• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

PoliGAF 2017 |OT2| Well, maybe McMaster isn't a traitor.

Status
Not open for further replies.

benjipwns

Banned
actually, we should just send them to rachel and have her explain them verbally without any actual visual aids and by digressing into the extended historical background of every entity on them

second highest ratings for msnbc ever!

Y2Kev

TLG Fan Caretaker Est. 2009
actually, we should just send them to rachel and have her explain them verbally without any actual visual aids and by digressing into the extended historical background of every entity on them

second highest ratings for msnbc ever!
What was the first?

Carter would have gotten probably somewhere between 80-105 EV's if Anderson never existed. He would have probably won MA, AL,AR,DE,KY(?),ME(?),NC(?),SC(?) and TN(?).WI may have been another possible win.

Massachusetts is the most obvious case. Reagan's margin was less than 4000 votes, and Anderson got over 380000. It gave Anderson his highest percentage (15.2%) and his third highest raw total (behind CA and NY). New England was Anderson's strongest region, as his five best performances were all in New England. His worst performance in New England was Maine, and he still got over 10% there (it was his 9th best state overall). Seems like there may still have been a lot of hard feelings in the region related to Ted Kennedy's primary challenge.

Massachusetts amazingly went for Reagan twice, though it provided his narrowest victories (in percentage terms) both times.

Massachusetts is the most obvious case. Reagan's margin was less than 4000 votes, and Anderson got over 380000. It gave Anderson his highest percentage (15.2%) and his third highest raw total (behind CA and NY). New England was Anderson's strongest region, as his five best performances were all in New England. His worst performance in New England was Maine, and he still got over 10% there (it was his 9th best state overall). Seems like there may still have been a lot of hard feelings in the region related to Ted Kennedy's primary challenge.

Massachusetts amazingly went for Reagan twice, though it provided his narrowest victories (in percentage terms) both times.
No match for Mondalesota.

I majored in political science. I went to law school because I was unqualified to do anything else. Now I'm a lawyer.

Learn from my mistake. Don't major in political science.

Ogodei

(Benji's not wrong on #1- learn a skill.)

You can minor on a skill within Poli Sci. Say, Poli Sci with a Stats minor, or a foreign language minor.

The thing i'd make mandatory for Freshman is that they should go through an exercise to pick 4 jobs that sound good to them, pick those jobs right off of job-search websites, have Career Development help with that. Take a hard look at the requirements of those 4 jobs, and say "how could i get one of them?"

You can be job-focused and still take many of the subjects you have a passion for. Don't throw yourself into STEM or business school unless you really have a passion for those things, but *do* have an idea of how to turn your passion into an actual job and compromise from there.

trh

Nifty AND saffron-colored!
How is it that John McCain is a member of both the far right Tea Party Caucus as well as the centrist Republican Main Street Partnership? Not that it's surprising to see John McCain having multiple conflicting viewpoints, but still.

Minnesota indeed has the longest streak of any state when it comes to voting Democratic in presidential elections, by virtue of being the only state Mondale won (he took it by fewer than 4000 votes). The last time they voted Republican was Nixon in 1972, though they made for Nixon's closest victory in percentage terms (still over 5% though). Massachusetts was the lone state won by McGovern.

DC has the distinction of having voted Democratic in every election since it got the right to vote in presidential elections (starting with the 1964 election), but of course it's not a state.

royalan

Word of the Day from Republican surrogates on the news today:

"Bipartisanship"

HAHA! Now y'all wanna work together?

Get fucked.

kirblar

I majored in political science. I went to law school because I was unqualified to do anything else. Now I'm a lawyer.

Learn from my mistake. Don't major in political science.
I swapped from Poli Sci to Econ. Suddenly it was all about actual data instead of learning nothing but how to argue a position. (Not that Econ is ideology-free, but you can absolutely get blown up for bad data.)

You can minor on a skill within Poli Sci. Say, Poli Sci with a Stats minor, or a foreign language minor.

The thing i'd make mandatory for Freshman is that they should go through an exercise to pick 4 jobs that sound good to them, pick those jobs right off of job-search websites, have Career Development help with that. Take a hard look at the requirements of those 4 jobs, and say "how could i get one of them?"

You can be job-focused and still take many of the subjects you have a passion for. Don't throw yourself into STEM or business school unless you really have a passion for those things, but *do* have an idea of how to turn your passion into an actual job and compromise from there.
Yeah be like me and get polisci with math and CS minors. Which was totally planned and not because I finished my third year of CS and had transitioned from "wow this is so fun and cool" to "what is the point of life."

At least with the way my school structures polisci it's pretty easy to double major as like International Studies/Polisci + foreign language if you plan it out from the start though.

Obviously they're just trying to pin their failure on Democrats, but the problem they would have getting Democratic votes on any health care bill is that it would have to be something at least some Democrats would consider better than doing nothing. It's the same problem Democrats had eight years ago trying to get Republicans on board with health care reform, except back then the Democrats could fall back on a functional majority and an effective president.

benjipwns

Banned
New England was Anderson's strongest region, as his five best performances were all in New England. His worst performance in New England was Maine, and he still got over 10% there (it was his 9th best state overall). Seems like there may still have been a lot of hard feelings in the region related to Ted Kennedy's primary challenge.
Hopping on the train here, no idea what the conversation is about...apologies if this was all already discussed.

Carter didn't exactly batter Ford in New England, MA being his best state at 56-40. McGovern got 54%.

Anderson almost certainly hurt Carter more tactically over the course of the election. Anderson was polling at 20% during the summer when Reagan and Carter were tied in the mid-30's. But he eventually lost those voters who came back to the parties to Reagan because Carter was so damaged. And the lone debate between the two was A WEEK BEFORE THE ELECTION. After Carter spent all of the fall refusing to debate with Reagan until Anderson dropped in the polls after he and Reagan debated and people no longer saw Reagan as a sinister madman or whatever the story is.

The exit polls for 1976 vs 1980 (Carter-R-Anderson)
Code:
Democrats: 77-22 -> 66-26-6
Independents: 43-54 -> 30-54-12

Liberals: 70-26 -> 57-27-11
Moderates: 51-48 -> 42-48-8

College Graduate: 45-55 -> 35-51-11

Union: 59-39 -> 47-44-7

18-21: 48-50 -> 44-43-11
22-29: 51-46 -> 43-43-11
30-44: 49-49 -> 37-54-7

Seems like something I did in middle school or junior high, probably both.

royalan

Lindsey Graham is such a sack of shit.

"I don't believe that liberals get to have their nominees but conservatives can't."

You guys REFUSED a hearing for a liberal nominee.

benjipwns

Banned
I swapped from Poli Sci to Econ. Suddenly it was all about actual data instead of learning nothing but how to argue a position. (Not that Econ is ideology-free, but you can absolutely get blown up for bad data.)
Political Science as a field is divided into two strata.

All the lower tier fundamentals that people who are just passing through get is qualitative. Mainly about systems and processes.

Then above that line it's quantitative. (Unless you go into Anarchy Studies which some people call International Relations. And then there's paper pusher which shouldn't be a field of study but whatever have your fancy MPA.)

Only the data sucks and is worthless for what the field wants it to be used for. So it's all about..um...grant money? I dunno. Personally, I like teaching intros unlike everyone else in the world.

sc0la

Unconfirmed Member
Lindsey Graham is such a sack of shit.

"I don't believe that liberals get to have their nominees but conservatives can't."

You guys REFUSED a hearing for a liberal nominee.
Cool cool. You guys got a nominee too congrats.

A vote on him tho? idk let's not get ahead of ourselves, Lindsey.

so anything "domestic" I don't think he will stray far from party orthodoxy.

but, when it comes to Foreign Affairs and National Security, his anti-Russia stance is in mainstream place where it should be

numble

Any upper-level social science field of study deals in data and statistics.

T

thepotatoman

Unconfirmed Member
Word of the Day from Republican surrogates on the news today:

"Bipartisanship"

HAHA! Now y'all wanna work together?

Get fucked.
lol

Show me a republican plan that doesn't involve discrimination of minorities or funneling money and power to the top .1% and we can talk.

Until then, bipartisanship is dead.

sazzy

so anything "domestic" I don't think he will stray far from party orthodoxy.

but, when it comes to Foreign Affairs and National Security, his anti-Russia stance is in mainstream place where it should be

and he supports legislation requiring release of tax returns for 2020

benjipwns

Banned
Lindsey Graham is literally the most baffling man in politics to me. Everyone else I feel like I can figure them out, even Trump. But Graham man.

What makes him tick.

Even his military career is weird as fuck.

Alright I did just that thank you it's hard cause they tebd to be so nice to everyone it's sad.

Yeah it's rough. Take the help until you don't need it and then tell them to piss off. I was mad at the time, but I had to pay for college entirely on my own, and I credit my current independence to that. I got to tell my racist dad to fuck off at 18 instead of tolerating his crap for longer.

kirblar

The desire for some on the left to take credit for Trump/Ryan botching this whole thing is bizarre to me. It's like the election predictions all over again.
Any upper-level social science field of study deals in data and statistics.
I had a great class on international relations from a Professor whose background was on Russia. (This is '02/'03 era, so Afghanistan and its history was real important at the time.)

But so many of the other lower-level classes were gigantic navel-gazing wastes of time. All about philosophy, where nothing could be a "wrong answer." That drove me up the wall. It's very possible for there to be multiple valid solutions for a problem. It's not possible that all answers are equally valid and correct, and the need to sit there and smile, and pretend that they are drove me up a wall.. It was like living in the head of a CNN anchor who needs to have "both sides" represented at all times.

Ok, can you guys help me understand something.

For 7 years the republicans campaigned on repealing obamacare, the republican voters obviously liked this because the republicans started taking control of the government with this campaign promise. But whenever it came time to actually do it, the republican voters didnt want them to do it because they apparently are dependent on obamacare for health insurance........wtf is going on?

kirblar

For 7 years the republicans campaigned on repealing obamacare, the republican voters obviously liked this because the republicans started taking control of the government with this campaign promise. But whenever it came time to actually do it, the republican voters didnt want them to do it because they apparently are dependent on obamacare for health insurance........wtf is going on?
Pelosi was Right.
“We have to pass the bill,” she said, “so that you can find out what is in it — away from the fog of the controversy.”

Once you give a government benefit to people, it's almost impossible to retract it. The GOP knew this, which is why they were freaking out about it passing, because they knew if it got to stick, they wouldn't be able to undo it. Passing the ACA means the battleground permanently changed, even if the know-nothing base of the GOP was still mad about it.

The Technomancer

card-carrying scientician

Its easy to be an opposition party based in ideals

Its hard to be the party in power when those ideals materially screw over your constituents

dramatis

While we often speak of 'Republicans' in a general, encompassing manner, the truth is there are various groups that form the coalition that allows Republicans to have power.

The racists who reject Obamacare because 'Obama' is in it. The business interests—both small and big!—who would like their taxes to go down. The group of people who feared changes to their healthcare and adamantly opposed ACA even as they complain on the side about how their premiums are going up. And so on.

I don't doubt there might be overlap between people who originally hated Obamacare, then found in the past 7 years that they needed Obamacare in some shape or form, and now have become 'havers': now that they 'have' it, they don't want it taken away.

studyguy

R voters had it in their mind that Republicans genuinely had something in the works. You don't that cry foul for 7 years and have nothing to show.

Freedom Caucus ran in the idea that a full would be it. Their voter base is equally nuts. They don't get what they want they vote no. Period. Some of them apparently got some concessions and voted no anyway lol, that's​ what they do. ACA or AHCA in any form seems egregious to them since they'd rather have the government out entirely.

Tuesday Group of moderates wanted a repeal and replace with something meaningful that wouldn't hurt their constituents. These are the people who freaked out over town halls where the people actually gave a shit over losing essential benefits and the like. They have a shitload of people behind them who absolutely lose on a full repeal.

Push comes to shove you can't bridge a gap between Freedom Caucus and the Tuesday types since their demands literally means one side loses out entirely. Thus the breakdown. It isn't to say Republicans couldn't do it, rather it seems they didn't even do their due diligence to consider the needs of the wildly disparate groups.

Trumps twitter response-"@michealflynn DONT FORGET SNITCHES GET STITCHES"
Next time Flynn shows up on TV

635752451177302521365974781_Marietta.jpg

benjipwns

Banned

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Fallacy_of_division
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Fallacy_of_composition
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ecological_fallacy
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/If-by-whiskey
etc.

repeat until all of political history happens

FyreWulff

Because literally, LITERALLY, they were just grinding vote records for newbies as they got voted in. They always knew the repeal votes were going nowhere, but they could get every new Republican on record as being against Obamacare, so you had to fall in line and participate in the waste-vote or they'd primary you right back out. The right wingers loved being on record that they voted to repeal Obamacare as well.

Now they have a majority, so the ones that are proper governance are going "okay, our votes are no longer practice rounds, we actually have to be careful now" + the teapers not feeling the bill goes extreme enough + the old rule that once you have a majority the people that make up the last few votes you need suddenly become more powerful = dead bill.

They also expected to lose this election and have Hilary in office, you can bet if Hil was in office today they would have easily had another repeal vote to (once again) grind newbie vote EXP and set up Hillary as The Enemy even moreso than they already did.

The politically smart thing for the GOP to have done would have been to have one repeal vote way back when to make their point, and then move on, distance from repeal, and "land the plane" so to speak with a bill that would improve Obamacare that they could easily get dem votes for. Instead, they made it their sole single issue, but since they had no reason to actually come up with a replacement to sate the base with their repeal votes, and their President made it one of his single issues to get elected on.. WOMP WOMP WOOOOOOOOMP

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom