• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Polygon - Exclusive: 19 Minutes of PHANTOM DUST Remastered Gameplay

Man, people need to relax. This is a port. If you thought it was a remake, now you know it's not. Easy as that.

Super impressed with the technical wizardry, hope this opens up possibilities of more OG Xbox games.

Probably highly unlikely but I would be so happy if KOTOR got a re-release

xabbott

qwe.png

Adam also said this. But i dunno it doesn't seem like it's anything other than a port graphically.

I certainly see no "wizardry".

To do what they did without source code is pretty impressive.

This thread is so strange, it makes me wonder why Mega Man Collection or Rare Replay can be released as ports and people understand what they're getting. Maybe if they would have branded it as part of some non-collection like "Xbox Originals" expectations would be in check?

Not Spaceghost

Spaceghost
It looks just like I remember it but with cleaner textures. but yeah, it's really the bare minimum when it comes to what I expect from a remaster, which is fine, it's true to what I remember and it works on new hardware.
I actually have my original disk somewhere around here lol I should compare.

Either way I am excited to get a chance to play this online again, I missed out on being able to do so because I didn't have xbl back then :p only did LAN.

HStallion

Now what's the next step in your master plan?

This thread is so strange, it makes me wonder why Mega Man Collection or Rare Replay can be released as ports and people understand what they're getting. Maybe if they would have branded it as part of some non-collection like "Xbox Originals" expectations would be in check?

Some people like shitting on MS any chance they can get and the situation is further exacerbated by the fact people still seem to be very much butt hurt over the cancellation of the full on remake. Not that I can blame them as that stung after getting hyped up for it at E3.

Sotha_Sil

Awesome bring more OG Xbox games over with online added

Crimson Skies
Otogi
Mechassult
Blinx

OG Xbox had some great IPs that they never took advantage off.

X1/Scorpio sequels to Halo, Fable, Blood Wake, Crimson Skies, Otoki, Phantom Dust, Mechassault, Blinx, and Gunvalkyrie to go with later IP like Forza and Gears would have given Microsoft a great exclusive lineup. I would have bought some of those on PC.

Alas, all that came from the OG years was Halo MCC, Halo 5, and now a Phantom Dust port.

Snakeyes

Looking good, though the system requirements for the GPU seem a little high for what's essentially an uprezzed port of a 6th gen game. Was hoping for this to be playable on integrated graphics.

I think it has cleaned up quite nicely and a great 'proof of concept' for other titles. It can't take too much work surely, particularly for games where they do have the source code.

My vote is to set these devs to work on a dozen or so of other great OG Xbox games.

Sorry. It was a heat of the moment post and I did forget about the part where they had to essentially reverse engineer the entire game. Phantom Dust is arguably my favorite title for the original Xbox, and I'm just disheartened that the port doesn't seem to be getting the same treatments that most modern ports of older games.
That's understandable. I'm looking forward to playing this for the first time; I've heard nothing but good things about the original.

you guys (the ones who don't masturbate to graphics) are going to have a blast with this game, it's a game i always thought was way ahead of its time, the only thing Microsoft has to worry about his the visual first impressions judging by this forum it may turns a few people off, you just have to make sure they try it and they'll get hooked.

Looks great especially when considering the situation; I was very late to Phantom Dust but even 8 years later the artstyle made the game standout on it's original hardware. Looking forward to completing the campaign and, of course, finally getting to try the multiplayer!

My personal story on PD is that I missed it on the original Xbox. I'm pretty ashamed of that since I adore all of Futatsugi-san's games, have all of the Panzers in both Japanese and English, including Saga (SEGA GIVE IT TO CODE MYSTICS!), and I somehow missed this game.

256px-Panzercover.jpg

Lets go.

The amount of "it's not worth it" posts in here are really surprising me. You barely ever see dev teams reverse engineer entire games and build them back up again - the amount of work required for this to even exist is pretty incredible for such a small team, I will be definitely picking this up since it's so obviously a labor of love and probably an awesome game.

Gestault

I'm seeing more people than I think is reasonable basically insistent that it would be better if this didn't exist.

There's lots of interesting info in that video, I really enjoyed listening. It is a shame the footage itself is just single player stuff, that doesn't do the gameplay justice. But Phantom Dust is one of the greatest multiplayer games ever made, so when it's released it won't have any problems finding fans.

The re-release looks pretty good. The only thing that really sticks out to me is the user interface. 30fps is deeply unfortunate but not unexpected. I guess I'll buy a single 30fps game this year, this is Phantom Dust!

The stuff they can do with skill changes could lead to some really crazy 'festival' events.

HStallion

Now what's the next step in your master plan?
For the developer reading this thread, are you going to start creating new content for the game if it does well? Like new skills or maps?

Zeta Oni

One more question if you don't mind:

You mentioned coming across a "treasure trove" of pre-release material and concept art while working on this project, is there any chance that stuff might ever be available to the fans?

I feel that it would be a good idea to use it for the achievement art, but a whole art book on the game wouldn't hurt either *hint*hint* ;)

Mentok

Banned
Honestly, just getting released with online play was all I needed. 30fps was expected. Arbitrary resolution is good to hear.

The game is godlike. The card game aspect makes it a hard game for the uninitiated to appreciate from just a video look.
Couldn't have said it better myself. I really hope people don't overlook this game. Such a unique and rewarding experience.

Speevy

Banned
I normally don't get snobbish about this stuff, but if you haven't played Phantom Dust for the original Xbox, you really don't get to make comments on how good or bad it looks.

rejoice.png

I got my start in earnest with Phantom Dust by my friend(hey, the one posting below me!) basically donating me tons of in-game cash. Such a cool ass feature.

Ha, don't expect the same for this version, at least on release. I'm pretty sure I used a hacked save file on 360 to donate to you last time.

I have to admit the talk about unlocking all the skills for a couple bucks has me tempted. I've played through the game legitimately a couple times already, and it might be fun to hit the multiplayer on day one with the nastiest stuff I can imagine.

I'll need you to create a 0-2 aura cost arsenal sometime for team matches. We're going to Vicious Balance the shit out of randoms.

Battlechili

Banned
This game looks neat. Very flawed, but interesting nonetheless. Reminds me of some JRPGs.
I'm glad Microsoft is taking the time to re-release old titles like this rather than letting them die with time. I never owned an original Xbox, and I don't want to have to go and pick one up just to play some of its older titles. I just hope Microsoft keeps this up and brings us Blinx and Blinx 2 remastered someday.Though, does anyone know if the PC version will be on Steam? Not really thrilled by the idea of buying from the Windows Store.
I'm guessing it's all emulator based. I don't know how else they could do it.
You don't need to emulate a game to remaster it; some remasters were done just by taking what was already put on a disc and just touching up that.

Ishmae1

One more question if you don't mind:

You mentioned coming across a "treasure trove" of pre-release material and concept art while working on this project, is there any chance that stuff might ever be available to the fans?

I feel that it would be a good idea to use it for the achievement art, but a whole art book on the game wouldn't hurt either *hint*hint* ;)

Every achievement in Phantom Dust features unreleased concept art that I chose (so you can hate on me if you don't like them) with the intent of having cool backgrounds for your Xbox dash. I love that feature and am always bummed when a game doesn't make cool achievement reward art that you can use if you're a fan.

Hexer06

Every achievement in Phantom Dust features unreleased concept art that I chose (so you can hate on me if you don't like them) with the intent of having cool backgrounds for your Xbox dash. I love that feature and am always bummed when a game doesn't make cool achievement reward art that you can use if you're a fan.

That's sooo fucking awesome! I love achievement art. Can't wait to check it out. Thx for coming into this thread to clear stuff up for everyone. Can't wait to play this again. It's been too long! :D

Kssio_Aug

I normally don't get snobbish about this stuff, but if you haven't played Phantom Dust for the original Xbox, you really don't get to make comments on how good or bad it looks.

Hmmm... the game can actually be more interesting to play than it looks, but we can only talk about it by what they're showing.

It doesn't look bad though... not for a re-release since apparently they weren't able to remaster it.

I said earlier in this thread that I wouldn't buy it. But since it may be pretty cheap (as the original game was only $20) I may give it a try. If they decide to make it free I'll be pretty happy.

While it's true that the North American release from Majesco was $20, Phantom Dust wasn't actually a budget game in origin. (Microsoft chose not to release it in the US, so that's why Majesco stepped in.) It was a full price game when originally released in Japan.

It sounds like this re-release will be extremely reasonably priced, so I'm not suggesting anybody worry, but we can't really infer anything from the original NA release's price.

I don't need ya money, nerd.

It's Mecha's time to pay it forward and make it rain.

Excellent.

Did you ever beat the campaign, actually? I know everybody automatically smirks when this is said, but the story is legitimately fantastic. Probably my favorite game ending.

Zeta Oni

Love the feature as well, and I look forward to seeing what you've picked for us.

If the stuff released on twitter is any indication of what's to come, id say you have nothing to worry about.

Spade

Very nice! Looking forward to seeing them :)

EmiPrime

I wouldn't call it "just like". I think you should go and read up on some of the DF analyses on those games you listed.

On the other hand, they've done things here with PD that they didn't do in those HD remasters that you listed, like putting in online and being able to balance on the fly.

In any case, Adam has posted calling it a re-release, so that settles that. My point was that it wasn't "stupid" or "dumb" or "shitposting" if people came in disappointed based on how MS was wording some of their teases. I don't think prior to this thread, you'll be able to find anyone from MS calling it just a "re-release".

They're doing what Bluepoint did with their PS2 to PS3 ports, not sure what you are getting at, and we called those remasters. MS can call it whatever they want, these match what most gamers would understand to be HD/4K remasters. A mere re-release doesn't get a massive resolution bump, higher res textures, higher quality cinematics, AA and AF up the wazoo on Scorpio. Loftis said it's using the original assets but it's not, it's using source assets.

MS are underselling this, I think it looks great and would love for other OG Xbox games to get the same treatment.

Hexer06

Love the feature as well, and I look forward to seeing what you've picked for us.

If the stuff released on twitter is any indication of what's to come, id say you have nothing to worry about.

Hey Zeta, you're making the OT for this when it comes out right? It'll be cool if we could have a phantom dust gaf group. Maybe someone can make an Xbox Club for it?

Awesome. This is the best use of achievements.

Zeta Oni

Hey Zeta, you're making the OT for this when it comes out right? It'll be cool if we could have a phantom dust gaf group. Maybe someone can make an Xbox Club for it?

Yeah, I was planning on doing just that.

PhantomGAF will be up in a little bit.

KageMaru

This is awesome. Love it when developers add rewards to achievements and trophies.

They're doing what Bluepoint did with their PS2 to PS3 ports, not sure what you are getting at, and we called those remasters. MS can call it whatever they want, these match what most gamers would understand to be HD/4K remasters. A mere re-release doesn't get a massive resolution bump, higher res textures, higher quality cinematics, AA and AF up the wazoo on Scorpio. Loftis said it's using the original assets but it's not, it's using source assets.

MS are underselling this, I think it looks great and would love for other OG Xbox games to get the same treatment.

Not sure this will have AA on either the XBO or Scorpio. I thought this was just a straight port with no real enhancements.

I think that definitely would help with expectations.

They said original assets so I don't get where you're getting high res textures. From everything that we know, it's not very much like what the PS2-PS3 remasters are at all. Specifically because they didn't have the source.

This always looked interesting, so Im giving it a shot. Never got hooked on a game with online multiplayer, maybe this will do the trick :D

SAB CA

Sketchbook Picasso
Looks like what I'd expected... except a bit better, as there's a LOT of things like signs and text in even modern games, that look crappier than what's going on here.

Also it's pretty nice how much stuff (like broken bars on stairs, or the individual TVs in the hub) is built by actual polygons, rather than just texture trickery.

To me, this makes it feel closer to a lower budget / small team modern passion project, than an old game with a minor update. Even if this was a new game, I'd still buy it. Especially because it's that kind of quirky JP game that not only has a hard time existing on XB1, but even still has a hard time just getting made, regardless of platform.

And thanks for that. That Carnival concept in the Polygon vid is quite nice. It really does add some understated value to the games, as solid background art is something you'd have to pay for on many a media device. Heck, once of the first things I did with Custom BG's was to use some of the Crimson Dragon achievement art as a BG, such as:

83929-hi.jpg

Somehow this feels thematically similar...

Hexer06

Yeah, I was planning on doing just that.

PhantomGAF will be up in a little bit.

Awesome! I'm looking forward to it.

Edit: perfect timing for my reply, lol. I'll send a request when I'm home from work.
Edit2: Nvm, didn't know it was so easy to do from the phone lol. Request sent! :D

It's in the video in the OP.

Hmmmm... I've watched this twice now and I still don't hear where you're getting this. Timestamp?

I see Adam saying that the textures are the originals, you just couldn't see what they looked like on the original Xbox. Also effects are turned on from the original and converted to modern equivalents on modern DX.

Dinjoralo

Hmmmm... I've watched this twice now and I still don't hear where you're getting this. Timestamp?

I see Adam saying that the textures are the originals, you just couldn't see what they looked like on the original Xbox. Also effects are turned on from the original and converted to modern equivalents on modern DX.

Here ya go, fam. He mentions they're using uncompressed source assets for a lot of the game, like the textures.

Some people like shitting on MS any chance they can get and the situation is further exacerbated by the fact people still seem to be very much butt hurt over the cancellation of the full on remake. Not that I can blame them as that stung after getting hyped up for it at E3.

Look if you guys are so concerned of negative posts, message a mod to change the title of the thread.

As long as it says Remastered people will come in here expecting better looking footage than this. Hell even Polygon has changed the title of the youtube video to 'HD Re-release' for a reason.

Furthermore it's a problem for me that while they are keeping the textures, model quality as it is, they are planning to still add paid DLC and save card data clientside, which shows they want this game to have legs. Why can't they at least update the IQ too then?

Top Bottom