G7, and it works great on everything else, I guess it's either the PS1 didn't do that well on reading the mouse, or there is some lag in the emulation, or it's the game, either way these shooting sections can be HELL.
You have XP? ePSXe seems to ignore your Windows mouse settings in XP. I agree, it sucks. Might be easier with a controller. R1 and L1 lock on to nearby (stationary) targets, you know.

MercuryLS

Banned
I'm a few hours into Policenauts now and so far the pacing is yawn inducing, it's very nice to look at and there's some really interesting text in there but where's the action? The suspense? Snatcher was way better in this department, it had incredible pacing.

MercuryLS said:
I'm a few hours into Policenauts now and so far the pacing is yawn inducing, it's very nice to look at and there's some really interesting text in there but where's the action? The suspense? Snatcher was way better in this department, it had incredible pacing.

The latter part of Act 2 is when things start to get interesting. Though, I'll admit that I wasn't exactly stoked when Ed gave us a tour of the police station.

Sallokin

Don't know if it was pointed out but I noticed while looking at one of the photos of Lorraine and Jonathan that their wedding day was August 24, 2009. Pretty nice coincidence.

MercuryLS

Banned
Red Blaster said:
The latter part of Act 2 is when things start to get interesting. Though, I'll admit that I wasn't exactly stoked when Ed gave us a tour of the police station.

Alright, i'll take your word for it. I'm nearing the latter partof Act 2 I believe.

Sallokin said:
Don't know if it was pointed out but I noticed while looking at one of the photos of Lorraine and Jonathan that their wedding day was August 24, 2009. Pretty nice coincidence.

It's also the date of Kojima's 46th birthday.

epmode said:
You have XP? ePSXe seems to ignore your Windows mouse settings in XP. I agree, it sucks. Might be easier with a controller. R1 and L1 lock on to nearby (stationary) targets, you know.

Nah, Windows 7 RC1. Finally beat the game using my 360 controller, still a major pain, some of the shooting segments require a precision that at least in ePSXe I just can't get with a mouse, and is just not possible with a digital pad. Having to hit a tiny object that peppers you for tons of damage, not fun.

As far as the game itself:

Damn fun, great scenes, story was not as good as Snatcher IMO, and who knows maybe its my nostalgia talking but...

The whole NARC thing was kinda pointless, I think that had they focused solely on the organ harvesting, it could have been a lot better paced. It also has what amounts to 5 'Act 3s' (in reference to Snatcher) wherin there is very little actual investigation, just a bunch of linear progression and shooting. LOTS of shooting.

The motivation of Tokugawa, Salvatore and Becker was also a little weak IMO, wherin when you finally leared everything in Snatcher you were floored, and it all made sense, in a Kojima way, here the villains were literally served up to you on a Platter from act 1, not a whole lot of mystery, though the bits that were there were good.

Maybe in 1995 I would have been more shocked, but it really did seem that the holy crap ingenious gotchas that were prevelant in Snatcher didn't have any equivelants here. Every major revelation was pretty much telegraphed.

Now I did really enjoy the game, I don't want to come off as too negative, the dialogue and friendship between Ingram and Brown was great, as was the world, Meryl, and the mouse control was great outside of the shooting segments. I do still say that Jonathan was the worst cop EVER though. I think the time in Cryo really damaged him.

What did beat the pants off of Snatcher though was the soundtrack. Really, really good stuff, especially 'End of the Dark" and 'Old L.A. 2040", even if the latter could only be heard on CD.

Well worth the playthrough, and I'll prolly go through it on PSP at some point,

Also, while I dug the hell out of most of the translation, the few instances of netspeak kinda got to me. Jonathan's use of fail as a noun is the worst example, but I do remember it coming up now and then, and it was jarring.

But kudos to the hacking team, best fan translation I have seen since Oath in Felghana.

Top Bottom