• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

PoliGAF 2017 |OT2| Well, maybe McMaster isn't a traitor.

Status
Not open for further replies.
And what about that fucking "magnificent" bird

To be honest, as if '17 wasn't bad enough, my relationship with my brother really suffered through 15 and 16 due largely to his zealous Sanders support. Calling CNN Pravda for the Clintons (imagine that), getting a Giant Meteor bumper sticker, agreeing with PP-as-establishment, things like that. Sometime in recent years, he became a JFK conspiracy buff and a 9/11 truther, and this is a generally smart history major ivy-league grad (whatever that counts for). I was told he eventually voted Clinton in the general, but I've never asked him personally. He did defend the Gabbard-Assad lovefest in more recent months though.

I really don't want to harp on the "Screw Sanders" train of discussion, because it IS decisive and fruitless in the face of this monstrosity, but the uncooperativeness does seem to never complete abate.

benjipwns

Banned
What exactly are we supposed to be expecting a Republican controlled Senate committee to turn up via a set of interviews with known liars that the FBI didn't with its actual investigative powers?

To be honest, as if '17 wasn't bad enough, my relationship with my brother really suffered through 15 and 16 due largely to his zealous Sanders support. Calling CNN Pravda for the Clintons (imagine that), getting a Giant Meteor bumper sticker, agreeing with PP-as-establishment, things like that. Sometime in recent years, he became a JFK conspiracy buff and a 9/11 truther, and this is a generally smart history major ivy-league grad (whatever that counts for). I was told he eventually voted Clinton in the general, but I've never asked him personally. He did defend the Gabbard-Assad lovefest in more recent months though.

I really don't want to harp on the "Screw Sanders" train of discussion, because it IS decisive and fruitless in the face of this monstrosity, but the uncooperativeness does seem to never complete abate.

The PP as establishment was literally the moment I realized Sanders was fucked up.

Nate's rule of thumb for incumbent presidents is they have even odds at worst in the 47-51 range of approval. Trump's are much lower.

Guy is going to spend four years as a lame duck and people are already predicting a second term?

jtb

Banned
Hoping for a smoking gun in the Russia stuff was always the easy way out for Dems (which is why the Eric Garlands of the world get so hot and bothered by it).

Frankly, you could probably make a compelling argument that relying too heavily on the Russia stuff actually hurts the Dems politically in the long-run, by scapegoating what would otherwise be a major political realignment period in our politics. It would be similar to the post-Watergate generation of Democratic pols - ushered in a huge wave of new majorities, but little lasting political legacy, because the stain of corruption was limited to the politicians of the time, not to the party label as a whole.

Same as 2006. Culture of corruption is good for short term gains, but doesn't guarantee lasting political coalitions (though, in this see-sawing congressional era, maybe nothing does).

I wonder if Gillibrand has a response yet for when Trump calls her Hillary 2.0 at every rally and at all 3 debates.
Gillibrand will elicit a strong reaction from the bernie wing of the party. She'd be damaged goods, just like Hillary, by the time if she becomes the nominee. By then Trump will just reuse their attacks against her.

Nate's rule of thumb for incumbent presidents is they have even odds at worst in the 47-51 range of approval. Trump's are much lower.

Guy is going to spend four years as a lame duck and people are already predicting a second term?

Hasn't he been floating around 40% approval basically since February with it stabilizing lower and lower each month? All it takes is 1 bad story related to the Russian Connection at the guys approval is in the 20's.

Trump talked about how big his dick was at a debate. They don't matter in the era of social networking
I mean, we can't seriously say a lot of people (including lots of Dems) won't believe she is though. she's way more savvy than hillary but she's still the white blonde female new york senator who directly replaced her. It's gonna be a thing.

sphagnum

Banned
lol Sam Harris had Charles Murray on his show and basically goes all in agreeing that racial intelligence is genetic but covers it by saying "we have to judge people individually!"

sangreal

I mean, we can't seriously say a lot of people (including lots of Dems) won't believe she is though. she's way more savvy than hillary but she's still the white blonde female new york senator who directly replaced her. It's gonna be a thing.

I think it's a real problem for her, I just don't think it's a problem because it will come up in a debate. Tom Perez can't even run a fundraising operation because idiots think he is too close to Clinton

Hoping for a smoking gun in the Russia stuff was always the easy way out for Dems

Though at the same time, some are altogether too eager to close the book on it, after very little thorough public investigation has happened. Just as the Republicans want, and soul-searching and serious investigation can occur simultaneously.

benjipwns

Banned
Hasn't he been floating around 40% approval basically since February with it stabilizing lower and lower each month? All it takes is 1 bad story related to the Russian Connection at the guys approval is in the 20's.
His net approval average jumped five points when he bombed Syria.

There's 191 other countries in the world.

Just sayin.

I think it's a real problem for her, I just don't think it's a problem because it will come up in a debate. Tom Perez can't even run a fundraising operation because idiots think he is too close to Clinton
oh yeah. the debates didn't matter. but it was just food for thought since that's what she'll prep an answer for.

jtb

Banned
Speaking of the Syria thing, it's pretty insane how small and short-lived the Osama bump was. Partisanship is a hell of a drug.

Man, a 955 point increase in net approval would be tremendous!

Math brought to you by Trump University.

Ron Fournier's gonna have a field day with this one.

Speaking of the Syria thing, it's pretty insane how small and short-lived the Osama bump was. Partisanship is a hell of a drug.

A Republican candidate could be 15 times as evil and incompetent as Trump (how, I am not sure) and still win if they were the SoS who brought down Bin Laden.

benjipwns

Banned
A Republican candidate could be 15 times as evil and incompetent as Trump (how, I am not sure) and still win if they were the SoS who brought down Bin Laden.
Wow, are you really making the claim that Obama and all the rest of the chain of command were just figureheads for Hillary "Al Gore 2.0" Clinton's secret failed administration?

#undergroundhillaryclub is at war with one another.

Centuries from now, questions will be on the tip of everyone's tongue - what led to the downfall of the US Democratic Party? How did we allow this to happen?

Historians and political scientists will hem and haw over various contributing factors, contexts, etc. Debates in the back rooms of clubs and bars, decorated with tattered campaign posters of politicians past, will echo throughout the country for hours at a time. Debate will usually be silenced and consensus reached however by the first one to utter this name.

"Heath Mello."

The thinking men and women around the table will pause for a moment, nod in solemn agreement, and drink silently as a universally understood means of putting a button on the current conversation, ready to talk about more pressing matters like the ruling class of fifty-foot tall termites.

Dan

No longer boycotting the Wolfenstein franchise
john oliver doing the lord's work tonight by dispelling the mythology of ivanka and jared
I've been trying to wage this battle for a year now. So many people are deluded. But then, so many people deluded themselves into thinking Donald Trump stood for things he actively disproved constantly via words and actions. It's no wonder some are fooled by their meaningless public personas.

The Democrats on the committee haven't really raised any alarms that we should be worried about it
We haven't heard a peep out of the Senate Intelligence Committee in nearly a month, right? We got the broad hearings from analysts and whatnot, and that vague promise that Jared Kushner would someday talk to them. I don't think the committee is moving slow out of deliberate malice or sabotage like the House's, but it's certainly crawling.

Drkirby

Corporate Apologist
His net approval average jumped five points when he bombed Syria.

There's 191 other countries in the world.

Just sayin.

Hey now, the exact number of nations is under debate. Some put the number at over 200. The UN currently says there is 195 nations (And notably doesn't consider Taiwan a separate nation from China)

What I'm saying here, we can easily make up more nations for our bombing needs, 191 is not the limit.

Sanders decided to chime in on the Berkeley protests against Coulter

http://m.huffpost.com/us/entry/us_58fb7006e4b00fa7de14bc3d?ncid=inblnkushpmg00000009

Funny I don't remember language even half this strong back when his supporters went nuts in Nevada
Oh no, he has a differing opinion. Who fucking cares.

The hand wringing over Bernie Sanders has gone too far. I don't like him, most people here don't like him. But he's the most popular politician in the country right now and does more good than bad for my side. And his position on college campuses isn't even different from Obama's. And I'd imagine the vast majority of America agrees with them on this.

dakini

As a Nebraskan, seeing write-ups in the Atlantic and NYT about Democrats in this state is both bizarre and kinda flattering on some level lol.

kirblar

Gillibrand will elicit a strong reaction from the bernie wing of the party. She'd be damaged goods, just like Hillary, by the time if she becomes the nominee. By then Trump will just reuse their attacks against her.
She won't, mostly because she's a really good politician. The shtick w/ voting against all of his nominees? They ate that right up.

The hand wringing over Bernie Sanders has gone too far. I don't like him, most people here don't like him. But he's the most popular politician in the country right now and does more good than bad for my side. And his position on college campuses isn't even different from Obama's. And I'd imagine the vast majority of America agrees with them on this.

Does he do more good than bad? The Heath Mello/Ossoff nonsense certainly wasn't "good," though good on Bernie for eventually putting out a statement (even if I think the damage was already done).

It would mostly be solved by Bernie thinking about what he says before he says it, tbh

pigeon

Banned
lol Sam Harris had Charles Murray on his show and basically goes all in agreeing that racial intelligence is genetic but covers it by saying "we have to judge people individually!"

What a surprise.

Do you have a link to that? I have a terrible friend I need to yell at.

As a Nebraskan, seeing write-ups in the Atlantic and NYT about Democrats in this state is both bizarre and kinda flattering on some level lol.
I remember poking around about something and discovering that Breitbart had written an article about a town (is it a city at a population of 44k?) about 30 minutes near where I grew up, it was incredibly surreal as someone from another place in the middle of nowhere.

tbm24

If you're gonna go by the most popular politician title then by virtue he's going to be more scrutinized than the rest.

Maybe this is just more prevalent on the internet where people are more annoying than usual (sometimes), but I'm just tired of the people who treat every word Bernie utters like gospel and the de facto liberal belief. If Bernie is being propped up like that by a certain faction of the party then he (and they) should be able to deal with disagreements.

The college campus thing is dumb, but I'm really just irked about the Ossoff/Mello stuff still. Like I'm glad he endorsed Ossoff but Jesus, why even open your mouth sometimes.

Don't you dare try to sooth PoliGAF's hate boner for Bernie Sanders.

sphagnum

Banned
Somehow I don't think that college students and Antifa protestors, who almost certainly preferred Bernie over Hillary, care too much about Bernie saying "Don't shut down their speeches".

Bernie has always been a social democrat, not an actual revolutionary, despite saying political revolution a lot. It's not like he's really going to have a vastly different position on this issue from mainstream Democrats.

Don't you dare try to sooth PoliGAF's hate boner for Bernie Sanders.

Ahh yes that's all it is, irrational hatred, not like it is rooted in things he says and does, certainly not.

He's putting himself out there as a major face (if not the face), thus the things he says, how he says them, what he decides to compromise on, what he decides can't be compromised on are especially fair game to talk about. In short his words are news and we're not fighting an election anymore.

I have said repeatedly that I felt he had a place in the party moving forward but I am uncomfortable with the idea of him as the kind of Progressive King Maker he's trying to position himself as. He shouldn't have had to been dragged into having to say something nice about Ossoff for example.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom