• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

PoliGAF 2016 |OT16| Unpresidented

Status
Not open for further replies.

Tall4Life

I've mostly calmed down after this election. I'm still nervous as shit, but it isn't the first thing on my mind anymore. We'll see if that changes in a few months

jtb

Banned
It's not that the campaign messaging was wrong for this election. It's that there was. no. message.

The message was literally "I'm not Trump." What the fuck kind of message is that?

It's not that the campaign messaging was wrong for this election. It's that there was. no. message.

The message was literally "I'm not Trump." What the fuck kind of message is that?

That's the other part of it..."The media keeps nailing me on email servers and Benghazi. But atleast I'm not Trump!"

Man...

Dierce

If trump does destroy Obama's legacy the next Democratic presidential candidate should definitely rile up the base with that. Remind everyone how trump and republican cronies have disrespected the very fabric of our democracy and the accomplishments of a great man.

"Here we have trump, who lost the popular vote but felt he had a mandate to destroy his predecessors legacy. To eradicate from the face of history the very fact that an African American president was able to lift us up from a great recession. He wants us to forget that an African American president was able to help millions of Americans to acquire life saving healthcare while the economy produced millions of jobs.

trump who once led the racist and conspiratorial birtherism meant to discredit the legitimacy of Obama's presidency wants us to forget how Obama was above all, a great man. This will never be forgotten and it is up to you, as Americans, to stop trump and his bigoted and corrupt movement."

There was a message. "4-8 more years of Obama policies and improvements on those." It's the truthful message, it's the achievable message, it's not the inspiring message, but a message it remains.

I'm convinced that what this election proves is that you HAVE to lie to the voters*, or else they simply won't show up. They're not interested in anyone promising the possible.

*Or, at least, the Democratic voters. Republican voters always show up, racism, sexism, and impossible promises are just an added bonus.

Boke1879

Maddow looked like she had been crying recently.

I don't blame her. This is hitting a lot of people like they've just been hit by a truck.

Because reality has set in. This country is ok with electing a sexist, racist, bigot, unfit, unhinged, petty, self gloating narcissistic man. He had no plans. He lowered the bar in everything.

No one has any idea what's going to happen. Look at his VP, the people surrounding him. The GOP control congress and soon the courts. This is scary.

I've mostly calmed down after this election. I'm still nervous as shit, but it isn't the first thing on my mind anymore. We'll see if that changes in a few months

I got my appetite back today and ate ALL THE THINGS. I was dying. My stomach wouldn't stop making noise because over a day and a half I had eaten a third of a package of General Tso take out and a piece of toast with peanut butter

I've also played my normal video games. Watched some streamers. I slept great. Back to normal routines I do every day.

There's nothing I can do to change the election at this point. What happened is what happened, so fretting about how it could have changed is useless. I'm cautiously nervous about the future, though.

Kusagari

The hilarious thing is Pence is probably the most sane one in his inner circle.

He's an evil fuck but I have more faith in him to go "whoa, hold the fuck up" if Trump is saying something truly insane than I do in Rudy, Carson or these other shits in his cabinet.

cheezcake

There was a message. "4-8 more years of Obama policies and improvements on those." It's the truthful message, it's the achievable message, it's not the inspiring message, but a message it remains.

I'm convinced that what this election proves is that you HAVE to lie to the voters, or else they simply won't show up. They're not interested in someone promising the possible.

That's not a vision. People need something to attach themselves to, a sentence that defines a President.

Obama - "Change we can believe in"
Trump - "Make America Great Again"
Clinton - "More of Obama, also I'm not Trump"

Obama hardly lied to win. One problem is Clinton defined herself through others which is utterly uninspiring, nor did she express a personal vision for America. She fucked up, though this is only a small aspect of it.

Dany

Banned
I will live for the day for republicans in congress to officially denounce him.

He will have to fight "his own party" in the primaries in 2020.

Your President-Elect may have drugged Megyn Kelly.

https://twitter.com/BraddJaffy/status/796899827485462528

Megyn Kelly writes in her new book that Trump threatened her before the 1st primary debate, knew question beforehand http://nyti.ms/2eOycNV

Cw8oJEAUsAQ_j4T.jpg

Cw8oJD-VEAAxd-g.jpg

Sibylus

Banned
Another bit that I know will be controversial to the extreme:

• No comprehensive gun reform is possible or even desirable in this climate of building fascism. Minorities especially need an added layer of protection and deterrence, and it's time to wake up to reality. We need more minorities practicing their 2A rights, not less. Now is not the time for disarmament.

Lawrence O'Donnell is going in on how terrible the electoral college is.

We really are having the discussion on how much we fucked up when more people wanted her to become president.

Revolver

I was trying to calm myself down a bit, but then I see him tweeting again and am right back in an episode of Black Mirror.

I will live for the day for republicans in congress to officially denounce him.

He will have to fight "his own party" in the primaries in 2020.
It's a nice thought but that's ship sailed on Tuesday night when he crushed and brought tons of republicans over the finish line.

That's not a vision. People need something to attach themselves to, a sentence that defines a President.

Obama - "Change we can believe in"
Trump - "Make America Great Again"
Clinton - "More of Obama, also I'm not Trump"

Obama hardly lied to win. One problem is Clinton defined herself through others which is utterly uninspiring, nor did she express a personal vision for America. She fucked up, though this is only a small aspect of it.

The issue was message?

Obama definitely lied to win. He might not have known it about everything, but he promised the impossible on a whole bunch of issues.

7 cops have been killed by white shooters in the last week.

#BlueLivesMatter haven't been very talkative about Nazis shooting at police for some reason.

Lawrence O'Donnell is going in on how terrible the electoral college is.

I wish we didn't do this. Well I mean it is ok because despite Obama killing both elections easily they still tried to delegitimize him, and I can't imagine how they would act if he won in a way like this.. But this election was easily winnable regardless of the EC and we supremely fucked it.

Our system is fine considering how large and diverse the country is. If it was purely by popular vote there would be no reason to visit smaller states in elections. The EC gives people a reason to value economically diverse regions and considering their needs/concerns more. We didn't do that. And we lost.

Slayerx

What are the chances of a blue wave in 2018? He won't be able to blame anyone but himself for the next 2 years, the focus will be on him not emails. Also wondering what repealing Obamacare will do once millions of people lose coverage.

Her popular vote win which is not even particularly narrow tells us that it was a badly run campaign and both senate and presidency were very winnable.

jtb

Banned
I can't get over the fact that her biggest strength was turned into her biggest liability. She never defended her record. "I fought for you. I have fought for you my whole career. I will continue fighting for you."

She bear hugged Obama, despite the past eight years being evidence that no one actually seems to understand his policies or how they made people's lives better. They like him now because he's above partisan rancor, not because they like his policies. (see: 2012 election, where he could never make the case for himself, only Warren/Clinton could)

"Fighting for fairness" is not a good slogan, but it's better than "Stronger together" (which, again, is just defining yourself as not-Trump.)

She's not the unity candidate, she's not the hope candidate--she's the scrappy fighter candidate. Embrace her partisan past. Ironically, her message in the primary seems more resonant than her messaging in the general. Shit, her Penn micro-fucked alpha (fe)male message that (almost) co-opted the change agent message in 08 was better than this shit.

That's who I wish she had willingly portrayed herself as if, for no other reason than that is exactly who she is.

counterfactuals, hypotheticals, etc. etc. i know i know.

I wish we didn't do this. Well I mean it is ok because despite Obama killing both elections easily they still tried to delegitimize him, and I can't imagine how they would act if he won in a way like this.. But this election was easily winnable regardless of the EC and we supremely fucked it.

Our system is fine considering how large and diverse the country is. If it was purely by popular vote there would be no reason to visit smaller states in elections. The EC gives people a reason to value economically diverse regions and considering their needs/concerns more. We didn't do that. And we lost.

And at the same time fucks over states that are actually diverse. You wouldn't be able to win the popular vote without appealing to different people all over the country.

The Technomancer

card-carrying scientician
What are the chances of a blue wave in 2018? He won't be able to blame anyone but himself for the next 2 years, the focus will be on him not emails. Also wondering what repealing Obamacare will do once millions of people lose coverage.

Her popular vote win which is not even particularly narrow tells us that it was a badly run campaign and both senate and presidency were very winnable.

We can make significant gains in the house if we you know, have an actual strategy.

I don't know if the senate is possible regardless of what we do.

Fuck DWS.

The Technomancer

card-carrying scientician

We can do it. I believe it more than ever. People aren't just going to shut up. This might be the kick in the ass liberals finally fucking need.

Good organization. Fresh blood in the races and someone experienced like Dean organizing it all

Zukkoyaki

We can do it. I believe it more than ever. People aren't just going to shut up. This might be the kick in the ass liberals finally fucking need.

Good organization. Fresh blood in the races and someone experienced like Dean organizing it all
There's definitely a chance! People seem invigorated and angry right now. Many thousands are protesting all over the country which will just intensity as he actually assumes power. If they try to knock them out there will just be more hell to pay. Rally against Trump will be an easy message.

We can make significant gains in the house if we you know, have an actual strategy.

I don't know if the senate is possible regardless of what we do.

Fuck DWS.

The Senate will mostly be defending seats the Democrats already have. The Republicans who will be defending seats are mostly in deep red states. The only battleground/battlegroundish states with seats up for grabs will be:

* Arizona (Flake).
* Nevada (Heller)

Flake might face a significant primary challenge, especially as he was a NeverTrumper. Heller might be vulnerable though (if I remember right, he wasn't all that popular in his last run).

That said, the Dems have a LOT of seats to protect.

jtb

Banned
Flake could be very vulnerable from his anti-Trump stance... or strengthened. I really don't know how it'll play out.

Drakeon

Nah, fuck that. No president ever visits the states that are never in play (WY, AK, ID, VT, OR, all small states, which also never get visited because they always vote either Republican or Democrat). California, New York, Texas, never get any visits past fundraising from either presidential candidate and those 3 states make up close to a third of the country. This is a terrible reason to keep the EC, because it's not true. It's 90% of the same states every single time getting the same attention.

The only small states that get visited are the ones like NV, IA, NH, any of them that might swing either way.

Debirudog

From Politico...

But in general, Bill Clinton’s viewpoint of fighting for the working class white voters was often dismissed with a hand wave by senior members of the team as a personal vendetta to win back the voters who elected him, from a talented but aging politician who simply refused to accept the new Democratic map. At a meeting ahead of the convention at which aides presented to both Clintons the “Stronger Together” framework for the general election, senior strategist Joel Benenson told the former president bluntly that the voters from West Virginia were never coming back to his party.

Hmmm...Bill may be a liability at times but he's got a point.

Crocodile

I can't get over the fact that her biggest strength was turned into her biggest liability. She never defended her record. "I fought for you. I have fought for you my whole career. I will continue fighting for you."

She bear hugged Obama, despite the past eight years being evidence that no one actually seems to understand his policies or how they made people's lives better. They like him now because he's above partisan rancor, not because they like his policies. (see: 2012 election, where he could never make the case for himself, only Warren/Clinton could)

"Fighting for fairness" is not a good slogan, but it's better than "Stronger together" (which, again, is just defining yourself as not-Trump.)

She's not the unity candidate, she's not the hope candidate--she's the scrappy fighter candidate. Embrace her partisan past. Ironically, her message in the primary seems more resonant than her messaging in the general. Shit, her Penn micro-fucked alpha (fe)male message that (almost) co-opted the change agent message in 08 was better than this shit.

That's who I wish she had willingly portrayed herself as if, for no other reason than that is exactly who she is.

counterfactuals, hypotheticals, etc. etc. i know i know.

"Fight for the Future" should have been the slogan. Makes a good contrast vs. MAGA.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom