• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

PoliGAF 2012 Community Thread |OT2| This thread title is now under military control

Status
Not open for further replies.

AlteredBeast

Fork 'em, Sparky!
72gug.png

Remember: generalized US politics go here, important events and things like debates should have their own debates in the Off-Topic Forum.

Play nice...

Wall of Shame from |OT1|
jgypf.jpg

I don't like this. it's not like we had a pressing issue to discuss anyway. Besides, Flying_Phoenix said he is making the thread, the mods didn't lock the old one so you jumped the gun on this AB

AlteredBeast

Fork 'em, Sparky!
I don't like this. it's not like we had a pressing issue to discuss anyway. Besides, Flying_Phoenix said he is making the thread, the mods didn't lock the old one so you jumped the gun on this AB

Meh, most of the discussion of the last few pages was going solely to the fact that we hadn't had a new topic yet. The topic is actually inconsequential, believe it or not. Now we can actually get back to meat and potatoes, man on dog, and so on and so forth.

People get so worked up about thread titles and creation, we lose sight of what is important: off-the-wall PD posts and everything Kosmo has ever posted...ever.

Oblivion

Fetishing muscular manly men in skintight hosery
We are above that.

No we're not, fuck off!

It took me 13 hours to compile this list, and you better fuckin believe it's gonna get exposure:

Poligaf 2012 - Where Family Values go to die
Poligaf 2012 - Tick Tock, Barack
Poligaf 2012 - Phoenixdark's wrong about something? You can't explain that!
Poligaf 2012 - Where abortions are not only free, but also MANDATORY
Poligaf 2012 - I never cared about Wisconsin anyway
Poligaf 2012 - Reagan would have cut spending
Poligaf 2012 - If you're so smart, then why am I yelling louder than you?
Poligaf 2012 - We're not THAT left wing. Kosmo posts here, afterall!

Meh, most of the discussion of the last few pages was going solely to the fact that we hadn't had a new topic yet. The topic is actually inconsequential, believe it or not. Now we can actually get back to meat and potatoes, man on dog, and so on and so forth.

People get so worked up about thread titles and creation, we lose sight of what is important: off-the-wall PD posts and everything Kosmo has ever posted...ever.

This is exactly why we don't have new members. We are like a bunch of old farts going endless about whatever. I don't want to discuss meat and potatoes all the time. We go off the track for a few seconds and have fun and suddenly politics nazis step in and stop everything and go back to talking about meat and potatoes.

I know we can survive on a fuckin usenet board somewhere, but lets be a little more open to new members.

AlteredBeast

Fork 'em, Sparky!
Romney is leading Obama 46 - 45 in the latest Gallup daily tracking poll, wonder what a largely unknown Rob Portman is going to do for the ticket.

Nobody outside of the small percentage of people tracking this particular election and its VP-selection process has even heard of the guy, and that includes people from Ohio!

Can't be anywhere as bad of a choice as a "wild card", though. Safe bet by an already safe Romney who refuses to lay out his plans on ANYTHING.

ToxicAdam

Rob Portman's wife is pretty good looking for a woman in her 50's. That's usually how I base my preference on what politician I want to win the Veep. She has a bit of that Stepford Wife syndrome/look that Republican women can get. Maybe it's her prior years as a Democrat that has helped retard the process.

2008-Portman-Family-Photo-300x199.jpg

Oblivion

I'd say now's a good time for a good ole' fashioned communist uprising. Clearly AB's gone mad with power, like that Albert Schweitzer guy.

Chich is right. The free market is the final arbiter.

Unless you're a commie. You're not a commie, are you?
This is not free market. The democracy picked the winner. But the individual acted on his behalf and picked the winner for us under an arbitrary set of rules he created out of ether.

AlteredBeast

Fork 'em, Sparky!
This is not free market. The democracy picked the winner. But the individual acted on his behalf and picked the winner for us under an arbitrary set of rules he created out of ether.

Now will I crash and burn like Solyndra, or will I rise from the ashes and be like the Big 3, rising from Detroits ashes...Only time will tell.

Oblivion

In other words, AB's acting exactly like Barack Obama.

The Technomancer

card-carrying scientician
This is exactly why we don't have new members. We are like a bunch of old farts going endless about whatever. I don't want to discuss meat and potatoes all the time. We go off the track for a few seconds and have fun and suddenly politics nazis step in and stop everything and go back to talking about meat and potatoes.

I know we can survive on a fuckin usenet board somewhere, but lets be a little more open to new members.

I'm a new member! Kinda...sorta...I just poke in from time to time

ToxicAdam

This is the most vanilla republican ticket...

I think Portman's the best pick. He's been on the national stage, he's from a swing state and he's not going to get blasted by the Democrats in the same way an unseasoned minority/woman candidate would.

ToxicAdam

Democrats have always historically went after Republican woman/minorities with a greater intensity than a white male.

Just look at the savaging Condi Rice had to endure.

PantherLotus

Professional Schmuck
Rob Portman's wife is pretty good looking for a woman in her 50's. That's usually how I base my preference on what politician I want to win the Veep. She has a bit of that Stepford Wife syndrome/look that Republican women can get. Maybe it's her prior years as a Democrat that has helped retard the process.

2008-Portman-Family-Photo-300x199.jpg

Agreed. BUT HOLY:

Dedication+Gala+National+Underground+Railroad+pn5N46w297ml.jpg

you guys got yourselves a non-ironic bow-tie wearer? Obama's doomed!

markatisu

Man and I thought the Bob Dole Presidential run was bad, maybe Romney will be not as robotish and aloof when he gets a running mate

codhand

I think Portman's the best pick. He's been on the national stage, he's from a swing state and he's not going to get blasted by the Democrats in the same way an unseasoned minority/woman candidate would.

Like I said, vanilla, not even the kind with bean specks, just straight up Hood brand.

PPP: Colorado - Obama leads 49 - 42

Barack Obama still looks like the favorite to win Colorado again this year, but Mitt Romney's become much more competitive in the state since wrapping up the Republican nomination. Obama leads 49-42. His lead had been 53-40 on PPP's last poll, which was conducted the weekend before Rick Santorum dropped out of the race.

Romney's seen a major improvement in his image in Colorado, as he has nationally, since GOP voters unified around him. His numbers still aren't terribly impressive with 40% of voters rating him favorably to 52% with a negative opinion. But that's up a net 17 points from April when he was at 31/60.

The reason the race has tightened over the last couple months is that Romney's really closed the gap with independents. He still trails Obama 48-38 with them, but that's quite a bit better than April when he was down 57-31. The candidates both have their party bases pretty unified with Obama at 87% of Democrats and Romney at 84% of Republicans.

PPP: Arizona - Romney leads 49 - 46

According to Hardball, the area where I live (Roanoke, Virginia) had the 4th most presidential ad buys of any city in the U.S. last week. I knew it was a ton, but geeze, it's going to be a long five months

Jackson50

Romney is leading Obama 46 - 45 in the latest Gallup daily tracking poll, wonder what a largely unknown Rob Portman is going to do for the ticket.

Nobody outside of the small percentage of people tracking this particular election and its VP-selection process has even heard of the guy, and that includes people from Ohio!

Can't be anywhere as bad of a choice as a "wild card", though. Safe bet by an already safe Romney who refuses to lay out his plans on ANYTHING.
I doubt he'll benefit the ticket substantially, running mates rarely do, although he may provide a marginal boost in Ohio. Still, he's probably the best option. After the Palin fiasco in 2008, the Romney campaign is going to fastidiously vet each prospective running mate. And Portman's qualifications are appealing. He has considerable experience in national politics and government. He's already been vetted by the media and the Senate. He'll not embarrass the campaign as Palin, Quayle, or Geraldine Ferraro did their respective tickets.

DasRaven

GOP decoder ring activate.

The United States tax code favors lower income Americans too much already and should be restructured to make it fairer to upper income earners, Senate Republican Leader Mitch McConnell said.

The United States tax code ... should be restructured to make it fairer to upper income earners, Senate Republican Leader Mitch McConnell said.

The ... tax code should be restructured to make it fairer to upper income earners, Senate Republican Leader ...

The tax code should be restructured to make upper income earners, Republican.

Plinko

Wildcard berths that can't beat teams without a winning record should have homefield advantage

Please, GOP--run with that this election cycle.

Just once I'd love to see a presidential candidate DURING a debate pull out a chart and show how the poor pay a greater portion of their income on taxes. Keep in mind that I missed the Ross Perot charts bonanza.

I love how these morons completely ignore the fact that federal taxes aren't the only taxes.

Plinko

Wildcard berths that can't beat teams without a winning record should have homefield advantage
Am I reading that wrong or does it say Romney has 52% of the African American vote?

I'm also seeing that Obama only has 37% of the African-American support in the state as well and that Jan Brewer has 63%. It also says 57% of African Americans disapprove of Obama.

That makes absolutely no sense to me.

Oblivion

The GOP hates taxes SO MUCH that they just flat out ignore every other tax in the nation other than federal.

Grover Norquist is a gigantic douche.

Speaking of the anointed one:

http://videocafe.crooksandliars.com/david/norquist-calls-c-span-caller-very-nice-left-

Summary: C-span prank caller pretends he's a rich Republican mocking poor people for paying more in taxes than he does. Norquist, surprisingly not amused, calls him a "left wing twit" and proceeds to talk about all the burdensome taxes the poor rich folk have to deal with.

My favorite part in that clip though, was where he attacked Obama for wanting to tax the "peasants". In a defense about protecting the rich, he somehow tied that shit with tricking people into thinking Obama wants to tax everyone else too. Magnifique, Grover.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom