• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

PoliGAF 2012 |OT4|: Your job is not to worry about 47% of these posts.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Smiley90

Stop shitting on my team. Start shitting on my finger.
It's hard to say.

Democrats taking the house is the longest of long shots. but they can take enough seats that boehner is forced to compromise to get things passed. (Remember, he has NO control over the tea partiers.)

The senate is almost assuredly going to stay dem unless by some miracle (say, trump has an obama/palin sex tape) obama gets blown out.

what needs to happen though, is for romney to lose- otherwise ridiculous, across the board obstruction gets validated as a political tactic, and we repeat the last 4 years in congress for the next decade and a half. Having it fail and everyone get back to acting like adults is necessary.

The fuck? Did I miss something? :lol

Oh I'm PRETTY confident Obama will win. I was hoping for a landslide, but I guess that's not happening. At least he's winning. Romney is a salesman, not a Politician. I actually liked how MSNBC put it yesterday: As a Politician, you should display your opinions and hope it resonates with the population. What Romney does is he looks at what resonates with the people and then he displays that as his opinions. Wrong way around.

Neither will I. There are fewer groups of voters that I have more contempt for, to be honest. Hell, one of the first questions I asked my partner (Southern/country-boy/military) 16 years ago on Date #1 was, "Please - tell me you're not a Republican?"

Yeah, I don't quite understand it. Even if you buy into the whole supply-side economics bit . . . they are basically selling-out their own rights for a 20% increase in take-home pay? Is that worth selling your civil rights for?

I doubt most people agree with ALL the policy views of the team you've lined up for so you instead prioritize things and go with the group that agrees with you on the items you find most important. The gay-Republicans have literally devalued their own self-respect for a few bucks. That is sad.

The kind of coverage that PBS does on shows like Frontline makes MSNBC look like Channel 1 News.

Yeah but apart from Frontline and Independent Lens, PBS news is crap. They dare not point out factual errors and misstatements, lest they appear in the tank for the President. The guy is right. MSNBC is the best news channel.

Smiley90

Stop shitting on my team. Start shitting on my finger.
Pretty much. Unless Democrats reform the filibuster.

How would they do that? All I know is that I feel (or, better, HOPE) Obama was constrained by a Republican Congress and his own fear of not getting re-elected and that he can go full-2008-Obama now that he'll be in his second term. But if Congress will still block everything he proposes, not much of that could really happen.

So, I'm asking PoliGAF, what's the best case, and how would we get there?

Tim-E

Yeah but apart from Frontline and Independent Lens, PBS news is crap. They dare not point out factual errors and misstatements, lest they appear in the tank for the President. The guy is right. MSNBC is the best news channel.

I think it's just people like Shultz and Sharpton that sour me on it. I do watch Maddow though, as I think she's fantastic. Chris Hayes is pretty good, too.

THE PRESIDENT: We had a severe outbreak last night. It was at least stage three Romnesia. And I just want to go over with you some of the symptoms, Delray, because I want to make sure nobody in the surrounding area catches it. If you say that you love American cars during a debate, but you wrote an article titled, “Let Detroit Go Bankrupt,” you might have Romnesia.
If you talk about how much you love teachers during a debate — but said just a few weeks ago that we shouldn’t hire any more because they won’t grow the economy, what do you have?

AUDIENCE: Romnesia!
THE PRESIDENT: I’ll bet you’ve got some Romnesia. If you say you love Medicare — and by the way, there’s a theme here — he keeps on loving stuff and then wants to end it or cut it or not help it. But if you say that you love Medicare, but your plan turns it into a voucher that ends the guaranteed benefit of Medicare, you definitely have Romnesia.
So, I mean, we’re breaking down the symptoms here. If you’ve come down with a case of Romnesia, if you can’t seem to remember the policies on your website, or the promises that you’ve been making over the six years that you’ve been running for President, if you can’t even remember what you said last week — don’t worry, Obamacare covers preexisting conditions. We can fix you up.

We can cure this disease. There’s a cure!
Listen, let me just say this. In all seriousness, I mean, we’re accustomed to seeing politicians change their positions from four years ago. We are not accustomed to seeing politicians change their position from four days ago.

Goddamn, Obama's trolling is MASTERFUL. I'm in tears here.

Kusagari

lmao at that Trump shit.

Bringing that up will only reflect badly on the Republicans no matter what Mitt does. If I was him I'd do everything possible to get Trump to shut the fuck up - if Trump even has it.

Loudninja

Entire Nation Now Undecided After 4 Debates
WASHINGTON—Following the completion of three presidential debates and one vice presidential debate, a nationwide Gallup tracking poll conducted this morning has found that all registered voters in the United States now consider themselves undecided in the upcoming election.

According to the polling data, 100 percent of women, men, African-Americans, Hispanics, small business owners, LGBT voters, seniors, Tea Party activists, and members of every other category surveyed fall into the undecided camp after witnessing the candidates from both the Democratic and Republican tickets face off on national television for a total of six hours.

“Watching how these men conduct themselves in simple one-on-one exchanges made me completely unsure of what I’m going to do when I receive my ballot and have to put a check next to one of their names,” undecided Florida voter Colleen Moynihan said. “In the first debate, Obama was either being timid or arrogant or both, so I had my doubts about him. And while Romney was more confident and engaged, I honestly felt like I couldn’t trust much of anything he said.”

“Really the only thing I can say for certain is that I don’t want to hear anything else from either one of them ever again,” Moynihan added.

In addition to not knowing whether they will support President Obama or Republican challenger Mitt Romney in November, U.S. voters also could not say who they believe is stronger on any given issue, with 0 percent of those polled stating that they could tell a difference between the two candidates on foreign policy following last night’s debate.
http://www.theonion.com/articles/entire-nation-now-undecided-after-4-debates,30065/

HylianTom

Banned
Go ahead, Trump. And watch the gender gap blow wide fucking open. To see the Obamas as strong as they are today after facing such difficulty? Watch the women of the nation flock.
tumblr_m0jsutJLvO1qeie3mo1_500.gif

Go ahead, Trump. And watch the gender gap blow wide fucking open. To see the Obamas as strong as they are today after facing such difficulty? Watch the women of the nation flock.
http://25.media.tumblr.com/tumblr_m0jsutJLvO1qeie3mo1_500.gif[img][/QUOTE]
which is why I think even if Trump has it, GOP operatives will most likely stop him from going with it.

Apparently Trump is going to reveal that Michelle filed for divorce in 2000
If this happens...

...it will have no effect on Obama's chances at winning whatsoever.

In fact unless it's something like "Barack came home every night and beat his wife and kids" i.e. the reason for the divorce says something bad about Obama and not just the couple having a rough patch, I think it will only help Obama in the sense that he can explain "We had tough times, like any couple, but we stuck together and now our love is stronger than ever."

And then he wins re-election because he's the fucking boss.

Miletius

My hope is that moderate house Republicans will agree to work with the Democrats if enough crazy tea-party types get the boot. That's why voting in places like MO matter because it absolutely matters if Akin is a Senator versus the relatively moderate McCaskill. If people can see that somebody like Akin can win what should be a sane segment of the electorate there is no hope for compromise.

HylianTom

Banned
Barack come out and confirms it.

Then, he and Michelle go on The View together and emotionally recollect the hard times and profess their enduring love. Barbara Walters and the girls are openly weeping on live televison. This moment gets replayed on other TV channels endlessly for 72 crucial hours.

The unspoken parallel political theme? "Stick with us - it really is going to get better."

Gender gap makes this race go kablooey.

Y2Kev

TLG Fan Caretaker Est. 2009
Barack come out and confirms it.

Then, he and Michelle go on The View together and emotionally recollect the hard times and profess their enduring love.

The unspoken parallel political theme? "Stick with us - it really is going to get better."

Gender gap makes this race go kablooey.

I'd vote for rom. His marriage seems real and I doubt he tortures Hillary in the basement.

3rdman

Hamilton County usually goes red but it went blue in 2008. It's one of the counties.

In Ohio in 2004, some precincts had exit polls where Kerry overperformed up to 28% compared to the actual counted returns for those precincts. Statewide, Kerry won the exit polls by 4.2%, yet he lost the state by 2.5%.

I'm NOT a conspiracy theorist, but Ohio 2004 looked sketchy as fuck. I'd actually like someone to convince me otherwise. Hopefully the exit pollers fucked up somehow and the election was not stolen.

It's not a conspiracy...something really odd did happen there in 2004. There was an HBO documentary that followed a group of activists trying to dig up the truth. In one eye-popping scene, the cameraman decided to follow one of the county workers as their were interviewing another person. They caught her red-handed taking ballots to the dumpster in the back.

Fake edit: Found it...It was called "Hacking Democracy" http://www.hackingdemocracy.com/

Clevinger

How would they do that? All I know is that I feel (or, better, HOPE) Obama was constrained by a Republican Congress and his own fear of not getting re-elected and that he can go full-2008-Obama now that he'll be in his second term. But if Congress will still block everything he proposes, not much of that could really happen.

So, I'm asking PoliGAF, what's the best case, and how would we get there?

Democrats need something like 50 to 52 votes to change the filibuster. Harry Reid, usually a useless fuck (who refused to change the filibuster earlier when he had the chance), has said he wants to change it in the future. Democrats are looking pretty decently for those numbers in the senate.

So, best case scenario, Democrats change the filibuster, get some stuff done.

Let me guess, the Daily Mail?

Bingo.

If this happens...

...it will have no effect on Obama's chances at winning whatsoever.

In fact unless it's something like "Barack came home every night and beat his wife and kids" i.e. the reason for the divorce says something bad about Obama and not just the couple having a rough patch, I think it will only help Obama in the sense that he can explain "We had tough times, like any couple, but we stuck together and now our love is stronger than ever. ..sticking together through adversity and tough times, yet coming out better on the other side...One could use our marriage as a metaphor for what I think we as a country can achieve by finishing what what we started 4 years ago and moving FORWARD."

And then he wins re-election because he's the fucking boss.

Amended.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom