• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

PoliGAF 2012 Community Thread |OT2| This thread title is now under military control

Status
Not open for further replies.

HylianTom

Banned
I think that's about right. Any straying can cause a gaffe which could be devastating.
I'm wanting to test a theory: the more that voters see Mitt Romney, the less they like him, as he naturally comes-off as a cartoonishly fake sleazebucket who's desperate just for the title of "President."

I look forward to seeing reactions, bounce numbers (if any), etc.

Wilsongt

I built that...
Punishing success...
Politics of division...
I went to Israel...
Putting our service members of the armed forces in danger from cuts...
War on Religion...
Iran... Russia... Providing aid and comfort to our enemies...
Keystone pipeline...
Obama's negative attacks...
(lame personal anecdote with fake half chuckle presented as evidence of humanity)

No actual plans or details.

Oh, I'm sure he's just an outlier and in no way representative of the party.

You also forgot the fact that you can make a drinking game out of how many times Romney uses the world "failed"

Jackson50

Greg Giroux has compiled a list of incumbent who lost renomination since 1968. Accounting for the effects of redistricting, this seems to be an average cycle.
So what are expectations for Romney's speech tonight? I think most are expecting it to be vanilla Robo-Mitt. I'm not sure he can nail it like Palin did last time around, which, for as much as she tanked after that, her convention speech was pretty electric as far as VP speeches go. I think he'll probably nail it and do better than most expect.
220154_o.gif

Steel Cage Match for the inauguration!

Obama Takin our Guns.

I'm waiting for the Nation of Domination to come back as a heel stable, with an Obama impersonator as their manager.

Yes, Vince McMahon is that crazy.

Also, on Mitt's speech: it will be forgettable, but there will be no gaffes. Just enough to get folks excited for a week or so.

RNC Ratings Night Two: Networks Lose 17 Million Viewers Compared To Night Two Of 2008 RNC

On night two of the Republican National Convention, Fox News Channel was once again the network more people went to to get their political fix. That said, every network was down substantially from the same night in 2008, when Sarah Palin made her RNC debut.

From 10-(just after) 11PM, when the broadcasters were live, FNC averaged 7.70 million total viewers, including 2.07 million in the key adults 25-54 demo. NBC was next with 4.15 million viewers, including 1.49 million adults 25-54, followed by ABC with 2.86 million viewers including 993,941 A25-54 and CBS with 2.56 million viewers, including 943,519 A25-54. MSNBC drew 1.44 million viewers during the hour, including 402,044 A25-54, while CNN brought in 1.34 million viewers, including 451,270 A25-54.

Only FNC and ABC improved their 10-11PM viewership compared to day one of the RNC. Every other network was down. Every network was also down from 2008, with FNC down 1.5 viewers, NBC down 3.5 million viewers, CNN down nearly five million viewers, ABC down three million viewers, CBS down two million viewers and MSNBC down about two million viewers. It is worth noting that night two of the RNC in 2008 saw a speech delivered by Palin, who at the time was still a relative unknown.

All told, just over 20 million people were watching last night on the Nielsen-rated networks, compared to 37 million for night two of the RNC in 2008. Night one of the 2012 RNC was roughly on par with night one of the 2008 RNC ratings-wise, making the gap all the more dramatic.

Update: Also worth noting that Hurricane Isaac knocked out power in around 500,000 homes in the southeast. It probably made an impact in the ratings, though not enough to explain the drop entirely.

In primetime from 8-11 PM, the cable networks had continuous coverage (save for some Hurricane Isaac updates). FNC averaged 5.86 million total viewers and 1.42 million adults 25-54. MSNBC averaged 1.30 million viewers, including 366,743 adults 25-54, while CNN averaged 1.16 million viewers, including 341,758.

Update: The business network numbers are in. Once again FBN was on top, averaging 190,000 total and 49,000 demo viewers from 10-11 PM In that same hour CNBC averaged 79,000 total and 25,000 demo viewers. FBN was also on from 8-10 PM, where it averaged 225,000 total and 62,000 demo viewers. Bloomberg TV was on from 9-11, but is not rated by Nielsen.
http://www.mediabistro.com/tvnewser...ers-compared-to-night-two-of-2008-rnc_b143711

I'd imagine the DNC numbers will see a similar decline

Clevinger

Haha, what the fuck? It turns out they really were going to do the Holo-Reagan thing. They canceled it out of fear it would upstage Romney.

"It wasn't officially going to be part of the convention," Tony Reynolds, founder of crowdsourcing website A KickIn Crowd, told Yahoo News in a phone interview Thursday. "It was going to be outside of the convention at the Lakeland Center."

Reynolds obtained rights to a Reagan speech discussing small businesses and plans to use the hologram to promote the Jumpstart Our Business Startups Act. He has been working with AV Concepts, one of the companies behind the creation of the Tupac Shakur hologram, which was unveiled at this year's Coachella Music Festival.

However, Reynolds says he discussed the idea with a number of Republican activists who asked him to delay the project out of concerns it would overshadow Mitt Romney's acceptance speech.

I can't wait for 2040 when Republicans run a Reagan AI for president.

thefro

I imagine the DNC numbers will be flat anyway. It's going to be boring as shit. Outside of Obama and Biden nobody "cares" as much about the politics because there's no heat energy around it. RNC was the one to watch for both sides.

The DNC has the advantage of having Bill Clinton and Michelle Obama who can both give killer speeches.

Yea Clinton and Michelle can bring ratings but I don't expect anything amazing - they'll be similar to the RNC's

It'll be interesting to see the ratings on the night of Castro's speech

Allard

The DNC has the advantage of having Bill Clinton and Michelle Obama who can both give killer speeches.

There is also, much like the GOP convention, a lot of dems looking to see who will run for president in 2016 and we got a lot of potential favorites speaking at the convention this year. Unlike this year for Republicans, it won't come off as tactless since Obama can't run again in 2016 lol. That's actually the primary reason I am planning to tune into the DNC convention this year much like how I begrudgingly watched the RNC one. I am already settled on my opinion of Mitt; I wanted to see if someone, anyone was going to come away a breakaway favorite besides the obvious (Christie).

zchen

Not when it comes to Senators and House Reps. Schumer, Fienstein, and numerous others keep trying to get bills banning "assault weapons" hi cap mags, ammo buying on line passed, it may go no were, but it engenders a ton of bad will and fuels the Democrats are coming for our guns and if they win in 2012 Obama will have the support to do it. blah blah .

It doesn't have to be Obama, it's the House and Senate members...including people who want to ban flash hiders on guns, but when asked had no clue what it was (and yes I can give a link).

http://www.usnews.com/news/articles...-to-tighten-gun-control-in-two-separate-bills

It's stupid and pointless and they gain nothing that they don't lose voters for with it. As I said telling people to pound sand on Gun Control isn't going to get them to vote Republican. It's a gimmie to the Republicans.

I vote Democratic, but then I have to also help ensure none of the goofy wing gets to much power and starts doing stupid stuff via lobbying trying to find pro-gun Democrats (which in parts of PA isn't that hard, but say in NJ or NY...yeah right) or fund/support things to ensure a gun control agenda can't pass. It's a balancing act and one I wish I didn't have to do it (though pro-gun democracts I'm find with I mean the other end).

No, that's pretty much correct. It's ironic because as I often mention John Testor has one of the highest NRA rankings of anyone and supported the ACA, and Democratic party positions.

Thanks!

I find my self agreeing with Manos a lot. Here in California I have to deal with stupid gun legislations that are being proposed every year, not to mention some of the stupidest legislation already in place. I feel Gun issue for democrats is in some aspect like the abortion or same sex marriage issue for the republicans (but not to that extent) it's something that they use to get support from one segment of the population but really are better off dropping it and gain a larger support.

I am probably going to glue myself to C-Span for Clinton, Strickland, both Obamas, and O'Malley, and that's about it. Not really much else of interest to me.

thefro

wow, Brian Williams just destroyed Paul Ryan on NBC News.

"Mitt Romney's been running for President for 6 years, why don't we know him?"

Also Ryan said the GM plant lie again after Chuck Todd factchecked him on it the segment before.

Measley

Also Ryan said the GM plant lie again after Chuck Todd factchecked him on it the segment before.

Good to see the media doing its job.

B-Dubs

No Scrubs

Shit like that is why he's awesome.

Pelley owned him on CBS questioning the downgrading of credit by bringing up the Standard & Poors line directly blaming Republicans in congress for being unwilling to raise revenues.

ezekial45

Banned
Michael Moore thinks Mitt Romney will win in November

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2012/08/30/michael-moore-mitt-romney_n_1843824.html

Filmmaker Michael Moore joined HuffPost Live Thursday and predicted that the influence of money in politics would lift Mitt Romney to victory over President Barack Obama in November.

"Mitt Romney is going to raise more money than Barack Obama. That should guarantee his victory," Moore told host Josh Zepps. "I think people should start to practice the words 'President Romney.' To assume that the other side are just a bunch of ignoramuses who are supported by people who believe that Adam and Eve rode on dinosaurs 6,000 years ago is to completely misjudge the opposition."

Moore said he believes that if the election were conducted "American Idol"-style, and Americans were able to vote from their couches, Obama "would win hands down."

"That's not what's gonna happen," he told Zepps. "This election's going to be decided on who gets out the most people that day. Who's up at four in the morning, making sure that dozens, hundreds, thousands of people in their communities are getting out to vote. And the Republican machine that is set up and the money behind it to guarantee [what] is really the only important thing -- turnout on that day -- that's what looks pretty scary here."

Oblivion

Fetishing muscular manly men in skintight hosery

Pelley owned him on CBS questioning the downgrading of credit by bringing up the Standard & Poors line directly blaming Republicans in congress for being unwilling to raise revenues.

Guyz, I think the environment is getting too toxic. People on all sides should lay off each other and not resort to ad hominem attacks.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom