• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

PoliGAF 2012 |OT4|: Your job is not to worry about 47% of these posts.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Just received a call from the obama campaign asking me to volunteer for their Get Out The Vote initiative and spend a few hours driving people to and from the polls on election day (I'm in Eagan, Minnesota).
Damn I'm jealous. Wish I had a car so I could help with stuff like that

Sucks that intrade requires you to wire transfer money. Means it's better to put a lot of money on obama since it costs 15-30 bucks to wire anyway.

LosDaddie

Banned
I'll early vote this saturday.

I was thinking about getting my vote out the way on Sat., but I want to sleep in, and I don't feel like waiting in a long line. I figure there won't be a line at 7am on a Monday morning, and I'll just leave 30min earlier than usual for work :lol

HylianTom

Banned
Wow. MSNBC just took a moment to explain that Obama is winning the North, East, and West regions in their (and other) national polls, while Romney is blowing him away in the South. Remarkable to see this on TV.

Wow. MSNBC just took a moment to explain that Obama is winning the North, East, and West regions in their (and other) national polls, while Romney is blowing him away in the South. Remarkable to see this on TV.

Romney momentum starts in the South and spreads like a wildfire. Can't stop it.

ezrarh

i saw 3 new Romney/Ryan signs in my neighborhood in the Philly suburbs. PA in play

Same thing here in Massachusetts. Seeing equivalent number of Romney to Obama signs in the suburbs of Boston. Governor Romney to take his home state.

edit:

So I decided to look at the comments in that article:

'Brainwashed by liberals in the education system, what do you expect. Poor kids, trapped in the slavery of poverty by their liberal masters.'

People are just waiting around to troll or there are too many angry old folks with nothing to do.

Remember folks.

Ohio has VVPAT (Voter Verified Paper Audit Trail). It's not DRE only.

While VVPAT isn't the best system (really, properly regulated paper ballots are still the most secure), it's better than a system without VVPAT, which I believe was Ohio in 2004, and is still the system of choice in many states today.

In all seriousness i live in a beyond solid red suburb. It's always awesome to go to the polls and basically tell them its easier to find me by looking for the lone pair of D's (my wife and I) on their roll's then our last name.

Which suburb? I suspect I'm in red country- I've seen exactly one campaign sign and it's romney/ryan.

there is a rather large obama campaign hq in the next municipality over though.

Thompson using 9/11 in his ads against Baldwin.

Wonder how eznark is feeling about this. I remember many a-lolz being had when I said Baldwin could still win when it seemed like Thompson would win it running away.

Effect

Remember folks.

While VVPAT isn't the best system (really, properly regulated paper ballots are still the most secure), it's better than a system without VVPAT, which I believe was Ohio in 2004, and is still the system of choice in many states today.

That's good to know. Thanks.

gcubed

Which suburb? I suspect I'm in red country- I've seen exactly one campaign sign and it's romney/ryan.

there is a rather large obama campaign hq in the next municipality over though.

I live in Springfield (Delaware County, since there are two of them). Its strange to me because its a very union town but also insanely republican. I'll be moving next year to blue central though, so its my last presidential election in any kind of swingish state

Atlagev

Bad News for Bad News

02.jpg

Hamilton County in 2004: 53-47 Bush
2008: 53-46 Obama

Delaware County in 2004: 66-34 Bush
2008: 59-40 McCain

If Obama gets anywhere close to his 2008 vote shares in both counties it's pretty much over already

(Side note: I'm smack in the middle of the University District in Columbus and I've been seeing more and more Obama signs all over the place)

I live in Springfield (Delaware County, since there are two of them). Its strange to me because its a very union town but also insanely republican. I'll be moving next year to blue central though, so its my last presidential election in any kind of swingish state

oh, you're not far from me then. I moved to Nether Providence (next to swarthmore) so i know what you're talking about.

gcubed

Hamilton County in 2004: 53-47 Bush
2008: 53-46 Obama

Delaware County in 2004: 66-34 Bush
2008: 59-40 McCain

If Obama gets anywhere close to his 2008 vote shares in both counties it's pretty much over already

i'm surprised it was that close

oh, you're not far from me then. I moved to Nether Providence (next to swarthmore) so i know what you're talking about.

yup, you're right down the street. I lived there before i moved here, couldn't deal with the taxes when i was looking to buy a house

Hitokage

Setec Astronomer
Remember folks.

The voting machines i've seen in NC also use VVPAT, and print selections in full name form too so there's no confusion.

Remember folks.

The Hart DRE systems are only being used for the disabled in Hamilton County, OH according to verifiedvoting.org. That's somewhat relieving.

http://goo.gl/fBA03

My father is in the electrical union here in SO CAL. IBEW. I'm consistently surprised by the amount of right leaning voters he talks to in the union.

i'm surprised it was that close

yup, you're right down the street. I lived there before i moved here, couldn't deal with the taxes when i was looking to buy a house

yeah, I just bought this place and the taxes aren't cheap! Which is probably why there are so many republicans here....

thats alright, he actually won the county, i need to find my towns results

I've lived in delco a long time. its my understanding it was heavily republican for decades, and only recent migration from the cities into the first tier suburbs (of which springfield is not one) swung it towards democratic lately. I wouldn't be surprised if obama got annihilated there. too lazy to look it up though.

edit: ok I lied. here are the delaware county results. http://election.co.delaware.pa.us/eb/November_2008/summary.html

Averon

http://election.princeton.edu/2012/10/23/ro-mentum/#more-7826
Today, the race is quite close. However, note this. In terms of the Electoral College, President Obama has been ahead on every single day of the campaign, without exception.

I would then give the following verdict: Indeed the race is close, but it seems stable. For the last week, there is no evidence that conditions have been moving toward Romney.

The popular vote is a different story. I estimate an approximately 25% chance that the popular vote and the electoral vote will go in opposite directions – a “Bush v. Gore scenario”. I regard this as a serious risk, since it would engender prolonged bitterness.

HylianTom

Banned
I'm not a very religious man, but I still remember pausing in my little Texas voting boothlet and saying, "Dear Lord - please, pleease let this happen" before casting my vote for Obama in 2008.

I also remember my prayer in the voting booth in Texas, 2004: "Dear Lord.. let that outlier poll showing a bare Kerry lead in Ohio be true. Please?"

In 2000 it was, "Lord.. you're not really gonna let this madman win, are you?"

And I didn't pray in 96 at all. I laughed and said to myself, "Ha! He's gonna win Louisiana again, and my uncles' heads are gonna explode!"

I'm still not over 2000, and I don't think I'll ever get over it.

The Hart DRE systems are only being used for the disabled according to verifiedvoting.org. That's somewhat relieving.

http://goo.gl/fBA03

Yep.

As I posted in the other thread about Ohio - I think that's why they are trying hard to clamp down on voting before people get to the booths.

After they get to the booths, tampering with the election becomes much harder due to the infrastructure in place.

Wilsongt

As a gay man, and a Democrat to boot, I will never, ever understand how gay people can be Republicans. Especially not with the current politicians we have.

Gay GOP group hesitantly backs Romney

WASHINGTON (AP) — A prominent gay Republican group offered Mitt Romney its "qualified endorsement" on Tuesday, calling it the right decision for the nation even as it slammed Romney's opposition to gay marriage.

Rather than offer the Republican presidential nominee its full support, Log Cabin Republicans said it will focus its efforts instead on Republican candidates for House and Senate who favor equality for gays and lesbians.

Isn't finding a Republican in congress who supports gay and lesbian rights about as rare as a finding a needle in a haystack?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom